wdyt Xmas lunch costs...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Just-one-more

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

How much do you spend on Xmas lunch?
I just spoke to someone who is going halves in Xmas lunch with their family member and the family member offered $50 as her half. This is the days food for 4 adults and  6 kids (two are babies/toddlers)

I can't imagine feeding that many on $100... would you be spending more or would that be adequate for your days festivities?

#2 beakie

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

We've spent over $300 for 8 adults and 6 kids. All the good stuff, no seafood though. $50 is not going to go far.

eTA we spent $50 on a ham! Obviously there will be plenty of left overs for Boxing Day.

Edited by beakie, 23 December 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#3 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Well we are having 3 adults and 4 children (between 11 and 3yrs) and so far the platters alone that I have ordered are $85, so add in the desserts, the nibblies and the drinks and we will be well over $100. There should be (hopefully) left-overs for Boxing Day though.

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 23 December 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

It depends what you have, but I doubt you could feed that many for $100 unless you we just having a very basic lunch, no turkey, ham, seafood etc.

Last time I did Christmas at my place, we catered for about 25 people, it cost us $450 for the meat/seafood alone. I didn't add up the full cost because I thought I would probably keel over.

Edited by Jemstar, 23 December 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#5 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

We were assigned to bring a cheese platter and chickens to our family of 35's Christmas lunch. I must admit we Are getting off pretty lightly! Total cost for us would be about $55 for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. We hosted a Christmas BBQ for a group of about 12 friends and that cost us about $300 and that was even with everyone bringing sides or desserts so I would definitely be offering more than $50 if I was going halves in Christmas lunch.

#6 akkiandmalli

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I am going thirds unthe seafood alone and that is$50 for 15 people. I consider that getting off lightly as my sister is organising . Bringing a fancy bottle if champers and dessert as well.. In total our lunch will be three courses seafood turkey ham pudding lasagna Italian treats a big wog feast total cost would easily be 100 per person but we all bring something to keep costs down..

#7 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

We are going to Sizzler this year, for something different.

It is $85 for adults and $27 for kids over 5.
We'll be eating all the traditional Christmas foods.

$85 does seem a lot for Sizzler, but we're making a day of it.

#8 FiveAus

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Last year I spent over $400 on lunch, that was 3 courses for 6 adults and 2 kids. We had so much left over we were eating it for days.
This year we are going out to lunch and it's costing me considerably less.

#9 ani1

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Our is costing $240 but that's for 12 adults and 8 kids

#10 whatnamenow

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

we are going  out to a restaurant. $65 for adults, $25 for kids.  Thats for a buffet that includes basic seafood ( prawns etc)

#11 Poss and Soss

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I just did the XMAS shop. It was around $200 (although there were a few normal household things in there too). Add in the booze and there's another $100. That's for 3 adults and 3 kids 5 and under.

#12 Canberra Chick

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

duck was $10, antipasti was $30, the fruit and veg about $25 for the day and I have the ingredients for salad dressings, croissants and the milk pudding already in the house.

So the whole day (minus booze) for 2 adults and 2 children = well under $100. I have a ham, but that's for Boxing Day dinner.

#13 newphase

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

3 adults and 3 kids here, I have given Mum $170 thus far (I probably have the better end of the deal too)...she does all the shopping for the food etc, but I also buy the prawns Xmas eve too, so $30-$40 for cocktails for 3 as the others don't eat them. We go all out though as we love a great xmas feast and it lasts a few days lol.

$50 offering if going halves unsure.gif  ...should add another $100 I think!!

#14 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Our turkey and ham alone were $100! Ours will probably cost close to $300 including all food and drinks, but that is just for 4 adults and 3 children.

#15 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

P.S. I think $50 is a nice gesture and a way of contributing but I don't think offering $50 and saying you will pay half is fair. Better to just say I can contribute $50 to Christmas lunch I think.

