delete

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

deleted for privacy

Edited by Kalota, 05 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#2 Frazzled Cat

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'd go for it.  As long as it's not something that's going to have whopping great roots going under the existing fence.

#3 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Edited by Kalota, 05 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#4 Jembo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I would definately ask them before doing it, drop a note in their letterbox or go knock on their door and try catch them first.

People can get awfully upset over fencing areas, so would be best not to cause any problems over lattice.  Chances are in any event if they can see your place they will be grateful you are doing it original.gif

#5 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Jembo @ 26/12/2012, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would definately ask them before doing it, drop a note in their letterbox or go knock on their door and try catch them first.

People can get awfully upset over fencing areas, so would be best not to cause any problems over lattice.  Chances are in any event if they can see your place they will be grateful you are doing it original.gif

I know, this is why we originally thought we'd ask them, however the problem is that we think they have gone away over the summer holidays, and DF and I want to put the lattice up this weekend as it is our only 2 days we have off work at the same time! So we don't know whether to go ahead with it or not... we can't ask them sad.gif (Unless they return before Saturday!)

#6 saxa

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I guess you don't have to check but I would first.

That plant you are going to put in really aggravates my hay fever so maybe just check on that too.

#7 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 26/12/2012, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess you don't have to check but I would first.

That plant you are going to put in really aggravates my hay fever so maybe just check on that too.

Oh good point, saxa! I didn't even think about hay fever! There are star jasmine plants all along that side of our fence already, though (that's why we chose it!). But anyway, and this is rather interesting, I just noticed on the plant nursery tag it says it's a low allergenic plant! Musn't be at all like "real" jasmine, which has quite a strong odour and can aggravate hay fever.

Edited by Kalota, 26 December 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#8 saxa

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

If its already down that side of the fence it obviously doesn't worry them original.gif

I never used to have hay fever at all but ever since having DS 8 years ago I developed it and really strange things set mine off!

#9 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 26/12/2012, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its already down that side of the fence it obviously doesn't worry them original.gif

I never used to have hay fever at all but ever since having DS 8 years ago I developed it and really strange things set mine off!

I guess it just depends on the person, hey! I know sometimes strange things set my hayfever off, too!

Even though the plant is still all along that side of the fence, and even though I don't really *have* to tell them, I think I'm still going to try and catch them before we put the lattice up just to let them know at least sad.gif I want to do the right thing!

#10 greenthumbs

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Can you try their neighbours on the other side and see if they have contact numbers for them? or could contact them for you and ask?

#11 mitty82

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

if you own your home and they own theirs then wait to ask them. Eek I wouldnt want to p*ss my neighbours off if we have to live nxt to each other for 30 years lol. common courtesy.

Id just wait and see what they say.

#12 TopsyTurvy

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

OP I'd just go ahead.

As long as its on your side, legally you are entitled to so as you like, plus have you considered what you would do if they say they don't want you to?  What do you do then, leave yourselves with no privacy?

In this case I think it's better to seek forgiveness than permission!

When they do get back, pop over and present it to them as a positive.  Ie: We didn't realise you were away when we tried to let you know (not ask permission) we were going to put this lattice up.  Once the star jasmine grows its going to look great!
Hope you enjoyed your holiday, and if you ever need us to collect your mail/put your bins out when you are away, please let us know biggrin.gif

I often think that if you approach people with a slightly cap in hand, humble approach to things, with the assumption that they might have a issue with it, you are introducing them to the idea it may be an issue, whereas if you just tell them what you are doing, if is there are no issues at all, they are more likely to accept it as such.

#13 WithSprinkles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Personally, I'd wait until you can speak to them. If they are away then privacy isn't going to be an issue while they are away. I think it's best to try and stay on the best possible terms (and not being told/asked might annoy them).

#14 caitiri

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

I always thought if you wanted to alter the height of a fence that you needed permission,  have you checked with your council?

#15 babychacha

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (caitiri @ 27/12/2012, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought if you wanted to alter the height of a fence that you needed permission,  have you checked with your council?

Me too. I'm not so sure you can just go ahead and do this at all. Especially if it might block some of their nattural sunglight.

#16 BobTony

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Mostly it's covered under the Dividing Fences Act, and Councils don't tend to get involved. If the lattice is going to bring the height of the fence over 1.8 metres, though, you really should get their permission if it's going to be attached to the dividing fence because they can object, and in those circumstances the Council can ask you to take it down.

Another reason I'd run it by them is that if they're paranoid, or have had bad experienceswith neighbours before, putting it up during the Christmas period and while they're on holidays could make them think that you're trying to pull a swifty, which will escalate any potential dispute exponentially and could create very bad feeling with your neighbours.

Personally, I'd run it by them first.

#17 Kalota

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Apparently not, we already asked council and they wanted nothing to do with it! All of our other fences have already been adjusted with lattice, too, this is the only fence left that hasn't been.

#18 Kalota

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Well, the neighbours never returned and yesterday was DF's last day off before he goes away on an extended work trip so we decided to go ahead and put it up sad.gif I feel bad for not asking them but we tried several times to go knock on their door etc! I plan to pop over when they get back and let them know, and hope they are ok with it!

Also, I checked on our councils website and you are allowed to put lattice up to 50cm tall on top of your fence line - so it's completely legal and approved original.gif

#19 tiredtoo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Since you needed to do it before they got back I would drop a note under their door saying sorry that you did not get to talk to them prior to doing it and explain the circumstances of your partner going away so this was the only time you could put it up. If you still have the label for the vine put it in the envelope so they can read what it is and discuss it with you if they would prefer another plant instead.(if you don't mind another option).
Also when they get back make an effort to go and see them about it so you can chat about it face to face. Hopefully they won't be too bothered and appreciate your willingness to talk about it.

#20 Kalota

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Spoke to the neighbours today about it, they were completely fine original.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.