Convertible or booster for 5 yr old?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 littlepoppet

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Okay so my 4 (almost 5) year old son needs a new seat. He turns 5 in Feb next year, is 17 kgs and approx 108 cms tall.

I'm unsure as to whether I should get a convertible booster or a dedicated booster.

Am thinking of getting a sns hiliner if we go with a dedicated booster but haven't decided for a convertible.

Anyone have any ideas on what would be best?

Edited by littlepoppet, 23 December 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#2 hiddensecrets

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

It now goes by torso height not weight, so I would take him into a few stores and see what he fits the best.

In this position I am torn as I am yet to see a convertible boosterseat that actually makes a good booster seat (although the new Maxi Rider Easy Adjust might-in saying that he would probably fit into the harness still as my 8 year old fits in the harness in this seat).

I know people say that the Infa convertible boosters are good if you are using a harness-not too sure on them as a convertible boosterseat BUT they dont cost an arm and a leg (Compared to the $450+ price tag for an easy adjust) so if you got one, then put him in a booster a few years later its not as much out of pocket as you could be.

A hiliner is a good seat if you go for the dedicated booster.

#3 littlepoppet

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for your reply, hiddensecrets.

I'm thinking that we will probably go with a convertible booster as my son is incredibly slight.

So what convertible boosters should I look at. I would like to purchase a seat tomorrow.

Am thinking maybe a Babylove Ezy Combo or a SNS Maxi Rider 2. We are then happy to purchase a dedicated booster for him in the future.

#4 tibs

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hipod Senator is another good convertible booster, it is only in Target stores.

My 5.5 year old is around the same size as your son, he is in a convertible booster with plenty of room.  He is actually still in a SNS Meridian in my husband's car.

#5 roses99

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

My (reasonably tall) 5.5 year old is still very comfortably fitting in his Maxi Rider AHR, with the inbuilt 5-point harness. When he outgrows it, I will buy him a dedicated booster rather than use the Maxi Rider in booster mode.

If your 5 year old is slight, you should still get a few years out of a convertible for him. Is there another child you can then pass it on to?

My son uses a dedicated booster (the Infa Secure) in my parent's car, and I'm comfortable with that. But , in our car, I want to keep him in a 5-point harness for as long as I can get away with it.

#6 the.supers

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Cargo Marathon from Big W is fantastic, I have it set up in booster mode and find it very easy.

Run a mile from the Infa convertibles, the back is very low and they are the biggest pain in the neck to install. If you have to use it in harnessed mode, you will cry.

#7 hiddensecrets

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (littlepoppet @ 23/12/2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your reply, hiddensecrets.

I'm thinking that we will probably go with a convertible booster as my son is incredibly slight.

So what convertible boosters should I look at. I would like to purchase a seat tomorrow.

Am thinking maybe a Babylove Ezy Combo or a SNS Maxi Rider 2. We are then happy to purchase a dedicated booster for him in the future.

This is really personal preference.  And it can also go by budget as well.  Infa's are under $200 for some of them at Kmart and BigW.  Hipod Senators are not too bad (apparently made by S-N-S as is Baby Love).  I would go try him in a few and see which one you would get the most usage out of (which one he has the most room in).

#8 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

My DS is 5yrs, he rides in a Infa Comfi Cruiser, Hipod Senator and a Meridian AHR T&A, he harnesses in all of them although he is about 8cm shorter than your son, if you would feel happier with him harnessed I would say go for an Infa or Hipod Convertable (under $200.00) and then when he outgrows the harness buy a Hiliner or a Infa Vario Max (both 4 stars although I believe the Hiliner allows for taller children), this is what we are doing as it is a safe and affordable way to harness for longer, I rang Infa and confirmed with their technical dept that the inbuilt harness can be used with the slots above the change to booster mode markers as long as the child still fits in the harness and their eyes are not above the top of the seat.

