Unsettled period
What worked for you?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Toothfairy01

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I know there are many threads on settling but specifically, what has worked for those of you who had/have a baby who would settle reasonably easily with picking up or rocking but would refuse to be put down??

We have a 5 wk old and for the past 3 weeks, usually around 9pm till 2am, will cry and fuss unless she is picked up, not only cuddled, but needs to be rocked, bounced and jiggled. She will settle within seconds to minutes, seem to start falling asleep, we'll gently lower her to the cradle, she might stay there for maximum 10min and then start crying again. She's fed, clean, dry, etc.

This seems to only happen during this time of day (our arsenic hour, I guess).

Do any of you have any techniques which have worked?

We understand the peak crying etc and I've been reading the purple crying website, so we are willing to ride it out but any tips in the meantime would be great.

TIA

#2 SilverSky

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Unfortunately nothing worked for us, we just had to ride it out until about 12 weeks when DD started to settle into a 7.30pm bedtime and sleep at least 3 hours.

There is not going to be a next time for us, but IF there was going to be, I would get one of those co-sleeper things (which you put in your bed) and have my hand on the baby and when they woke, just roll them back and forth gently. I am not a fan of co-sleeping but I think sometimes this is the only option that works.

#3 bubzillaiscoming

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

I actually had a sleep nanny come to our house (highly recommended if you're in Melbourne). We had the most success with putting DD on her side (I know it is against SIDS but we had all cotton sheets, good firm bedding etc) tucking a sheet very firmly over her so that her arms were contained, (although your bub is probs still swaddled) and then very firmly patting her bottom with the other hand firmly holding her shoulder.

If she got upset then I was told to sing very loudly (twinkle twinkle is my fave) all the while holding and patting and to gradually drop the singing to shhhh, shhhh and slowly soften patting and the shoulder hold but to keep the shushing until I was out of the room. One horrible night I counted over 300 pats!!!

Good luck - it does get easier ...eventually!! original.gif

#4 bubzillaiscoming

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I should add that if DD settled well I would slide her onto her back ... for the SIDS thing

#5 lucky 2

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi Toothfairy01, you might also find some tips in the pinned settling thread in this forum.
It's probably a situation of riding it out though, the behaviour of your baby sounds very typical.
I hope you find something that helps.
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=957742

#6 agdp07

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

We have a 4 week old that doesn't like being put down so I have tried a few different things which have all worked sometimes and failed sometimes.
When I put her down I keep my hand under her head for a few minutes. (Might not help if your getting 10 minutes straight up)
While in hospital the midwives had a little battery operated white noise machine. They put it in the cot and it played the sound of breaking waves.
Instead of buying one I downloaded a few Apps on my ipad that do this and I place it in her cot with a timer set. (Ipad is on flight mode so no wireless signals near my baby.)
Surprisingly this gives us the most success.
We also use the zipper swaddles that put her hands up next to her ears as she escapes from being swaddled with a blanket.
They are nowhere near as firm holding as a midwife swaddling with a blanket but seems to help with her hands up. Also not as hot which works well in QLD when its 28 degrees all night this time of year.

#7 Charli73

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

My DS was like this.. I used the fit ball for hours to settle him sometimes and he used to always wake up too once he went down.  I had some success with baby 2 by warming the bassinet with a heat bag so she felt warm like she was still being held and playing 'music for dreaming' or white noise apps on my iPhone...
Warming the cot/bassinet worked a treat for us though...

Hope this helps a little..

#8 Toothfairy01

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Thank you so much for your replies.

We've tried a lot of what has been suggested, except a heart beat machine. She seems oblivious to white noise. We always swaddle for sleep and I think the Love to Dream swaddle has made a slight different in that it's less faffing to get her into it so if she's lightly asleep, then she's more likely to stay asleep.

Plus, as she matures, things that used to work, don't anymore.

We drove home late from an Xmas celebration tonight and we thought the car had done the trick but she stirred and started crying when taken out of the car seat. I guess this is when a capsule would come in handy but I don't like the thought of leaving her to sleep in it for longer than necessary.

Most of the time, it seems like we just have to ride it out until between 1am and 3am, it's like she's just not ready to go down until then. I just wish she would prefer to sleep a little earlier as  once she's down, she'll wake for feeds but pretty much go back to sleep without too much fuss. We then need to catch up on sleep in the morning, which is fine, unless we have somewhere to be or having visitors and then we lose a sleep between feeds.

#9 nen-c

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

My first was like this for probably 2-3 months after birth - I think it is pretty common. I gave up putting him in the cot for a while, and would get him to sleep while moving about, wait for a while and then was able to sit on the couch and rest while holding him until he either woke up for another feed, or I felt like I could put him to bed. Sometimes if I lay on my side in bed and let him feed/comfort suck until he was sleeping then I could get up and leave him there. Also I would always wrap for the witching hour - seems to help keep feeling a bit more calm and secure.

She will get there OP - just keep riding it out for a bit longer.

#10 Toothfairy01

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (nen-c @ 26/12/2012, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first was like this for probably 2-3 months after birth - I think it is pretty common. I gave up putting him in the cot for a while, and would get him to sleep while moving about, wait for a while and then was able to sit on the couch and rest while holding him until he either woke up for another feed, or I felt like I could put him to bed. Sometimes if I lay on my side in bed and let him feed/comfort suck until he was sleeping then I could get up and leave him there. Also I would always wrap for the witching hour - seems to help keep feeling a bit more calm and secure.

