Countdown to Christmas bar

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

We're all on the downward slope now, surely?

But I thought (based on my own situation) a chance to chat, vent, share and survive together might be nice.  Oh, and a drink.

Anyone else?

#2 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Only 4 days from Christmas
My mother said to me
I'll embarrass your kids
It'll be really fun-ny

Only 3 days from Christmas
My DH said to me
I'll do the grocery shopping
Your mum will embarrass kids
And she'll think it's so fun-ny

Only 2 days from Christmas
My kids said to me
What needs cleaning?
He'll do the grocery shopping
She'll embarrass us
And she'll think it's so fun-ny

Only 1 day from Christmas
I'll cook the turkey
Kids have done the cleaning
DH did the shopping
Mum harrassed the children
Lucky she's not having Christmas with me

On the actual day of Christmas
What kind of day will it be?
We'll open presents
Then we'll eat the turkey
Play with our toys
And the rest of it will be hist'ry  original.gif

That was terrible.  Sorry.  Here, have a drink on me.

Edited by BadCat, 23 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#3 Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

But oh, so very very true.

But ta for the drink.

#4 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

*YOUR

Bad Badcat

#5 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Oops. I haz a shame.

And an edit button.

#6 Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

While you're editing, you misspelled embarrass in the second stanza.  And will in the last line.

I used to proofread as part of my job.  I swear it never goes away.

#7 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Stop picking on me!  cry1.gif

#8 Chchgirl

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Christmas isn't too bad for me..any excuse for a glass of wine though... biggrin.gif

#9 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

I blame the last two on my keyboard.  It gives me grief over double letters for some reason.

The first I blame on EB.  I see your/you're used incorrectly so often it's messed with my brain.

#10 Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm not picking on you, BadCat.  I'm acting as your friendly EB correct English advocacy of one.

(You know, how you're not picking on someone for doing it wrong if you're advocating something worthwhile...?   wwhistle.gif )

#11 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Oh.  Well if you acting as an advocate I guess that's OK then.   unsure.gif

#12 Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's a burden, but I do it out of love.

Right.  Time for dinner, I think.  It's so hot here, is there any way I can reasonably claim that a gin and tonic is dinner?

#13 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Needs solid content.  Could you have it on ice?

#14 Feraldadathome

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

SLice of lemon? Vitamin C and quinine must make it healthy?

Edited by dadathome, 23 December 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#15 .Jerry.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Just made rum balls.

Pffft.  2 tablespoons of rum.  That hardly leaves a flavour!  Got to put more in.

Then you have to roll the blasted mixture into balls!  And I made a double batch!  How ridiculous.  Had to have some rums while I did that.

Definitely a downward slope to Xmas for me!

#16 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Poured a wine at 2:45 in the afternoon after going to local shopping centre TWICE today!

Because I'm worth it... *flicks hair*

#17 Gudrun

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

The thread and BadCat's song have inspired a Christmassy brandy and dry. I can feel well-needed perspective kicking in.  Hope one glass will be enough to do the trick though because I could only find enough dry ginger for one glass.  Could progress to just the brandy I suppose but that would be less Christmassy and could lead to Christmas denial. A good thing, I can hear you say? We'll see what happens original.gif

#18 RogerRabbit

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Can I join in, having a glass of wine to make sure its nice for Santa tomorrow night - and its the first wine for a few months too.

#19 Gudrun

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (LeChatNinjah @ 23/12/2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poured a wine at 2:45 in the afternoon after going to local shopping centre TWICE today!

Because I'm worth it... *flicks hair*

OMG, you hero, you!  I could not do that!

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

....here pick on me instead...brought turkey home from the butcher only to ascertain that it doesn't fit in  my oven  ddoh.gif ...how much of a cliched Christmas faux pas is that?! Took it back to the butcher, and he broke the turkey's back for me ( I stress the turkey was already dead at this point...) ....I think now I can just about wedge it in the oven.....oh and the baby is constipated and is cutting a tooth...did someone mention a drink???

#21 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

*hands over wine quickly*

unsure.gif

*talk of smashing dead birds more than mildly disturbing*

#22 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

So... crippled turkey for christmas dinner then?  Nice.

#23 Feral timtam

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 23/12/2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just made rum balls.

Pffft.  2 tablespoons of rum.  That hardly leaves a flavour!  Got to put more in.

Then you have to roll the blasted mixture into balls!  And I made a double batch!  How ridiculous.  Had to have some rums while I did that.

Just for next time, use one of those silicone cake pop pans, works a treat for no mess rum balls.

No alcohol in this house until tomorrow night. DH is on call tonight and has to work tomorrow so he's got to have a zero blood alcohol. On the plus side the stars have aligned so that he can have a drink with me after the kids are in bed tomorrow night!

#24 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (BadCat @ 23/12/2012, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... crippled turkey for christmas dinner then?  Nice.

It's not ideal....am hoping once it is cooked and carved no one will know...but what an ignominious end for the poor bird.....and if thAt wasn't enough, to add further insult...I have a perfectly fine leg of ham which I am about to steep in coca cola! (nigellas recipe) ....I like to live on the edge! Merry Christmas everyone!

#25 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I can also highly recommend Jamie Oliver's Jamaican jerk ham recipe - is pretty much to die for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.