weird brain moment

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Frazzled Cat

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

WAs on the evening walk with DH.

Passed a house with very stinky bins (could be coincidental).  

Felt like the front? left? side of my brain shut down.  Stumbled quite heavily, but was able to catch myself before completely faceplanting into the sidewalk.

Finished walk off, but just as we got home (5 mins later), something buzzed past my ear, so I shook my head to woosh it away and completely derailed, ending up facing 90* from the way I had been.

Felt woozy coming upstairs, still feeling a bit funny now.

Have had episodes on and off over the last 5+ years where my brain will just fuzzzt out, usually while sitting down.  Ends up with an almost faceplant into keyboard, mostly, but I'm usually able to catch myself in time.

WDYT - dehydration?  (very hot here)   Vertigo?  something weirder?

#2 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

was going to say stroke, until you said the last bit. either way you need to see someone! I would just go to the ER, if it IS  stroke they need to see you asap.

#3 sarahs_three

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I've had simmular episodes, not sure if its related but the last one was when I had the glucose test for pregnancy.
I did see a doc who basically said until I've have more then 3 he won't look into it.
I'm curious too as to what causes it.

#4 Frazzled Cat

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

No other symptoms of stroke, and I just ate trifle without spilling anything on myself, so I'm not overly worried.

Was just really weird.  Legs completely went out from under me.

#5 KylieMin0gue

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I had a similar episode just before DS was born.  (about 4 years ago)  Didn't know what it was but it scared me big time.  Was not painful, but my brain went kind of funny, and I called out to DP as I honestly thought I was going to keel over and die.

Anyway about 2 months later I had a grand mal seizure.  The feeling leading up to it (like 5 seconds beforehand) was the same as I experienced in the first funny experience, the only difference this time is that I woke up on the couch a few minutes later (thank god DP was here) with no memory of what had happened and no short term memory for about 30 minutes.  (I remember waking up and seeing the bassinet, and thinking my DD, who was 2 at the time, does not need a bassinet.  I completely forgot that I had a 4 week old baby)
Anyway I was diagnosed as epileptic, had about 6 seizures in the last 4 years (seizure free for 14 months now  yippee), and had a change of meds or dosage after every seizure.  
I would suggest going to your GP ASAP and just tell him your symptoms, and asking for a referral to a neurologist just to be safe.

#6 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

In NQ, so I would be very surprised if there was a neurologist in town, or visited more than once a quarter.

I would say I've had at least a half dozen of these episodes, probably more.  I don't know whether or not be concerned now :/

#7 Therese

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

You definately need to follow up with a Dr.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

You need to go to a doctor.

#9 Madnesscraves

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Doctor, doctor. Did I say doctor? See one.

#10 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

My GP already thinks I'm neurotic, I'm sure of it *sigh*

#11 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Might be time for a new GP then.

Honestly I have brilliant GPs and they are amazing.
Can you ask for a recommendation of a good gp from friends / colleague in the area?

I wouldn't be letting it go. If you get on to it soon you might be able to organise any follow up tests before school goes back.

#12 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (brighton14 @ 28/12/2012, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might be time for a new GP then.

Honestly I have brilliant GPs and they are amazing.
Can you ask for a recommendation of a good gp from friends / colleague in the area?

I wouldn't be letting it go. If you get on to it soon you might be able to organise any follow up tests before school goes back.

I might just be projecting.  He's a really good GP, actually, I quite like him.  Although I'm not at all hesitant about going to a Dr when I fell actually sick, I feel a bit stupid going in for something as "airy fairy" as this.  It doesn't come with snot, or pus or anything concrete, IYKWIM?

I'm flying to Brisbane tonight for a week, so I can't do anything at this stage, anyway.

#13 i-love-my-son

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Please see a doctor - none of this sounds normal at all, and does remind me a bit of when my son was having breakthrough epileptic seizures (very tiny ones, enough to make him fall but short enough that he could put his hands out to reduce the impact).

#14 mmuc83

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Not normal - go to dr - find one in Brisbane if you have to!

#15 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Wow that is a bit scary you poor thing.  I don't think it's normal and I would be getting it checked out for sure.  Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

My sil was having weird brain farts and episodes that would come and go.

Don't want to scare you but she was diagnosed with MS this year.
Likely it's nothing to serious but I would deffinately see a neurologist and try and get a MRI scan.

#17 Peridot

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

My SIL has MS and this certainly sounds similar to what she experiences!! Definitely doctor..

#18 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Get is sussed, Napcat.
Could be anything - middle ear fluid fluctuations, Meniere's, vertigo, low blood pressure, insulin levels, etc, etc.

Something odd keeps happening in your head - nothing airy fairy about that.

Get to it.
Now.

#19 Kay1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Definitely get it checked out. I have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and it feels pretty similar to what you are describing. There are lots of things it could be though, some quite serious so definitely worth getting checked out.

#20 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

There was definitely no spinning sensation or change in position to trigger it.  We'd been walking for about 20 minutes?

Just part of my brain felt like it blanked out, and next minute I'm falling.

#21 Natalie26

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'd be going to a Dr in Brisbane.  Could be something minor or something more serious.  The fact that it has happened a few times might suggest that it will probably keep on happening if you don't get it sorted!  Good luck.

#22 protart roflcoptor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Any altered state of consciousness NEEDS CHECKING OUT!

Was that loud enough? Ring up the RBH or try to contact your GP today to get a referral in Brisbane.

#23 Kay1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Ok probably not BPPV then but concerning. Good luck.

#24 Frazzled Cat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Well I've just managed to forget I was cooking pasta for lunch (caught it in time) and twice that I was making a cup of tea.

Will see the GP when I get back from Brisbane.

#25 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thyroid problems can cause issues with equilibrium and make you feel woozy / tipsy. Definitely GP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.