Baby measuring big @ 35 weeks

17 replies to this topic

#1 Little.One

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I am just over 35 weeks and at my last appt my OB told me baby has grown a lot in 2 weeks and that I may potentially be heading towards having a larger than average baby. All along she has been looking average until now.

This news concerned me so I went for a growth scan yesterday. Apparently baby's head is measuring average, abdominal is slightly above average and overall estimated weight s currently 3182g! Hello that 7lbs now! I have 5 weeks more of growing to do!

The US estimated my due date one week earlier than my Dr did which is strange considering I thought they'd be the same being an IVF baby.

So my fears are: what if. End up with a 9.5lb baby, will I be able to birth her? Would I be better of going for a c section?

As this is my rest baby I have fears of the unknown and am scared of making the wrong birth choice. I'd like to go natural but if its going o be an awful traumatic experience that would  require loads of intervention would I be better off opting for a c section?

Any advice/experiences?

#2 pinkcupcakes

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

if it's any consolation, op, i am only 5'2, had a c-section with my first bub, am overweight ( higher risk category) and ds was 9 pound born. i had a successful vbac in only a few hours. i did have tearing but i think that was because i was on birthing stool for those last few pushes ( not recommended) and i got a bit impatient so i think i may have been a bit hasty. if i had been more patient and also gone to all fours i think i probably would have avoided tearing. that aside though, it was a wonderful birth and only had gas in the first stages of labour. if you feel confident and you have a positive team of staff/support ppl, you can do it. but its a decision that only you can make.all the best though, op and congrats! ddance.gif

#3 Corella

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Growth scans have a huge margin of error at 35w. Bigger babies are easier to birth than little ones wink.gif - less effort!

#4 mumofenergiserbuny

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

my DS  was measuring the same at 35weeks, he was born 2 weeks later at 8lb 6oz (3.79 kg)..... the baby may slow down growth.... either way do what you feel comfortable with, i had a natural birth and yes i tore but that was due to other reasons not due to the size of DS.

#5 mrsboof

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

At 35 weeks with DD my fundal height was 38cm. We didn't bother doing a scan at that point, both DH and myself have long family history of big babies, so figured she would be big. We had an appointment booked on a Monday at 38weeks to decide whether to LSCS or not, but I had spontaneous rupture of membranes on the Sat afternoon at 37+6.

I was offered a C-section straight away if I wanted, but asked the OB what he thought and his concerns regarding risk. His response 'you'll never know unless you try'. And fair enough, both my mum and MIL had vaginally delived 11 pounders with no residual damage. So try we did.

Unfortunately, I ended up fully dilated and obstructed with an emergency C-section at 3am and a 9 pound bub. But you know what, as awful as that sounds, I don't regret it one bit. I'm happy I gave it a go and experienced labour, even though it didn't work out in the end. I am also very happy to have a planned C-section this time.  biggrin.gif

Mind you, If DD had stayed in until the Monday, and a scan showed she was already 9 pound at 38 weeks, I probably would have taken then OB's advice if they recommended a C-section.

Edited by mrsboof, 25 December 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#6 feral strawberry

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Big babies are bot always scary. My boys were 10.5 lbs,  9 lbs & just over 10 lbs. I am average build and I had 3 easy births all under 4 hours abd each baby was out in about 3 pushes. My last bub was also born at home with a 38cm head ( which is the part that hurts the most rather than the weight!!).

Good luck. Hope you do get the birth you want original.gif

#7 bikingbubs

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

My DS was measuring big at 36wks.  He was born at 42 weeks weighing 7lb10oz.  Ie, the growth scan was VERY wrong! Even if they are a bit out, the margin of error is huge!

#8 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I agree with the PP's, big babies aren't necessarily harder ones to birth.

My 4 were 9lb4, 10lb5, 10lb6 and 10lb - first one was a bit tough but the others were pretty easy. The size estimates were close with all of them so I knew kind of what I was in for!

I birthed all mine with no problems at all. Hope all goes well with the arrival of your baby!

#9 TillyTake2

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Honestly, don't panic!!

My son also measured "large". Or as my ob put it, he was a "good size overall". At 33 weeks his head was measuring 37 weeks!! They do grow in spurts & by 38 weeks he'd slowed (his head was measuring full term though).

He was a decent sized baby born, 3.9kg. But I had no tearing & I don't regret my vaginal birth at all. He was even born totally posterior (his head came out facing up!).

My ob wasn't concerned & just said that babies grow at different rates & they all fall somewhere on the curve. Some women have smaller ones, some larger, it doesn't matter either way.

#10 Feral Mozzie

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

You could be me - I was told just yesterday that my bub was 3.2kg at my scan 2 weeks ago (then 35+1). The Ob is sending me off for another GD test, even though I passed the first one, because he is worried they just missed it then. That scares me a bit.

But he did say that if I don't have GD, he isn't worried about the size alone because the scans are not very accurate, and I shouldn't have trouble birthing a baby of that size (it's my first too). He did say he probably won't let me go much past 40 weeks though.

Good luck with it.

#11 NotRocketScience

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

You will be able to birth her. I was in a similar situation I think dd measured around 4kg at 37 weeks. It of course was only an estimate. DD was induced at 40 + 4 and came out at 10lb3oz (4.61kg). She was birthed vaginally. Yes she was big but to be honest she didn't feel much bigger than DS who was 8lb 8oz.

#12 Little.One

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies original.gif

I had my OB appt today and Dr said he's happy with her size and I haven't been putting on weight. Overall he said everything is looking good and there is nothing to worry about. When I asked about her weight he said that she's average and he viewed the report. So I feel better after today. I'm going to put my faith and trust in my OB as I know that he's the guru!

#13 Vanilla-Cupcakes

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

I measured huge, looked huge, palpated huge, but had a 7lb1oz baby! Measurement isn't always reliable

#14 sweetest_pea

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think what the doctors concern would be, is the head to abdominal proportion/ratio. Sometimes when babies abdominal circumference is much larger than the head, there's a fear of shoulder dystocia occurring during delivery - when the head comes out, but the shoulders get stuck and then in some (quite rare) cases drastic measures need to be carried out to get baby out.

Edited by sweetest_pea, 27 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#15 Rumina

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't know why an OB would comment on a baby's size. Estimates are inaccurate and size doesn't equate to birth outcome...
Relax, enjoy your pregnancy.. Your body is designed to birth your baby!

#16 TillyTake2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I am 5'2, I had a 8pound8 baby. No stitches. No complications (other than a very long labour lol). I would not in a million years opt for a csec.

#17 Feral Mozzie

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Throughout my whole pregnancy (from about 26 weeks), i was warned i was going to have a whopper. My DD was measuring 3.2kg at 35 weeks, and an estimated 4.2kg at 39 weeks.

She was born at 40+4 and was 3.47kg!

The scans are notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn't worry about it.

#18 sweetest_pea

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi, I just had my baby yesterday. His estimate was 3.22kg at 35w4d and he was born at 37w4d weighing 3.245 kg so yes showed the scan was off - the ob mentioned it can be out by 15% either way. The induced labor was difficult as I didn't have pain relief and I was quite panicked at times thinking it would fail but he was born vaginally with no tears, active birth 4 hours. original.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.