1 year old Walking

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LC1983

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi all, while I'm just new to EB I have found these forums most helpful. I thought I would post here and see what you had to suggest for me. My daughter has just gone one and while I know it isn't a concern that she is not walking I thought I would get your opinions. A brief rundown; DD was diagnosed with hip dyplasia at 4 days old. She was put in a brace until 3 months old and at her last check up a month ago, her hips were fine. The physio at the RCH did say however that she thought DD was 'overly flexible'/ double jointed. Which I had an idea she was because some of the positions she can get into are unbelievable haha. DD can stand holding onto the couch and cruise albeit for not very long. It's like she doesn't have the strength in her ankles and legs. DD is very petite, not even 8 kgs yet (which we're working on). I have read through a few posts about people seeing physios for their children who have low muscle mass etc. I have spoken to the MCHN and our GP and they don't think it's an issue 'yet'. My concern is that we will get 6 months down the track and then they will want to do something about it and tell me we should have done something earlier. Can anyone suggest exercises we can do with DD to maybe help strengthen her legs or should I see someone else that may he able to help. Or am I being a silly first time mum whoIs worrying about nothing?!
😃

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/m...tiles_table.pdf

50% of children are walking at 12m but that also means50% are NOT walking at 12m

My kids were 16.5, 17.5 and 19.5 when they walked.

The DSs were cruising from 9m but walked 16.5 and 19.5m. DD was 12m when she started cruising and walked 17.5m

If your child is cruising I would not stress too much.

#3 mummy.to.one

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

12months is still little to worry about non walking. You can organise a private physio but if your gp and CHN are not worried maybe give it a bit more time, but also go with your mum instinct.

DS didn't walk until he was almost 2 and he has low muscle tone which we knew about from about 9/10months.

#4 4kidlets

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Not walking at 12 months is perfectly normal. plenty of babies are still crawling or otherwise getting around - bum shuffling etc, some are walking holding onto furniture (is that what you mean by cruising?) some are not.

Sure, some babies walk as early as 10 months but others dont walk till 18 months, late end of normal.

I dont think you need to do anything at all OP, especially since MCHN and GP have both said development is normal;  baby will get there in her own good time original.gif

Edited by 4kidlets, 22 December 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#5 erindiv

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

As PP have said, it is normal for her to not be walking yet. My 1 year old is walking but his sister was not at that age.

#6 CountryBumpkin

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

My youngest was rolling around at 3m, crawling at 5, sitting at 6, and cruising by 7 months. We thought she would be walking early - but she took her first steps at 13 months. I have found most children I know do it in the month or two after thei first birthday. My fourth didn't walk until 20 months!

#7 AliC05

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Its totally normal to not be walking at 12 months (even though its seen as the "normal" age to walk)

My DS didnt walk (well throw himself across the room!) until 15 months.

My understanding is that its totally not a concern until they get to 18 months and even then its not total drama.

I would think just encouraging DD to cruise alot would be good. She will find her feet in her own time.

original.gif

#8 Leha

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

My dd was diagnosed with hip issues at birth and was in the harness for 3 mths. She cruised from about 7 mths but didn't start walking until 13 mths. I think personality has a lot to do with it she is quite cautious so was just taking her time. My sisters dd didn't walk until nearly 2 and my DS walked at 8 mths so they are all different.

Anyway as others have said 12 mths is still early. My dd walked earlier than a lot of my friends kids. I wouldn't start worrying for awhile yet.

#9 Carmen02

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

still very early, my DD walked at 12mths but my two boys where 19mths when they walked. DS2 wasnt even crawling till 14mths. I wouldnt worry to much yet, just give her lots of oppurinty to move around she will get there original.gif

#10 EffiesMum172

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Edited by EffiesMum172, 22 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#11 Penguin78

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

My DS didn't walk till 18 months and was cruising from 10 months. . So I don't think the not walking in itself is a concern. But I can understand giving her other issues that you want to do as much as you can to help her.

I think that it's a good idea to talk to a ped physio just for ideas to encourage her muscle strength. Do you se one from th e hip dysplasia?

But just reiterating I don't think you need to worry !

