How much did your kids get for xmas?
Who is overwhelmed!?!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mrshappymum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

My kids got very spoilt this year! Now I am trying to work out where to put it all!!!

I have put some things at the top of the cupboard to get out for a rainy day as they just wont appreciate it all now.

#2 -*meh*-

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

my kids got spoilt but i had already made plans for where most of it would go... i had to cull some books from the book case, then bring in the spare book case for the new games and lego...

the other big stuff is for outside so easy to put away biggrin.gif

#3 JRA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Far from it.

There is a benefit from having little or no family who give presents. And given the presents he got were either books or stuff for the surf, life is good

#4 Lyra

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I prepared beforehand and culled like crazy in the days leading up to Christmas. As a result, it means that there really is not that much around the place at the moment. I have also found as the kids have gotten older the toys have gotten smaller LOL
My daughter got three packets of Littlest Pet Shop crap but they all fit into one small container. The biggest thing we have is the Dino HQ from Lego but that isn't overly worrying me. I am also planning on doing another cull in a couple of weeks and present to my daughter as 'wow we obviously didn't make enough space for all the new things. Let's have another quick cull!'

Also, I got smart this year and asked for experience presents which also helped with the amount of stuff!

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

A few presents from us (we don't do Santa), and one from the grandparents -- so no overload on our end. We've stopped all gift giving with extended family, not out of scroogery but because our kids don't need more stuff. They are very well off in the toy/book/gadget department, and we regularly cull.

My husband & I happily went entirely gift free.

We do the "experience" thing on Christmas, and our kids seem to enjoy that more than any particular present. So we're sticking with our low key winning formula because it works for us. original.gif

#6 Canberra Chick

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

A fair bit of it was clothes and books. DD got lots of wee knick knack things that are easily absorbed into the chaos and the only big thing was her dolls house. DS got some Lego, but that goes into the big Lego box. The only thing we don't have a space for is his marble run.

#7 casime

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

As the long awaited first born, DS did get mountains of presents.  I don't mind though because they're all good items and most will last some time.  His first birthday is this weekend, so lots more presents.  Next week I'm going to make up some various boxes of toys so I can bring one out at atime for him.

#8 Nora.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Mine got clothes from my parents.

They got a small lego set from us and an ipad to share.

They have enough crap, they don't need more.

I spoke to a friend today, the amount of stuff he bought his two boys was obscene.

#9 BetteBoop

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yes. DH and I bought DD two toys: a bouncy toy dog and a magician's set.

From friends and family she got:

a barbie cushion, sheet set and book
a barbie car with 2 dolls included
a stocking full of chocolates (I confiscated these  wink.gif )
an automatic lolly dispenser with lollies included (confiscated too  wink.gif )
a slipnslide
an mp3 player with headphones
a collection of Charlie and Lola books
3 story books
a toy microphone
3 sets of of Little Pet Shop toys
a playdough ice cream shop

And this year is much much better compared to previous years because I hassled all family members not to go overboard. Time to pay Lifeline a visit to make room.

#10 Genabee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Both sets of grandies (and aunties!) go over board here. But we make a thing of going through all the toys and books (and clothes and linen and everything else!) at the beginning of December and culling, to make room for all the stuff to come. As she gets older, we will have her choose which toys she wants to part with.

We donate them to those less fortunate, or in need. While she may be showered with gifts at Christmas time, not everyone else is, and I want her to be aware of this.

So, everything has a home and she probably has about the same amount of stuff as she did before I culled....

#11 FreeRangeMum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

My kids got alot of little stuff!!!! But we just moved into a massive temporary rental 2 weeks ago so plenty of room!! And when we move into our new houses in a few months the kids will have a playroom yippee!

By little things I mean:
Polly pocket stuff
Lego
Matchbox cars
Books
Etc

#12 miaandme

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Our kids got:

* wii to share
*Clothes each
* lego /trains each
* bubbles each
* slime each
*playdoh
*earrings/ant farm
*Bike for the little ones

Plus plenty more stuff from the relatives - particularly craft - which we go through a lot of.  So lots of stuff, nothing junky though, we do have a bit of a mess though sorting it out.

Probably in total for the kids $1200, so about $300 per child - which I felt was too much.  A lot of it though was clothes which they desperately needed.

