Whooping cough

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Satay Chicken

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I just saw my Ob this morning for my monthly check up and he really drilled into me about making sure that family and friends have the Whooping caugh vac before visiting the baby..  He said that the amount of babies with Whooping caugh is now getting serious.

So, how do you go about this?  Family and friends are going to be coming and wanting to see the baby  but I don't feel I can say to people that they are not allowed to see the baby until they get immunised..

Agh, more things to think about..

Edited by Satay chicken, 28 December 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#2 Guest_Waiting ..._*

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for posting as I have been wondering the same Satay Chicken! We educated both grandparents with a pamphlet and they went and got their shots updated but for other people I would feel pretty rude asking. We have a friend whose baby almost died from whooping cough though so while it may seem overly "precious or cotton wool" to some, it is very serious!

I am thinking that most people who will visit in the very early weeks would be close enough friends/relatives that we can comfortably discuss and then I will keep it very polite but assertive with others, explaining that we are not trying to be offensive but would prefer they wait until after bub has had vaccinations to come if they have not been vaccinated. Some people will probably not like it but what can you do.

#3 jmaz86

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

My midwife said the same to me. I  just came straight out and told some of the family. I would just explain that there is increased prevalence of whopping cough at the moment and it is your decision that people who are to visit need to have the vaccine. I have an issue with sil  as she is of the anti vaccine camp and has not had her son vaccinated...it is her  choice but she will be made aware that I don't want to be visited by them until such point as my child has immunity to the level I am satisfied with.

#4 elizabethany

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I said that anyone who wanted to spend a reasonable amount of time near the baby needed to be vaxxed and anyone who is not vaxxed recently wasn't allowed to visit if they had any signs of a cold (as whooping cough in adults can be very mild).  The vaccine is free to parents and grandparents of newborns, and some states will allow you to vaxx earlier.  It can also be included on request free of charge if you get a tetanus shot (along with diptheria).

Remember also that the vaxx is not 100%.  Despite being vaxxed, my DH caught whooping cough in October, but the fact that I and my DS were vaxxed meant we were less likely to catch it, and we didn't.

You have every right to dictate who sees your baby, and I see no problem with excluding people who knowingly risk such a lethal infection.

#5 Moo point

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

We encouraged all the grandparents to have it done, they all did as did BIL. SIL did not have hers done and was happy to wait until DS was at least 6 weeks old.

We emailed everyone else before DS was born and said we would prefer anyone who had signs of illness or who hadn't had their booster to please wait until DS had had his first vaccines. Not one person had a problem with it, whether they had been vaxxed or not. Another friend had a cold on and off so waited until DS was 12 weeks old just in case.

Your baby, your decision. We didn't keep DS at home, we still ventured out, but close friends and family are more likely to hold the baby close and share germs than people on the street.

#6 Cyaira

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

I asked my mother and she flat out refused! She's supposed to be helping me out in the early days and later on caring for our baby (due march). She says I'm paranoid and even gossiped about me asking to other family members and they all started laughing at me behind my back!!

She does the same with pregnancy food safety, saying I'm paranoid.

I tried saying there's lots going around, etc etc. nope. Apparently I'm crazy and because she's had it before she can't pass it on, she knows 'all about it' because she worked in childcare, 'I'm going to isolate myself from everyone over something stupid'.

I didn't really see why it was such a big ask! I offered to pay for it of course. MIL on the other hand was only too happy to get the shot. shrug.gif

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Cyaira, I would ask your MIL to help after baby is born then.

My DH, eldest and youngest children had WC last year. The kids we fully vaccinated, DH not because he can't have vaccinations, it was pretty awful for them and it was a mild dose they all had.

I would put it out there to close family and friends that WC is a real problem at the moment and that you're sure they will understand you asking them not to visit if they have not been vaccinated and/or show any signs of a cold like illness, no matter how mild.

#8 Lightning_bug

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Then I would be asking your MIL to help and explain to your mother that given she's already disrespecting your parental decisions perhaps it would be best if she only visit occasionally until bubs is stronger.

There's no excuse.  Both my parents are pretty anti-vax but didn't hesitate.

OP, dont' be shy and don't feel bad.  WC is insidious and in an adult can be very mild but for infants it racks their whole body.

It's as simple as... do it or don't come over until bubs is vaccinated.

#9 Kay1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

We sent an email to our family asking them to consider having a booster (set out the reason why first). We then asked that regardless of whether they decide to or not that they not visit if anyone in their family has a cough.

