How did you tell your immediate family you were pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Wishing2011

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

We are going to give our parents kids story books about grandparents.. eg. I found one called Spot loves his Grandparents.. I wonder how long it will take them to get the hint original.gif

What did you do?

#2 silver-rain

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

When I was pregnant with DD, I bought a little leadlit butterfly with a "Best Grandma" charm dangling from it for my mum and a "Grandad the Greatest" mug for my dad, wrapped them and gave them both to them with a little card written from the baby. Mum got it straight away, dad didn't get it. Cue mum standing by the heater with a bewildered look on her face repeating "I'm going to be a granny!" over and over laughing2.gif

#3 follies

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Left scans in the car and my Dad decided to clean it when I was at his house the next day without asking and he snooped.

#4 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Telling mum about the impending arrival of no3 recently: "hey mum, did you give *mum's friend* that baby bouncer already?" Mum: "yeah, why, who needs it? Wait, you're not pregnant are you?!"

It's always fun thinking of ways to tell people. All I have to tell my friends is, "I won't be drinking at *event*", and they know right away happy.gif

#5 TheSmithFamily

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

DH gave his mum a " Granny Smith" apple , her surname is Smith.

When announcing our third pregnancy, we just came right out and said it ,  both my parents were thrilled after the initial question " did you plan that?!" wink.gif

Congratulations xx

#6 Kucingcantik

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

MIL hates dogs. We have always teased her and said that our two dogs were her grandchildren.

We then edited an early scan to say "Baby D due April 2012.' Then we hid it under a few pictures of our dogs. When we visited them we said we had brought some pictures of the grandchildren to show her. She went through them all complaining about the dogs "I don't want to see pictures of the dogs, come back when you can show me a human grandchild" before getting to the scan, staring at it for a moment before it clicked, and then getting very very excited!

#7 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Mum was overseas when I found out, so I rang up and said "Hi Grandma, how you going?"  She paused a moment then asked if I was pregnant.

#8 Wishing2011

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I love these stories... original.gif Were you girls nervous telling your family?
what a cool idea with the Granny Smith apple hehe.. My last name (before I was married) was Smith so I could use that idea if the shops were open tomorrow wink.gif love it!

#9 Koobie83

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

All I had to tell my mum was "Guess what?" and she knew what I was going to say already. She was so excited. She was standing outside the house and was basically crying and jumping up and down at the same time. When we told my Dad he had tears in his eyes. First grandchild for both and they are over the moon!

Edited by Koobie83, 25 December 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#10 Lorem ipsum

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

It was good Friday and I was making hot cross buns. I put them in the oven and said 'well now there is some buns in the oven and a bun in this oven too' pointing at my belly.  Mum was over the moon.

Hot cross buns were good too wink.gif

#11 Wishing2011

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Both thise stories are so lovely original.gif
So we told the parents yday. My FIL wouldn't let go of me he was so happy and was crying. My parents are more like me and were just excited but not emotional. It was funny watching one of the parents not get it while everyone else did and they were just watching him. He was like oooh a baby book? MIL was like yes and who is it from?? Then he said our names looked up and I think it cliked then original.gif

#12 Nut

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

With DS I had already told my mother and sister as they were my support. I printed out a little card with a scan photo in it and gave it to my inlaws. My first photo type thing, when I was seven weeks.

With DD we decided to announce it to the whole family on Christmas eve as I had a scan that morning showing a little heartbeat.

#13 snuffles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

We went to an Easter dinner at the ILs house (which is actually MIL and Aunt, they share a house).  SIL was there for dinner too.  We gave MIL an Easter egg with 'Grandma' written on it.  No reaction.  Called Aunt 'Great Aunt' a couple of times.  No reaction.

Some two hours later SIL is pouring everyone a wine.  DH says to me loudly "None for you".  SIL paused a moment and then screamed.  She had to explain it to MIL and Aunt!

#14 RellBell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (Wishing2011 @ 24/12/2012, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love these stories... original.gif Were you girls nervous telling your family?
what a cool idea with the Granny Smith apple hehe.. My last name (before I was married) was Smith so I could use that idea if the shops were open tomorrow wink.gif love it!

I was absolutely petrified, as it was days after announcing my engagement. So I was worried if they'd stick to those old ideals and be angry that it happened before marriage.

Just in case, I told them separately last week (so if mum was mad she'd have time to get used to the idea, and then could help me break it to dad). I simply said "mum... I'm cooking you up a little grandbaby" and she went "No! no? Really?" and I said "yes" and she broke out into the hugest smile, and didn't stop smiling all day.

When we both told dad, he thought we were playing a joke on him, and said "you think this is going to stress me out, but it's not like you're 15", then after he realised we weren't kidding, he was pretty happy.

#15 miss-petal

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

We told our immediate family over Xmas as well biggrin.gif
My MIL and FIL we did the book thing. This will be their first grandbaby, so We found two books, one called I love my grandma and one called I love my grandpa and gave them to them at breakfast. It worked really well, was so fun to see them go from confused to excited once they worked out what it meant. The books have already given us a nickname for the bean as well! Each book starts off with "my name is ollie and I love my grandma/grandpa" so everyone spent all day calling it ollie wub.gif
My family we told on Xmas eve. They already have a grandchild so the book thing was out. Instead, I insisted that we have a family photo all together. So we set the timer on the camera and about 3 seconds before it took the picture I said "oh and by the way... We're having a baby!" That photo is priceless! laughing2.gif

#16 Coops07

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

We got DS to spring the news on our Inlaws - "Guess What! Mummy has a baby in her tummy" they looked at us for confirmation and were overjoyed at the news!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.