Starting school / kindergarten

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 funandlaughter

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

My DD1 will be starting big school in 2013.

I have got uniforms and hat, school and library bag, lunch bag and drink bottle.

Just a few little questions though:

Stick on Name Labels - What site do you recommend to buy them from?

School Shoes - Any particular brands better or worse then others? Do you find it better to buy shoes from  athletes foot etc and they last longer or just get them from target or big w?

Hair Accessories - I would like to get some school hair bands and headbands. Does anyone know where I can buy them online?

And what do you pack in their school bags each day? just lunch bag, hat, drink bottle and spare change of clothes? any other things that I am missing?

#2 CharliMarley

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Have a look on ebay - they seem to sell everything on that web-site.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Stuck on You is good for name labels.

Target and Big W school shoes are rubbish I would get good quality ones and unless 'school shoes' are specified and a sports uniform worn, please consider shoes suitable for running and not black lace ups as they are impractical for daily physical sport.

The hair accessories are available in target etc, so you could try there online.

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Labels .. I bought some from identity direct. But with a lot of stuff, I use a black permanent marker. Works better, doesn't peel off, if it washes off I just rewrite it.

School shoes .. some of the "proper school shoes" actually have more flexibility in them these days, and are fine for general PE/running around the playground. I do put them in proper joggers on sport day. I get Lynx brand for my girls, mainly because they went the smallest in size, and my girls started school in size 8 shoes original.gif

Hair accessories - places like Lowes and best and Less have hair bands in the standard school colours (plain black, gold, burgandy, bottle green and navy). I also find these days there are heaps of "mum-type" businesses which sell hair accessoriesand will often do school colours for their local schools. There are several around here - one stocks some of her stuff at the local hairdresser, another actually sells through the school uniform shop.

Stuff in the school bag - lunch box, drink bottle, hat, and spare undies in the front pocket.  I never bothered with a complete change of clothes - accidents were very rare with my girls, and the school keeps a lot of change of clothes.
Oh, and communication book also went in the bag every day.  
But the school will let you know what else needs to come and go from school. Eg, what day the library day is etc.

#5 mumto3princesses

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have tried cheaper shoes and we did ok last year but this year they were rubbish. I think if you want to go with the cheaper end of school shoes then I would only look at grobys. I have decided to go back to Clarks now as I found if I get them fitted properly then they usually last all year which is much better than trying to find replacements when they are pretty limited at the shops.

Name labels. I like Identity direct the best but they are more $$. Other than that Bright Star kids are pretty good too. For clothes though I do a sharpie marking pen.

Hair accessories are everywhere. Target, kmart, big w, lowes and even our local chemist and junky type shops sell the local school colours.

A spare hat saves tears just in case a hat gets lost at recess and doesn't get found by lunch time.

#6 FeralBob!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Don't get cheap shoes, remember your kids  have growing feet and school shoes should be fitted correctly - your kids will spend a lot of time in them so they really should be comfortable.

Our school likes kids to bring their lunch, drink bottle, jumper and raincoat/poncho with them every day. Most schools will have a change of clothes if needed.

#7 msro82

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Labels - I like brightstar kids (15% off storewide today)

Shoes - DD is in Prep so first proper year of school. I purchased some clarks the other day from williams. They have quite flexible soles so for basic running around they will be fine. She will wear sneakers on sports day once a week. As someone said to me they spend 4 full days in school shoes, they need to be supportive and comfortable. I also liked the look of the lynx shoes.

I have purchased clip in bows and they do headbands and lots of different things from a online bow business. If you would like the specific name just PM me. I have purchased from them several times and always perfect! Bands I just get at the chemist or big w.

DD takes lunchbox, drink bottle, hat, spray jacket (in case of light rain), spare undies and socks, library bag when required. That's about it I think!

I totally agree have two school hats, nothing worse than trying to find a hat when you are running late! We have always had two and its been great.

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Our school usually has a meet the teacher evening about the 2nd or 3rd week of school where they will go through specific needs for each class. Like which days they have PE and need sports shoes and library etc. Then certain teachers prefer certain types of books or folders etc.

I strongly suggest having a trial run of the school bag with a lunch and ice brick plus drink in it. Something I will never forget when my twins started school a few years back. Second day of school they lined up where they were told to when the bell rang and I put DD#2's bag on her back and she fell backwards against me and DD3 struggled too. I went out and bought them new lighter bags that day. I was later told that yes, there was quite a few little turtles! The little ones fell backwards and were stuck like a turtle laying backwards on its shell.

