New Year 12WBT
Doable with 3 kids?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix Blue

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm thinking of signing up for the Michelle Bridges 12WBT for next month.

I've got reservations for the amount of time I've got available at the moment though...

I have 3 kids, youngest is 7 months, and I'm still breastfeeding. But once school starts next year, I'll have the older 2 at school, so just me and bubs at home.

Can anyone tell me what the food plan is like? Was it at lot of shopping/planning/preparation? How closely do you have to stick to it?

And what about the exercise commitment. I normally play netball twice a week, can you use that as one of your exercise sessions? Is walking with bub in the pram considered acceptable exercise, or do you have to follow circuit-like training routines?j

I would really like to be accountable and get my motivation back after my 3rd child. Life is just crazy busy though, so wondering if I'd be trying to do too much.

Any replies/feedback, would be great!

Kate

#2 OneMore?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Kate, Did you sign up - I am considering. I need some external motivation and also some of the eating guidance. The festive season has been lots of fun...just not for my waistline.

I too have three kids (but older than yours).

#3 littlemen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi Kate

I completed round three of 12wbt last year and I also have 3 children. I can not recommend this program highly enough and since have add a few friends join as a result of my 15kg weight loss:)

When I started the program my kids were (birthdays since) 6, 4 and 9 months. My whole family ate the meals I did not make separate meals for hubby and kids because the food appealed to all.

It did take a week or two to 'get into the groove' so to speak but having the meal plan and shopping list already done is great.

I did the 'at home' exercise program plan however u are able to change between all the exercise programs day by day or week to week.

The exercise program consists of 3 cardio days, 2 toning days and a super saturday session. I got up at 5am every morning to complete my exercise because I knew that was the only time of day that wasn't going to be interrupted by 'mum' original.gif

I was not very strict with the program however if I stuck to it 100% i most probably have doubled my weight loss.

Meals are easy to prepare and you can select from about 300 different recipes if you don't like one in the plan. Majority are quick to prepare.

Can't speak highly enough about the program. JOIN best decision you will ever make for YOURSELF:0

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.
The program also has great online support forums.

Good luck

#4 littlemen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Sorry Kate

Forgot to add, that walking bub in the pram most certainly counts- the faster though the better, to increase your heart rate. Michelle Bridges DVD's from Big W are also fantastic especially if you find it hard to venture out and do your exercise. The DVD's exercise routines are in 5 minute blocks so if you can't to the whole dvd at once you can pick a couple of 5 minute routines to do instead- better than no exercise:)

Regards:)

#5 amandamac

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hello

I signed up for the 12WBT 12 months ago, around the same time. I have two kids and a full time job. They were just turned 3 and 7 at the time. So I didn't have little baby like you.

I found the program incredibly full on and unsustainable. There are many changes that need to be made in a very short period: including 6 days of exercise a week (aiming for 500 cals burned per day and 1000 cals burned on a Saturday; to achieve 500 cals I needed to do a 1 hour bike ride and a 30 minute gym session), lots of food preparation and cooking, and then lots of personal change. I signed on with two other friends; one made it essentially her main focus in life and was very successful. I could not and it just made me incredibly anxious. I was making as many changes as I could but I felt overwhelmed by the pace of the program. There are certainly many, many people who achieve significant results, such as littlemen above (congratulations), but the potential weight loss will depend on your starting weight (with heavier people on average losing more over the 12 weeks than lighter people all else being equal).

The thing that made me leave in the end was that I received an endless stream of emails, facebook messages etc that basically said "stick with it or you're a loser and deserve to remain overweight". I understand that this is the pitch and it is very motivating for many, but you need to decide genuinely how much time and effort you can commit to the program. I was getting up at 5 and 5.30 to ride and go to the gym, but combined with a full on job often working late at night, and the calorie restrictions, I just could not keep it up.

So I have been focusing on setting just one goal at a time (ride my bike 3 times a week ahead of a NZ bike tour in late April) and then move on to the next one.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 12WBT can be and has been a very successful program. But like almost all health interventions it is for some people, with some problems, some of the time. So it is a really good idea to ask for people's opinions. Mine might be one of the more negative.

PS I guess the amount of change depends on what your lifestyle currently is like. If you are already pretty active and cooking and eating well, then the changes might be more minor than I found them.

Edited by amandamac, 02 January 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#6 Phoenix Blue

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

OneMore? _ Hi, yes I signed up on Tuesday. I've sent you a PM.

littlemen and Amandamac - Thanks for your replies and your views on the program - two different views is great feedback. I actually don't have a lot of weight to lose (only about 6kg) but getting fit again and having some accountability is my main reason for joining. Before my last baby, I was exercising very regularly so my biggest challenge will be finding the time to fit it in with a baby.

Amandamac - 500 calories per day and 1000 on a Sat certainly sounds like a lot! I don't think I could do that either as I would only burn about 400 max at a spin class. Also, working full time would just add another layer to challenge - i would have no idea how to fit that in!

littlemen - how did you go logistically with a young baby. Mine (at the moment) is quite unsettled in the early hours of the morning, so getting up early and going for a run/gym doesn't really seem feasible. I'm hoping her sleeping will improve over the next month or so.

Thanks, Kate

#7 Bissett

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi I'm also going to join. I have 3 kids & work full time so that will be interesting. I'm actually really looking forward to it especially having the shopping list all worked out.
Hopefully I'll see you in the forums!

