Got last item on shelf
but feel bad..

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 aidensmum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

I needed to get my kids Cadbury Christmas Stockings during my grocery shop.  Went to the Xmas section, was looking around for them. Hear someone ask shop assistant where they are they are closer to me than her.  Shop assistant tells the lady that they also have some other type, while I grab the last two Cadbury ones and put them in my trolley.  Lady comes over near me and ask if there are any left so I tell her no, I got the last two.

The guilt is killing me. I would normally do the nice thing, but they were the last two and with parking and the general Christmas Eve psycho-ness going to another store was not going to happen.  Had to slink round the store to finish my groceries hoping not to run into her again.

I feel so bad.....

#2 Funwith3

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Ohhhh I do think that you were mean...I might have done the same thing though. But yes, its mean.

#3 epl0822

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Obviously not so bad you gave it to her! Tsk tsk.

#4 TopsyTurvy

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

No Santa visiting you tonight OP ohmy.gif

Still it's every woman for herself Tounge1.gif

#5 gabbigirl

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well at least you didn't push her over in a stampede to get them, or rip them out of her hands.   Seriously some of the behaviours I have seen at the shops has made me cringe....yours is mild in comparison!

#6 I'm Batman

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Um no, christmas happens at the same time everyyear, she could have planned earlier. The stocking can easily be copied using just plain chocolates and everyone will be fine.

#7 #YKG

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I wouldn't feel bad TBH, beside even without hearing anything you more then likely would have gotten to them before her anyhow.

Oh well if she's that desperate she'll hunt lol

#8 Niamh23

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Oh well, it will come back to bite you when the kids are hyper on all the sugar!! wink.gif

#9 aidensmum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, I feel a little less horrible. It it just me or have the shops estimated the demand for Xmas stock too well this year. There's no wrapping paper left in two supermarkets, Kmart, myer or Target at my local shopping centre. Not a Christmas light left for sale anywhere and no decorations except for exy ones in Myer. I normally stock up on Boxing Day but there won't be any to buy.

#10 Tigerdog

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Still it's every woman for herself Tounge1.gif

That's it, why are her kids more important than yours?  She shouldn't have left it til the last minute! (hard to hide in the fridge though, I get that!).

#11 Holidayromp

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Don't feel guilty.  I tend to feel quite smug that I have managed to snaffle the last of a special.  biggrin.gif   I can bet you that she would not be feeling guilty.
Also it is first in best dressed.

Yous arz the winna.....

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Tigerdog @ 24/12/2012, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's it, why are her kids more important than yours?  She shouldn't have left it til the last minute! (hard to hide in the fridge though, I get that!).

plenty of places to hide....behind turkey.....behind ham.....behind Mt Everest of Seafood....behind liver shrivelling amount of alcohol  wwhistle.gif

Put them in the cleaning cupboard they will be safe from EVERYONE !

#13 2plusoops

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (aidensmum @ 24/12/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I feel a little less horrible. It it just me or have the shops estimated the demand for Xmas stock too well this year. There's no wrapping paper left in two supermarkets, Kmart, myer or Target at my local shopping centre. Not a Christmas light left for sale anywhere and no decorations except for exy ones in Myer. I normally stock up on Boxing Day but there won't be any to buy.

Stores are bound to sell out when they start selling Christmas stuff in September!  Personally I dont start until December, and often miss stuff I wanted.  I dont think you have anythng to feel bad about though OP, there's every chance someone else might have got them if you didn't before that lady.  And there's always other stores if she needs that particluar one or make it up herself as a PP suggested.

#14 katbalou

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

So you should feel bad, lol. I got to Big W the other day, and got told they had just sold the last 4 Johnny the Skulls to one guy about half an hour earlier.  So p-ed off.  DS wanted one so bad.  Every other toy store said "the world has run out of Johnny the Skull".  Had I been the one who got them however, I would have been rejoicing.

#15 Cath-In-SA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

At least it wasn't the last jar of Seafood Sauce at my supermarket.  Then I would have had to pound on you.

If anyone knows who did take the last jar, please let me know. mad.gif

Edited by Cath-In-SA, 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#16 Chocolate Addict

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I would wonder why both of you left it until Christmas eve to even buy the stockings??

I wouldn't feel bad at getting the last one, I have missed out by *that* much on other things so it evens up! lol

#17 notjustyet

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Cath-In-SA @ 24/12/2012, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least it wasn't the last jar of Seafood Sauce at my supermarket.  Then I would have had to pound on you.

If anyone knows who did take the last jar, please let me know. mad.gif

It wasn't me! However, seafood sauce is pretty much just mayo mixed with tomato sauce and lemon juice, so it's pretty easy to make your own original.gif

OP - don't feel bad. I'm sure the other lady would have taken them both too. You did nothing wrong - it's not like you elbow barged her out of the way, or stole them from her trolley.

#18 tibs

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm with you on the sell outs, i ran out of the wrapping paper I had purchased in September and carefully set aside wink.gif and had to waste an inordinate amount of time traipsing around multiple shops to find more.  Come on I'm sure they'd still make $$ on it if they had some left and sold it for half price after the event  rolleyes.gif

#19 Overtherainbow

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I would wonder why both of you left it until Christmas eve to even buy the stockings?

I didn't.  I tried yesterday and my local was out.  The reason I'd left it until then is that I had limited opportunity to shop without my kids seeing and it was the first chance I'd had where I wouldn't have been faced with it melting before I could get it home.

My local had run out.  I went back to do fresh produce shop today and there were several boxes full today at the same store.  Key trying to distract childen while I pick it up, trying to send them on errands so they wouldn't help put the things on conveyer, stopping them seeing it when they packed my bags in the trolley and then beating them to the bag when they helped empty the car.

