Designing a Vegie Garden

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

What did you take into consideration when designing the layout and structure of your vegie garden.? What is it made from- eg timber frames, or just dug  into the ground?

I have a massive area to use for the vegie garden. But am after some ideas

#2 imamumto3

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

we used the safe treated pine to build up a frame.  we filled the garden bed with soil from our garden, organic veggie mix from the nursery, compost, horse manure, and a sprinkling of dynamic lifter and gypsum.

make sure you can access the garden bed from all sides.

we have put a frame and netting around ours so that it doesn't get eaten by birds and possums, so we literally have to walk into a caged area.

ideally if you have a large area I would erect a large caged area and put several smaller beds in it so that you have easy access to all of them and can do crop rotation.

and choose the spot in the garden that gets all day sun

#3 ubermum

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

We are renting so have made up cheap frames made with redgum sleepers. One sleeper long and half a sleeper wide. They are just bolted together and sat on top of the ground. We filled them with well rotted down compost (it looks like soil) and topped with sugarcane mulch. When we move we can just pick up the frames and spread the contents thinly all over the existing lawn. Having multiple beds makes plant rotation easier. We have a watering system set up that has flexible little hoses off it with drippers. These sit just under the mulch.

Before setting up a vegie garden, consider where the water will come from. Perhaps dig a trench around so you can install various tap points. Also consider a tank off the roof of the house for when we inevitably have stricter water restrictions again. Dh is making a chicken enclosure this week that will be the exact size of one of the beds and has handles so that it can be moved. When a bed is empty, it will become the floor of the chicken house so that they can dig over all the soil, eat any weeds and unwanted seeds and pick out any bugs and fertilise the bed. Also consider fencing if rabbits can get into your yard.

The diggers club (they have a website) has a great book about vegie gardens and their management. They also sell really lovely varieties of heirloom vegetable seeds and plants by mail order. I have found them invaluable. They also have information on fruit trees.

#4 akkiandmalli

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 28/12/2012, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before setting up a vegie garden, consider where the water will come from. Perhaps dig a trench around so you can install various tap points. Also consider a tank off the roof of the house for when we inevitably have stricter water restrictions again. Dh is making a chicken enclosure this week that will be the exact size of one of the beds and has handles so that it can be moved. When a bed is empty, it will become the floor of the chicken house so that they can dig over all the soil, eat any weeds and unwanted seeds and pick out any bugs and fertilise the bed. Also consider fencing if rabbits can get into your yard.

The diggers club (they have a website) has a great book about vegie gardens and their management. They also sell really lovely varieties of heirloom vegetable seeds and plants by mail order. I have found them invaluable. They also have information on fruit trees.

uber mum your chicken coop sounds amazing!! can your DH build me one????

i am a member of Diggers club and I highly reccommend it.. clive beasley ( founder) is amazing and is so knowledgable. I went to some of their lunch/talks about sustainable gardening a few years back and it just blewme away. I havent been to herronswood although planning at some point this holidays but St erth is a lovely country drive outside melbourne.
i also bought the books which are an excellent resource and talks about companion planting and croprotation.

we have a large 4x3 plot that i grow seasonla vegies in. currently i have tomatoes, pumpkins, cucumber, salad greens, chillis, curry leaf, gotakola, lavender ( for bees) silverbeet strawberries and eggplant. i planted all my vegies on cup day so now they are coming to fruition. it is so satisfying.
like uber mum i am renting so my plot is just bordered with sleepers and was filled with an organic composted soil. I feed my plants only with seasol ( organic seaweed solution) weekly to promote growth and stops some dieases. its great for the kids they love to water and plant new seeds/plants

Edited by akkiandmalli, 28 December 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#5 Feral Cancerian

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

I designed my garden after looking at medieval gardens and French potagers. These are gardens designed to look good as well as provide food.

I started with an 8m square area and created a design with a big rosemary in the centre, surrounded by diamond, wedge and triangular shaped beds. Eventually all the paths in between will be recycled bricks.

I don't think it really matters so much what you plant where, as long as you don't plant the same things in the same beds year after year.

Get some graph paper, OP, for experimenting, and maybe some library books on vegetable gardening.

#6 Tulipa

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

We bought 2 of those birdies brand corrugated iron raised garden beds from bunnings ($200 each). The first we filled with gravel, river sand (to help with drainage), potting mix and mulch. This was very expensive and took much more potting mix than I had calculated. Much better to order in some soil or similar from a landscaping place.
You also need to plan where plants should go. We put some squash in the middle and it just overtook everything. The leaves are so massive! In the end we ripped it out and all the other plants are much happier.
I believe it's better to choose a location with lots of morning sun. Some of our plants also seem to find the afternoon sun too intense so try for a shadier spot or place them behind taller plants.
I think we have now made our money back from the plants. Getting a profitable return on the actual garden beds and filling will take a bit longer

#7 unicorn

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s972741.htm
Research crop rotation and companion planting.
Raised beds are the go, no dig beds are even better, I have a mix of old roofing tin and timber sleepers for my beds, I also have things in pots, it's a bit of a mixture.

#8 Le-a

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

OP check out 'No Dig Gardens', based on permaculture principles.

We have just built our second no dig v patch and have had the most amazing results. They are extremely water wise, ( mine only gets water on the hottest days ) and pretty simple to maintain.

We used recycled bits of timber we had from renovations to make the bed frames, using other chopped up bits as "pins" to hold them in place.

One thing I always take into consideration when planting out is the direction of the sun, so the tall stuff like corn and tomato dosnt shade the little stuff like lettuce.

Personally, I think the bought corrugated iron garden frames are a bit of a rip off. But then I hate paying for stuff I can make myself, I can appreciate they are convenient.

If you are interested, google "wicking garden beds", these are super delux and on my list for when we have our forever home.

Also, get a worm farm going, free fertilizer!

Happy gardening!

Edited by Le-a, 28 December 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

OP, we have several vege gardens. We used any available space without any consideration to anything and have seen big differences in the outcomes according to where things were planted.

I would avoid anything that gets too much overhang from other trees as leaf litter from some trees can affect the soil quality. Also, most plants need a fair bit of sun. Not much will grow in shade.

As PP said, make sure you can get water to it easily. You need to water a lot so it needs to be easy to do.

IME, if you have gardens close to the kitchen, you're more likely to use and maintain them. If they're far away, ducking outside to grab some herbs to put in dinner is too much effort and the garden soon becomes disused.

QUOTE (ubermum @ 28/12/2012, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dh is making a chicken enclosure this week that will be the exact size of one of the beds and has handles so that it can be moved. When a bed is empty, it will become the floor of the chicken house so that they can dig over all the soil, eat any weeds and unwanted seeds and pick out any bugs and fertilise the bed.

This is what we did. We move the coop every 2 weeks or so to prevent disease to the chickens. In that time, they completely aerate the soil underneath the coop and fertilise it.

The only issue is the chicken poo has to compost for around a month before you can plant food in it as it can harbor nasty germs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.