2+ kids and shopping

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique Feral

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I find that if I take one child shopping, they are very well behaved and all is well.

But if I take 2 kids shopping, they are both horrible. They run around, lie/crawl on the floor, touch all the merchandise, play with it, run up and down isles, round the racks, under the clothes, wrestle with each other, swing on poles, etc etc.

They are 5 and 7 and I thought by this age they would be starting to settle down. Anyone else have the same issue? How do you deal with it? I've tired bribery but it doesn't help, just means I have to put up with the crying at the end of the shopping trip.

I always try to go out without them, but they are both on holidays until school starts, as the youngest has finished daycare.

I have things to do like going to the bank, ARGH!

#2 mmuc83

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I give them a "pep" talk before we go in, and basically if you misbehave we go straight home... a few times i have been at the shop for not even 2 minutes and had to get into the car to go home. It is inconvenient, but i had to follow through otherwise they would never listen to me!

Now, thankfully, they are pretty good and immediately stop when i threaten the car! :-)

#3 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

OP I will take my 5 young kids shopping with me and I am pretty firm and I don't know why, but my kids just know that they will get into a lot of trouble if they muck up.   Don't get me wrong, they will have a turn now and then and try and run off and look at things, but I just have to hold a tight ship because if I let one run around, the rest will follow and that's not good  wink.gif

#4 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have a 6 and 8 year old. I take them shopping often. I still get quite a few verbal I wants, but they don't gets.  

I usually give them a good pep talk before we go in, make it clear what we are or not shopping for, what we will buy (ie sushi, a cone from maccas). They have never been runners though. I don't ever bribe, not for shopping. My kids haven't done the run through racks thing - but I've always been pretty strict about the way they behave when they shop since they could walk by themselves through the shops (probably around 2 they didn't use a pram at all). So I guess just the expectations before we go in. If they did misbehave like that and didn't respond to a stern talking to in the shopping centre, that it'd be out the door in a jiffy, and straight into their rooms when they got home for time out.

#5 mnsr621

I also have a 5 and 7 year old and have the same problem, if they behave they get a milkshake or something when we have finished if they don't they get nothing.  They often get nothing so not sure how much help I can be!

#6 Unatheowl

I actually avoid taking mine anywhere.  No, I'm not joking.  Mine are 2 and 4 and when I have to do ao grocery shop I take half a Valium original.gif. Problem solved !

#7 snuffles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Mine are 6, 7 and 9.

I have always been very strict with shopping rules.  But if they do try it on, now that they are old enough to understand future consequences, I can remove all sorts of things, like computer time, TV time, special activities etc.  Each of them has their 'price' and I don't have much trouble with them.  (They still do ask repeatedly for things at times, but my irritated voice usually works.)

(When they were small we we had rules like, if you don't walk nicely next to the pram then you travel IN the pram etc).

#8 liveworkplay

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

No Advice. Mine have always been well behaved in public so much so that if all hell was breaking loose at home i would bundle the three of them up and go walk around the shops for some sanity laughing2.gif

#9 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 28/12/2012, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually avoid taking mine anywhere.  No, I'm not joking.  Mine are 2 and 4 and when I have to do ao grocery shop I take half a Valium original.gif. Problem solved !

please tell me you're not serious about the Valium!

#10 Fr0g

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is time consuming but ultimately rewarding! Instead of one shopping list you are in control of, whilst wrestling and wrangling the kids; Make 3 lists.

One is your main list with obscure items. You keep this one.

The remaining items are divided into a list for each of your kids. They are in charge of finding what is on each list.

Encourage yout kids to help each other out if they need a hand.

Meaningful responsibility is great for all ages, and can take the misery out of the supermarket.

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 28 December 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#11 Aribika

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

My only 2 words of advice are 'Online Shopping'.  Sorry that's all I've got.

Lorraine

#12 ~Mummy~Mel~

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

DS 4yrs acts up no matter wether by himself or with siblings. DD 6 is great, she just loves to help!

#13 Overtherainbow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mine are 6,8 and 10.  I give them jobs to do in the shop.  They love the fruit and veg area.  I have my list and work my way through it delegating items to each child based on ability.  They have become more apt and selecting good quality fruit and veg and I don't have to check quality anymore.

I've found they are usually painful because they see they have your attention and want to make the most of it.  By spending some time together first, his helps.

