Gift for new boyfriend.
Should I and what?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I've just found out my 23 yo daughter is bringing her new boyfriend to our place on Christmas afternoon. She doesn't live near us, and he lives in a different city to her, so they usually spend their weekends in his city and we've not yet met him.
I think she's been seeing him for about 6 months, but could be longer.

Not a problem at all that he's coming on Christmas afternoon, it will be lovely to finally meet him. But this is our "present-giving" tradition and I'm not quite sure what to do about him. Present? No present? If so, what? I know nothing about him beyond his name.....and I think he's the same age as her. I don't know what he does for a living, what his interests are or even what he looks like. I do know he drinks cab sav because I just sent her a message and asked her.

My thoughts are that he can't be at our present giving ceremony without a present or two. The others all get more than one, and I doubt any of her siblings will have bought him anything to add to the pile of gifts to be handed out.

So, I think I should buy him something. But what? JB Hi Fi voucher? Bottle of cab sav? Any other ideas? Young guys are hard to buy for anyway, but one I know nothing about is near impossible.

#2 L&E

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

A bottle of cab sav and maybe an iTunes voucher? Or ask your daughter what she thinks or if she will be bringing a gift for him to open?

#3 Xiola

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Music voucher sounds fine.

#4 Funwith3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

There is every chance he won't buy you anything.... so with that in mind, I would buy something (or a few things) but don't spend a fortune on him. Don't make him feel awkward, but do make him feel welcome. A bottle of wine is a definite winner. Chocolates? A book? A small gift voucher (say, $20-25).

It's hard to buy something for him, without really knowing anything about him so I think any of the above would be suitable.

ETA: or a cinemas voucher if they live near cinemas?

Edited by Funwith3, 23 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#5 amaza

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yep, definitely a bottle of cab sav and a voucher for a generic place (JB HiFi is fine, or Westfields). You could ask her what kinds of snacks or things he likes or if he drinks coffee and just get some kind of lolly (M&Ms?) and some coffee or a coffee mug. Keep it simple and small but generic. I think it's a lovely gesture.

#6 strawberrycakes

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think a bottle of wine & a Coles/Myer or whatever voucher would be lovely.

#7 intd242

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Could do a bottle of wine & a restaurant/movie/other experience voucher for him and your daughter to use?

#8 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Oh, I don't expect him to buy anything for us, but our presents that we give out are "Santa" presents with no giver on the tag (it's a tradition my kids were loathe to end when they grew up and moved out so we kept it).
Anything that she gives us will be considered to be from him as well.

What's a good cab sav? (up to $30). I don't drink so I wouldn't have a clue. I'll pick one up after work tomorrow, and a voucher from somewhere.

#9 Mummy fab

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I prob wouldn't get wine, most guys I know drink beer not wine. Aftershave, a voucher, chocolates.

Can you ask your daughter for some hints? Does he have a car? What about one of those car cleaning kits?

If he does drink what about a voucher for the local alcohol place?

#10 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

He drinks cab sav. I knew my daughter was coming her Xmas day, but wasn't sure about her boyfriend (his parents live in the nearest town to us).
I sent her an SMS and asked if he was coming, she said yes. I asked what he drank, she said cab sav.

#11 tamjk

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

We do small boxes of chocolate, biscuits and confectionery for 'drop ins' over Christmas. I hate not having a present for everyone who shows up so I do this. They're nice generic gifts that pretty much everyone likes and they cost very little.

#12 What~Katy~Did

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

You couldn't go too far wrong with either of these Cab Savs:

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_916222...-sauvignon-2006

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_144468...ernet-sauvignon

Or this is one of my personal favourites but it is a blend:

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_917526...raz-merlot-2007

I think that a bottle of wine is a good compromise original.gif

#13 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (What~Katy~Did @ 23/12/2012, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You couldn't go too far wrong with either of these Cab Savs:

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_916222...-sauvignon-2006

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_144468...ernet-sauvignon

Or this is one of my personal favourites but it is a blend:

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_917526...raz-merlot-2007

I think that a bottle of wine is a good compromise original.gif

Thanks! That gives me a head start.

I like the movie ticket idea too, but don't think I'll have time to get to the cinema as it's a fair bit further on from work.

#14 RogerRabbit

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

You can get movie vouchers at coles or woolworths even the post office too I think.

Thank you for doing this, I have gone to Dh family one christmas when he was my DF and both of us didn't recieve a thing - we brought presents for everyone who was there, but every other present was for there 16 yr old daughter.

#15 Katie_bella

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 23/12/2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I don't expect him to buy anything for us, but our presents that we give out are "Santa" presents with no giver on the tag (it's a tradition my kids were loathe to end when they grew up and moved out so we kept it).
Anything that she gives us will be considered to be from him as well.

