Family feeding DS sugar
How did you handle?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Felix101

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

DS is 7 months, and has been on solids for just a couple of weeks. We are doing baby-led weaning, so he is usually given some of whatever we have at meals.

My MIL in particular loves to give him pretty much everything I don't want him to have, in particular things with sugar (such as buscuits - which she feeds him the second I turn my back). I have spoken to her about the fact that I don't want him eating sugary and processed foods (explaining that yes, that includes ice cream in a cone... No he doesn't want it, because he doesn't know what it is and I'd like it to stay that way). I cook a lot and hate processed foods for my DH and I, so it's not surprising that I feel the same way for DS. My MIL told me I was being silly, and a little bit wasn't going to hurt. Whilst I see where she's coming from I asked her to respect my decision. She said ok. Then asked 15min later if she could give him another biscuit (granted, this time she asked... Haha). I said no... She waited til I went out for 10min and gave it to him then....

I don't see her much, so I'm normally ok at handling it, but given the festive season she is going to be around a bit, as will the rest of DHs side of the family, who I know are going to be the same.

I'm not very confrontational, and whilst I explain things, I know they will just pretend to listen and start feeding him even more of what I don't want him to have. I'm ok with letting the odd thing slide, but it's going to be so much more than that.

So I'm interested to hear how others have handled meddling family who can't just let you feed your child how you would like to original.gif

#2 CherryAmes

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yep, this is my mum to a tee. Always gives my toddler chocolate when I'm not looking. Tried to give her coke one day (!!!) but my partner saw her and told her off so she never tried that again. And she wonders why I won't let her babysit!

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'd be more concerned about the fact that she ignored your requests rather than the fact that your little one had a biscuit.
You need to let her know you are angry about her defying you.

#4 Feral_Pooks

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think you need to pick your battles and have a good think about whether this is worth the angst. This time of year is tough enough as it is. If it were me, I'd let it go. Chances are that the more you push, the more she will push back. One strategy I've used is to sit back and let DS eat whatever it is, without comment, and then say after a few moments " looks like you enjoyed trying that, it's nice trying new things just for a little taste, thanks grandma" and then I take it off him and eat it myself. I honestly CBF having drama over something like a bikkie.

#5 MrsShine

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Unfortunately this is just what (most) grandparents do! We were raised very healthily on a Mostly vegetarian diet, and not a lot of treats and my sister is now very big on cooking, organic food, unprocessed etc. etc. yet our own parents will happily buy her DS a block of chocolate! Not a bar - a whole BLOCK!!! He also gets iced chocolates with whipped cream, Coke, lemonade and hot chips regularly when he's in their care....she is completely exasperated about it. But he's 11yrs old now so it's not going to change. For some reason GP's just like to spoil the GC! If its not every day like you say I wouldn't worry abt it oo much.

#6 Feral timtam

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Perhaps try a different tactic?

I let my relatives feed my children whatever they want on one condition. They have to tell me exactly and in detail what has gone into the child's mouth so that I know what they have eaten in case of a reaction. I figured they were going to sneak foods to my kids behind my backs and my family seems to be a bit more responsible about what they give my kids.

What would you rather? Your MIL being open and upfront about giving your child processed foods and you knowing what they've eaten if they react to it or your MIL vehemently denying giving your child anything and your child having a violent reaction to it and ending up in hospital with you unable to tell the medical professionals what your child ingested to cause the reaction?

#7 cinnabubble

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'd just keep him away from her. She doesn't respect you and your choices enough to listen, so don't give her the opportunity.

#8 Lalliana

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

I know how you feel OP. We have my DSD on Failsafe due to suspected ADD however my MIL thinks it's nonsense and that there is nothing wrong with her. I know she does try and buys things thinking they will be ok (like organic sausages which are not failsafe) but aren't. I've tried to tell her what is ok and what isn't but I've found that it's easier now just to pack everything she can eat when she goes over there and hope that my DSD follows her diet despite possible temptation. I know it's difficult but you have to accept that sometimes family just doesn't listen.

#9 mini mac

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I hear your pain. This was exactly me about a year ago with my MIL and DS1.

