Primary teaching - honestly what is it like?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mum201

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi all,
I have DS, who is a year old. When I had him, the idea was that I would go back to my corporate role in 6 months. DH and I visited every daycare in the area and couldn't agree on one and finally figured out the problem was not the specific daycares, but both of us not wanting him in daycare at all. Plus we realised that both parents being out of the home for 12 hrs a day just wasn't going to work for us - so I packed in my job, and am a sahm.

Now that I am thinking about it, I don't think my previous life is ever going to mesh well with being a mummy so I am going to have to retrain and do something more appropriate. I have done a bit of undergrad study before for fun and enjoyed it so am now thinking about going down that path again. At first I was thinking Accounting and doing bookkeeping from home or for a local business, and whilst this seems to be a sensible option, I would find it painful and I wouldn't love it.

Then I thought about teaching. I used to teach kids martial arts and was good at it. I am patient, am great with little kids, and want to do something that makes a difference in the world - and I feel this fits the bill. It's also a skill that is transportable.  Plus, it fits in perfectly with having a child. So, enough of my long winded post. Do you enjoy being a primary teacher?

#2 naomi_j86

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I love teaching and having my own class.

I do not love casual teaching.

Some people are lucky and get a job straight away, but there is also the very real possibility that you could end up going a few weeks with no work, and if you are just casual, ALL holiday periods are unpaid.

#3 désir d'amour

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (naomi_j86 @ 25/12/2012, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love teaching and having my own class.

I do not love casual teaching.

Some people are lucky and get a job straight away, but there is also the very real possibility that you could end up going a few weeks with no work, and if you are just casual, ALL holiday periods are unpaid.

3 years without a job before ANZAC day, and only 2-3 casual days before then.

The teaching is fine.  The getting a job is the crap bit.

#4 carlakoala

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Teaching is a wonderful career for all the reasons you mentioned.
It can also be exhausting, especially in the junior grades when you are on your feet nearly all day, constantly on the go...multitasking galore.                                                                                     There is physical preparation of resources and paperwork preparation at home, assessments, portfolios, reports, committee meetings, staff meetings, professional development research, arranging incursion, excursions, special event days, displays...just some of the aspects of working year. In other words it is not a 9am - 3pm job and whilst the holidays are generous some of those days are used to set up the room and prepare lots of resources for the term.
I have two young school age boys who also go to the same school I work at - it's a bonus in some ways (no need for outside care arrangements) and not in others. I often have to take them early to school with me so I can set up for the day and then they are there after school as I try to clean up.
When we get home they need prompting with their homework, I listen to their home reading, cook dinner and prompt the whole bedtime routine.
Some days I thrive on the business of it all and sometimes I fall asleep on the couch my 8pm.
The above views/ways are just my own and of course not common to all teachers.

Best of luck with any career choice you make.

#5 cattivo lupo

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I wouldn't recommend primary teaching simply because there aren't enough jobs.  There are those who get lucky, or are in the right place at the right time, then there are the rest of us.  Casual teaching sucks and can really mess with your self esteem - you don't get called for a few weeks and start wondering if you messed up.  You don't belong anywhere and feel kind of second class.  And you also get the pleasure of watching other teachers who don't care, and do the job badly and b**ch about how much they hate it who do the bare minimum.  And that isn't everyone of course, but I've seen them and its frustrating.

And it doesn't depend on doing brilliantly at uni, grade point average of 3.4, and still no permanency here  sad.gif  .

I'd love my own class, and I actually really enjoy the actual teaching bit, and I'm good at it, but I'm fed up with the instability of casual work.  Look on the Facebook TeachNSW site, there are heaps of us in the same boat.

#6 gina70

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Next year will be my 5th year as a teacher.  You want honesty so here it is: (tired so using dot points)

* hated the 4 years of study, expensive (even with hecs) and time consuming
*first year out I hated it, long long hours and very stressful
*2nd year out a bit better, but still wasn't sure I was going to stick it out
*3rd year could only get small contracts and relief work, okay, but  not good for the budget
*4th year:  totally in love with teaching!  But in saying that my kids are older and I devoted a lot of time and energy to my class.

I am still on contract and I probably won't get a permanent job for a few years yet as they are very rare.  I mostly work 9 hour days, my students are on my mind a lot, the weekends involve work but also preparing for the working week, like ironing etc. As I am too tired at night to do much.

