Jamie's 15/30 Minute Meals Thread

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#1 Three Of Hearts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

So apparently Jamie's 15 minute meals cookbook was one of the hottest items this Christmas, and was listed as one of the top 3 sellers at quite a few stores.

So that means there must be a lot of EBers out there who received the book for Christmas!  So I think we need our own thread to discuss recipes!!

Personally I can't wait to make the Seared Asian Beef with noodle salad, and the Lamb Lollipops look cute!

Now just to get through all the Christmas leftovers so I can start trying some of them!!

ETA 10/01/13- Changed the title to add 30 minute meals!!

Edited by Allie_D, 10 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#2 bunny2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I have made the happy cow burgers (delicious!) and the san fran quinoa salad (also delicious). It's a great book, even better than 30 minute meals. I recorded the tv shows and got the recipes from there for anyone that doesn't want to buy the book, and that works well.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I got one! i haven't looked at it yet though lol.
I suspect once you do the prep it turns into a 30 min meal.

#4 Hairy Maclary

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

* Raises hand *

After trekking to 2 malls, I finally found this book.
Can't wait to start using it - after the Xmas leftovers are gone original.gif

Will be following this thread ...........

#5 Jess1

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I got one to! Can't wait to start trying recipes. I had lost my cooking mojo so am hoping this brings it back.

#6 Three Of Hearts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 26/12/2012, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect once you do the prep it turns into a 30 min meal.

I agree, although to give him credit he does say in the intro that it may take longer than 15 minutes when you are first trying things.   Also each recipe does say what you should have prepared to start each meal in order to make the 15 minute deadline.

For example:

Ingredients out
Kettle boiled
Large Frying pan, high heat
Medium Frying Pan, medium heat
Liquidizer

I can 99% guarantee I'll forget to boil the kettle every time! roll2.gif

#7 Three Of Hearts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (bunny2 @ 26/12/2012, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have made the happy cow burgers (delicious!) and the san fran quinoa salad (also delicious). It's a great book, even better than 30 minute meals. I recorded the tv shows and got the recipes from there for anyone that doesn't want to buy the book, and that works well.

I just looked up the happy cow burgers (silly me looked in the beef section first ddoh.gif  roll2.gif ).  They sound delicious!  I'm going to try them on my DH without telling him what they are until after he's eaten them!  He'll see a burger and just assume they have meat in them!

#8 EBeditor

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I was given the book for my birthday. I made a fish dish (one in tomato passata with couscous and a carrot salad on the side).

It was absolutely delicious but took more like 30 mins with the plating up.

I've also found that the recipes use a lot of ingredients and aren't that cheap to make. The kitchen looks like a disaster afterwards too. But you do get a great meal in a short amount of time.

#9 jeska~and~her~secret

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I got it too.

I'm going to hit the veggie section first (we are lapsed vegetarians) and then the fish. I'm pretty excited.

Of course, I am having a baby any day now, so it could be a while before I actually have anything to report.

#10 Missmarymack

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I got it too. Looking forward go trying the ricotta fritters and zucchini salad and the San Fran salad

#11 jai*

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I received it too. I can't wait to make the fish baps!

#12 bunny2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 26/12/2012, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've also found that the recipes use a lot of ingredients and aren't that cheap to make. The kitchen looks like a disaster afterwards too. But you do get a great meal in a short amount of time.

I will say many of the recipes do require a lot of ingredients, and not always non perishables that you have on hand.

The happy cow burgers don't use that many ingredients though!  And stuff that you can just keep in the freezer or in the pantry for ages.

It does take longer than 15 mins, but it is really easy and pretty quick.  

I want to try serving things on beautiful trays like he does in the book

#13 FiveAus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

I got both the 15 and 30 minute cookbooks.Haven't had a chance to have a good look yet, let alone choose some recipes to try out but I have the day off work tomorrow.

#14 Tealdash

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I held off from buying this one in the hopes that I would get it at Christmas time - but didnt, got two other though...but I will go and buy it this weekend  original.gif original.gif

#15 pitzinoodles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

We did! Cooked the chicken tikka salad and presented in the retro arty way he does....or so I hoped  - unfortunately it just looks like a dog vomited into the bowl!!! ohmy.gif

Tasted delicious though!, biggrin.gif

#16 ~shannon~

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Another hand up here! DH bought me the book for Christmas since we had both enjoyed the show so much (and cooked meals from the show). Haven't had a good chance to look through it yet.