When you say you don't want your child to have something for ANY reason, you would think family would listen, especially when you've said it multiple times.

My reasons weren't dissimilar to yours, but also MIL would give DS1 food he wasn't ready for and choke worthy for a baby (she would give him whatever his 13 month senior cousin was having... Let's just say he ate and got whatever he wanted, way too much sugar IMO)... I didn't want DS to have so much sugar so young, there was absolutely no need!

For the first few months I really tried to stopped her. I kept explaining my aversion to my little one having so much processed sugar. Especially as I usually had brought food just for him knowing what she would ply him with, it was really frustrating! She would give him sugary biscuits and packet junk/lollies/chocolate when a healthy salad was on the table that he would happily munch on, or he'd already eaten enough and kept loading him up on sugar.

In the end, as DS got a bit older too, I got sick of repeating myself, I felt like such a stick in the mud, DH's family would all listen to me make excuses for why I didn't want DS to eat whatever he was being given...

So I've compromised, as long as DS has eaten some healthy stuff now I let MIL give a few treats (not even half as many as his older cousin gets!) and then I'll say he's had enough. Although I don't really like it, she gets to spoil him a bit and I don't sound like a broken record. And its not an everyday occurrence, its about every other weekend or so.

In saying all that, if you are firm in your beliefs, you should stick to your guns and keep making your point. If all the family hear her defy you over and over, then if you turn around and say something like 'I won't come visit until you promise not to give my baby xyz etc' there has been enough evidence around for you to not look like a rude DIL.

#10 mini mac

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (tamjk @ 22/12/2012, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps try a different tactic?

I let my relatives feed my children whatever they want on one condition. They have to tell me exactly and in detail what has gone into the child's mouth so that I know what they have eaten in case of a reaction. I figured they were going to sneak foods to my kids behind my backs and my family seems to be a bit more responsible about what they give my kids.

What would you rather? Your MIL being open and upfront about giving your child processed foods and you knowing what they've eaten if they react to it or your MIL vehemently denying giving your child anything and your child having a violent reaction to it and ending up in hospital with you unable to tell the medical professionals what your child ingested to cause the reaction?

That is a good idea!

#11 TopsyTurvy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I controlled treats by giving them things that were ok.

So if they wanted to give a treat it was a very plain 1/2 arrowroot biscuit, or one tiny chocolate button etc.

By allowing them some freedom to give an occasional treat from an approved list, we avoided a lot of this angst.

#12 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Pick your battles. You don't see her much so it's not happening all the time. Is it really worth getting into conflict over the odd buscuit?

If she gives him something you don't want him to have just quietly take it off him. It gets much harder to avoid processed food as they get older. I fond it was better to let my kids have the occasional treat and teach them everything in moderation.

#13 sarkazm76

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

"He had allergies" usually works and saves me from saying "if you want to feed YOUR 2 year old a bunch of absolute crap and chemicals go right ahead but that sh*te will not be going into my child".

#14 Feral_Pooks

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I love feeding my kid chemicals and crap because I'm a bad parent who doesn't care about him original.gif

You'd be amazed how fine a bikkie is, actually.

#15 katniss

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 22/12/2012, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just keep him away from her. She doesn't respect you and your choices enough to listen, so don't give her the opportunity.

This.
My MIL used to constantly feed my DS1 crap all day long. I didn't mind 1 or 2 treats but not all day long. So we banned her from being alone with him! She was narky at first but got the hint. She's still not perfect but not as bad as before.

#16 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I have he same problem with my MIL. She wants To give my bub biscuits too. She thinks that just because something was ok when she was raising her kids in the 70's that it still fine now. I told her that I don't want him eating surgery things. She started a huge argument with my husband and I and went off onto tangents that had  nothing to do with babies. She says to "I had 5 kids, I know", yes, I'm going to take parenting advise from someone who swears around kids and thinks there is nothing wrong with smoking while pregnant "it didn't affect any of you" she says to rhem, yes, that is why 4 of them have asthma.

