Why do so many people....

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 LifesGood

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Just something I have observed quite frequently and often wonder about.

She has a rock on her ring finger the size of a pea, he has a $70k car, the baby is in a Bugaboo pram, but they rent a shoebox on the outskirts of town and live from pay packet to pay packet.

Why do some people do this?

#2 .Jerry.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Because different people have different priorities, different values?

#3 LynnyP

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Because that is what makes them happy?  Not everyone is a closet actuary.

#4 Freddie'sMum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Because it makes them happy ??

#5 ~buzz~

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 24/12/2012, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because different people have different priorities, different values?

agree with this. Its their choice what they decide to spend money on and maybe having a nice car/pram/ring is what's important to them at the moment

#6 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

They are probably bogans, OP.

(Couldn't resist  wink.gif)

Edited by Maybelle, 24 December 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#7 kadoodle

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Some people aren't very good at delayed gratification.  I have a relative who drives a Hummer, lives in a McMansion, always wears designer clothes but is too broke to afford food some weeks.

#8 Fr0g

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Spoiling for a Christmas Eve, bun-fight, eh....?

#9 caroldiem

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Some people like to show off and act like they have everything when the truth is they are up to their eyeballs in debt. Everyone is different and i guess if that is what makes then happy then so be it.

Personally for me if you don't have the money in the first place then you don't get to buy it.

E.G my hubbies dream is to own a BMW now he could get one on lease through his business but my opinion was when you make enough money in your business so u can pay for that car in cash upfront then you should buy it fortunately he agreed original.gif

#10 LifesGood

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Oh come on people, I'm seriously trying to get to the bottom of this! I'm interested to understand - several of my friends and relatives are like this and plenty of colleagues at work.

Sure it makes them happy, but what is behind it? Why does it make them happy?

I know the first few replies are usually gut reactions rather than thoughtful opinions, so I'll wait patiently for some deeper answers....

#11 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 24/12/2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybelle, how rude.

They're cashed-up bogans.

Lucky bastards...that is the best kind of bogan to be!

#12 Stellajoy

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Have you driven a $70k car? They really do make you friggin happy.

#13 Oma Desala

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

We rented a really tiny 'dog box' when we lived in Darwin even though we could afford a much nicer place just so that we could save more towards our house deposit. We still have nice things but always save up and pay cash and budget quite tightly so to an outsider we could look like we're living from pay to pay even though DH is on a pretty good income.

#14 babychacha

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Stellajoy @ 24/12/2012, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you driven a $70k car? They really do make you friggin happy.

Lol - no I haven't but that cracked me up.

I think I read a saying somewhere recently....

Money won't buy you happiness but I would rather cry in a ferrari.....or something similar.

OP - could be just a case of keeping up with the Joneses.

#15 LookMumNoHands

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Maybe they want to spend their money as it comes in, because the world might end tomorrow?

Oh, yeah. That was last week.  cool.gif

#16 bluecardigans

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Why do some people put every single cent into their home and leave themselves without funds for anything else?  People spend their money on what is important to them. I assume for you it is important not to live in a shoe box on the outskirts of town? Not everyone would list that as their highest priority.

#17 LynnyP

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

It isn't really deep.  Nice things are nice.  It is nicer to have a nice thing now than to purse your mouth up into a cat's bum and count your cash.  Old people are miserable anyway so why save for then?

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Oh come on people, I'm seriously trying to get to the bottom of this! I'm interested to understand - several of my friends and relatives are like this and plenty of colleagues at work.

Sure it makes them happy, but what is behind it? Why does it make them happy?

I know the first few replies are usually gut reactions rather than thoughtful opinions, so I'll wait patiently for some deeper answers....

Why would having a mortgage for a bigger house but no nice things be better?  Why is renting a problem?
I don't currently own a house.  I rent.  shrug.gif

I have, at various times in my life, lived from pay check to to pay check.  (but I've never owned a bugaboo pram)
I used my money for travel and have been criticised for doing that rather than taking out a mortgage.

It is also possible you don't know the full picture.

#19 MintyBiscuit

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Maybe they bought said ring, car and pram and then had financial problems? Not overly likely, but you never know. And it could be that they got those things cheaply, or won competitions, or were given them as gifts.

Some people care deeply about appearances, even if it's hiding a mountain of debt. It could be for all sorts of reasons. I know of people who grew up with money who are like this, and people who grew up poor who are like this. I really don't think there's any one answer.

#20 LynnyP

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm way too invested in this, obviously.  But really, many people are not "putitng on a front" they aren't trying to look better off than they are.  They aren't keeping up with anyone or trying to appear like they have no debt.  They just like the shiny.

