Hi all

New thread time

Previous thread

Regards

Ali

#2 monkeys mum

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Gold - my first one too!!!

Merry  Christmas everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Santa's been here so I'm now about to go to bed.

#3 RosieCotton

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

SILVER! Merry Christmas everyone!

Jet lag is good for something. I've been overseas for a few weeks and am catching up on everyone's news. Hope everyone is doing well this Christmas.

Edited by RosieCotton, 25 December 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#4 NikonMum

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Bronze!
Merry christmas everyone! Hope u all have a wonderful day!

On the topic of the labour/ delivery has anyone started on or done their birth plan? Iv got no idea where the start !

Here's to a sober but very fun xmas day with family! Fingers crossed i get a special xmas gift and feel some butterflies today!

#5 redback72

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and friends, hope you all did too.. Enjoying our Boxing Day in preparation for my 40th Birthday tomorrow.. We are having a fancy dress party this Saturday to celebrate..

Baby is all good from our first antenatal appointment 24/12/12, filled in the mountain of paperwork, so now we are all legal to birth..

Looking forward to 31/12/12 for our appointment in Cairns with the OB/GYN for the counselling session to do with our 'high risk, trisomy 18' scan and bloods. Will be able to get some important information and hopefully some closure in a positive way.

Will keep you all posted..

R

bbighug.gif

#6 bettinae

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hello there ladies just found a vacant computer in the house quick jump on and send a quick hi and hope you are all well xxxx

Merry Christmas and lots love and luck in 2013 and at this special time of year xxxx

bbighug.gif

I AM SO TIRED xxxxx bbabyflip.gif  bbighug.gif

#7 monkeys mum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (nikonmum @ 25/12/2012, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the topic of the labour/ delivery has anyone started on or done their birth plan? Iv got no idea where the start !

I dont worry about them anymore, i did one for dds birth but knew from the start that thngs change quickly, after that i didnt bother. Where to start? What is important to you? Do you want pain meds? Who do you want there or who do you definately not want there?

I tell the midwife on arrival what my birth plan is, i let them know i want a drug free active labour, i would prefer to avoid a cs but if it comes to it i would consent to it if it was the best for baby. I also let them know that i hate needles and do not want a epi for any reason, if an emergency cs is needed then general all the way and if things go pear shape dp is to stay with the baby.

What i suggest to others is to watch some birth videos online, or tv shows like one born every minute, or on Foxtel discovery health. Last pregnancy i watched some home birth videos and read a bit about active labour and the best delivery positions, lying on a bed to delivery isnt the best idea.

Redback have a wonderful, wonderful birthday! A dress up party sounds great fun!!

I didnt get home till 2.30 this morning from Christmas celebrations, though that was mainly because dp got called in to work from six till one am so we were waiting for him to finish to come get me and the monkeys from my parents. It was a great night thoug as we sat playing cards and having a great laugh, my bestiejoined uswith her youngest for the day. Only downside was being sick, even the Zofran didnt help.

#8 RellBell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

I hadn't really thought about labour, but after yesterday I guess it's time to start watching a few videos.

I watched one, but she seemed to have it pretty easy - there wasn't any horror screaming. Just "push, push, oh I see a head... hooray, a baby", then a fair bit of bleeding and a placenta. I'm sure they're not all that quick.

My sister on Christmas day just went on and on about labour, she said "don't worry, we'll all be there" and I said "I don't want to offend anyone, but i'd rather you all came after the baby was born, as I would prefer to minimize the amount of people who see my hoo-hah" and then she went on about how you have no privacy when you have babies and they shove their whole hand up there to see what's going on. And how you're on display for everyone to see (precisely why I would rather it just be my partner). And basically went on about the horrors of it all, because I remember her daughter's birth and they just had her legs up, hoo-hah on display, and then once bub was born (she had a C-section after hours of failed labour) they just pulled out her boob in front of everyone and popped the baby on. I know it sounds a little silly to be so reserved, but I am a private person, not just a baby making machine sad.gif

#9 misty123

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Merry Xmas everyone!!