#16 Funwith3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

$50... that's what our turkey alone cost! Are they having toasted sandwiches for lunch? If not, $50 is tight.

#17 LynnyP

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I am catering for three adults and one child.  I pick up the turkey and ham tomorrow.  My deposit was $50.  The bottle of wine we are drinking with the turkey cost over $70.

#18 Just-one-more

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Zion Dreamer @ 23/12/2012, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. I think $50 is a nice gesture and a way of contributing but I don't think offering $50 and saying you will pay half is fair. Better to just say I can contribute $50 to Christmas lunch I think.

Yeah I think that is the key here.
Maybe more of a communication issue. The person was just shocked I think that their family member believed that $100 in total would do EVERYTHING
It was good for a giggle. Just thought I'd see if everyone else is also expecting to spend a bit more or if me and my friend are the ones out of touch with food prices.

Our raspberries cost $20 and the ham $65 granted we will have left overs to eat all week ...

#19 Escapin

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

We have 30ish people. I've just bought entree stuff ex seafood and it was more than $100. All up, I reckon it will be thousands. Everyone does some so it sort of evens out. Like a pp said, you wouldn't want to go adding it all up...

#20 Futhermore

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

When I do it just for our little family it comes in at about $50 a head I'd guess.  But we get whatever we really like - prawns, oysters, ham, chicken, antipasti, salads, fruits, deserts, bubbly, spirits, non-alcoholic wine.  Mmmm...Christmas....

#21 secret~sammy

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

To play the devils advocate:

While doubtut $50 would be half the upfront cost - how much ends up as leftovers?  I don't have any problems with paying for what I eat on the day, but I can't afford to subsidise most of your meals for the rest of the week.

#22 buttercup-bob

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Im upto about $250 for 5A 2C excl alcohol.  My mum will probably give me about $100 for her & her partners share so im not too worried. We will be eating for a week with all the meat we have.
Just cant help myself at Christmas time, I was raised having big Christmas lunches and have some issues trying to make it less. We are having prawns, ham, chicken and pork + roast vege and the sauces.  

cant wait original.gif

#23 Just-one-more

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (secret~sammy @ 23/12/2012, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To play the devils advocate:

While doubtut $50 would be half the upfront cost - how much ends up as leftovers?  I don't have any problems with paying for what I eat on the day, but I can't afford to subsidise most of your meals for the rest of the week.

The person paying $50 is the house where it's being held. My friend lives a few hours away but is staying with her family member and is doing the cooking.
So really the family member will be left with any leftovers after the friend goes home the next day.

Edited by Just-one-more, 23 December 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#24 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

We don't go nuts with Christmas food. It just not worth it with little kids, end up with so much wasted. So it's costing us less than $100 for Christmas lunch for 2 adults and 3 children. We eat yummy food- just don't cost the earth.

However seafood is not on the menu so that helps with the cost. We don't think of it as something you would eat at Christmas.

#25 Holidayromp

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

nope for that many people they need to chip in at least $100.00 and even then that is cheap.  Just for our family of five the food for the entire day is costing us about $500.00 once everything has been added up.  Yes there will be heaps of leftovers but that was the plan.

Paying only $50.00 for that amount of people is taking the p*ss.  It should be $50.00 per head plus $25.00 for kids over 5 this includes lunch and all the trimmings plus nibbles.

Also if you are paying for a share in lunch then you get a share of leftovers.

Doing things this way can cause problems too.  Because things may cost alot more than planned and the host family gets stuck with the costs like what happened to us.  Then in the instance of DH's cousin they way overcharged and ended up with a fridge full of goodies they would never have been able to buy and never offered to divvy out and a meagre amount of leftovers were handed out - so they benefitted at the expense of everyone else.

The fairest thing is to section the food out and each family brings x food that way they can control the expense themselves and the host is not left with the lion share of leftovers and goodies at the expense of everyone else.  Plus the host only has to do what they have been allocated so no cooking for scores of people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.