What's a good cab sav? (up to $30). I don't drink so I wouldn't have a clue. I'll pick one up after work tomorrow, and a voucher from somewhere.

Anything from Coonawarra is good biggrin.gif

#16 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (RogerRabbit @ 23/12/2012, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get movie vouchers at coles or woolworths even the post office too I think.

Thank you for doing this, I have gone to Dh family one christmas when he was my DF and both of us didn't recieve a thing - we brought presents for everyone who was there, but every other present was for there 16 yr old daughter.

Wow, that's terrible. But I also have a precedent for this......years ago when my girls were little (9 and 5 or thereabouts), they went with their older brothers to my ex's parents place for Christmas night. All of their aunts, uncles and cousins from my ex's side were there, and the grandparents made a big deal out of the presents. Except there weren't any for my kids, so they had to sit there and watch every other child open numerous presents and not receive one themselves. They had been given a small gift each from their grandparents the day before but none of the aunts or uncles thought to get them something for the gift giving ceremony.
I was told later it was because my ex never buys anything for their kids so they don't feel a need to buy for his.

My sons were furious, absolutely disgusted. They said "Mum, we didn't care that we didn't get anything but you should have seen the girls faces when there was nothing for them and all these fantastic things for the other kids".

Kind of missing the Christmas spirit a bit, isn't it?

#17 MrsShine

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Agreè with movie voucher thing or an experience he can do with your daughter... You can get movie money at Big W, Coles etc. or even try online? Think you can print something out to go in a card?

Plus the wine, you know he drinks it so you're safe there.

Just in case he is awkward about receiving things, or then feels bad assuming he got you nothing I reckon the voucher for both if them is the exact right compromise to make him feel included but not overwhelmed.

I think a movie voucher is also a nice thing, and doesn't feel so generic - to me a JB hi Fi or iTunes one feels very "I had no idea what to get you and this is all I could come up with" whereas the latter feels thoughtful original.gif

#18 Anne of The Island

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

You can buy movie vouchers on-line and print off the voucher or send it via an e-card.  Well, I have seen Hoyst advertise this so I assume Village would do it too.

It's a lovely idea, OP - good on you.

Your poor daughters, that must have been horrible!

#19 mad madam mim

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

We had this problem with BILs boyfriend, I didn't feel right not getting him something but have only met him a handful of times so have no idea of his likes or dislikes, I even tried asking BIL and he was no help lol, in the end we decided on chocolate (when I can't think of anything I always go for chocolate) and some fancy pen, though I am kicking myself now that I didn't even think of getting him some nice aftershave (though at least now I have an idea for his birthday).

#20 mumto4boys

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Wine
Movie tickets
Chocolates

All things that your daughter can benefit from too :-)

#21 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have a feeling he's in the navy or something.....my daughter didn't tell me, but I have a feeling my son might have mentioned it last time I visited him. So he might live on base and wouldn't need much home stuff.

I'm liking the wine and movie tickets.....we bought other daughters boyfriend a JB Hi Fi voucher for his first Xmas with us, which I'd forgotten about until just now, so I don't want it to seem like "Welcome to the family, the traditional Xmas gift for guys we don't know is a JB Hi Fi Voucher, Merry Xmas!"

Some of the other suggestions have been filed for future reference....there are always young guys to buy for and they are aways the most difficult!

#22 LambChop

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I don't think you need to do wine and voucher, given you've never met.  One or the other IMO.

Personally, I think just a bottle of wine is best... low key etc.

#23 brangisnotaword

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wine or movie tickets sound good.

The question here is, what will he bring?  He may well be agonising over the same thing.

#24 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 23/12/2012, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wine or movie tickets sound good.

The question here is, what will he bring?  He may well be agonising over the same thing.

Hopefully nothing. They aren't eating here and even if they decide to stay for a meal, we have plenty of food. I'd expect he'll follow my daughters lead, she generally shows up empty handed, which I don't mind a bit. Britts previous boyfriends weren't the type to agonise over anything so I doubt this one will either.
Actually last time she showed up with her pet rabbit, so not completely empty handed. She's got a cat now as well, I hope she doesn't bring it, I doubt it would be used to five dogs. That might make for a fun Christmas afternoon, not for the cat though.

#25 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Oh she does bring presents though. I expect whatever she's got for us will be from both of them.

We have a bit of a running joke about her gift wrapping skills. She used to work in a deli and wrapped everything like it was sliced ham. She tells me she's uncovered a new talent this year. Proper gift wrapping. Personally I think she's had them professionally done.

Edited by FiveAus, 23 December 2012 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.