But I'll be watching this thread.... However, can I please ask other posters that if you are mentioning a recipe, can you also include the page number so I can look it up quicker than 15 minutes too!  biggrin.gif

#17 pitzinoodles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

DH is currently cooking up the green tea salmon, currently smelling good, not sure that it will be complete in 15mins though! original.gif

#18 Three Of Hearts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (pitzinoodles @ 27/12/2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH is currently cooking up the green tea salmon, currently smelling good, not sure that it will be complete in 15mins though! original.gif

How was it?!

#19 Kalota

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am also one who got this cookbook for Christmas! I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I am loving the little simplicities such as "4 ways to have avocado on toast." Yum!

#20 summer80

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I've done the San Fran salad and the veggie chilli. Both were absolutely delicious and super easy! Didn't time myself but both of them definitely took under 30 mins to make so perfect for busy weeknight. Will try the happy cow burgers this week after reading pps.....

#21 WithSprinkles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've made the smoked salmon Yorkshire pudding (minus the beetroot salad as I just had it with the asparagus & leftover pumpkin&feta salad we had in the fridge). Was very easy and delicious. I think I might try the happy cow burgers next since it seems to be recommended!

#22 Jo-Anna

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

I got both books too.
Thursday night I made the sticky kicking chicken with watermelon salad..... YUM! I costed it at around $20 for the meal which served 3 of us (I had most of the sauces in the pantry). I think once my coriander crop (and other veggies) kicks off in the garden the price of his meals will go down. I also use bottled lime juice as limes are $2 each where I live at the moment!

Tonight I am cooking the pork parmas with brown rice. Will report back.
Think I will try the happy cow burgers too this week.

Also I think if you are like me and like to pack up as you go (and forget to boil the kettle) it takes more like 30 mins.

#23 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I've been eying off this book - is it worth my time getting if I don't have a food processor?  I don't mind if things take a bit longer than 15 minutes (though I don't have endless hours).

#24 FiveAus

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I did Jamie tonight, although it was from his 30 minute meal book. The spinach and feta pie, it was easy, delicious and looked like something out of a fancy restaurant. Definitely a winner. I made a salad from the same book to eat with it, but really any salad, or steamed veges would make a nice accompaniment.

#25 babybeli

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I was very happy to get this book for Christmas as I have enjoyed using yhe 30 minute one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Show us your DUPLO creations to win!

We love to see the cool creations kids build when they play with LEGO DUPLO. Enter and share a picture of your childs creation for a chance to WIN 1 of 10 LEGO DUPLO prize packs worth over $100 each.

Jammy, Hula Hoop, Rage: Reddit reveals most unusual baby names

A recent Reddit thread has revealed some of the more creative names in the world.

Woman awakens from coma, learns she gave birth

A US woman awakened this week from a four-month-long coma that doctors had feared would be permanent and learned that she had given birth to a baby boy, according to her family.

'Give us a break': mum sent shocking letter over Facebook baby pics

Posting a lot of baby photos doesn't make you a bad person. It may make your Facebook feed a little irritating, but it doesn't make you a bad person.

In defense of the dads who do so much

It's time to shift the focus off what dads aren’t doing and shine it on what they are.

The modern cloth nappies too cute to cover up

If you're only just joining the modern cloth nappy movement, or would like to spruce up your collection, we have to introduce you to Designer Bums.

How breastfeeding can affect your libido

When you’ve just had a baby, having sex isn’t usually top priority. In fact, for a lot of women it rates about as appealing as changing another dirty nappy.

Should pregnant women be allowed to use 'parent and child' car parking spots?

Is it acceptable to use these car parking spots when pregnant? How many of us would admit to doing it?

Healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man died

Fertility doctors have described their "most extraordinary case" - creating a healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man had died.

Anti-vaccination mum's seven children contract whooping cough

A Canadian woman who had declined to have her children immunised against pertussis, better known as whooping cough, has changed her position now that all seven of her children have come down with the disease.

How pregnancy probiotics can help you and your baby

New research suggests that taking specific pregnancy probiotics could be the answer to a range of common pregnancy side effects.

Childcare is a big problem, but there's more to it

Let’s keep talking about these issues and not allow them to be put into a neat little box that’s labelled ‘Fix childcare and everything is solved’.