Most of our family were happy to have the booster. Some did not. We did not ban them from seeing the baby but we were very careful about keeping anyone remotely ill away.

Having said that the day we brought DS3 home from the hospital DS2 had a horrible, hacking cough which I was so worried about. He had it for weeks. We tried to keep him away from DS3 as much as possible but it was so hard. Fortunately DS3 didn't get it.

Edited by Kay1, 28 December 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#10 BBV

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have been thinking a lot about this too...both grandparents will be vaccinated, my sister and DH/myself. I'm thinking about sending email/SMS similar to what some of u girls have about not visiting until X weeks if u have a cough/cold, I assumed most ppl wouldn't visit if they felt like this BUT some people don't seem to care. It's a tough one, I'm really dreading some of the reactions I may get from some people like ur mum Cyaira. You must be very disappointed with ur mum, I would ask ur MIL to help you out...if ur mum can't respect ur wishes re vaccination I don't think I would be asking for help.

Edited by BBV, 28 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#11 *lightning

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Grab some pamphlets and hand them out. You can't force people to vaccinate but you can certainly decide who can visit baby. If your uncomfortable with having people visit who haven't had the booster, ask them to wait until baby has been vaccinated. I never asked anyone to get the booster but I do avoid close contact with anyone who is sick.

If someone is sick they should stay away from your newborn, even if they have had the booster.

#12 MAGS24

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Honestly, I just didn't let any visitors hold the baby or go near him very much until he had his vaccination for Whooping Cough. It is just too risky. This was made easier for me though because all of our relatives live interstate and after all of the problems the relatives caused when they visited our first baby, I told everyone that I didn't want any visitors for a while. If any friends did come to visit, they didn't get to go near the baby very much or hold the baby.

#13 Kay1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Find some footage of newborns with whooping cough, show your mother and ask her if she still thinks you are being paranoid.

None of my kids' grandparents hesitated to get the booster. My Dad had to travel to two different hospitals to get checked out first because he was potentially allergic but he said if he wasn't able to have the booster he wouldn't visit the baby after seeing something on tv about Dana McCaffery. Thankfully he was able to have the booster without any problems in the end.

#14 ~*bumblebee*~

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Does anyone no how long the booster lasts??? We all had it 6 years ago when DD was born wondering if we need to get it again for this bubs??

#15 #LG

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

You may find quite a few of your friends and family have already had the booster vaccine needle. Many of the people we know have, as it has become a bit of a necessity over the past few years.

So rather than asking people straight out to get the booster, ask them if they have had it already. If they say no, tell them about the epidemic and suggest that it would be best for them (as well as your baby) to get one.

Anyone who refuses should simply be asked to delay visiting your baby until after 6 or 8 weeks or whenever you get them immunised. It's no big deal to ask this and anyone who feels strongly about seeing your bub immediately after they are born won't mind putting themselves out a little by getting the booster.

#16 Natttmumm

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

When DD1 was born we asked mum to get it. She reluctantly did get the needle.
When DD2 Was born we stopped most visitors until around 6 to 8 weeks. We just said do you mind visiting once we are settled at home. By 6 weeks she had the first needle and we felt a bit better,
At age 1 she got wc even though vaccinated. DD1 was three. Both fully vaccinated so were ok but it did make for a horrible 3 months and cough for DD1 that took ages to go away.
Take all the precautions that make you comfortable even if it means limited visitors. It's your baby and your job to protect to a level where you feel comfortable.

When DD1 was born we asked mum to get it. She reluctantly did get the needle.
When DD2 Was born we stopped most visitors until around 6 to 8 weeks. We just said do you mind visiting once we are settled at home. By 6 weeks she had the first needle and we felt a bit better,
At age 1 she got wc even though vaccinated. DD1 was three. Both fully vaccinated so were ok but it did make for a horrible 3 months and cough for DD1 that took ages to go away.
Take all the precautions that make you comfortable even if it means limited visitors. It's your baby and your job to protect to a level where you feel comfortable.

#17 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

My baby has just had whooping cough, and he was three months and had his first shot.

We were lucky he was not hospitalized, but it was still awful.

We think he got it from my fully immunized kids.

So I would keep visitors to minimum, and insist they not visit if even slightly unwell or coughing, even I'd they have a cold.

This is the link to send to people. It has videos.

http://www.whoopingcough.com.au/

#18 CharliMarley

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Cyaira @ 28/12/2012, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked my mother and she flat out refused! She's supposed to be helping me out in the early days and later on caring for our baby (due march). She says I'm paranoid and even gossiped about me asking to other family members and they all started laughing at me behind my back!!

