Dog barks incessantly
PLEASE HELP! Neighbours on holidays

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bart.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

There is a dog two houses up that barks incessantly.  I filmed this tonight at 11:15pm:

http://youtu.be/E6oEdawHeCo

It can bark like this for ten-hours straight. cry1.gif

Problem is, the owners are on holidays for an unknown time and they have someone feed the dog once a day, so the animal is bored and lonely.

Unfortunately, I have a misophonia (a phobia for repetitive noises) and anxiety and this dog makes it intolerable to live here.

I don't know what to do.  I called the Rangers and they won't do anything until a diary is kept for two weeks, then they'll issue a warning; I'll go nuts by then. It's locked in a small enclosure in the yard so we'd have to trespass to reach the dog.  None of the neighbours have the owner's phone number and don't want to cause any trouble so they're just putting up with it (the ones I've spoken to are almost as peeved as I am).  

It escapes a lot but runs like the wind when you get near it.  As I type this, it sounds like its sitting in the front yard and is barking like the above but its so much louder (it's now midnight).  rant.gif

Could I have some advice, please, on what I can do?

ETA at 12:08am: I just grabbed a torch and walked up and sure enough, it was in the front yard, barking.  I growled at it to stop and it barked even worse and now it sounds like it's been stirred up even more! cry1.gif However, it has moved into the back yard again and with the windows closed, it's harder to hear it.

Edited by Bartholomew, 27 December 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#2 Lyn86

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Any chance you could talk to the person feeding the dog? See if they could spend more time with it or if they have a contact number for the owners?

#3 RichardParker

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Poor dog and poor you.

Maybe use earplugs or something to get through the night.  If you can tomorrow, maybe keep an eye out for the person who's coming to feed the dog, and tell them about the problem. Maybe they can contact the owner and let them know what is happening.

#4 MoonPie

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Poor pooch sad.gif

Firstly, stop going round there in the dead of night - no wonder the poor dog is barking!

I second getting hold of whoever is feeding the dog and talking to them about it. Does it usually bark when its owners are around?

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

I'd leave a note on the door for the dog feeder saying the times the dog barked for, and asking them to do something or you will need to contact the ranger.

#6 starsg

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

If it's escaping can you call the ranger to take it to the pound? A $200 fine might encourage the owners to make sure it's better cared for when they go away next.

ETA did you say it's locked in a small enclosure all day, and that's what it's escaping from? If the neighbours intention was for it to be locked in a small pen all day I'd call the RSPCA and see what advice they have.

Edited by starsg, 28 December 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#7 Bart.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll leave a note and see what happens. Appreciate it.

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 28/12/2012, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poor pooch sad.gif

Firstly, stop going round there in the dead of night - no wonder the poor dog is barking!

I second getting hold of whoever is feeding the dog and talking to them about it. Does it usually bark when its owners are around?

This was the first time I'd been to the house. The dog was in the front yard and the barking was louder than ever. I went to see if getting close would shut it up. After another 20 minutes of it, the dog did settle down. It barks for hours straight without human intervention but not so much when the neighbours are there.

The dog gets out of its enclosure AND the front yard. The neighbours say it roams freely all the time but the owners don't stop it.

ETA I like the idea of the pound ( ph34r.gif ) but I should try other avenues first. Tounge1.gif

Edited by Bartholomew, 28 December 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#8 FERALfoxgirls

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

A PP said to call the RSPCA, surely your not allowed to leave a dog alone and just have it fed by someone?
I have heard they will not let you adopt a dog if you make them sleep outside, so surely leaving it alone for 2 weeks in the yard isn't cool?

#9 Carmen02

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

defiently have a chat to the person feeding it, that happened to us years ago our neighbours dog it would not stop!! Spoke to the person feeding it and they ended up taking the dog to their house! it was bliss!

#10 Natahs_mum

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Gosh are you one of my neighbours????

We have a dog in our st, no idea where... tho as we live in a gully and you sound travels.. but this dog can bark and bark and its annoying for us but feel for the people who live closer to it..

Speak to the person who is feeding it.

I can understand about the repeative noise.. i hate them too..

Porr doggie tho

#11 miinii

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 28/12/2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A PP said to call the RSPCA, surely your not allowed to leave a dog alone and just have it fed by someone?
I have heard they will not let you adopt a dog if you make them sleep outside, so surely leaving it alone for 2 weeks in the yard isn't cool?

As long as the dog is fed and has water im pretty sure they arnt doing anything illegal.

I have neighbours with TWO dogs that bark like that from 11:30 in the morning (When the guy leaves for work) Until late late at night. I have called the council and also told to keep a diary however they did contact them before asking me to do that. They had sent a letter and the lady came to my door asking if it were me. I said it wasnt because of a run in with her DP a few months earlier where he was up on the fence throwing bottles and crap at my chihuahua because he had a rough day at work and when he went out the back my dog barked at his dogs who were scratching and sniffing around the fence where my dog was.
I caught him doing it and when i yelled for him to stop i got told "Shut your F***ing dog up then" My dog rarely barked. I was always home when he was outside and he was inside when i was out. He only ever barked when his dogs were jumping on the fence or scratching at it trying to get to him.
So anyway i kept the diary and sent it in and they got yet another letter and did nothing. So i put a letter in their letter box to explain that i was about to have a newborn and myself and 2 other children are losing sleep because of their dogs barking. My girls were unable to nap because the barking was so constant they either wouldnt be able to get to sleep or would be woken.
She came over and informed me that she was pregnant (12 weeks) And asked me to put up with it till she has her baby and is home on maternity leave and able to stop it.

So about another 20 weeks. I had my baby a couple of days later and te barking was like torture. I sent more letters and still they did nothing.

We got to the point where we were thinking about moving. At the time though with a new baby we just couldnt afford it. There were days where i would be in tears because i couldnt get the bay to sleep without him being woken from the horrid barking.

Like the dog your dealing with these ones would only bark worse when told to shut up.

I hope your neighbours are more understanding. I think your best bet would be to stick a note on the door for the person feeding the dog and explain the situation.

Good luck OP

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Continually barking dogs with NOTHING being done about it would do my head in.  We are very lucky here and there are no dogs near us.

However a continually barking dog means an unhappy dog so the RSPCA should have something to do with it.

I really feel for you OP.

#13 EBeditor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

I have removed an inappropriate post. Please keep your suggestions to the OP legal and humane.

#14 Duck-o-lah

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 28/12/2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

huh.gif  My dogs are perfectly happy sleeping outside. When we adopted them from the RSPCA they were extremely thorough and this was never mentioned.

If the dog is getting out I would call the local ranger, council etc, to come and secure it. I have friends who are looking after a dog while the owners are away. The dog got out, ran away and is nowhere to be found sad.gif At least if the dog is secure it will be safe.

#15 Smoo

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

unfortunately for a friend of mine a neighbours dogs was driving a whole street nuts, until the partner of one of the other neighbours got out of prison apparently there were some very nasty words and the dogs never troubled anyone again  unsure.gif

It's really unfortunate that some owners can't be bothered; i'd be calling the pound every time it got out, dogs off the leash are dangerous

#16 Juki

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I used to have a dog that barked a lot, we went and saw Bark Busters who taught us how to train him better. It only took us a couple of weeks but we got him to stop the crazy barking.
http://www.barkbusters.com.au/
Maybe leave a print out in the mail box.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.