Pink's awesome response to body-shaming trolls

When trolls felt the need to comment on 35-year-old singer-songwriter Pink's weight, her answer was an awesome ode to body love.

Fertility clinic offers egg donors $5000

A national chain of fertility clinics is offering egg donors a $5000 payment to cover their expenses, a first for Australia which is raising concerns the money could act as an inducement.

Baby boy abandoned in India amid fresh surrogacy concerns

Australian officials could do nothing to stop an Australian couple from abandoning their baby son, born through surrogacy in India, after they decided they did not want to bring him to Australia.

Herd immunity and community responsibility: how free-riders can make kids suffer

Individual choice works for haircuts and handbags, but not for preventing infectious diseases that kill kids.

Photographer captures 'unexpected beauty' of birth

If there is one thing Leilani Rogers knows about childbirth, it is that no two deliveries are ever the same.

Expectations vs the reality of making a toddler's clothes

Note to self: less sewing, more life. Not the party dress, but the party. The toddler, as usual, has it all figured out.

Mum meets 'dead' daughter 49 years after birth

In 1965, Zella Jackson-Price was told her premature baby girl had died shortly after birth.

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Tips for flying with a baby

Travelling with kids requires a whole other set of skills - ones that I have learned through (sometimes unfortunate) trial and error.

How to stay calm in an emergency

I’m not expecting you to be as calm as you might be right now. What I mean is that if your panic levels are through the roof during a stressful situation, let’s bring them down to just under the ceiling.

Toddler gets 'drunk' after cranberry juice mix-up

A toddler was taken to hospital after a waitress served her sangria instead of cranberry juice at a US restaurant.

Show us your toddlers LEGO DUPLO creations

We love to see the cool creations kids build when they play with LEGO DUPLO. Enter and share a picture of your childs creation for a chance to WIN 1 of 10 LEGO DUPLO prize packs worth over $100 each.

We need to stop using this word when we talk about childbirth

Is it shaming to point out that women are often being let down in birth?

The certificate helping parents deal with pregnancy loss

For some people, this certificate will offer a sense of validation that their child was acknowledged as being here and now gone, and will help them with life post-loss.

The phenomenon of phantom pregnancy kicks

'Phantom pregnancy kicks’ are encountered by many mums months - or even years - after their pregnancy is over.

The health insurance advice you can't afford to ignore

There's one simple switch that could save you hundreds of dollars a year in private health insurance.

4D scans show how smoking affects babies still in the womb

The harmful effects of smoking during pregnancy on unborn babies may be seen in tiny movements in their faces using 4D ultrasound scans, research has found.

The most dangerous toddler food trends

Pete Evans' paleo cookbook for kids caused a storm, but there are plenty of other unsafe food trends for babies and toddlers.

Infection killed new mum of twins

Modern medicine could not save 19-year-old Sophie Burgess who died 48 hours after giving birth to twins in the UK.

How to babyproof your job interview

Once upon a time, I was a fan of job interviews. That all changed after I'd switched careers, had a baby and decided to spend the first year at home with her.

Grieving families give warnings after toddler deaths

Two Queensland families are grieving the loss of their toddler sons after the boys drowned in separate incidents last week.

Man faces jail after giving woman abortion pill smoothie

A Norwegian man is facing jail after putting abortion pills in his ex-girlfriend's smoothie, causing her to have a miscarriage.

'He's a blessing': family of baby born without eyes

Jordy Jackson was born without eyes. He has anophthalmia, which affects one in every 100,000 babies born.

Super fit model Sarah Stage defends her pregnancy body

Model Sarah Stage has defended her pregnancy body after critics claimed her slim figure at eight-and-a-half months pregnant wasn't "normal".

Why I post breastfeeding photos online

I love to take pictures of my children. In some of the pictures, my younger son is nursing.

The day I broke my baby

There are things I wish I didn't know. I wish I didn't know that companies make tiny braces, small enough to hold necks no bigger than a wrist.

Geeky baby gear

If your family is more into Star Wars, gaming and the periodic table than most, you might want to check out these geek-chic baby items.

Grandbabies: the babies born looking old

Not a day under 65 and a lifetime of struggle! That's the look of these newborns, who look adorably older than their real age. Social networking site Reddit recently featured user submissions of adorable grandbabies, here are our favourites.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a year's worth of toys

Receive a daily email from Essential Baby for just the month of April with great play tips and ideas, then submit your baby at play photos to our Playwall, Instagram or Twitter for your chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.