*spin off* What is the correct response?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 back*again

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

This is a spin off from the high risk of Downs Syndrome thread.....a few years ago my aunt would have been in a similar situation, her unborn child was high risk downs baby and they chose to not test further or terminate.  Their son doesn't have Downs.  I can't remember how I responded to their news of the high risk, but with my 20-20 hindsight I'm thinking it probably wasn't ideal.  So what is "ideal"?

I have learnt only through experience what a mother who suspects her son has ASD DOESN'T want to hear from her friends.  I got so experienced with hearing what I didn't want to hear, I wanted to write a book on what not to say.....the only problem is, by the time someone reads the book, they've probably already said the wrong thing.  And yes, I'll admit it....a few years back when a friend of mine told me her son had just been diagnosed with ASD I said the wrong thing (same kinda thing people said to me).

#2 Lees75

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

DD had a number of soft markers for Downs Syndrome at her 19 week scan.  We chose not to test further and in all honesty, decided not to really talk about it further. I can't really remember anyone saying anything to me that majorly upset me.

#3 TillyTake2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I don't know what the right response would be but I'd probably ask them how they are feeling about it & go from there.

I haven't read the tread though so I may be way way off!

#4 TillyTake2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Where ia the thread? I can't find it...

#5 JuniPooks_

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I would respond by asking how they were going and feeling about it and offering my love and support, whatever their decisions regarding testing and the pregnancy.

I copped attitude for not having the scanning done. Apparently that was irresponsible of me. You can't win whatever you do. I wish people were less worried about giving their opinion and more worried about the person in front of them having a rough time.

#6 Super Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

The correct response will probably vary but for me, in my situation I would have just liked people to ask further, not try and cheer me up or make assumptions about what they thought was going to happen. Responses like, "So what's the next step?" Or, "Has the Dr/hospital given you any further information about what they've found?" Just questions, not statements. And don't try and brush it off with, "Oh don't worry, you'll be ok." Because when you do that you take away the persons oportunity to discuss their fears or worries.

I actually did get cranky at people who told me 'not to worry' because I was worried and I needed to talk about it but telling me not to worry just meant they weren't willing to listen.

Do t try and make jokes about it, don't try to cheer them up, just let them talk if they want to, ask a question or two but let them lead the way.

#7 Only_Ethan

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

I think it may depend on the person and the situation. For example, my sister had a 1 in 30 chance of her child having downs and I said something like "No matter what happens, we will be here with you and know that you're a strong person and will be a great Mum whether the child has Down's syndrome or not". She then said that they were having an amino and would probably terminate if the baby had downs! I was shocked, and I really didn't know what to say then! Turns out her baby did not have downs.

#8 bees-knees

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Although I've not been in the situation, my feeling would be that, as PPs have mentioned, just a "how are you feeling about that? What happens next?" type of response would be most useful.

#9 trishalishous

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

"what a difficult situation. How can I help?"
We were high risk and chose not to abort or have further testing. The worst comment was my older sister exclaiming how we must be nuts to want to keep 'it'
'it' is now 2.5 and shes delightful, with zero of the predicted issues biggrin.gif

#10 mpjp

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thing is, everyone is different. What might upset me may not bother you, and vice versa.

#11 Froger

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 29/12/2012, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, everyone is different. What might upset me may not bother you, and vice versa.

Yes this.

I was given a 1 in 10 chance with one of my children from the scan and blood test. I didn't have any further testing, as I considered the risk of miscarriage was too high. I did find it an incredibly stressful pregnancy not knowing though.

I went into premature labour at 27 weeks, and I can remember talking to the doctors and they asked me if when the baby was born if I wanted any treatment for her if she did have DS.  I suppose for some people this would have of been something they wanted to discuss, but I was absolutely horrified. Of course I wanted my precious baby to be given every chance of life, and to be given every possible treatment! I felt really unsafe in the hospital after that, and I also felt my baby was unsafe.  sad.gif  However I suppose other people would have of been grateful to be able to have such a frank discussion with the medical staff.

Anyway, luckily my premature labour was able to be stopped and I went home, but I was terribly distressed. But of course the medical staff weren't to know I would be so upset. I guess this is a necessary conversation they have with alot of pregnant women.

Edited by SarahM72, 29 December 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

People usually don't know what to say when confronted with someone else's bad or sad news, so they often say what they *think* is the right thing....but usually it's not. And there might not be a "right" thing to say in each situation.

I work in a job when occasionally complete strangers have to tell me their baby or child has died, and after years of it, I still don't know what to say so I limit it to "I'm so sorry, that's terribly sad" and continue on with business as usual. But hearing it always, without exception, rips my heart out and tears it to shreds and I usually have to leave my desk afterwards and head to the bathroom for a bit. But none of this is ever conveyed to the person who told me, and I'm sure a lot of them go away thinking I simply didn't care.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

I think all you can do is congratulate just like you would any other pregnancy and then try to gauge how they are feeling.

I did find this article good, http://katrinastonoff.wordpress.com/2007/1...-down-syndrome/ wonder what other's think?

#14 Overtherainbow

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't think there's one answer but it would depend on the individual and the relationship you have with that person.

#15 EuphoricDysphoria

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think maybe the correct response IS to say how sorry you are. It is natural to express sorrow at the possibility of a baby that may not be the perfectly healthy child that everyone wants.

It's the flippant comments that are made while trying to lighten the mood that can cause the insult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.