I'm trying not to think about the birth yet. Try not to worry about everyones birth stories everyone talks them up a bit im sure! Honestly, things don't always go to plan so having a rough idea if you want pain killers or not and dp/dh to cut the cord everything else could go out the window. Once you are in labour you just want it over with and all that stuff that you may have worried about or thought was important isn't.

Once the baby is in your arms everything else goes away! It's amazing.

2 more weeks until we find out boy or girl, can't wait

Xx

#10 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Feeling sick again here and the meds arent working, and of course it was DHs day off that I am most rotten sad.gif here's hoping that tomorrow is a better day.

As for labour, this time will be a planned csection so I'm
Just hoping to make it to 39 weeks and no ICU or SCN time for either bub or me. My last birth plan went completely out the window!

#11 RellBell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Being first bub, i'm very new to all this birthing plan stuff... but I hear painkillers and drugs and think "give me everything you've got!"

I hope I dont offend anyone by asking this or step on any toes, but what is the logic behind drug free labour? I have heard it mentioned a lot; is it just personal choice? Or is it better somehow?

At first glance I think "but why would you choose that?" and i'm just curious. Sorry if its an invasive question.

#12 monkeys mum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Relly my last birth was like that, it was a bit easier then that as my boy was born in one push that my body just took over and did.

Drug free hmmm i guess its more due to past experiences, i had gas and pethidine with dd and the gas made me feel worse and the peth could have caused the issues she had. So after that i said no more peth as i dont want a blue baby again. With my first son i used gas as i couldnt get off the bed that easy as it was medically induced. My last i found i didnt need anything i let gravity work its magic and heat packs being rubbed on my lower back. Bonus being i was more in control and remember everything. I want drug free this time but know anything can happen.

My dd and my youngest are full of the cold and today i have felt awful since waking up of course now i cant sleep though im knackered.

#13 misty123

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Reilly I think (and I could be wrong here just my opinion) but a lot of women want to try give birth naturally so it's best for baby as almost all pain killers do effect the baby in some way, and also so that they are fully aware of what's going on during the labour and faster recovery.  plus perhaps a bit of that accomplishment status to do it drug free.

I had a long labour after being induced (48 hours) and planned on having an epi which I had and am very relieved I did as I was just so tired. I will be doing the same this time if I can (but hoping not to be induced).

#14 Nervy

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I'm back at work today poo!

Relly, with my DS i went through 14 hours of labour with no pain relief, then he was facing the wrong way around, i had morphine which was useless, then right at the end i needed a spinal and forcep delivery. So after going through all that hell of pain, i had drugs in the end anyway, this time, i'll spare myself the grief and be more forceful if i want painkillers, my midwife kept deterring me for an epidural, and when i finally screamed for one, she said it was too late! Then the OB & midwife had a big argument in front of me as DS was posterior, i was in maternal exhaustaion, the anethetist had to be called in from 40 minutes away, i had a massive bill for him as it was a sunday morning, oh my goodness, it was ridiculous. Anyway, had to let that out, and yes, i will probably have some assistance with the birth in the way of epidural - due to my horrendous first experience!

P>S feeling nice strong kicks today! Very excited!

#15 kahm

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Relly, Have a look at some literature on the 'cascade of interventions', that might help you make up your mind about what's best for you with labour.
Essentially, the theory is that intervening to reduce pain can often lead to labour slowing down, so then you need to speed labour up again, so you need more pain relief etc etc.  There's an increased risk of bub getting all distressed in amidst all this too so there can also be an increased risk of needing an emergency C.  

Redback - Happy birthday!!!  Thinking of you on NYE.

Nervy - Back at work already?  Bugger!

Glad to hear people have been having fun this silly season.  We've got family staying with us at the moment and we're bursting at the seams.  My nephew (6) is being a stinker, trying to control everything (Noooo! Miiiiine!  Don't look at/touch/think about it!!!!)  The kid's being a total fascist control freak.  His sister is spending her time sobbing and squealing in response to being needled and the littlest one (19m) is refusing to have day sleeps.  Joy.

