VBAC
What questions should I be asking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 living_bravely

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone! :-). I am 7.5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child,  my DD was born by CS as she was breech with one leg tucked underneath and one leg up around her head. Lol.  I have my heart set on VBAC this time and at my 6 week post birth appointment with DD, My Ob actually recommended a VBAC for #2 as I went in to labor spontaneously with DD and she thinks it's the best option.
Now the time has finally come and I really want to make sure she is not only very supportive ( as she appears to be) but that she isn't going to put a whole bunch of unnecessary restrictions on me.  I have my first appointment in Friday and will be discussing my VBAC with her at this appointment.  I would love some suggestions of questions I need to ask.  
TIA!

#2 Tilly007

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I am also pregnant with my second and am hoping for a VBAC.

My OB actually told me that women who have had a previous CS due to breech have the best chances of succeeding with a VBAC.

At my appointment, I asked:

- how overdue will my OB let me go before CS?  Mine is happy for me to go to 42 weeks but some aren't.
- will they insist on CS after labouring for X number of hours?  Lots of OBs will place a time limit on how long they will allow a VBAC to labour.
- do they or the hospital insist on continous monitoring?  Many do for VBACs.  I am currently negotiating this original.gif
- are they ok with you having a doula?  Studies have shown this increases your chances of succeeding.
- will they induce labour?  Most won't due to risk of uterine rupture.

Best of luck!

#3 Unatheowl

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Tilly007 @ 26/12/2012, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am also pregnant with my second and am hoping for a VBAC.

My OB actually told me that women who have had a previous CS due to breech have the best chances of succeeding with a VBAC.

Do you know why this is?  This was my scenario.

As for questions, I don't think I asked any in particular tbh.  I just worked through the plan with my ob and let him guide me so I'm not much good in that respect.

#4 Tilly007

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I queried this because I would have thought that a woman who had previously labouured would have a better chance than a woman who hadn't.

He said it's because the reason for the CS (breech) doesn't exist for this labour (assumning, of course, that the baby is not breech).

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Tilly007 @ 26/12/2012, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I queried this because I would have thought that a woman who had previously labouured would have a better chance than a woman who hadn't.

He said it's because the reason for the CS (breech) doesn't exist for this labour (assumning, of course, that the baby is not breech).

Ok that makes sense.  I tried it push ds out for ages but he just wasn't moving but technically I did labour.  Dd came out fine not breech.

#6 suzel

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

My first son was a breech baby, so was a caesar. My second son was a VBAC. He was born on his due date after a 8 hour drug-free labour.

I was not allowed to be induced or have my labour augmented in any way; basically I had to go into labour naturally and progress on my own. I was supposed to have a canula inserted when I got to the birth centre, but that part never happened as I was progressing so quickly.

It was explained to me that you are statistically most likely to have a successful VBAC if your first was caesar due to breech because the reason for the caesar is not present in the second case, and also that lots of women who have had a caesar due to breech are really determined to have a VBAC and often that bloody-mindedness is what gets you through!

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck on your quest for that VBAC!

#7 nicknick

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I had a VBAC for my 2nd and didn't have a breech baby for my 1st - so it can be done  biggrin.gif Like PP's my Ob also wouldn't induce but happy to give labour a go if I did naturally go into labour which is what happened with my DD. We had agreed on  a date for a repeat c/s which was flexible until late into my 3rd trimester - I think that is my biggest advice while it's nice to have plans don't feel limited by them, I think so much can happen in pregnancy an open mind to making sure you deliver a healthy baby is the way to go. I also agreed that the labour would be monitored and if it wasn't progressing quickly a c/s done, again this suited me due to my issues with my 1st delivery.

My best advice -  great to have a plan but be realistic also that things may change along the way, if you can VBAC that's great but it's not the be all in my view, just focus on making sure you have a happy healthy baby.

Goodluck.

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

You can talk about it all you want, but the biggest restriction is going into labour naturally as it is very very rare that they will induce you.
I desperately wanted a VBAC for #2 but it never happened...so my advice is keep your mind open that anything may happen.
The fact you went into labour is a great sign though.

#9 imamumto3

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I had a caesar with my first because ds was breech.  I went into spontaneous labour.  

with my second, there was no question that I wouldn't have a vbac.  I never really brought it up with my ob and he just assumed that a vbac was what was going to happen.  I had a quick vbac.

with my third it was always going to be a vbac.  getting closer to my due date we had a few issues that raised some questions.  I was gbs positive and having had such a fast labour for #2 my ob was concerned that I wouldn't make it to the hospital to deliver and I wouldn't get the antibiotics for the gbs.  I ended up being induced at 39 weeks (my longest pregnancy).  first had membranes ruptured, then the drip.  I then had another fast vbac.