She does the same with pregnancy food safety, saying I'm paranoid.

I tried saying there's lots going around, etc etc. nope. Apparently I'm crazy and because she's had it before she can't pass it on, she knows 'all about it' because she worked in childcare, 'I'm going to isolate myself from everyone over something stupid'.

I didn't really see why it was such a big ask! I offered to pay for it of course. MIL on the other hand was only too happy to get the shot. shrug.gif

Sorry, but your mother sounds like an uneducated moron to scoff at the advice to vaccinate. I had whooping cough as a 5 year old and I went and had the vaccination before I went near my newborn grandchildren. The vaccine only last so long and you really need to get a booster after 7 years, I think.

#19 Cyaira

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I struggle to think of anything that will get through to her, she's extremely stubborn and always thinks she is right.

Problem is, if I tell her she can't hold the baby till he's had his vaccinations I wouldn't put it past her to laugh, lie and say she's had them, and roll her eyes at me behind my back.

The stupidity isnt limited to my mother, either. My sister saw my newborn nephew when she knew she was starting to get sick. It later turned out she had strep throat. Because he was ok apparently it's all ok to do things like that. And to top it off my brother has been pursuaded by the AVN...

It's so hard to get through to them, they just think I'm stupid. It's very disrespectful and hurtful. sad.gif I hope nobody else encounters family like this.

Strange thing is they absolutely loooove babies, buy my baby all these things, etc.

I think maybe I will ask MIL to help! Only problem is she's 1 1/4 hours drive away. sad.gif

#20 FeralFoom

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Cyaira @ 28/12/2012, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I struggle to think of anything that will get through to her, she's extremely stubborn and always thinks she is right.

Don't know if I can help with the stubborn but have you made sure she actually has the right facts from an authoratitive source. ie Do the brochures come straight out and say that if you have had whooping cough then you are still at risk of catching it, and hence need a booster?

I didn't ask any of the grandparents to have the booster when our boy was born a few years back. I assumed their childhood bouts (which landed most of them in hospital) were enough to give them lifelong immunity. My parents and in-laws take the disease seriously having experienced it themselves but we were never told that they wouldn't have lifetime immunity.

I don't have any of the current brochures - I was told by the Dr to get myself  done (I missed out on the full course as a child due to reacting to the  vaccine) but at the time the epidemic wasn't bad enough to have Drs telling people to all the grandparents booster shots let alone be handing out brochures.

#21 lozzylots

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm fairly introverted but when it came to this issue, the mother instincts kicked in big time and I was happy to tell everyone that it was either be immunised or not come to see bubs until she is fully immunised (which doesn't happen until the third lot of immunisations have been done, so no baby time until 6 moths). So grandparents, great-grandma, aunties and uncles all got them done - we told everyone if money was an issue we'd happily pay for them but nobody took our offer. For me, reading the stories of tiny babies that contracted whooping cough and died was more than enough to convince me this was not something I was going to defied on.

When my dad had his done, his GP told him that one of his patients asked for a letter from him to say they'd had it done as the mum-to-be was insisting not only on vaccinations from family members but also proof thereof!

#22 twilightangel

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (~*bumblebee*~ @ 28/12/2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone no how long the booster lasts??? We all had it 6 years ago when DD was born wondering if we need to get it again for this bubs??

If I recall correctly it was suggested by ICU staff when my son was admitted that whooping cough be boosted or at least checked every 5 years but maybe ask your OB next time you see him/her

QUOTE (Akatara @ 28/12/2012, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My baby has just had whooping cough, and he was three months and had his first shot.

We were lucky he was not hospitalized, but it was still awful.

We think he got it from my fully immunized kids.

So I would keep visitors to minimum, and insist they not visit if even slightly unwell or coughing, even I'd they have a cold.

This is the link to send to people. It has videos.

http://www.whoopingcough.com.au/

Im so pleased to hear your son is ok. I remember you replied to a thread of mine that I posted about my baby boy who was in ICU fighting whooping cough.

OP - As mentioned my son was admitted into hospital at 11 weeks of age with whooping cough after turning blue at home. Two days after being admitted saw us being transferred by paediatric retrieval team to RCH Brisbane and into their HDU ward. A few hours later and he was moved into ICU. My son spent 6 weeks in hospital with 4 of those weeks being spent in ICU or HDU fighting for his life. The drs believe that the fact he had had his first vaccination was what helped him avoid ventilation but he did come close a few times. He was a MERT call 4 times and had CPR preformed once for a heart rate of 40bpm and believe me it is absolutely terrifying seeing a team of medics come running into the room with a crash cart knowing it is for your child.