It's not always easy to get things when you work full time, have older children and a husband who had to disapear for work for several weeks in the lead up to Christmas.

Don't feel bad OP.  I'd planned to just use other chocolate treats.  Now I'll just have to eat them.

#20 ubermum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

You snooze, you lose.

#21 monkeys mum

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (katbalou @ 24/12/2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you should feel bad, lol. I got to Big W the other day, and got told they had just sold the last 4 Johnny the Skulls to one guy about half an hour earlier.  So p-ed off.  DS wanted one so bad.  Every other toy store said "the world has run out of Johnny the Skull".  Had I been the one who got them however, I would have been rejoicing.

Lol I bought the last one of this game for my nephew over a month ago from our toys r us.

The supermarket I went into had sold out so I didn't even bother with stockings then I got given three this evening as my parents had extras.

Don't feel bad Op it isn't like you only bought them because she wanted them.

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yeah I would have felt bad and given them to her.
Considering she had the initative to ask where they are and the only reason you got them was because your overheard her query makes her more deserving.

Then again I don't get chocolate stockings?

Chocolates are always on special this time of year so make up your own and put in a christmas gift bag.

Job done.

#23 umop-apisdn

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 25/12/2012, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I would have felt bad and given them to her.
Considering she had the initative to ask where they are and the only reason you got them was because your overheard her query makes her more deserving.

+1

#24 Propaganda

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

It's chocolate. If this ruined Christmas for anyone, they should be thankful that their life is obviously not that troublesome.

Don't feel bad. I was madly searching for a certain Christmas food yesterday (because the one I purchased earlier had been gobbled up by naughty house guests prematurely). I couldn't have cared less if I got the last one (I didn't, there were 3 left, I only took 2).

#25 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

It was kind of mean.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

What you need to know about ovulation tests

Most people who are trying to get pregnant know that the best time to conceive is in the few days after ovulation.

Surviving a miscarriage at sea

A cruise with your family is among the most absurd settings for a miscarriage, but it is certainly not the worst.

Mum of three denied tubal ligation because she's 'too young'

A 22-year-old woman who is pregnant with her third child has had her requests for a tubal ligation denied because doctors believe she is too young.

Slapped cheek syndrome a danger for pregnant women

When a pregnant woman is infected, the likelihood that her foetus will be infected is about 50 per cent.

The signs and symptoms of ovulation

If you're hoping to conceive, one of the most important things you need to know about is ovulation.

We all know 'mum guilt' - but what about 'dad guilt'?

I remember the first time I felt mum guilt, within days of having my first child. The feeling was so intense I rang my own mum to debrief, hoping she'd tell me I wouldn't feel this way very often.

Kristen Bell urges mums to be their own superhero

When it comes to motherhood, actress Kristen Bell is her own superhero and she thinks other mums should be too.

Pram review: GB Pockit travel stroller

In a world of ever-shrinking gadgets, it's no surprise prams are getting smaller. We put the record-holding GB Pockit through its paces.

The beautiful Bombol Bouncer is back

The gorgeous Bombol Bouncer is back - and boasts two chic new colours to boot.

Gadgets and accessories for wine lovers

Looking for a gift for the wine lover in your life - or just something for yourself?

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

The adventure doesn't have to stop: here's how to travel with baby

The best part about our outdoor adventures? It makes my husband and I better parents, since we're happier while adventuring.

Woman crashes car to save mum and baby's life

A good samaritan saved a mother and baby from being seriously injured by crashing her own car into theirs.

Should you tell your boss about your postnatal depression?

Returning to work after having a baby can be daunting, and when you're experiencing postnatal depression or anxiety it can seem even more overwhelming.

TV noise can slow toddler word learning, study finds

Background noise from the radio or TV might be making it harder for your toddler to learn learn new words.

Teresa Palmer on her molar pregnancy and 'unsexy' conception

Teresa Palmer is basking in pregnancy glow as she awaits the arrival of her new baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

5 ways having a baby is different when you have older children

So much parenting advice is geared towards having your first baby, but what's it like having a baby when you already have children?

You can now make your own plush Falkor

Fans of The NeverEnding Story – of which there are certainly plenty – went crazy for these plush Falkors when they first went on sale last year.

Baby steps

10 things that will actually happen after having a baby

I thought I had prepared myself for motherhood. Then my baby girl arrived and knocked everything flat.

Having a baby: expectations vs reality

People love to warn you about what to expect when having a baby, but they can be way off when it comes to the reality.

Are we having fun yet? Thinking positively as a parent

Motherhood is wonderful ... except when it sucks.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

When breastfeeding doesn't go with the flow

Breast is best, except when it's not. And in our case, it most definitely wasn't.

'If you don't vaccinate your kids you're a bloody idiot'

The photos are heartbreaking and almost too difficult to look at, but Kayley Burke is begging other parents to take notice.

Why pregnant women should eat chocolate

In news that will make expectant mums jump for joy - and reach for a block of Cadbury - scientists have revealed chocolate could provide health benefits during pregnancy.

The baby born with an incredible head of hair

If you're in any way challenged in the follicle department, prepare to feel a jolt of envy - at a two-month-old baby.

The push for Medicare to fund lactation consultants

While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Help! My baby will only sleep in my arms

It's stressful to be the one who is holding your baby most of the day, but it's even more stressful to wonder, 'am I doing something wrong? Or am I creating bad habits?'

ENTER NOW

Essential Baby & Toddler Show - Sydney

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores, will be held in Sydney on 23-25 September. Register for your free ticket now to save $20!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.