Too much stuff!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 snuffles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Do you feel that your family has too much 'stuff?'  Do you feel that, as a general rule, we Aussies (or westernised cultures generally) have too much 'stuff'?

Do you feel that too much emphasis is placed on having/giving 'stuff'?

I am asking that because large amounts of stuff stress me out.  I believe that it probably stems from being overindulged as a child, at least partly (mum grew up in a very poor family so wanted us to have what she didn't get to have).  I honestly think that, if I lived alone, I could easily fit everything I want into a small shoebox apartment.

Yes this is kind of a spin off from one of the other threads here in WDYT.

So WDYT?

#2 Lyra

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yes, this family has too much 'stuff' and yes as a culture we have too much 'stuff'

The amount of stuff and clutter in my house stresses me out in a big way. I think a lot of my anxiety about Christmas is all the crap that I am going to have to deal with, find places for etc etc

I am now trying to consume and buy less and to also give less. For Christmas this year I gave a lot of 'experience' gifts.

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yep, definitely. I'm kinda glad I rent at the moment, because every time we move I throw out tonnes and give a lot away to people who need it more than us. The kids still have enough toys for 10 children though...

I specifically ask for no gifts for myself EVER. I don't need more crap piling up. DH buys me gifts, but he gets me stuff I really want and/or need.

#4 LittleListen

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm packing my house at the moment and despite being a conservative shopper who doesn't buy much and gives a lot away... I definitely have too much stuff.

I'm packing a small amount of things to live on for the next 12 months and the rest is being stored. I strongly feel that there will be entire boxes of things that I open after a year in storage and decide I no longer need. And that's after I've aggressively culled things for the last 6 months.

I'm reading David Ramsey's Financial Peace atm and I'm really, really thinking hard about stuff and why we buy it, responding to advertising and so on.

Its been an eye opening process for me.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yes, we have too much stuff here.  I am surreptitiously chucking out and giving away toys bit by bit.  The clutter also stresses me out.

Whe I first moved out of home I was so delighted to have my own "stuff" that I bought and accepted a lot of gifts from people getting rid of it original.gif. Now I'm a bit over it and we have stuff like towels that I forgot we had with price tags attached  sad.gif   I'm definitely in declutter mode.

#6 Therese

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

We have too much stuff as well. I managed to go through the house before Christmas and get rids of lots but there is still more that we don't need.

#7 -*meh*-

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

yup... way to much stuff... we are tidying/culling post xmas atm...

thankfully my boys generally get lego lego and more lego so it just adds their collection which has a spot but i hate big bulky presents... i can't wait for their remote controlled things to go to their dads but atm it is banished to their rooms so i don't have to see it... i am gritting my teeth with lego stuff all over the floor as they have a "city" built atm...

#8 Natttmumm

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

We have too much stuff. I have finally after 5 yr of complaining convinced DH to clean garage out.
I throw lots away

#9 Tigerdog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I am asking that because large amounts of stuff stress me out.

Me too - I was apopleptic when I saw what my Mum was giving to my 2 DS' on Christmas (a full sack as big as they are in addition to the full one Santa gave them as well as wrapped presents from everyone!).  For next year I'll be saving the bucks to do more experience-type things, my eldest boy is a 'doer' as opposed to being into 'stuff'.  There was so much crap around on Christmas Day yet all the kids wanted to do was go across the road to play in the park!

I'm a chucker, I've gotten more this way over the years, eveyr time I've moved house, I'm addicted to it and it makes it easier just to keep things clean and tidy with less stuff.

Edited by Tigerdog, 27 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#10 jojonbeanie

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think an indicator of this is how many times you see homes built with double garages and the cars can't fit in them because of all the 'stuff'.

#11 Lyra

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm also trying to not buy new as much as possible. I buy at Savers and really, really think about whether or not I need something or if I want it. I have also instituted a 'something comes in something goes out rule' If my daughter buys something with her pocket money then something the same size or bigger needs to be donated. At least this way it means that the level of crap is stable LOL

#12 Tigerdog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I strongly feel that there will be entire boxes of things that I open after a year in storage and decide I no longer need.

I have even gone so far as to throw out boxes of stuff unopened for a few years without even checking (not with sentimental stuff in there as I keep this stuff separate) - things like linen, handbags, shoes, clothes, kitchen utensils and other general household stuff.  If I haven't missed it in 2 years then I don't need it.

#13 (feral)epg

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I value space much more highly than 'stuff'.
It's quite interesting to work out the cost of an extra square metre of living space (very variable depending on location) and then compare it to the value of stuff that you are storing.

#14 Wise Old Owl

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Tigerdog @ 27/12/2012, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a chucker, I've gotten more this way over the years, eveyr time I've moved house, I'm addicted to it and it makes it easier just to keep things clean and tidy with less stuff.

Me too.  I am constantly sorting through everything in the house.  Not sure if it is the older I get or the more children I have, but I can not stand clutter at all.

Last time we moved I purposely left a lot of things (mainly kitchen etc) in boxes and they are stored at MIL house in a shed.  I have not missed a single thing and I would estimate there to be at least a dozen boxes!!!!

Definately way too much stuff and could even do with less.