Edited by miaandme, 27 December 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#13 Cath42

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

There's a family that lives on my street who indulge their kids to the point where it raises my eyebrows. I rarely flinch at the way other parents raise their kids, but for God's sake. The mother told me this year that the kids (aged 11 and 7) were going to be "light on" for presents this year because their "big" present is going to be a trip to Disneyland in January. I was told today by my own kids that the 7-year-old was given her own computer for Christmas. Yes, her own desktop computer to use as she sees fit. Just a "little" present, to go with her iPad, iPod, personal plasma screen TV that she got for her 7th birthday and her very own Wii that came with it.

Anyone who worries about overindulging their children only needs to meet this family to stop worrying.

*Edited to add: the plasma screen TV and the Wii weren't all this kid got for her 7th birthday. She also got a $400 party at a roller skating rink, a week-long trip to the snow complete with Ski School, a Penny skateboard and her ears pierced. Good Lord.

Edited by Cath42, 27 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#14 Futhermore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Not heaps, and usable/easy to fit in stuff.  

DD got a light shade and cushions for her bedroom, Glee season 3 and a book.

DS got a skateboard, skylanders giants, and a halo toy (That is broken and needs returning)

Also a snow cone maker from my sister (yum) and a few small things from grandma.

#15 SummerStar

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Mine got more than needed. Definitely going to tone it down some more for next year.
So much that when the wii u was given to them last, they just grunted and went back to their stuff, so I returned it. No point keeping it if they weren't that into it I guess.
Won't be long before they're saying "we're bored what can we do"

Even my parents got them more than normal this year. They each had a full sack waiting for them over there.

Edited by SummerStar, 27 December 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#16 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Way way too much.

DS1 got a bunch of books and two toys from us - a Tiger Tribe airplane set and one of those ribbon wand things. DS2 got a lovely toy car and a couple books. Then the torrent started. We did Christmas dinner with our three best friends (who are the boys 'godparents') and got a couple toys from each. And then the ILs on Boxing Day who are retiring in six months decided to go overboard as its their 'last Christmas working' - each of the four grand kids (5, 3, 2 and 8 months) got sat down with literally 10 individually wrapped items plus a bulging stocking each. Yes, even the baby. Plus presents from their aunt and great grandparents - the poor kids didn't even want to finish opening them, they just wanted to go out and play. MIL was devastated, of course. But seriously? I couldn't be bothered unwrapping 10 presents!

Might have to put a moratorium on presents next year!

#17 Riotproof

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

My family didn't go too badly this year. I didn't feel the need to suggest anything stay at Nanna's house.

I do need to cull the residual baby books and toys though, and perhaps keep one mixed box if random toys hidden to bring out on crazy days. What I did do was be "Santa" and so metered out the gifts better. I wanted ds's not to be overwhelmed and to start learning about saying thank you to each person. It worked remarkably well. When he wanted to play with his presents he was able to.

#18 feralisles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I warned my kids in advance that we would be going extra light this year.  They already have nearly everything they need or want.  They got some books each, and one got a cheap digital camera, the other an ipod docking station.  They also got a little bit of money and some vouchers from the extended family.  We have a large extended family and the piles of gifts would be ridiculous if everyone bought for all the kids!  Each child draws a name out of the hat and buys for that child so every child gets one decent present.  We don't buy for adults, but the kids make little things like cards or artworks for grandparents.
We could afford more, but I don't think the planet can afford the endless overconsumption of today's society.  I also can't stand clutter!

#19 mrshappymum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah I cull the toys quite often but I think I am finding it harder that usual as we got polly pockets/barbies which contains all really small bits. Just need to find a way to effectively store them.

#20 Chocolate Addict

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

We did a big cull a while back so it wasn't too bad.

Mr 7yo got plenty of stuff but probably less than previous years although the costs were probably the same. He got a iPod and skylanders giants game plus some figurines. They all add up but aren't big space users.

He got some other stuff too but not much and not big room users.

We just packed up his thomas the tank engine collection that was on a big book shelf (over 100 trains plus track etc) in to boxes for when he has kids so that bookshelf is now the home of skylanders. lol

#21 reneelovescraig

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

We made an effort to reduce the unnecessary presents to three per child:

• something to wear
  • something to play with
  • something to read or watch

It worked really well; I think we will do it again next year!

#22 JillyJellyBean

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

DS ot a Tonka truck and two books from us and Santa. He got some Duplo from the family and a book. He is so happy with his gifts, and we managed not to go overboard. Its hard to resist the urge to buy buy buy. Thank gooness, though we dont have the room for it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.