Prams & carseats & all that jazz

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BecW292

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hello mums and mums to be.
I fall into the mums to be category and having just hit 14 weeks I finally feel safe to embrace my pregnancy and start planning, and shopping!
DH & I went looking at strollers and car seats and all the other accessories we need to get but we were a little overwhelmed at all the choice.
So I was wondering if I could please get people's opinions on what brands are good and what to avoid. I've been told the safe & sound car seats are great ("expensive but worth it") but if anyone has had a bad experience I'd like to hear why I should avoid.
Likewise & more so with prams - what is a good 4 wheel pram that will last baby to toddler  is lightweight and most importantly easy to fold up/out. I swear some you prams you need an engineering degree to operate! Also we have a Subaru forester (not a new one) so if anyone can recommend a pram that fits well in the boot that would be great.
The opinions and experiences of EB mums who have actually used is far more valuable to me than the shop reviews.
Sorry for the long post, but thank you for your time.
Bec.

#2 gonggirl

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Each to their own, it is a tough one and all depends on the budget. I for example have 3 prams and 2 children. 1st pram bought out if pure excitement, it was way too heavy for me 15kg, but we used it to jog with only, had 3 wheels and the front one didn't move made it very hard to get around. Then grabbed a steelcraft profile stroller wasn't expensive and was 7kg could use from birth was a great stroller but probably not good enough to use child after child although for the price I would buy again.
Lastly I bought a steelcraft dlx strider has been an excellent pram I liked that you can pop the capsule in when they are little, is a touch heavy but I'm fine with it. My BF has a Phil and teds which she loves although everything u buy extra like sun covers etc. it really depends on ur needs for us going over grass due to DHs sport was important as is something that is easy to steer cause we walk a bit.
Carseats - much of a muchness and really depends on ur budget another thing we have a few of. I have an infa turnatot for when they are born, pretty much stay in this til they are big enough to get in a maxi rider to a SMS hi liner I also have a steelcraft capsule I did look at the sns when I bought this but I liked that it can fit in my pram. Not much help I know.

#3 Natttmumm

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

We bought a baby jogger city select and the safe n sound capsule. Also has a second seat when u add to the family

#4 Natttmumm

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

We bought a baby jogger city select and the safe n sound capsule. Also has a second seat when u add to the family

#5 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi there. We have a mountain buggy swift and have no complaints. Only 10kgs, easy to fold and open, goes on all terrain, and fits easily in my Subaru outback with heaps of room to spare. I've just gotten the bassinet to use with it with this bub as it wasn't around when DS was born. But we knew that if we had #2 it would be a long time between bubs so doesn't take a second seat.

As for car seats, SNS are definitely the best. We have 2 maxi rider AHR tilt and adjust which are great, and this new bub can use as they are convertible and DS will get new SNS maxi/booster seat when the time comes. Really can't go wrong spending the money on SNS.

#6 88k

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

For a stroller I'd recommend either a Steelcraft Agile or Baby Jogger City Mini. They are very light, and you can fold them one handed. They are pretty much the same, but I prefer the look of the Agile. You can also get a capsule that clicks into either stroller. The capsule that works with the Agile is made by SNS and I've heard good things about them, they are safe and very easy to use.

For capsules maybe have a look at the CREP website which is an independent organisation that rates car seats for safety. However many of the car seats and capsules rated are old models so it's best to check the model numbers.

Good luck!

#7 misty123

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi guys

We have the valco rebel q pram and I love it. We still use it for our 21 month old (but only just as he is getting tall). Folds away easy and is nice and skinny unlike some prams that you need to go down disabled shopping isles to fit through. Would recommend checking it out.

Car seats I agree safe and sound best way to go. We hired the newborn capsual from kids safe for the first 6 months which was fine but I wouldn't do that again as the tilt and adjust which is what we bought soon after (one of the top of the range in the brand at about $400 back then) fits a newborn so wished we just had that sooner. We love it. Easy to clean, easy to use and set up.

Good luck!! So much to choose from.