I absolutely love my job/vocation and have already started planning what I will teach next year, researching and working out my classroom layout.  Like most teachers, I do spend a few thousand of my own money each year as well.

You do not teach for the money!

#7 PoshMosh

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Does anyone know if it's also hard to secure a secondary teaching role in NSW?

#8 carlakoala

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I forgot to mention that I am one of the very lucky ones who is a permanent teacher. I am very grateful for it each year. As so many others commented it's heart breaking to watch so many casual teachers unsure where or if they will have a job year to year.  These are good - great teaches who put in way above and beyond effort to add to their  resume in hope of standing out for selection. I can only imagine the stress of them and their family due to the uncertainness of work year to year. I've never, ever noticed there being a hint of a 'teacher shortage' in primary schools about me - I think the fine print would read 'teacher shortage of high school maths teacher in extremely remote community.'

#9 Penguin78

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Flylikeabutterfly @ 25/12/2012, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if it's also hard to secure a secondary teaching role in NSW?

Depends what you are teaching. Maths and Science yes. English and history in Western Sydney. Most everything else is hard.

OP , as someone who went from corporate to teaching, the work hours are a lot more manageable as a teacher. Sure it's not 9-3, but less then corporate that's for sure

#10 librablonde

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

My friend is a high school teacher and has been a on contracts at the same school, fulltime for 4+ years. Only now has he finally be offered a permanent role. It's really been very hard on his family being financially unstable all those years. He loves teaching the teens, hates the politics of how the school is run and the instability of contract roles.

#11 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#12 mum201

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (proudmama1 @ 25/12/2012, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still waiting for DS to wake up! He did not fall asleep until 10.30 last night...

Thank you for your replies! A lot to think about indeed! My sister teaches secondary school, so I have been probing her for her opinion as well. She agrees with a lot has been said here and also added that the staff room politics can be crappy, but she wouldn't do anything else. She also feels it could be a good personality fit. Urgh..... I have a lot of thinking to do....... But I am actually a bit excited about it.
But thanks again all.

#13 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Honestly, I teach Prep and at the school I am currently at there is no way I could continue my career if I had a family sad.gif Its far too exhausting and far too much work. I get to school at about 7.30-8am and don't leave until around 6pm, I also do schoolwork almost every evening when I get home and on the weekend. I love the job, it's very rewarding and I love the children I work with and seeing them grow - but at my current school it is very demanding and I don't think I could continue if I had young children. I only speak on behalf of my own experience, though!

Edited by Kalota, 26 December 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#14 José

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I used to be a teacher and got permanency in nsw straight out of uni  there is definitely LOTS of out of hours work. Also I worked in schools where children came from disadvantaged backgrounds and I often struggled with wanting to do more for the kids and feeling bad that I couldnt.  I hated that society seems not to value teachers as I see teaching as so important. Also be prepared to be yelled at, sworn at and complained about- from teachers and students. That isnt just my experience,  surveys by teachers federation indicates if happens much more than you think. Just some examples one six year old was kicking other  six year olds and calling them mother f#@! Ers. I had him sit separately for a short time.  His dad went off that I was picking on him. Many parents think that because they have 1 or 2 kids they could effectively teach a whole class and are often quick to let you know. Politics in schools can be crazy as you mentioned. Also while I found teaching to be challenging it wasnt intellectually stimulating. In primany school be aware you have to teach music as well as sport, art,  history etc etc.

#15 Niamh23

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Penguin78 @ 25/12/2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends what you are teaching. Maths and Science yes. English and history in Western Sydney. Most everything else is hard.

OP , as someone who went from corporate to teaching, the work hours are a lot more manageable as a teacher. Sure it's not 9-3, but less then corporate that's for sure

I went from corporate to teaching (secondary) and have found the hours much longer. Maybe not in terms of "office" hours, but the prep and marking done outside of school takes up a lot of time. And the difference is that you are always thinking about school in the back of your mind. It's not a job you can just leave at the office and forget about it.

And not to nitpick, but it's less thAn! Sorry, one of my pet peeves as an English teacher!

Edited by Niamh23, 26 December 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's hard work, it's underappreciated and is unstable for at least 4-5 years.

#17 Lyn29

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 03:04 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.