#21 LifesGood

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 24/12/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would having a mortgage for a bigger house but no nice things be better?  Why is renting a problem?
I don't currently own a house.  I rent.  shrug.gif

I have, at various times in my life, lived from pay check to to pay check.  (but I've never owned a bugaboo pram)
I used my money for travel and have been criticised for doing that rather than taking out a mortgage.

It is also possible you don't know the full picture.

I haven't suggested it's better or worse or a problem, I just wonder what the drivers for these choices are. It's more than possible I don't know the full picture, it's a certainty, hence the questions.

I assume there is more to it than 'it's nice' and they don't want to end up with a mouth like a cats bum (though that is a compelling reason I agree).

#22 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

From what I can tell from your OP you are wondering why people have a whole bunch of material possessions in the form of jewellery, prams and cars but still don't own a home or haven't saved any money.

Well, it's a number of things.

Because breaking into the property market is really, really, really hard.  So if you are never going to actually be able to afford that dream, why not fulfil some others? Not everyone has a dream of owning a home so that part of it doesn't even come into it IMO. You have really no cause to judge where someone lives.

People might wonder about where I live. We moved into a leafy green (expensive) suburb while I was still a SAHM, DH was on a really low wage and we were living paycheck to paycheck for a loooooong time. Why were we buying in such an expensive area? Surely we had no business doing so and should have moved into a 'more affordable suburb'?

Same question - different slant.

Where they live is irrelevant, so suburb on the outskirts? Pffffft. Take that out of your question.

Renting is taken care of by the difficult to enter property market. SO there goes that part of the question.

The rest of your question relates to why they have all the material stuff and live week to week. Well think about it.

If you bought all that stuff it's WHY you live week to week. As for why people choose to buy expensive and then live week to week instead of buying cheap and saving. Well I pose this question.

Who's to say that buying cheap and saving is the 'right' way to do things? If you've decided not to aim for property then you might be spending on other stuff instead - save for what?

Some people say to themselves "I don't want to go on a holiday, I would rather buy a really expensive car, because I like them."

Or there could be a whole load of poor economical management baloney behind it all. And if we open up that can of worms you can get all judgey if you like. I prefer to accept that people live and spend as they choose. As is their right. Because there isn't one 'right' way to do things.

#23 LifesGood

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 24/12/2012, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can't afford to buy a house, why not have other nice things?  A little luxury you can afford.

Excellent point Madame Catty.

#24 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I'm with Jerry.

To my family it seems like I live month to month but in reality I don't. I look like I "waste" money on travel, expensive jewelry, handbags, shoes etc but in reality I don't live month to month I do rent but have no desire to buy I want what I want whilst I have the freedom to. I suspect once kids come into it that part of my lifestyle will be no longer. But until that time I will spend my money as I see fit even if it is much to my families chargen.

I don't get how people claim to know so much about other peoples finances. Surely it's more speculation then fact.

#25 LifesGood

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 24/12/2012, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because breaking into the property market is really, really, really hard.  So if you are never going to actually be able to afford that dream, why not fulfil some others? Not everyone has a dream of owning a home so that part of it doesn't even come into it IMO. You have really no cause to judge where someone lives.

People might wonder about where I live. We moved into a leafy green (expensive) suburb while I was still a SAHM, DH was on a really low wage and we were living paycheck to paycheck for a loooooong time. Why were we buying in such an expensive area? Surely we had no business doing so and should have moved into a 'more affordable suburb'?

Same question - different slant.

Where they live is irrelevant, so suburb on the outskirts? Pffffft. Take that out of your question.

Renting is taken care of by the difficult to enter property market. SO there goes that part of the question.

The rest of your question relates to why they have all the material stuff and live week to week. Well think about it.

If you bought all that stuff it's WHY you live week to week. As for why people choose to buy expensive and then live week to week instead of buying cheap and saving. Well I pose this question.

Who's to say that buying cheap and saving is the 'right' way to do things? If you've decided not to aim for property then you might be spending on other stuff instead - save for what?

Some people say to themselves "I don't want to go on a holiday, I would rather buy a really expensive car, because I like them."

Or there could be a whole load of poor economical management baloney behind it all. And if we open up that can of worms you can get all judgey if you like. I prefer to accept that people live and spend as they choose. As is their right. Because there isn't one 'right' way to do things.

And more good points howdo.

BTW I'm not judging at all, and I'm a great believer in there being many 'right' ways to live. I'm just naturally curious about...well, pretty much everything!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.