So in saying that please do what ever you feel is necessary to protect your child. Hubby and I have already decided that when the time comes and we have another child be will not be allowing visitors in the first few weeks unless we know that visitor has had a booster etc. In saying that all grandparents were boosted and all siblings up to date but sadly I still need to drop kids off to school and thats where the drs believe my child was exposed.

Two of my older kids got whooping cough too but for them it just sounded like a dry annoying cough. I would never have suspected they had whooping cough.

#23 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (twilightangel @ 28/12/2012, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I recall correctly it was suggested by ICU staff when my son was admitted that whooping cough be boosted or at least checked every 5 years but maybe ask your OB next time you see him/her

Im so pleased to hear your son is ok. I remember you replied to a thread of mine that I posted about my baby boy who was in ICU fighting whooping cough.

OP - As mentioned my son was admitted into hospital at 11 weeks of age with whooping cough after turning blue at home. Two days after being admitted saw us being transferred by paediatric retrieval team to RCH Brisbane and into their HDU ward. A few hours later and he was moved into ICU. My son spent 6 weeks in hospital with 4 of those weeks being spent in ICU or HDU fighting for his life. The drs believe that the fact he had had his first vaccination was what helped him avoid ventilation but he did come close a few times. He was a MERT call 4 times and had CPR preformed once for a heart rate of 40bpm and believe me it is absolutely terrifying seeing a team of medics come running into the room with a crash cart knowing it is for your child.

So in saying that please do what ever you feel is necessary to protect your child. Hubby and I have already decided that when the time comes and we have another child be will not be allowing visitors in the first few weeks unless we know that visitor has had a booster etc. In saying that all grandparents were boosted and all siblings up to date but sadly I still need to drop kids off to school and thats where the drs believe my child was exposed.

Two of my older kids got whooping cough too but for them it just sounded like a dry annoying cough. I would never have suspected they had whooping cough.

I'm so glad your little one is recovering... That sounds so awful. We had a couple of Er trips, but manages to stay out of hospital. It's so draining I hope your getting some rest now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

There's no need to eclipse a babymoon

As long as pregnant women do their research, travelling during pregnancy can be done safely.

Mum and daughter have babies on same day

"It's not really something you ever want or think could happen. To have my mum going through it with me is probably the most special, amazing thing ever.”

Our baby's reflux caused the longest endurance test of our lives

I'm glad she wasn't my first child, or I would have thought that this was normal.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

The podcast that reminds mums they are not alone

A mum's complicated, gruelling labour gave birth to two lovely beings: her daughter and her delightful podcast, The Longest Shortest Time.

Is it too late to change my midwife?

My wife is nine months pregnant and we are planning a home birth - but we've had late problems with our midwife team.

The Very Hungover Caterpillar: a parody many can relate to

A new book released this month will be sure to have parents nodding and giggling in recognition the world over.

Babywearers unite against misinformation

Everyone has heard of people power, but what about passionate babywearing power?

Reliving the birth experience

When people ask about how my labour went, I usually respond: "Good, I think? Four hours long, and yeah it hurt, but I dunno, it's labour, it's giving birth, it's painful... but I guess it was good? As good as good gets?"

Literary baby name inspiration

From Harry Potter to Shakespeare and everything in between, we've scoured the library shelves for literary baby name inspiration.

Preparing your child to attend a sibling's birth

Thinking about having your kids at the birth of your baby? Here are some things to consider.

Counselling helps mum deal with triplets' early birth

When Kimberlee King's waters broke nine weeks before her triplets were due, she went into autopilot as she packed her hospital bag.

The women balancing babies with new businesses

Motherhood teaches us that we can be more tolerant, patient, and loving than we ever thought possible - and can also show us that we're innovative, creative and entrepreneurial, too.

It's true, kids grow up overnight

A dad ponders how his toddler daughter can change so much in just one 24 hour period.

Father sings to dying son days after losing wife

A heartbreaking video shows a new dad singing 'Blackbird' to his dying son just days after losing his wife.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Mark Latham, you have no idea

Parents who treat their depression are "cowardly", feminists are baby haters with a "psychoneurotic disorder". Really, Mark?

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.