IMO the drawback with the Infa Comfi cruiser/rovette/raylle (same product different names) is that they are tricky to install, I have gotten a good install with ours but it was 2x the effort that fitting the SNS Meridian was.

The new Maxi Rider may be a good option but it has not been crash tested yet in either mode so there is no real way to check that  shrug.gif .

#9 littlepoppet

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (roses99 @ 24/12/2012, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your 5 year old is slight, you should still get a few years out of a convertible for him. Is there another child you can then pass it on to?

My son uses a dedicated booster (the Infa Secure) in my parent's car, and I'm comfortable with that. But , in our car, I want to keep him in a 5-point harness for as long as I can get away with it.

We have 2 other children who will also get use out of it. Our son uses a dedicated booster in my mil's car also. I agree that a 5-point harness best for our car too.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will look into them.

Does anyone know which of the seats listed below has the highest shoulder straps, thereby allowing my son to remain in 5-point harness for the longest amount of time:

-SNS Maxi Rider 2
-Babylove Ezy Combo
-Hipod Senator
-Cargo Marathon

Edited by littlepoppet, 23 December 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#10 the.supers

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Cargo Marathon is made by Safe n sound and it's top slots are at 50cm.  I think thats the highest of all the seats.

#11 littlepoppet

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

Thanks again hiddensecrets and thank you sparkler and the.supers.

I might just have to narrow down the shops I can easily get to tomorrow and go from there.

#12 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Just a quick mention www.crep.com.au is the website where you can see the most recent crash test results for harnessed and non harnessed boosters, just incase you didn't already know  original.gif .

#13 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (littlepoppet @ 23/12/2012, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know which of the seats listed below has the highest shoulder straps, thereby allowing my son to remain in 5-point harness for the longest amount of time:

-SNS Maxi Rider 2 - these performed very badly when they were crep tested, top slots on the MR AHR (not the new easy adjust, was 40cm when I rang up and asked
-Babylove Ezy Combo no idea
-Hipod Senator ours have 45cm top slots
-Cargo Marathon 50 cm top slots - not officially but people have been told you can use them

Edited by sparkler, 24 December 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#14 littlepoppet

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks a lot sparkler, I have been looking at the crep results and keep thinking I've made a decision and then keep finding more seats to research. I think I just need to go to bed...

ETA - Just to clarify for those in the know, are there no convertible boosters that rate higher than 3 stars for protection? I think I'm reading the crep results correctly but it is late...

If that is correct then I will probably go with the Ezy Combo.

Edited again as I just realised my mistake - was looking in wrong area and it is rated 4 stars when used with 5-point harness.

Edited by littlepoppet, 24 December 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Just note most convertible boosters are harder to use in booster mode then a dedicated booster like the HiLiner.

also note that the old height for top shoulder slots does not apply for the new 2010 standard seats where the move to booster marker line may be at a lower point.

Also note CREP tests are out of date as they have not tested any 2010 standard seats yet.

The only convertible booster I would consider is the NEW Maxi Rider T&A AHR. I would not waste my money on a Maxi Rider 2.

fWIW I put my 4.75yo in a New SNSCompaq. His 117cm brother is still below the height markers. I will be moving my him though at 5.5yrs to a dedicated booster seat as he starts school.

Edited by lsolaBella, 24 December 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#16 littlepoppet

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks again for all the responses. I purchased the Babylove Ezy Combo sight unseen (my sister picked it up for me) and it is not for us. The side wings are, in my opinion, over the top. I realise this is probably what makes it safer but I don't think it is practical for our needs. My son would not be able to see out the sides plus I rely on him to help his younger brother and sister out at times and I think the enormous wings would make this difficult.

Am going to return it and actually take him to shops when I get the chance. Thanks for everyones advice. original.gif

Edited by littlepoppet, 25 December 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#17 melaine

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

My son is the same size as your son and turned 5 a month ago.

He's got plenty of harness room in the senator and it fits well next to our other seats. I'll be happy to go to a straight booster when he outgrows the harness - if we don't find the booster easy to use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.