IUD being removed this morning - need help :(

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

After my DS was born I had a copper IUD inserted.  Can't do mirena as I don't tolerate hormones well and also have PND that won't go well with it.

So I had no adverse symptoms until my period returned when he's was 6 months old.  It is TERRIBLE!!  So so heavy, cramps like early labour, anxiety and dizziness and general nausea.  I would feel like this for a week.

So I've now had it in for 10 months and I've decided to have it OUT today.  Each period is as I said above, except this last one that went for 20 whole days sad.gif

But - once the period passes, it's all not so bad.  But I have this overwhelming feeling that I need it gone, I feel so strange having something in me.  Des that make sense? Also, I'm returning to work next month and I can't imagine being on public transport with a period so heavy, or sitting in a meeting, or even going from desk to desk without a head spin.

So I guess I'm asking for your experience and or advice.....

PS I did increase my daily zinc which helped a little, but it made me feel so so sick. sad.gif. THANK YOU.

#2 podg

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Oh gosh, good luck.
I'm waiting for my first copper IUD period after DS was born 6.5 months ago. I have had 4 babies in 5 years, the last two 17 months apart so it should be soon, and the last period I had (between DD2 and 3) was very heavy.

DH is going for a vasectomy so there is a time limit. If my period is too awful I might have to get a Mirena iud instead, but I'm not keen for any negative effects on my libido.

#3 Corella

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

The Mirena was suggested to me as I have migraines with aura so cannot have the pill etc but the Mirena is not systemic so doesn't have those risks. And with PND I've not heard of it being contra-indicated for a Mirena either and in fact have heard others being told it was a good idea because the depression made them taking a pill unreliable. So perhaps a second opinion? The copper one is pretty awful for heavy periods - getting it out is easy though.

#4 TPS

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Oh that sounds awful OP sad.gif Hope you find another option that suits you better.

I've had a mirena IUD for 3.5 years now and it's brilliant. No period, every now and then I get a little bit of bleeding for a day or so, but barely enough to need to use a panty liner. And podg - absolutely no problems with libido original.gif My libido is actually better with Mirena than it was with the Implanon implant original.gif

#5 podg

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

That's god to hear. I changed pill once and my libido vanished. I was single and no prospect of sex at the time and still missed it!

OP I hope you find a better solution.

#6 ~Bob~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I had a similar experience. I would also have mid cycle bleeds that were like a whole period at once. It was awful. I also remember that overwhelming 'get this out' feeling.

I took it out and everything was great the moment I did. I have been using the mini pill since.

#7 hunter4

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I don't know if this will be at all helpful, but I wanted to let you know my experiences.

I had the copper IUD put in about 3 years ago.  At first the cramps and bleeding during my period were awful. for someone who never had any period problems I was really not happy.   The heavy periods and lengthy spotting (1 week of spotting - followed by an entire period in one day - followed by another week of spotting) were really not fun, I also noticed worse PMS - which I had never had before.  Unfortunately I couldn't come up with any other options except condoms and I really didn't want to rely on those so I stuck with it.  Now at the three year mark I'm finally noticing my body settling down.  My periods are almost normal again - less PMS, less cramping so I'm finally happy that I stuck it out. Still not sure if the last three years were worth it or not..

#8 frizzle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Gosh I would get it out in a heart beat. Where are you located. I can pm you my gynaecologist details. He does a lot of work with period issues, endometriosis, fibroids etc and is excellent. I am in Melbourne.

#9 frizzle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Gosh I would get it out in a heart beat. Where are you located. I can pm you my gynaecologist details. He does a lot of work with period issues, endometriosis, fibroids etc and is excellent. I am in Melbourne.

#10 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks frizzle, I'm in Sydney so thanks anyway.

Hunter4 I can't do three years! The dizziness gets so bad I need to sit down!

#11 lamarque

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

OP you poor thing.  I hope getting it out helps your situation.

I had the Mirena in for 4.5 years and it was the worst thing I have ever done.

I suffered headaches, migraines (now on Imigran), depression, acne (seeing Dermatologist), breast tenderness (can't lie on my stomach to sleep), breast cysts, ovarian cysts, no libido at all and I bled for about 8mths after insertion.

I had it removed in June and the brain fog has finally cleared and I don't feel the need to stare at a wall for hours on end.   sad.gif

I wouldn't recommend it at all.  

#12 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh lamarque that is truly awful sad.gif

I'm so sorry. And that sounds like me on the pill!

Sitting at the docs now, waiting to go in. Still feeling unsure. But I think I'll just go IUD free and cope with what comes.

#13 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

The GP couldn't find the strings!! Aarrrghhh.

#14 Floral Arrangement

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

decided to remove post.

Edited by FloralArrangement, 27 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#15 lamarque

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thank you notsonewone - it wasn't a good time for me at all.

My strings disappeared too (forgot to mention that one) but my GYN had no trouble finding and removing it.  Have you been referred to a GYN now?  

FloralArrangement - that's what my gp told me when I was referred to GYN for Mirena.  Unfortunately for some women it isn't tolerated at all - even Bayer's website acknowledges the very many side effects.

#16 Floral Arrangement

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's a real pity that it doesn't work for everyone, for me the mirena has been literally life changing. Obviously such a thing needs to be developed even further. I have to admit when copper iud's were the thing before the mirena that gave me the heebee's.

I cannot feel the strings of mine as I have an anti verted uterus(tilted a weird way I think that means) but the gp had no problem feeling the strings.

#17 feralisles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi OP,

Don't be too quick to dismiss the mirena option.  Yes some people have trouble, but the majority don't.  I used this method for 10 years and it was brilliant - no periods, no side effects except a bit of random spotting and cramping in the first few months.  

I had had trouble with depression, acne and migraines in the past. None of these recurred on the mirena, and neither did I gain any weight.  The iron deficiency caused by pregnancy resolved quickly thanks to not having periods.  As an active person, the freedom has been bliss.

Just thought I'd throw another point of view in there!  Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be.

#18 mumto3princesses

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I had the mirena. I'm glad I tried it but ugh. Lot's of problems!! I have very heavy periods and it did help a lot in that respect but it wasn't worth trading that for other problems.

Even my Gyno admitted that the symptoms I had could be the mirena although they are mean't to be very rare. I have heard of too many people having similar symptoms for it to be as rare as they say though.

#19 FreeRangeMum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I have a Mirena, and I'm also sensitive to hormones and have pnd (well now it's just anxiety disorder not pnd but I digress).

The Mirena has been great! I didn't react to it at all as the hormones stay localized in your uterus, and it was actually recommended by my psychiatrist who specializes in pnd as a great option for most women, he said its unlikely to exacerbate depression like the oral contraceptive pill!

#20 Nora.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

breast tenderness (can't lie on my stomach to sleep), breast cysts,

I already have cysts but wow, the tenderness is constant now. I had mine put in about 5 weeks ago. I expected other stuff but not sore boobs. Youch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.