How do you make it work when both work full time?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

My husband and I have been together nearly 20 years, we met when I was 20 and over the years the dynamics of our relationship has changed as we've grown our family, career path changes and so forth.  My husbands career is doing really well and I've stayed at home raising the kids and only having to work p/t (15 hours a week), so for the most part it's been a win win for everyone.  

Next year I start work full time (school hours) as our youngest starts primary school and to date with the exception of my husband going to work and back again, I do everything.  We've spoken at great length about how things will need to change next year and he will have to pick up some slack, but seriously with the hours he works, I can still see myself being lumped with it all  cry1.gif .

How do you manage, what works for you.  How do you survive marriage  wink.gif , raising a family and then both returning to the work force full time without killing each other or less drastic, not feeling like it's all one sided  tongue.gif

#2 Unatheowl

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Dh and I work full time, together in our own business.  Adds a whole other layer of stress blink.gif

I think the single most important thing we do to try to regain sanity is to spend time together and with the kids without being rushed or stressed.

We do this by having a cleaner and someone who does our housekeeping duties like ironing, changing sheets etc.  yes, it can be expensive but the amount of angst and stress it saves is priceless.  In the evenings all I do is cook and go to sleep. On the weekends, we relax or go out somewhere.  No pile of washing etc weighing on my mind, no fights about who does more or less.

#3 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#4 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

The hours will be 8.45am - 3.30pm and that's going to feel like full time to me  laugh.gif .  I'm pretty organised in the mornings as it is and our school has a lot of homework, so I try and split that up and do half in the mornings and half in the evenings (I will have the 5 girls in primary school next year).  

Unatheowl, I guess that's the thing for me, I want some down time with the girls and my husband as well.  I don't want to feel like it's all just go go go.  

The girls play Netball on Saturdays and that takes up half the day which is fine, but I guess I'm just trying to avoid feeling resentfulness because of the hours I'm working and doing everything else.

#5 Babetty

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Also think about what can be not done - with all kids at school, tidying up toys etc might be easier, perhaps plan on simpler meals, cook enough to eat leftovers.... think about all the things you currently do and what can be eliminated.

What jobs can your husband do on his lunch break at work? Maybe he can take over paying all the bills, popping out to the post office, picking up milk / bread etc on his way home from work...yes you might still be doing the 'big' things like cooking dinner because you work shorter hours, but he might be able to pick up many of the little but time consuming things.

I also second getting a cleaner. Ours comes fortnightly, but the house stays a lot cleaner when people aren't home every day.

#6 Unatheowl

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Rachaelxxx @ 28/12/2012, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unatheowl, I guess that's the thing for me, I want some down time with the girls and my husband as well.  I don't want to feel like it's all just go go go.  

The girls play Netball on Saturdays and that takes up half the day which is fine, but I guess I'm just trying to avoid feeling resentfulness because of the hours I'm working and doing everything else.

Yes, I think it is really important.  Feeling overloaded or resentful can build up and cause a lot of problems.  My solution was to remove the cause of the angst.  I also felt so overwhelmed by housework and so stressed about it hanging over my head all the time that I was snappy and not nice to be around.  Now we come home to a sparkling kitchen and I can actually feel the stress of the day leaving me and am grateful for it every day.

#7 *Lib*

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

We both work full time, we share the care and the house work.

#8 Overtherainbow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

We both work full time.  DH does most of cooking, I do most of cleaning. We share laundry and other jobs.

A good calendar is a need.  We often meet at kids arvo sports and chat while we watch.  

Not sure on age of girls but our kids are responsible for their own rooms, emptying bins and wiping down their bathroom/toilet.  

I used to work school hours and found it was no big deal.  Get washing, dishes done before work and ironing, cleaning afterschool.  It's working 8-6 now that I find hard to juggle.

#9 MsDemeanor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I think that you will find it quite easy, as the PP have mentioned you won't be working full time, working school hours will mean you won't have to juggle pick ups, dinners etc.

#10 whatnamenow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

The other thing that DH and I do when we know its going to be a stressful time of change is admit that to ourselves.   We both apologize to each other and admit over the coming weeks/months we may say things we dont mean or regret and we re-iterate to each other that no matter what is said we do still love each other and have intent to stay together.  Works wonders.

i second the cleaner, and the cooking double or triple batches of some things.  Just before DD was born i cooked up 5 kilo's of mince into a pasta sauce and made about 3 lasagne's and about 5 lots of spag bog sauce.  Fantastic for one night a week off cooking.

Also ask??  Ask him what roles he is planning on taking over now that your hours have increased.  Dont ask him what tasks he would like too as this is not an option.  I hate doing washing but DH doesnt mind it so he does that.

#11 lozoodle

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I do it all, his hours are too long.

Saturday mornings he takes the girls out and I get time out

I'm over it.

#12 kwiggle

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have no wisdom for you OP, I'm joining the party soon!  Both DH and I will be full time (50+ hours per week each) in Feb, so I'm going to try to work out how not to murder him if he doesn't pick up some slack!

I have, however, been stressing about it myself, so have been madly researching how other people do it.  I have found this website which is very American and proscriptive (they seem to have a spreadsheet for stuff I've never even thought about!), but might be worth a look for you too:

www.equallysharedparenting.com

Good luck with it all wink.gif

#13 Corella

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Being organised comes in lots of different ways - we use a Google calendar to co-ordinate who is where and doing what, and we have a menu plan that's 30 meals that rotate roughly monthly. We pay for a cleaner and while I put the child to bed DH does a quick tidy up and the dishes.

#14 Jane Jetson

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

We've been doing this since DD2 was very little and it does get tiring. It does help that I work from home a lot, but I'm still working not doing the washing, and my hours are long and often annoying, so it requires a fair bit of organisation.