#12 SylviaPlath

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I can't give you muscle strengthening advice, however I am hoping to give you some reassurance by sharing what's happening in my mother's group. About half of the babies (now at 15 months) are walking. There are still quite a few babies that are now only taking a few steps. One of them only just started couch surfing. Which I find very interesting because he has been one of the first to pull head up, roll, crawl etc. DS on the hand was a late everything (roll, crawl etc). And he just got up one day and walked at 12.5 months. I think the time between crawling and walking was about 1.5 months. So medical issues aside, it's very hard to predict anything and if your gp/MCHN aren't worried, I wouldn't be either.

I did get him one of those activity centres from about 4 months though. He would love to stand and play in that for ages. Then, when he got tired he would sit. So maybe you can get her one of those. Although, it's probably healthier for you to encourage her to furniture cruise...Anyway, this is my five cents.

#13 libbylu

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Is she crawling and sitting independently?
My DS was strong as an ox and didn't walk til 14 months.
You can always hold one hand each and help her 'walk' around for a bit, as long as she enjoys it.

#14 LC1983

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (mummy.to.one @ 22/12/2012, 02:58 PM)
15177848[/url]']
12months is still little to worry about non walking. You can organise a private physio but if your gp and CHN are not worried maybe give it a bit more time, but also go with your mum instinct.

DS didn't walk until he was almost 2 and he has low muscle tone which we knew about from about 9/10months.

Did he need to do any exercises in that time to help him get strength?

#15 LC1983

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks everyone. The walking isn't a concern, I'm quite happy for her to crawl around. I just didn't want to get to 18 months and then have the professionals tell me that we should have done something earlier. She is sitting and crawling fine and like I said, standing up leaning on the couch, table, her toy box and play centre. But she can only do it for maybe a minute or so before she gets tired and has to sit. And as for the holding hands and helping her walk; she hates it. Will take one maybe two  wobbly steps on her tip toes and then sit.

#16 melaine

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

I think if your bub is cruising and weightbearing, has met other milestones and your MCHN and GP are not concerned then just give her time.

However, if you still have worries then seek a second opinion. You can see a private paed physio without a referral and they might reassure you.

FWIW - both my kids were early to roll, sit, crawl etc. They were pulling to stand and cruising confidently early as well (earliest in mother's group bar one or two). Neither walked till 15 months. Felt like it took forever, but was well within normal range. Other babies didn't crawl till 12 months and then were up and walking a month later!

ETA - my kids hated walking holding hands. They preferred to do it at their own pace.

Edited by melaine, 22 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#17 LC1983

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Penguin78 @ 22/12/2012, 09:06 PM)
15178548[/url]']
My DS didn't walk till 18 months and was cruising from 10 months. . So I don't think the not walking in itself is a concern. But I can understand giving her other issues that you want to do as much as you can to help her.

I think that it's a good idea to talk to a ped physio just for ideas to encourage her muscle strength. Do you se one from th e hip dysplasia?

But just reiterating I don't think you need to worry !

Yeah we see a physio at the Melbourne children's hospital for her hips and she was the one who said DD would probably walk late due to double joints/overly flexible. But she said we didn't need to see anyone about it and was quite dismissive.

#18 kabailz13

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

As others have said, completely normal for a 12 month old to not be walking original.gif The typical age range is 12-18 months I believe.

My kids have walked at 9mths, 12.5mths, 15mths, 17.5mths and 15mths. My middle child was cruising furniture from 8mths but still didn't take independent steps for another 7 months!

Definitely keep an eye on it though given there are underlying factors which may influence things.

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

All three of my kids refused to walk holding you fingers like other kids.

They all got up one day and gave up crawling. No few steps stumble fall just replacement of crawling within a 24hr period.

#20 mummy.to.one

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (LC1983 @ 22/12/2012, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did he need to do any exercises in that time to help him get strength?

Not particularly to help him walk, we saw a physio monthly and we would concentrate on helping him bend his knees to go up and down rather than just dropping, one of his legs is weaker than the other and the physio would set up a little obstacle course for him to play on.

He wouldn't hold our hands, and the physio told us to place our hand under his arm pits and go for little walks around the house like that. With him holding our hands he was still relying on us, but with our hands under his armpits holding him he had more control and that helped strengthen his legs.

We also made sure we had good shoes for his ankles as he was flexible (you could bend his toes up to his legs). We ended up ordering shoes from amazon (US) which were higher than normal around the ankle.

I think that's mostly it, that I can remember. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.