Sponsoring a Child

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 K2010

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I would really love to sponsor a child but am a bit confused about which organisation
To go with ...
Anyone have any good or bad experiences they would like to share ?
My husband is hesitant as to whether the money actually gets to the children after watching a segment on ACA a few years back .

#2 follies

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you don't like the idea of going through a religious group you can use Plan.

#3 Lyra

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I am pretty sure you can sponsor a child in need here in Australia through the Smith Family

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I sponsor a child thru world vision. It has been a great experience. Yes the child/family does not get the money, the community does for things like vaccinations, training health care workers etc.

My only suggestion would be whatever charity you go with, ask about the monthly costs, is it indexed to the CPI, do they expect extra for Christmas and birthday gifts, are there any extra costs at all?

My parents got burnt a few years ago - they signed up with the Smith Family, expecting they could hand make a small Christmas gift and post it. No they suggested a minimum of $50 giftcard each for the family for Christmas/birthday. That's an extra $100 a year they expected. My parents had to stop after a year - the extra $100 was just out of their budget.

#5 seepi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

We sponsor through child fund. the little girl in timor we sponsor  really needs the help. timor is the poorest country in our region, and I'm happy to be doing something.

the little girl lives with her mum only in a house they made themselves on palm branches - it looks quite basic in the photos. she is also tiny - she is 100cm and about 14kg - this is smaller than my 4 yr old and she is 8.

the letters we get are very basic and full of typos and strange language- I think the timor program is only just starting out and their translators are not very qualified - but to me that just says they really need the help.

the money doesn't go directly to the family , but instead the child gets on healath programs, gets vacinated, gets school uniforms and books etc.

I think it is worthwile. With
Child fund you can choose male or female child, and which are area of the world you are interested in.

#6 skylark

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

We go with Plan, have been great, lots of letters and a very easy online system for sending letters and photos etc.

#7 K2010

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the replies ...

I should have explained better though I realise the money doesn't directly go to the child - my Dh is concerned that the bulk of the money gets used for admin costs at some organisations ....

#8 luke's mummu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

If you look at their websites they all should tell you what % is used in admin costs. Definitely world vision does.

#9 erindiv

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have only heard bad things about the amount of money that disappears into 'administration' in World Vision.

edit to add: There was a story on Foreign Correspondant about it ages ago, one of them had sponsored and child and was told she was learning English and so on. But when they visited her she had not been taught any English, and the only thing she knew of World Vision was that they had given her a pen or something.

Link: http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/World_Vision_FCPResponse.htm

Edited by erindiv, 22 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#10 seepi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

They do have admin costs - every time you send a letter it has to be translated. Someone has to run the program. They have to have letterhead paper etc. I dont' think you can ever get away from having some admin costs.

#11 Mumma3

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I think it is helpful to look at the difference between administration costs and advertising costs with these programs. Some of the places do split these costs on their websites. I'm not impressed by the amount of mail we receive asking for more sponsorship etc from the organisation we use! I know they have to advertise, but I think we get at least 1 letter a month, and that is money that I would rather they spent on the sponsor child.

Administration however, is important in making sure the money gets to the right place, and also provides jobs for adults in the sponsor communities as well as here in Australia. So, I'm happy with money on admin but not as much on advertising.

#12 ~ky~

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'm thinking of sponsoring a child through The Smith Family as we were once in a position where it was hard to feed and clothe our kids so I would like to do so for another family in Australia.

#13 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Have had a look at all the places mentioned and it's such a hard decision .... I want to help them all !!!!
An leaning towards Plan at the moment !!!

#14 roses99

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

DH and I have sponsored through Compassion for 18 years. We got our first child when she was 3, sponsored her right through school and then had the opportunity to support her through University. We also visited her in Thailand during that time. I am absolutely convinced it worked. Our sponsorship got her out of her tiny, remote village and into a Compassion-run boarding house, which allowed her to attend the local high school. That's an opportunity she wouldn't have had otherwise. Now - with a four year Bachelor's Degree - she's as qualified as I am!

We started sponsoring our second at age three as well and she's now 18 and about to finish high school.

Compassion spends relatively little on admin and advertising. But it's important they spend some on those activities, otherwise they'd never drum up any support.

#15 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Oh wow that sounds wonderful roses99  - I hadn't looked at compassion , will check it out now original.gif

#16 niggles

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (K2010 @ 22/12/2012, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies ...

I should have explained better though I realise the money doesn't directly go to the child - my Dh is concerned that the bulk of the money gets used for admin costs at some organisations ....

This is an absolute furphy. Administrative costs are not something to be worried about. Think about it like this. If you are going to make a long term financial committment to an organisation wouldn't you like to know it is well administered?

To answer your original question you can use this website to look into aid organisations and help make a choice about where you'd like your money to go:

http://www.givewell.com.au/

Good luck with your decision.

#17 K2010

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks niggles that site looks very informative original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.