#8 Waratah

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am doing it. I am trying  to get use to eating less atm bit hard am feeling hungry. I got the recipe book and am trying one of the recipes tonight. It is definitely a lifestyle change just reading the recipe book is quite inspirational. I have about 16 kgs to lose or that is what I want to be my final weight loss.  I am starting baby steps if I lose 7kgs then that is my first goal I get to the same weight as my husband lol. Second step is to get to 70kg so another 5kg on and finally to 66kg the weight I was before I had my second child.  Would love to have an EB support group with others also starting the 12WBT.

#9 Ferelsmegz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hey,

Im currently at week 8 of round 4 and im really enjoying it... granted im no longer following her diet plan... some of the meals I dont really like, but I am using recipes from her cook book and recipe index on the site, Im definately loving the exercise - however I dont burn 1000 on a Saturday session, the most ive done is 700. And during the week i usually burn around 300-600 calories per day depending on what we do.

Today was cardio and I burned 570 calories - tomorrow is toning and I will probably burn around 400 (judging from last weeks workout).

Im currently doing the intermediate program and still have around 10kgs to lose. I am considering signing up again next round and doing the lean and fit.

ETA - my kids are 9 and 5 and dont eat the meals.... I usually make seperates.

Edited by Mrs Optimus, 07 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#10 TillyTake2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I've been doing this round & have found it great. I don't really do the exercise plan (in fact I'm a lazy so & so & don't excercise much lol) but I have still been getting great results (I have lost nearly 5kg in 7 weeks even getting pregnant in the middle of that!)

I find the food yummy & quick to prepare & I've been loving it all!

#11 ~*dragonfly*~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi!

I did it with 3 kids (5, 3 and 2). I have gone from 77kg to 56kg, losing most of it in 1 round.

I didn't follow the meal plans, though I selected recipes that suited our family and budget (from the data base on the website) and meal planned that way. I shop monthly, so I meal plan a month at a time and buy fresh weekly (not for everyone, but I have been doing this since dropping to one wage - quite a few years now). I stick to the 300 calories per meal. I have also learnt enough to be able to create my own low cal meals and I use My Fitness Pal to keep track of everything.

I do Michelle's DVD's and burn between 300-450 calories per session, depending on the workout I chose (sometimes I will do a warm up, then randomly pick workouts from 2 DVD's and I usually do all the abdominal workouts on each of the DVD's). I workout when my youngest has her day sleep and have trained my 3 year old to occupy himself and not interrupt me. My eldest is in school.

I have done a SSS only once. I just don't have the time. I go for a run on a Saturday morning and burn around 500 calories. I skip my afternoon snack and have more calories for a 'treat' meal for Saturday night. I also run on Sunday, so I don't have a rest day.

I joined my local FB support group and they have been great, especially in the beginning when you're trying to get your head around it all.

I left the 12WBT at the end of round 3 last year and have stuck to the principles of the program and not gained any weight. I will be joining the next round as I want to step up my exercise regime.

For me, the key to success has been eating breakfast, drinking water and exercise. I found that I wasn't eating enough. I also found the mindset lessons key in changing my thinking and because I put in the preparation prior to starting I kicked off with a great attitude and was able to maintain it.

I also found, with being on a strict budget, spending money on this program kept me accountable. $200 is $200 and I felt that I needed to get results to justify the money spent. I hate wasting money on anything - so in my mind, I wasn't wasting ANY money! LOL!

I have 2 friends who are following the eating plan without any exercise. They are losing weight consistently.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead!

#12 Bissett

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I hope this isn't a dumb question but how do you know you burned 500 or 700 calories? Is it through a heart rate monitor?

#13 ~*dragonfly*~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Bissett @ 07/01/2013, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope this isn't a dumb question but how do you know you burned 500 or 700 calories? Is it through a heart rate monitor?

Sure is. I started the program without one and bought one about 3 weeks in. Made a big difference to my motivation during workouts. It really spurred me on  original.gif .

#14 Bissett

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks dragonfly. Im hoping to purchase one this week as well as signing up tomorrow

#15 ~*dragonfly*~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Good luck, Bissett! I hope you find it as rewarding as I have  original.gif .

#16 Bissett

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Wow dragonfly you have done a great job!! Thanks for inspiring me

Well I have joined. Anyone else joined yet?
Per season starts next Monday. I've tentatively already found a group local to me that want to do super sat together so hopefully that will pan out

#17 pluto

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I've signed up for the first time original.gif.  I've actually always been right into exercise and am a les mills group fitness instructor. However I injured my knee at the end of last year so have had 8 weeks off pretty much any form of exercise and have gained 6kg because of it.  I'm a shocking eater so joined to learn how to eat right so I'm not so dependent on exercise to let me eat junk so often.  Am hoping to be back at the gym by then end of this month and am super keen to start with the meal plans etc.  

#18 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I am also joining. Looking forward to big changes. I think it will really be a challenge and the kickstart I need!

#19 littlemen

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Phoenix Blue- sorry I haven't been on for a while. My baby was 8 months old when I started the program so I wasn't dealing with a newborn. I suggest taking a walk anytime during the day even if it is only around the block and getting her DVD's for the days you can't get out. Just do any form of exercise even if you can only manage running around your backyard for 5 minutes.

The program is so worth it. I lost 5kg just in the warm up/ pre season phase and I haven't put anything back on. In fact I have enjoyed Christmas and managed to lose 2kg only exercising 1 a week.

All of you go for it. The best thing I have done for MYSELF.

Good luck to you all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.