She will get there OP - just keep riding it out for a bit longer.

Thanks nen-c! Did you do anything to "train" your bub? So many people are criticising us for spoiling her but we just cant put her down until she's ready or she screams the house down and then vomits.

She self-settles when she chooses, but never at that time.

#11 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Don't listen to people telling you you're spoiling a 5 week old! That's such an outdated view. I ignored imPlied comments about how much time DD spent in a baby carrier. Guess what? She's 21 months and she doesn't use it anymore. We did have to do some traIning but we did it at the age appropriate time and in the age appropriate way. Hang in there. The first few weeks /months are hard.

#12 Feefifofum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Is she showing signs of reflux at all? (Google it, lots of info). The reason I ask is because reflux bubs often have trouble lying flat, as that's when the acidic refluxing starts, causing pain. My bub, who does have reflux, would settle when held because it was more vertical, but couldn't sleep lying down. We has a similar witching hour (four hours, actually), which would last until the wee hours, when she was so exhausted she just had to sleep. Apart from medication, some tricks that worked for me, that might help your baby (even if she isn't refluxing) were:

- Wearing her in a hug-a-bub during some sleep times, so she at least got some decent rest, and could then settle better. You might be able to manage this for a few hours before you also need to go to bed.

- Laying down with her nestled in the crook of my arm (which worked because it's not quite horizontal), rocking her if she stirred, then after she was sound asleep, lowering her on to the bed and letting her sleep there. This was safe for my bub because she didn't roll around. I'd fence her in with pillows.

- Tilting up one end of the bassinet/cot mattress so she wasn't completely flat helped a bit.

- Many a night I'd just stay in the bedroom and hold her on me while I sat in bed, or co-slept, and could re-settle her easily. An eReader, iPhone, and a water bottle kept me sane! I tried to view it as enforced time out for me :-)

I hope things get better for you, as it is really hard. It really is true what they say: "This too shall pass"

#13 nen-c

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Toothfairy01 @ 27/12/2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks nen-c! Did you do anything to "train" your bub? So many people are criticising us for spoiling her but we just cant put her down until she's ready or she screams the house down and then vomits.

She self-settles when she chooses, but never at that time.

Sorry OP - I forgot to check back in!!  I didn't do anything to "train" him until much later - like 8 or 10 months, with fairly limited success. He also got totally hysterical when we left the room or he was left to cry and took so long to calm down it was never worth it. I found it much less stressful to accept that he needed cuddles or a breast feed to settle and just go work on reducing the time it took to get him to sleep.
Good luck

Edited by nen-c, 30 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#14 FiFiLicious

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

OP! My baby is 7 months and remarkably my memory is fading already!!

I had DS in a portable bassinet for months. (pram bassinet to be perfectly honest!) so I could lift and wiggle and pat etc all whilst watching my fav friends episode.  I slept on the couch for 3 months to do this, it was just easier to accept that I wasn't " going to bed"  just resting my eyes...

If its not too late I recommend hiring a capsule, just gives you a bit more time to rest if you don't have to transfer. I didn't have one with my # 1 and swore I would with # 2 - 5 yrs later, I did and it was ( is) a godsend. At most, he was/is in there for 3 hrs once every couple of days. You learn when it's "safe" to do the transfer which you can do cot side rather than go from car to parent to bedroom ( and various stimulating moments on the way)

Sling always worked! Always. I never needed to use it at night but I did " cosleep" in the most dangerous way ( on the couch) in desperate moments. The white noise and snuggle bed were useless for us, he was happy ON me, hence the super dangerous cosleeping exercise ( by god it works though!!!)
But a sling and a rocking chair is the biz. ( until bub's gets too heavy)

My baby was 2 months prem so this phase lasted double the time.  I enlisted night nannies to give me a break ( best money spent even if you don't have any money!!) and my family were fantastic in just taking the baby for an hour during the day  and or pick up and drop off my Dd to school so that I didn't have to get dressed etc, as feeding in the early days took over an hour.  You need to learn to ask for help from those who are around. The majority of people do feel so good doing something to help so that you can deal better with this phase. Ask someone to come over and look after baby while you sleep that 3 hr block. Get earplugs!!

You don't say if your baby takes a dummy?  What a wonderful invention that one is. I use ours ( even now) when he needs it ( which for you might be the wee hours) never when he is awake and only as a settling tool.  Also don't unwrap prematurely, it's such a security and offer nothing " bad" that I can tell?.

And finally! It ends!! So do what you need to do to get through ( safely). NBs don't know time, night from day or the concept of spoiling. They are a bit like goldfish at this age and live moment by moment as long as you are there for them all. The. Time. - they are secure and don't need to remember how they got to sleep the nap before the last, as long as sleep came and boob not long after waking ( or in our case bottle)
It ended for us at about 4 months ( 2 months corrected) he did have reflux and in and out of hospital since birth but there was a significant shift for us at 4 months.  
No need to train your baby but it doesn't hurt to follow self settling techniques for age appropriate babies. Tresillian are a great resource for this so tap in via web if you can.

GL!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.