#8 BecW292

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all your ideas and opinions.
I wonder if a shop like baby kingdom would let me put a pram in the boot of the car to test out space? original.gif

#9 Boyz_Mama

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

My one bit of advice would be to try to think ahead to how many kids you plan to have, and the age gaps between them.... which will give you a better idea of prams/carseats.

eg. will you need a doublepram, toddler seat attachment ??
what carseat will toddler be in (approx) when 2nd bub planned?
if 3 kids, are they narrow carseats that will fit across a backseat if needed??

we bought a SNS maxirider for our first when he outgrew the borrowed capsule... which is a fabulous carseat, but now 4 years later im pregnant with our 3rd.... its so wide it takes up lots of space and we have to squeeze 3 carseats in our small car!!! We're ditching the maxirier now, and *hopefully* going to be using a SNS booster (can't remember its name) and 2 x SNS Compaq, which are a narrow convertible 0-4yrs. Just hoping we can squeeze our hands in the gaps to do up the buckle for the booster seat each time we go somewhere!  I never even thoguht of this when buying the first carseat, but would have been valuable. Had I thought of this, we would have bought the compaq from the beginning and not the maxirider which is now a 'spare' for nana's car original.gif

Edited by Boyz_Mama, 30 December 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Nervy

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Hi! We bought a valco matrix baby which was good for newborn because it had a bassinet that you put in the top, we still use it and DS is 2.5, BUT really big i wish i got the city mini jogger, thats what we will get this time. Even though the bassinet was great, he was only it for 2.5 months, we used the bassinet for him to sleep in when we went places (put it on someones bed etc) the pram is too big and so heavy & awkward. We had a little car at the time (have a subaru outback now like you zaaca) and it took ten mins to get in the car. Then i even started to pop him in a shopping trolley as i didnt want to have to get the massive pram out! I would definatley say something small & light weight. P.S I could prob use the pram for the new baby, but its quite ratty now and food stain etc so will get a new one!

#11 vswannie

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I really agree with boyzmama about thinking ahead to future kids. By pure chance we got the sns compaq, which is fantastic - and very handy that it's so slim now we're about to have a second baby and second carseat to fit in the back. If there's any prospect of you needing to have two or three carseats in the back at one time, I'd highly recommend the sns compaq.
As for pram, we bought the bugaboo chameleon which is fabulous (but yes, very expensive). If the bugaboo donkey had existed at the time we'd have bought that - we are now upgrading to the donkey as it takes two kids (and yes - it costs roughly the same as a small second hand car but if we'd only had to buy it once rather than buying two prams to meet the needs of a second kid, would have been more affordable).

#12 gonggirl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Boyzmama has very valid questions to ask yourself. We just upgraded our car to a ford territory to fit 3 car seats comfortably, a little extreme maybe but our captiva 5 wasn't cutting it especially when we did a grocery shop with a pram taking up all the room original.gif

I tried the same thing as nervy except my husband scrubbed and washed our strider now it doesn't look bad sad.gif still got a few months to work on him...

#13 MrsShine

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I don't have a baby yet, but when I was a nanny I pushed a lot of strollers! I found the bugaboo chameleon and frog a massive PITA to put up and down, definitely can't be done one handed!

The swift is great, but as you say - you want a 4 wheeler not a 3 wheeler, another ting to consider with that model is bub cannot face you. (Other than in the bassinet).

I always really liked the Baby jogger city select - can add 2nd seat, isn't too expensive, looks good, well made etc. etc. haven't experienced putting this one down myself though.

A lot of my English friends rave about the Maclaren techno, very small when collapsed and easy to push, but not really suitable for rough terrain. Plus you can't out handbags and shopping on the handles as it makes the stroller tip up!

I'm loving the silver cross surf myself right now, and the Phil & Ted's promenade but the surf has a tiny basket underneath and cannot add a 2nd seat :/

Most baby shops will allow you to take their floor model to your car if its nearby to test it out with a shop assistant.

P.S a lot of my friends have hired the baby capsule for the stroller to car thing (SNS maxi cosi etc.) for around $50 for 6 months, great value I think.

Good luck with your choice!

#14 Feral llama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

With my first, I got a SNS meridian AHR.. When looking for car seats- the taller the better and rear facing to at least 12kg were the big things for me.
I also got a cheap solid 4 wheel pram that is called a childcare Hola. It was great for walking where there are no footpaths and where it is rough. Also great for steering as the front wheels lock and unlock. Although it's big ish, it folds down really well and the seat comes off easily and is reversible.
We also got a small umbrella stroller later say about 18months old so it could say in the car. Honestly though, unless I was walking somewhere, I used my ergo carrier much more in shops and outings. IT is great in shops as you have more room and as Ted got older, we used it to run around Taronga park zoo with him- he either walked or rode on my back and he could easily go up and down stairs and things and I didn't have to worry about the pram to chase him.

So for this bub, we are looking at hiring a capsule, then putting it into the Meridian and getting Ted a booster (SNS again). I want to replace our current umbrella folding stroller and I am actually thinking of getting a cooler version of the ergo (either performance or sports) in addition for the summer months.

#15 noonehere

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

before buying and car seat please look at the CREP rating. not all seats are equal..

i was very shocked at some.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.