Probably what works for us best is (as others have said!) having a cleaner. She's only a couple of hours every fortnight, but it means that no matter how rushed we get, the important things *are* going to get done and the house won't descend into hoarder-ville. Not only does it mean the windows get washed properly etc, but we have to clean up the night before she comes so that she's cleaning, not tidying, so we are stopped from getting too messy.

That said, I think it's important to realise that the house does not have to look like Betty Draper and her housekeeper go over it from top to bottom every day. Relaxing your standards of housework is liberating. I don't get that much free time and I want to spend it reading or shooting zombies, not deep cleaning the toilet.

As others have said, meal planning, cooking in batches and freezing is great. Slow cookers are brilliant in winter. Eating quick meals like chops and salad or whatever, instead of doing proper Cooking, every night can be done pretty easily and healthily, too. There is nothing wrong with eating shop-bought schnitzels instead of making your own, either. There's a lot of corners you can cut without spending too much money or time.

And he's going to have to do his fair share. I work longer hours than DH and so it often falls to him to pick up slack, or to be the one bringing a sick kid home if I have meetings/deadlines, but it's not fair to leave it all to one person and so I do it too when I can. The load does need to be negotiated and shared. From the outset, make sure your DH really does understand that he's not just getting more free money in the house and no extra responsibilities.

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

We live in a pigsty during the term ... oh wait that wasn't helpful was it? Tounge1.gif

I wish I knew, OP. I wish I knew.

#16 Jane Jetson

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 28/12/2012, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We live in a pigsty during the term ... oh wait that wasn't helpful was it? Tounge1.gif

You say that like there's something wrong with living in a pigsty...  laugh.gif

#17 *Lib*

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

To make the school days easier, I ALWAYS pack the lunches the night before. Get uniforms out and ready and all DD needs to do, is get dressed and have breakfast.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Just call me Weasley ...

#19 Feral Mozzie

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you have 5 daughters and the youngest is at primary school, the oldest must be old enough to help out I'm guessing? I don't mean major stuff, but maybe your older kids could cook a meal a week each, or be responsible for washing clothes etc... For some pocket money. The burden shouldn't fall entirely to you in a 7 person household.

#20 cesca

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've been stressing out about this recently too!  DH has always been the full time worker and I've been the primary care giver, with working 10 - 15 hours pw as well.

I'm now struggling to find a part time job, so am now applying for full time positions.  It is scary!  

DH has never had to step up and do school pick ups or drop offs. He's never been to any school meetings, sports days etc.  He's never done housework (well, he does a small bit, maybe 5%).  So as far as he's concerned, me going to work full time means either I continue to do it all, or his life suddenly gets a LOT harder, LOL!  He's actually seriously told me that if I get a full time job then he will quit and become the stay at home parent, as it's just too hard logistically otherwise.  The kids are 9 and 10 now!  He just wants to play golf all day... rolleyes.gif

Anyway, my big struggle is that my kids are real homebodies and the barest mention of after school care or holiday care has them screaming in protest.  They love just hanging out at home in the holidays and after school.  They hate being busy.  My mothering instinct really struggles with the thought of them being unhappy.

I also suffer from anxiety and depression and being rushed doesn't work for me.  It's a hard one.  I wish life were easier.

#21 Canberra Chick

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

OP, I work 8.30-2.30 five days a week and it is fine. I chose to do those hours after having DD, and I had been working full time before then.

My new hours are a breeze! I collect DS from school, go home and start prepping dinner, bring in the laundry, have a snack and then we collect DD, come home and I finish off making dinner and packed lunches. I find it is a great balance between work and home. My only trouble is when I have an all day training course. Then DH collects DS and takes him back to his office. DH does DS's drop off usually, but if he wants to fit in a gym visit I can drop both kids off and still be a work by 8.40 (my work has flex).

#22 knittingkitten

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

We both work full time. Kids are long daycare and school. DD goes to after school care. To break up the week we do the following:

Monday: DD has a babysitter picks her up from school and helps her with homework etc. They hang out and play Uno etc. Babysitter sometimes cooks dinner.

Wednesday: DS stays home with my wonderful in laws. Both kids go to swimming lessons after school with them.

It also means either of us can work late those nights. DH also brings work home to do after the kids are in bed. We also have a cleaner once a fortnight and I do washing most nights and hang it up in the dark.

It works for us. We are better off financially if I work and I'm happier than when I was the full time mum.

#23 ubermum

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

We both share all the responsibilities. If he is working and I'm not, I do the majority of child and homecare. Next year, I will be full time and he will be running our own business around my shifts. Whoever is in the house will do what needs to be done there. We are a very good team.

#24 tanyak1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

I think you need to both sit down and agree on who does what, when and how often, instead of expecting that your DH will know what to do and then you get resentful when it doesn't get done. I have learnt this from experience and need to take more of my own advice! I've been back full time for 18 months after SAHM/part time work for 10 years, and DH is a full time shift worker (varying hours). I've spent lots of the past 18 months quietly fuming and working myself to the bone when at home while DH spends his 'spare' time working on his car or at the pub. It needs to change next year so I don't go bonkers, so we ahve spoken about it a bit, and we'll sit down to work out the details soon.

#25 Elemental

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Outsource what you can, have proper grown up conversations and don't let resentment build. Easier said than done, but also important. It's far too easy to just pick up the slack and never talk about it until you reach boiling point and explode. You have to be realistic as well - if one person is doing much longer hours or shift work/travel then expecting them to have a 50/50 household workload with you just won't work.

Our cleaner is expensive but worth every penny for that to just not be something else to do. There are no gourmet meals in this house on weeknights either when we're both working.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.