Sponsoring a Child

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 K2010

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I would really love to sponsor a child but am a bit confused about which organisation
To go with ...
Anyone have any good or bad experiences they would like to share ?
My husband is hesitant as to whether the money actually gets to the children after watching a segment on ACA a few years back .

#2 follies

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you don't like the idea of going through a religious group you can use Plan.

#3 Lyra

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I am pretty sure you can sponsor a child in need here in Australia through the Smith Family

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I sponsor a child thru world vision. It has been a great experience. Yes the child/family does not get the money, the community does for things like vaccinations, training health care workers etc.

My only suggestion would be whatever charity you go with, ask about the monthly costs, is it indexed to the CPI, do they expect extra for Christmas and birthday gifts, are there any extra costs at all?

My parents got burnt a few years ago - they signed up with the Smith Family, expecting they could hand make a small Christmas gift and post it. No they suggested a minimum of $50 giftcard each for the family for Christmas/birthday. That's an extra $100 a year they expected. My parents had to stop after a year - the extra $100 was just out of their budget.

#5 seepi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

We sponsor through child fund. the little girl in timor we sponsor  really needs the help. timor is the poorest country in our region, and I'm happy to be doing something.

the little girl lives with her mum only in a house they made themselves on palm branches - it looks quite basic in the photos. she is also tiny - she is 100cm and about 14kg - this is smaller than my 4 yr old and she is 8.

the letters we get are very basic and full of typos and strange language- I think the timor program is only just starting out and their translators are not very qualified - but to me that just says they really need the help.

the money doesn't go directly to the family , but instead the child gets on healath programs, gets vacinated, gets school uniforms and books etc.

I think it is worthwile. With
Child fund you can choose male or female child, and which are area of the world you are interested in.

#6 skylark

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

We go with Plan, have been great, lots of letters and a very easy online system for sending letters and photos etc.

#7 K2010

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the replies ...

I should have explained better though I realise the money doesn't directly go to the child - my Dh is concerned that the bulk of the money gets used for admin costs at some organisations ....

#8 luke's mummu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

If you look at their websites they all should tell you what % is used in admin costs. Definitely world vision does.

#9 erindiv

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have only heard bad things about the amount of money that disappears into 'administration' in World Vision.

edit to add: There was a story on Foreign Correspondant about it ages ago, one of them had sponsored and child and was told she was learning English and so on. But when they visited her she had not been taught any English, and the only thing she knew of World Vision was that they had given her a pen or something.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/World_Vision_FCPResponse.htm

Edited by erindiv, 22 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#10 seepi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

They do have admin costs - every time you send a letter it has to be translated. Someone has to run the program. They have to have letterhead paper etc. I dont' think you can ever get away from having some admin costs.

#11 Mumma3

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I think it is helpful to look at the difference between administration costs and advertising costs with these programs. Some of the places do split these costs on their websites. I'm not impressed by the amount of mail we receive asking for more sponsorship etc from the organisation we use! I know they have to advertise, but I think we get at least 1 letter a month, and that is money that I would rather they spent on the sponsor child.

Administration however, is important in making sure the money gets to the right place, and also provides jobs for adults in the sponsor communities as well as here in Australia. So, I'm happy with money on admin but not as much on advertising.

#12 ~ky~

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm thinking of sponsoring a child through The Smith Family as we were once in a position where it was hard to feed and clothe our kids so I would like to do so for another family in Australia.

#13 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Have had a look at all the places mentioned and it's such a hard decision .... I want to help them all !!!!
An leaning towards Plan at the moment !!!

#14 roses99

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

DH and I have sponsored through Compassion for 18 years. We got our first child when she was 3, sponsored her right through school and then had the opportunity to support her through University. We also visited her in Thailand during that time. I am absolutely convinced it worked. Our sponsorship got her out of her tiny, remote village and into a Compassion-run boarding house, which allowed her to attend the local high school. That's an opportunity she wouldn't have had otherwise. Now - with a four year Bachelor's Degree - she's as qualified as I am!

We started sponsoring our second at age three as well and she's now 18 and about to finish high school.

Compassion spends relatively little on admin and advertising. But it's important they spend some on those activities, otherwise they'd never drum up any support.

#15 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Oh wow that sounds wonderful roses99  - I hadn't looked at compassion , will check it out now original.gif

#16 niggles goes feral

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (K2010 @ 22/12/2012, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies ...

I should have explained better though I realise the money doesn't directly go to the child - my Dh is concerned that the bulk of the money gets used for admin costs at some organisations ....

This is an absolute furphy. Administrative costs are not something to be worried about. Think about it like this. If you are going to make a long term financial committment to an organisation wouldn't you like to know it is well administered?

To answer your original question you can use this website to look into aid organisations and help make a choice about where you'd like your money to go:

http://www.givewell.com.au/

Good luck with your decision.

#17 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks niggles that site looks very informative original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.