My guys empty the trolley in my order and pack it back in the trolley at the other end.  They also help put it away at home.

They all get pocket money and know anything they want, they have to pay for so it reduces nagging a lot.

They have to stay with me in the shops though I'm starting to send the older 2 in pairs to pick up some items.

#14 Cath42

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

I actually find it easier to take all four of mine than to only take two. For some reason, when I take all four they behave pretty well. When I only take two, they're awful. Weird.

#15 ~Supernova~

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

At those ages I would be expecting much better behaviour TBH. If DD acted like that, the sh*t would hit the fan. She used to be horrible to take shopping several years ago, and my rule was always if you act up - we leave, no ifs, no buts. I've left a couple of full trolleys behind before (hence why I always do cold last!). I vividly recall one time she threw a huge tantrum, was down on the floor, the works. I picked her up sideways and carried her straight out of there. But I might just be a meanie lol.

What still DOES occur, NON STOP, is the "I wants". They just get ignored. I have acquired an amazing ability to tune out over the years lol.

#16 R2B2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Shopping with 3 has killed my sanity. I no longer have the desire to just wander around the shops for a casual browse grin.gif

#17 Froger

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I have a rule for my younger kids that if they touch anything I do not buy it. So even if I was going to buy it, if one of the kids touch it, I do not buy that thing. Looking is with your eyes only!

#18 luke's mummu

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Do you really need to go shopping? I will do a quick grocery with 2 kids, but that's all really. Big shop = online shopping or weekends when DH is home. Clothing/homewares etc = weekends only.

#19 Steggles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Our mantra is "look with our eyes, don't touch with our hands". We go to the shops usually a couple of times a week.

#20 melaine

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I have one perfect child at the shops. I delight in taking him. He's never been a runner, even when he was out of the pram at 24 months while I was distracted by a newborn.

My other child though - let's just say I wouldn't have been shopping with him and a newborn! All the things that worked with number 1 (clear expectations, pep talks, following through with leaving etc) fail with him.

He runs, he hides (and he is good at hiding!), he drops to the floor. All I can hope is that he grows out of it! I'm hoping that by the time they are 5 and 7 (currently 3 and 5) they will be easier to take to the shops...

#21 Lil Chickens

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Katakacpk @ 28/12/2012, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids haven't done the run through racks thing - but I've always been pretty strict about the way they behave when they shop since they could walk by themselves through the shops (probably around 2 they didn't use a pram at all). So I guess just the expectations before we go in. If they did misbehave like that and didn't respond to a stern talking to in the shopping centre, that it'd be out the door in a jiffy, and straight into their rooms when they got home for time out.

Mine are 3.5 and 1.5 and this is how I am now with them, we rarely use the pram and the worst I get is that DS will stop and look at things for a LONG time.  DD did a runner once at about 1.5yo and the next time she wore a backpack leash.  Never did a runner again.  DS has never done a runner.

I never bribe, they behave or they don't go.  They always want to come. (So I guess that is a bribe).

They also like to help so DD gets a trolley at the supermarket, the both get a wheeled basket at the fruit shop (it's never got more than one or two other shoppers so we don't bother others).  They behave because they want some of the fruit and veg in their baskets.

#22 glasnost

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I so hear you OP! My mum grew up in the country and has a theory that children are a bit like dogs- on their own they willl behave however put two or more together and you have trouble. My kids are a walking talking example of the pack mentality theory.

I don't have any advice other than to avoid it at all costs!

#23 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#24 Excentrique Feral

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have removed them from the shops for tantrums in the past. So they don't throw tantrums in the shop, they just act like a pair of monkeys. They think shops are their playground.

I am constantly giving pep talks, growling at them, I often sound like an army drill sargent, it doesn't work. I've put them on the naughty chair once home. I've involved them in as much of the shopping as I can by letting them choose which type of item they prefer, etc. Nothing works!

They are just embarrassing.  sad.gif

#25 Spa Gonk

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I hear you.  I can manage one kid and the baby fine, but the two kid thing is difficult.  With mine, on their own they know how to behave.  But fall into the pack mentality when together.  If one does anything remotely wrong, the other copies too as they think they can get away with it.  They probably know it is harder to manage two.  

I had shopping sussed but now it is school holidays, really need to brave it.  Currently have hardly any food in the house and to a relative to bring me milk today!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.