Do you feel pressure?
Now that you've told?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RellBell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

My partner and I told everyone about our pregnancy on Christmas day (we are 13.5 weeks), and I told work as I am starting to show a little. Everyone was so excited, and once the cat was out of the bag, the news spread like wildfire.

I guess everyone had to find out eventually, you can't keep it a secret forever, but I just feel like i'm under so much pressure now that i've told. I mean, if you have a miscarriage now, EVERYONE will know. My aunt, second cousin, that girl at work I dislike... I feel so much pressure to cook this baby up nice and healthy.

I've told everyone I want to keep it off facebook, and hopefully they'll respect that, because I feel like the goings on in my uterus are already public enough knowledge; I don't need my friend's ex boyfriend, that guy I went to school with, and my second cousin's girlfriend etc to know what's going on in my private life. Sure, when I have bub I will want to show pictures to the world, but until then I feel a little bit uncomfortable about all this attention being paid to my lady bits.

I'm very much missing the privacy that my poochy little tummy had when this was all a secret sad.gif

#2 José

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

I told close friends and family at about 13 weeks but didn't tell work and wider circle until 20 weeks. Lucky with the right clothes no one could tell. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and a  friend had recently had a stillborn baby. It did cross my mind how hard it would be if things didn't end well. Also I didn't mind people commenting on my pregnancy but I didn't enjoy having people I barely knew talking to me about birth, their placenta etc etc.

#3 .MrsM.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

i get what you mean.

i told my family at about 6wks then had to tell work at 8wks as i was so sick. all were instructed not to mention anything to anyone or facebook anything. i was paranoid something would go wrong after just having had a miscarriage.

after the 12wk scan i told a few more close friends, but it was only after a 19wk scan that i put something on fb. people were shocked that we had managed to keep it so quite until then, most had no idea! it was nice to have that time before all those extended groups of friends knew.

#4 caroldiem

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

We are not announcing at all after having a stillbirth there is no safe zone for us there are only a few that know my parents, my sister and unfortunately my hubby let it slip when talking to my MIL fortunately she is good at keeping secrets.....

I know i have already faced the worst possible case scenario so i am not scared as such of something going wrong because i know what to expect but i really don't want to go through it again.....

My MIL actually asked me on Christmas Day when am i announcing it and i just turned to her and whispered "NEVER"

#5 Natttmumm

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

We had a health scare with this baby at 12 weeks so we kept it to ourselves until 18 weeks when i thought it was really obvious. Even then people hadn't guessed. Even when I told people it wasn't everyone. I'm 32 weeks and some people are just finding out now.
I do understand how you feel!!
I guess you need to look at like this.....if something went wrong its nothing to be ashamed of so does it matter if everyone knows.

#6 Rolex

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

We announced on Christmas Day, too, but no I don't feel pressure, despite having 3 previous miscarriages.  Not from friends and relatives anyway.  They would all be there for me if the worst was to happen.

I haven't announced on FB yet, purely because there are a couple of close friends I'd like to catch up with in person yet.  But it will be on there soon.

The only people I am feeling that pressure for, is my kids.  They are the only ones I'd be really worried about if something happened to this baby now.  We only told them on Christmas Eve at 13 weeks, and they are so excited.  They'd be devastated if the baby didn't eventuate.  My youngest is 7, so yes they do understand what's going on.

#7 mused

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

If you're worried about it being mentioned on Facebook, you can set your privacy settings so that everything posted to your wall has to be approved by you first, that way you can filter anything you'd prefer not to have up there. I haven't had any experience with miscarriage or stillbirth myself but am generally quite a private person so that's what I've done.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I told friends from about 9 weeks. Parents and some close friends new from when I POAS. I don't feel pressure as such as I think most people will be supportive. I have my NT scan tomorrow and hope everything will be okay.

I was trying not to tell people but wasn't able to keep it a secret. Useless.

#9 secret~sammy

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel – There was a death in the family when I was 10 weeks, so once we told family at 13 weeks later there was all the pressure of it being the ‘circle of life’ baby, and I think it would have extra devastating (if there is such a thing) if anything had happened..

That, and just the feeling of being public property because I’m pregnant irritates me, I liked those first 13 weeks (15 for work people) when it was our little secret.

#10 Koobie83

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I told my family at 6 - in laws at 12 - work at 13..  Had a small bleed at 14 and haven't announced anything on Facebook. I've told my closest friends but haven't posted anything specific on Facebook. After the bleed I'm cautious about telling too much just in case...

#11 RellBell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (mused @ 27/12/2012, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're worried about it being mentioned on Facebook, you can set your privacy settings so that everything posted to your wall has to be approved by you first, that way you can filter anything you'd prefer not to have up there. I haven't had any experience with miscarriage or stillbirth myself but am generally quite a private person so that's what I've done.

Oh! I didnt know this. I worry a little whenever I see myself mentioned... I will be changing it original.gif

and thanks ladies, nice to know i'm not alone original.gif

#12 Mine Site Wife

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

We announced on Christmas day too (at 12 1/2 weeks) I am terrified something will go wrong as we miscarried earlier this year. My husband was also desperate to facebook it so that has been done as well. Now I am just waiting for the NT scan (new years eve) to make sure everything is going fine, but will continue to worry until they tell me everthing is good then. I am yet to tell work and am not planning to until about 16 weeks (longer if im not showing) thinking about looking into wether or not I can get a personal doppler... maybe hearing it whenever i want to will put my mind at ease and help me to relax and enjoy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.