#10 living_bravely

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks so much for your replies everyone!  I will ask about the induction thing, but to be honest, I'm really ok with that as I'm hoping to go as natural as possible if I can.  I guess it will all come down to if she is going to put time limits on labor.  We are considering hiring a doula as well, and I know about the continuous monitoring which I will negotiate if bub and I are both doing fine, but I also think that my hospital has a portable/ waterproof monitor, but that will depend if it's available on the day I guess.

Anyway i'll keep you posted on how I go tomorrow. :-)

#11 living_bravely

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Sorry it took me a while to update this!  So everything went very well!  Before I even mentioned it, my Ob said to me that as my daughter was breech and I went in to labor spontaneously last pregnancy, that she would recommend a vaginal birth this time and would I be ok with that?  Of course I said yes.  She was very open to all of the things I brought up.  She said she would not enforce continuous monitoring if everything was looking ok with bub and me, that she believed that it was unrealistic to expect a mother to labor on a bed and that even if she thought it was necessary she would make sure I got a portable and waterproof monitor so I wasn't strapped to a bed.  She did say she didn't want to induce labor or augment labor, but she would assess the situation again if that problem arose.  The one thing I forgot to ask was how long she will let me go over my Due date if at all!  I will ask that next time.  She was so supportive and said that a vaginal birth would be the safest way to birth this baby if everything went smoothly.  

So far so good I'm thinking!

#12 imamumto3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

great news,  im glad your ob is open to a vbac

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Five-year-old shoots nine-month-old brother dead

A nine-month-old baby boy died on Monday after he was shot in the head by his five-year-old brother in their grandfather's home.

'Is that baby yours?'

She is my daughter. I gave birth to her. I nurse her. But she doesn't have any of my genes.

Episiotomy in childbirth: not just 'a little snip'

Episiotomies have a place in maternity care – and can occasionally save lives – but should not be performed routinely.

Toddler aggression not caused by language delays after all: study

The logic was that children who don’t have the language to fully express themselves will lash out when they’re misunderstood. Not anymore.

Why we chose to adopt a child with Down sydrome

Everyone in foster care (and really in life) has something that makes them more vulnerable. We just know what our son's is.

Object of desire

Curvy mums make clever babies

Scientists appear to have discovered why women have evolved to have more curves than men – shapely thighs and bottoms lead to healthier babies.

'We'll make sure they know how much she loved them'

A first-time mum will never get to hold her four newborns, dying shortly after giving birth to the quadruplets.

The baby names NZ knocked back in 2014

A New Zealander has tried to name their baby Senior Constable but didn't get away with it - and numbering children is also a no-no.

How can you go into labour without knowing you're pregnant?

For most of us, the idea that a woman could carry a child to full-term without knowing she is pregnant is mind-boggling.

Will you get to the hospital in time?

Worrying your baby will be delivered by the roadside is a common concern for many mothers-to-be. So how likely are you to be caught short?

Video: Funny 'Lips Are Moving' parody just for mums

Meghan Trainor's song 'Lips Are Moving' was already a hit, but now it's been turned into a hilarious parody that is set to be very popular with frustrated mums everywhere.

Out with the clutter

Decluttering by the numbers: take the 30-day challenge

Forget the 5:2 diet - Twitter's 30-day declutter challenge will have your house back in shape in no time (well, a month).

Parents, don't be too hard on yourselves

We need to stop damning parents of today, and embrace their appetite for knowledge instead.

Is my baby normal?

There are chubby Buddha babies and there are thin, smaller babies. Neither are right or wrong, they are all 'normal'.

When an older sibling starts school

When one child goes to ‘big school’ and leaves the other behind, it can cause deep upset. Here's how to make the transition easier.

Stray cat saves abandoned baby

They say dogs are man's best friend, but one cat has proven felines can be just as devoted to their human companions.

How strangers are helping a mum's wish come true after her death

A mum of five, Liz Marquez wanted to breastfeed her premmie son for a year. So when she passed away suddenly, her friends - and strangers - stepped in to help.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win with The Boxtrolls

To celebrate the release of The Boxtrolls on 3D Blu-ray, DVD & Digital with UltraViolet, we're giving you the chance to win a Boxtroll stationary package and DVD.

School Term 1

Get after-school care sorted

Wait lists too long at OSHC? Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.