#15 PigNewton

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Put it this way....I am looking forward to some MAJOR  decluttering next year when DS starts kindy. I dont mind stuff but when it's too much for available storage, it does stress me out a bit

#16 cinnabubble

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

We just spent Christmas with two one-child families who have four bedroomed houses. The amount of stuff they "needed" just to occupy the space available was phenomenal.

We have four people in a two-bedroom flat and we definitely have too much stuff, but that pales in comparison to the only children with their own bedrooms plus their own playrooms we saw over Christmas.

Edited by cinnabubble, 27 December 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#17 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Edited by lifehacker, 13 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#18 Lifesgood

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

OP are you my doppleganger? I could have written your post. Clutter also makes me twitchy, I can't stand it and I'm sure it is partly due to growing up with a mother who is a hoarder. I am another 'chucker'. Nothing is safe if left lying around for too long in my house.

QUOTE (lifehacker @ 27/12/2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I hate clutter and crap with a passion.  I live very minimally.  I consider everything that comes in to the house very carefully. There are currently less than 10 things total in my living room - couch, tv, tv cabinet, 1 basket that holds remotes, 1 pair curtains, 1 throw rug, 1 fan that's it.
My wardrobe consists of 10 items and 3 pairs of footwear,
It's the best way to live!

I aspire to this wub.gif but alas with 2 children I can't see it happening

#19 snuffles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (lifehacker @ 27/12/2012, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I hate clutter and crap with a passion.  I live very minimally.  I consider everything that comes in to the house very carefully. There are currently less than 10 things total in my living room - couch, tv, tv cabinet, 1 basket that holds remotes, 1 pair curtains, 1 throw rug, 1 fan that's it.

Question.  Do you have a partner/kids and if so, how do you manage to live so minimally when you have people other than yourself to please?  Genuine query, I have DH and three kids, each of whom have at least ten times more stuff than me.

#20 BadCat

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

We have stuff coming out of our ears which is odd because we don't really buy much stuff.

I think it stems from us all having a slight touch of the hoarder about us.   Don't throw away my my bread tags mum, I'm collecting them.  Sure that t-shirt has holes and hasn't fit in 15 years but let's keep it in the wardrobe just in case.  Don't throw away that ticket stub, it's a souvenir.

:sigh:

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I am a big chucker outer and still have too much stuff sad.gif

#22 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

It's just DD and I in a 4 bedroom house, and we have lots of stuff, mainly hers, and clothes.

I have become a lot better at just chucking things or donating them, currently have 3 garbage bags waiting to go to the salvos.

#23 Feral_Pooks

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I don't buy much, but I do have a touch of the hoarder in me. I do tend to reuse and "find uses" for things, but I regularly clear through and donate, give away or sell stuff. When I was single, I could fit my possessions (minus a few boxes of books and ornaments stored at mum's place) into a car. I would move house regularly, and simply call Salvos for pick up of furniture, or advertise online stuffs free if you want it, then start fresh at the new place. I lived in homes furnished with cardboard boxes, hard rubbish, hand me downs, and op shop items. It was fine. Now that I've settled in one place, and have a baby, I'm pretty amazed by how much we have accumulated. It's mostly baby stuff, and I've handed down or sold 50% of it as he has grown but there are still piles of stuff.

In defense of suburban double garage chock full of stuff, we have a home like this but we have the tiniest garden shed, a tiny laundry, a tiny kitchen and tiny bedrooms, all with very little storage (living areas are spacious but again, no inbuilt storage and IMO big furniture items would cramp them) I actually like it that way as the rooms are uncluttered and don't have "unnecessary" things in them. But for things you do want/need to store, the garage is pretty much it. Ours is full of old clothes in boxes, boxes of my old toys for DS when he is older, gardening stuff, tools, pedestal fans and some stuff I'm putting aside for a garage sale in the new year. Adds up quick!

#24 BookishOne

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (lifehacker @ 27/12/2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lifehacker you are my hero! I wish my house, and wardrobe, was like this!!

My problems is that I actually really like 'stuff'...but only whilst I am in the shop, and especially so if it is a bargain. I struggle to walk past a good deal! I also have no issue with second-hand goods (with a great deal of our furniture, baby stuff and many of my clothes being sources from garage sales, op shops and hand-me-downs from friends and family), however I can't ever seem to say 'no thanks' if we are offered something, or if I come across something that MAY (possibly, one day) be useful. I then get said stuff home and hate looking at the clutter. I constantly feel the need to purge, and chuck (donate / recycle) regularly, until inevitably DH asks where such-and-such went and I have to admit I'd gotten rid of it rolleyes.gif

The amount of 'stuff' that DD (6m) received for Christmas was ridiculous, as was that amount that DH and I received...I actually felt a bit sick looking at it all at the end of the day. I really feel that we need to break the cycle somehow...

#25 JRA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

We are in the process of getting rid of a huge amount of "Stuff".

I cannot live in the house any more, I need so much less. If we could move house to a house half the size without it costing 100K+ just to move, we would move to a smaller single storey house in a flash.

ETA: A significant portion of the "stuff" is from DH's parents when they died, two dining tables and chairs made by DH's grandfather etc They simply have to go now.

Edited by JRA, 27 December 2012 - 02:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.