Seriously, hats off to those of you with 3+ kids.  There's NO WAY we're having more than two, especially not within 4.5 years!  Not only has pregnancy been not much fun, there's just not enough time in the day to pick up after/mediate between/encourage/remind/give boundaries to all three.  They're even forgetting to say their please/thankyous because the adults around the place are too busy dealing with the latest crisis to remind them.

To top it all off, my MS is back with a vengeance.  I'm 15+2 and thought I was past it but all the hullaballoo with the three kidlets has me trying to do far too much.  The result is me being slapped around by a foetus.  It's like bub's saying 'Muuuuum!  Enough already! I'm tired.'  So it's been close to 48 hours since I've eaten a decent meal, less than 3 since the last puke fest, and I'm eternally grateful for having extra adults on hand to take the kids out while I snooze some more.

DP gave me a hammock and stand for Christmas this year too, which is awesome for reading and snoozing in (when I can near it because of all the kids playing in it - soo cute).

#16 LisaM07

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi Ladies,

Nice to hear that everyone had a lovely Christmas original.gif

Relly - I haven't even thought about any of that stuff yet so thanks for asking the question! I'm a first time Mummy too and find the whole thing so scary I don't even want to go the classes  sad.gif I'm such a wuss but I guess I better get over that now...

Zaacaa - Sorry to hear that you're still not feeling well, I really hope that you start to feel better soon x

Nervy - your birth story does not sound fun at all you poor bugger, I hope you have a much nicer experience this time around! Less than 2 weeks now till we find out what we're carrying around in there hehehe I'm soooo jealous you are feeling kicks and everything already I'm still laying in bed at night concentrating on trying to feel something but nothing yet sad.gif happy 18 weeks tomorrow though original.gif

Kahm - WOW! Your house sounds like a very full on place to be right now! I hope you can find some time for yourself and get some rest xxx

Hope you all have a lovely day, been back at work for 2 days and already can't wait for the weekend tomorrow!

L xxx

#17 Nervy

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Lovely Lisa happy 18 weeks!! Woop Woop nearly halfway, but yes, most importantly, our big scan day is in less than 2 weeks! I think I can only feel bub kick because i know what it feels like, in my pregnancy journal i wasnt feeling DS move every day until about 23 weeks. It sucks it takes so long to feel & show etc! Have you got a bump yet? I sure do, but i reckon its 30% baby & 70% christmas cheer!! Try really ice cold water and lie down in a really quiet room! or a coffee?! Thats a bit naughty but i always have a little coffee if i want to feel bubby move around! I original.gif I too hope my labour this time is nicer, Oh, and the classes are expensive (where i live anyway) and i didnt retain ANY info for when i was in labour ! Lets think positive for smooth painless labours hehe!

Kahm that is horrid about your MS sad.gif

#18 bettinae

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hi there all....original.gif I am just a but worried I am 17+3 and not getting any kicks...just very very occasionally  movements kinda I had more movements earlier than now... Like at 11 weeks:( I have the Doppler and hear the heart beat ...original.gif  but I just hope nothing's wrong ... I know this sounds silly but I keep thinking what if he/she is diabled and can't kick... I know that's dumb but that's my silly mind...

Any ideas...??

#19 Adamira

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hey everyone!
Bettinae, this is number 3 for me and I'm almost 17 weeks. Movements are very infrequent as well, but I don't think it's early enough for concern. Try cold water, or a little caffeine if you are really worried. In a few weeks you will be wishing you couldn't feel the kicks as much lol biggrin.gif
You may just be too busy to feel them, and bubs is still quite small.
Sorry in not much help, but I'm sure everything is fine.

#20 monkeys mum

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Bettinae Its the same here for me, only difference is its number four, I'm thinking cos we are more active during the day ad not noticing the movements as much. I mean maybe once a day or second day I can feel the baby move but definately no kicks, which is a shock to me. I'm 17wks on Sunday and my kids are born long with long legs, so you would think the legs would flail around a bit.

kahm hear you on the 6yo, a friends 6yo is liek that and cries at the drop of the hat, he's constantly dobbing and seriously you would think he was the same age as my 3yo! TBH Christmas is the worse time for kids, they are so excited and over tired and running on sugar, saying that though my kids haven't forgotten their manners and wouldn't get away with constantly fighting, it might just be they are on holidays and not acting their usual selves.