#9 librablonde

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Shoes- I bought school shoes for DD and DS in Kinder and Prep from K-Mart. They were utter crap and fell apart about 4 months into the year. I had to buy DD 3 pairs of shoes during her Kinder year!! Both kids kept scuffing the toes off their shoes and creating actual holes. Also, the velcro straps fell apart, a buckle broke off and DS's cheapie school boots wore entirely through the sole. For Grade 1-2 for DD I bought her expensive Roc brand lace up shoes and they've lasted 12 months for each year. No broken velcro or buckles, toes are heavily scuffed but the leather is thick so can be just polished to look reasonable again. I now believe well-made shoes are totally worth the time and money of purchasing them.

#10 désir d'amour

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Please, if she can't do up shoelaces, buy her velcros or buckles!

Bane of my existence, little kids with undone shoelaces who can't do them up themselves.  And it doesn't matter how many times you double-knot them, kids have an uncanny ability to have them come undone.

Leave your shoelaced shoes for practicing on at home!

#11 Funwith3

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Something you might like to do - I pack a little pack of wipes in DDs school bag in case she needs it after eating (I cannot stand messy faces) and also a roll on sunscreen. My daughter also gets very dry lips and dry skin on her face so she has her own little pawpaw balm in her bag.

Shoes...I always get the best.

#12 beaglebaby

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Another vote for Brightstarkids labels, their iron ones last really well.

For shoes I've found some of the "school" sports shoes from places like Betts or even Athletes Foot don't last much longer than Kmart or Target - so I now buy proper sports shoes, usually from Rebel.  Asics and Nike last well (and there are some good sales at this time of year) and even their own brand that come in black or white for school have lasted a couple of terms.

Finding sandals suitable for school however is another issue entirely!

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Even on days they don't have sport, please consider the flexible soled shoes in lieu of traditional styles I see a lot of kids in stiff lace up shoes or flimsy sandals and they are unsafe on the playground and find it difficult to run around the playground at recess and lunch.

Airflex are quite good.

#14 funandlaughter

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thankyou so much for your advice ladies.

EB is just so valuable... I was leaning towards buying the cheaper school shoes but will now look into getting a good pair... are clarks from mathers? what are athletes foot shoes like?

oh and no laces for us as yet as she cant tie them

#15 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

We are big fans of Clarks shoes (the velcro Mary Jane style). Easy to put on/take off, and not quite as awful looking as the clunky lace up kind.

Another thing you might add to your purchase list is a very distinctive backpack decoration (key chain or little dangling object) that will make it extra easy for your daughter to spot her school bag.

Hope she loves school!

#16 mumto3princesses

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

You can get clarks at quite a few places.

Not sure about Mathers as I haven't gone there since they sold me another brand shoe when DD#1 was in Year 1 too many years ago to think about and they were badly fitted. Cut up her feet pretty badly but when I took her back they refunded and apologised. But that was probably only that store and that sales person not Mathers itself. Just can't go there after that.

I usually go to Shoes and Socks for our shoes but I know you can get them at David Jones and Myer.

#17 Blueblue

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

some advice "skimp on everything else but shoes"

#18 i-candi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

We always buy Ascent from Athletes Foot. They last and the kids podiatrist said they are a good brand. He did say Roc are a good cheaper alternative but a little heavier.

I had a bad experience with Clarkes falling apart in term one. I even tried the cheapest from Kmart  or target and they lasted a day! Dd is hard on her shoes !

Starting school is fun ! I love uniform shopping. DS is going into second year high school at a different school so get to buy everything all over again ! Yippie not, fun but expensive

Eta got name of shoe wrong

Edited by i-candi, 26 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#19 Ritaroo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Blueblue @ 26/12/2012, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
some advice "skimp on everything else but shoes"

Have to disagree. Cheap pencils and glue is a waste of time. The pencils just break all the time and the glue doesn't stick. It is a pain when students bring in those things from the cheap shop, I just end up buying some for them.

#20 cinnabubble

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

We got Ecco mary janes for FYOS. They are expensive (like $110) but they lasted her all year. A really worthwhile investment.

#21 mindy05

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

If you buy one pair of school shoes from Myer, I think you can get a second pair at a discount. This means you can get your everyday shoes and a pair of sneakers.

#22 Monket

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I got DS black Nike runners last year and they are still in perfect condition.  I will probably buy the same for DD, although they aren't particularly girly they will be comfortable.

#23 gizboo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

We get Ascent school shoes from Athletes Foot, they are great.

I get DD1's school hair accessories from a Facebook store, she does corkers, bows, woven hairbands in any colours. Happy to share details, just PM.

#24 lovedupmumma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Go the velcro shoes as others have suggested.

In addition to what you have listed in the schoolbag I'd pack a raincoat.

I wouldn't worry about a whole change of clothes, just a couple of pairs of spare undies.

#25 i-candi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Please send at least bottom half of uniform in ie shorts/ skirts. It's amazing how many spare clothes you giveaway, most don't bother returning them!

Our spare uniforms come from the second hand stall, some may not have been washed so be prepared for that if you don't send in spare uniforms. The spare doesn't need to be the proper uniform but can be the generic colours from big W.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.