I also don't want her to get into the habit of giving him too much junk because she gives my 9 year old SS so much rubbish from the moment we get to her house (I try to get my husband to reel it in a bit  ut he doesn't) and I don't want my bub to start having those expectation. I know grandparents are meant to spoil their grand kids not to a rediculous state

Next time she tries to get me to give hima biscuit or  anything else I don't want him having, I am going to say that the companies that make baby food aren't allowed to add sugar or salt to their food for a reason.

#17 Ritaroo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I disagree with the comments it's just a biscuit or pick your battles. I think whether eating a biscuit is harmful or not is not the point. As your child's mother you have every right to raise the child how you see fit. You have your reasons and I think it's disrespectful for your family not to follow those wishes. They don't have to agree with you and may think you are over reacting but each to their own and if you have said no sugar, they should respect that.

#18 AryaStar

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have a toddler and a seven month old and I have a blanket "no" policy on junk food as babies because I find this is an issue that I think works best with clearly defined boundaries.

The problem I find with "just one bikkie" is that it can become a slippery slope which people read as permission to feed your kid crap all the time. These days there is always some occasion, or some event, or one little piece of x,y,z and it can really add up if your MIL, Aunty Joan, Cousin Steve etc etc all think it is OK to give your baby a little "treat". That's why I play fun police/bad cop and have a firm "no thanks" approach up until about 18 months. I kind of figure this is the one time in their life that I have the most influence when it comes to food so I want them to start off on the right foot.

I also think it is very disrespectful for anyone to be pushing the point if you have already asked them not to.

#19 Mummy Em

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I would just keep bub with me as much as possible, and get ready to put my hand in the way if she tries to stick something in his mouth. Hopefully she will eventually get the idea that if she wants to be allowed to be with him unsupervised, even momentarily, then she will have to tow the line whether she agrees or not. He's your child and you have the job of keeping him safe and healthy.

#20 TheWanderer

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Wow the fun police are out in force today!  One of my fondest childhood memories is getting spoiled by my grandparents and getting the odd sneaky treat that I may not have gotten at home.

LoL to the blanket no junk food policy... all I can say is "poor kid"... just glad I didn't grow up in that house... I bet it is a real hoot!

#21 halcyondays

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

The "odd sneaky treat" is one thing. The problem is when people use food manipulation as a way of putting down the mother's parenting choices. Some people enjoy watching a baby devour food so much that they overdo it, and "one sneaky treat" turns into 4 biccies, an ice cream and a chocolate bar for a 7 month old.

I'm not much help, OP, I actually had a paediatrician's letter banning my kid from eating most processed foods, and they still ran around after him- I lost the plot when I was in hospital after giving birth to my second DS and they were running around after my toddler trying to feed him a rum chocolate ganache cake. He didn't like it, wasn't interested, and they still persisted.
Apparently, they thought it was so delicious, they wanted him to enjoy it too.

#22 Holidayromp

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

The OPs child is 7mo FFS - I would be pretty p*ssy too if people didn't listen and kept feeding crap.  The baby has only just started solids.  This is a very important time because if they don't get crap they don't miss it and want it whenever it is around.
This is an issue I would be happy to go into battle for time and time again.  I have done it for my kids because I want what is best for them not filling them up on crap at such a young age.

#23 TheWanderer

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

It really does fall into the so what category.  Getting a letter from your doctor is a joke, though a note from your mum might have been hard to get in this case.

Grandparents are supposed to spoil kids, and yes that includes feeding them junk and sending them home wired.  It is just how the world works.  I think it is a bit pointless getting all up tight over it...  a thank you for minding your kids may be a better choice than being control freak.

The next thread is in venting forum winging that the grandparents don't want to babysit for you.

#24 cinnabubble

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

If I had a grandparent feeding a baby of seven months crap like that, there's no way in hell I'd want baby sitting from them. In fact, we've never asked for or accepted offers babysitting from the irresponsible grandparents in six years, so I practice what I preach.

#25 TheWanderer

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I can see your point.... because the occasional bit of junk food is going to cause the child to spontaneously combust, or at best embark on a destructive gluttonous path of Maccas, KFC and clocolate icecream until they have a heart attack at 20.  Either that... or it won't actually matter a damn in the grand scheme of things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.