Nervy was your little one in distress too? DD was my only one posterior and omg the back pain was crazy, seriously it is the worse labour pain. The ob that delivered dd said she was sunny side up, she also had mec'd before my waters broke and being posterior did not help at all. Forceps ouch I had teh ventouse so can certainly sympathise with you there, I reckon the ventouse hurt more then her head!! Hopefully this time bubs will be facing the right way so the labour pain is not as bad.

I think when it comes to drugs in labour its just like food and medicine in pregnancy, do your research and see what sits best with you. I wish I had done this before dd's birth as peth can make a baby sleepy especially when given too close to delivery. Gas is ok but my first experience of it made me feel like i was floating on the ceiling lol Second time I never gave it up at the end lol

I feel for those back at work, Christmas eve dp got called in to work christmas day. It was meant to be his second day off, but instead he'll be working seven days straight with a 12hr shift nye. and rumour tonight is everyone will be working seven days straight after that. I'm annoyed as we're not seeing dp much and i'm feeling like crap and cant sleep, last night i got to sleep at 1am and woke at 4am only getting back to sleep at 6.30am o be woken by the kids an hour later. Thats been normal for me lately sad.gif

Anyone else have a really sore stomach? Right around my belly button hurts, like really hurts and my go isn't  back till the new year

#21 Nervy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi bettinae, when I mentioned kicks I should have said taps as I don’t think mine are big enough to be kicks, and for me too, movements are very infrequent & inconsistent at this stage and I can only feel on one side of my belly, I think the placanta is on the other side, I know its anterior. I felt movement at 14 weeks too, then they disappeared, now they are starting back up again, weird, but the same as you so maybe it’s normal! Thank goodness for our dopplers I am still using mine! My friend is going to borrow it soon as she is 11 weeks, im nervous to be without it!

Monkeys Mum I definatley remember someone saying sunny side up to me too! I don’t think he was in distress, but his head was so long and swollen I thought he had brain damage when he came out, I asked the OB and he said they couldn’t tell me yet! It was awful, but the cone head went down within a few hours but he had a couple of sores on his head for a few months. What is a venthouse?? And mec’d, it that when they empty bowels during labour? Oh dear lets keep our fingers crossed for each other that this time isn’t so eventful! X

RE: Bellies, mine is sore and feels like it is stretching out heaps. It also changes shape from day to day sometimes round, sometimes rectangle hehe.

#22 bettinae

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thankyou Sweet ladies for your words...... bbighug.gif

I think that I am going with the to be busy to feel it....when I was feeling lots was when I was on bed rest.......( I miss that I am soooo tired)

So I am going to TRY and take more time to enjoy my bubba and the pregnacy....everytime I go to sit I find SOMETHING else to do..... wacko.gif

Have a great day ladies xxxxxxx bbighug.gif
bbighug.gif

#23 monkeys mum

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Nervy everytime i hear someone say posterior i still cringe even eight plus years later lol some change position during labour but seems we werent lucky in that respect. My next two were normal hoping this tine again. A ventouse is like a vacuum, ahhh cone heads, i swear thats why most newborn in hospital/jyst born photos have the baby wesring a beanie!

This morning i got woken by my little boy giving me a kiss while wearing his sisters dress lol Was very cute, pity the morning didnt continue in that way, seems the two bigger ones woke on the wrong side of their beds so their currently on their tablets chilling out, bonus is their not waking dp. Saying dp, i feel for him, he is working fourteen days straight, and the rumour has it it will be 28days straight. The money will be lovely but i was looking forward to doing something these holidays as a family.

Hope everyone has a lively day!

#24 Gel_Bel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi ladies,
Hope everyone had a great Christmas! Just popped in to wish you all a happy new year! Xx

#25 LisaM07

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hope you beautiful ladies all have a fabulous New Year!

I'm being very lame, I'm the only one in my office today so once I finish work I'm heading home for some dinner and to be honest will probably fall asleep by 9.30 hehehe

Hope you're all celebrating bigger than I am original.gif

L xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.