Cat doesn't like DS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole-Bris

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

We have had our cat Coby for about 3 years and for quite a while he hasn't liked DS.  DS is nearly 12 and is a really nice kid (in other words not kicking or hurting him etc). Occassionally Coby will attack DS if he is walking past or if DS gives him a pat, after a few pats Coby will bite him.  Coby doesn't do this to other family members although sometimes he will give them a little warning bite if he is being annoyed.  DS just stays away from the cat now and is a little scared of him but I encouraged him to give Coby a pat yesterday which ended in tears, I felt terrible.  Is there anything that I can do?

#2 lamarque

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Can your DS perhaps feed the cat?  Something nice too, not just your average can - raw meat or special treats?

My DH grew up with a cat that didn't like him.  He use to think DH's legs were walking slabs of meat and would wait in the dark to attack him when he came home at night.  He was quite vicious too.  MIL ended up at the doctors on numerous occasions.  

It wasn't until we got our current cat (a British Shorthair) that DH felt confident in his cat wrangling abilities.

Edited by lamarque, 23 December 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#3 emski72

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

There was a show on foxtel called 'my cat from hell' or something similar. The guy was like Ceasar Milan for cats - he always got the person who the cat has issues with to play with the cat with one of those long poles with feathers etc on them - and to spend a good 30 mins playing with the cat every day so the cat associates the person with good times... it worked on the show and might be worth a shot? He also suggested the person feed the cat too (more good associations)  I'd also say wait til the cat approaches your son for a pat... maybe after them playing a bit this will happen. Cats are fickle things!

#4 Froger

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like he is trying to dominate your son. I had to suffer a cat like this when I was a child. It is not pleasant.

But unlike dogs, where dominant behaviour is more easily discouraged (and I could offer you heaps of suggestions for dogs!) I really have no idea what to do about changing a cat that behaves in a dominant manner towards humans. Cat behaviour is so much harder to control than dog behaviour! But luckily a dominant cat (generally speaking) is unlikely to do as much damage to a child as a dominant dog.

Although perhaps a Feliway diffuser may help? I haven't used it myself though, so it is only a suggestion. I have no idea really, apart from suggesting the Feliway, and also keeping your son away from the cat!

#5 *Spikey*

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

The obvious thing to do is to stop forcing the interaction, as clearly your son and the cat are both getting upset by this. And don't push a cat to the point of being annoyed. Its not 'dominant' behaviour, its communication - using the normal methods cats have for letting each other know what is appropriate and what is not. So, everyone should learn the 'signals', that let you know the cat has had enough attention.

There is no doubt a 'reason' for your cat's behaviour, and it need not be your son's fault. For example, a past owner with a young boy of a similar age, who wasn't so kind and gentle to the cat - and the cat 'learns' that all boys are bad.

What to do about it? Well, apart from stopping forcing the issue, you need to teach the cat that DS is okay.

First up, DS should be in charge of feeding, so that Corby sees your DS as being associated with food (good stuff). DS should also be given a supply of cat treats, which he should dole out at a particular time each day. So, for example, at 5:00pm, he drops a cat treat in front of Corby. Eventually, Corby will begin to look forward to these moments, and will begin seeking out your DS.

The next phase is giving Corby a treat for good interactions. That means either praise, or a treat, when he doesn't attempt to swipe your DS. After a while, there ought to be some behaviours that are 'good interactions', such as showing DS attention (like asking for food or treats). These should be rewarded.

The other thing that you should be doing is time-out for the cat when it jumps out at people. This is actually a form of cat play - seriously. Cats do this to each other all the time. Your DS isn't as 'disliked' as he thinks. Unfortunately cat play can really hurt. So, on the 'unprovoked' incidences, pop Corby away in the laundry or somewhere similar for about 5 minutes. Then let him out and resume situation normal. What happens is that cats learn to control 'the cranky', and also learn to modify their play so it isn't quite so painful.

At this point, I'd be giving a chase toy a bit of a wide berth as I wouldn't want to encourage the kitty at this kind of play (the time-out is designed to reduce it). Once you have some positive interactions, and less frequent pouncing, its time to get out feathers on a string and other toys that are non-contact.

One thing your DS could try is flicking ponytail holders across a smooth surface for your cat to chase. Much better the cat chases them, than your DS's feet (and I speak from painful experience). If Corby really gets into this, he may start bringing the ponytail holder to your DS to initiate play.

Good luck - and its also worth a word with the vet. Just in case there is a physical issue and patting etc might be causing pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.