Christmas pudding
does anyone actually eat it?!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 chookpea

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

DH was given one as a gift from work.  

Do people actually eat it?  What do you eat it with?  It's so heavy and dense I'd imagine  you would eat it with heavy cream on a cold night...??

It expires in 2015.  I would love to know how it can last that long! sick.gif

#2 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Custard, cream and icecream go pretty well with it.

I'm not a big fan of the typical plum pudding. I much prefer the chocolate ones, and this year we are trying the Coles salted caramel one.

#3 Chaos in stereo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

OMG, yes! Heat and serve with custard - it's delicious!

#4 Therese

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Chaos in stereo @ 22/12/2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, yes! Heat and serve with custard - it's delicious!

Exactly like this. Yum!

#5 BlondieUK

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

They last so long because it's basically dried fruit and alcohol, with some eggs and wheat holding it all together original.gif

(plus preservatives, I guess!)

My Nan used to make next year's Xmas pudding on Boxing Day.............

#6 Tarantara

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Christmas pudding is great. My grandmother would make two in September - one for Christmas, one for my grandfathers birthday next September. You cut a super thin slice and serve with whatever you think tastes good. Whipped cream, custard, or my personal favourite, brandy butter, which also tastes excellent with pancakes.

#7 Froyo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

I love Christmas pud. Serve hot with brandy custard and cream biggrin.gif

#8 Feral timtam

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'd hate to think what alternative plans might be in place for the six I've been asked to make this year.

In our family they are steamed and served with home-made custard, whipped cream, ice cream and occasionally brandy butter if somebody can be persuaded to make it.

#9 Tigerdog

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I heat mine and put butter on it (I sometimes like a bit of something else with my butter biggrin.gif ).

#10 FiveAus

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yep, steamed with custard, cream and /or ice cream. Wouldn't be Christmas without the traditional pudding. And we've even been known to eat it for breakfast on Boxing Day (sometimes a bit of pav sneaks into the cereal bowl too).

#11 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (Jillian_10 @ 22/12/2012, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Christmas pudding is great. My grandmother would make two in September - one for Christmas, one for my grandfathers birthday next September. You cut a super thin slice and serve with whatever you think tastes good. Whipped cream, custard, or my personal favourite, brandy butter, which also tastes excellent with pancakes.

Not in our house! Thick wedges with an ocean of brandy custard. Mum makes three every year (one each for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year) to Grandma's recipe in about September and does her traditional panic as to whether they will be up to scratch. Of course they always are.

#12 TopsyTurvy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

I love Christmas pudding.

Mainly as a vessel for my dad's brandy sauce though. ph34r.gif you should definitely not drive after consumption though Tounge1.gif

Yum served with dads brandy sauce, cream AND icecream!!

#13 bakesferalgirls

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I love love love Xmas pudding. So much in fact, that I make either a steamed or a boiled pudding every year- it depends on which one I feel like, and I always make it big.

No thin slices here. A big chunk gets cut. Hot pudding and cold custard is the best original.gif

#14 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I don't eat it, but most of my family do. Usually with custard.

#15 Cath-In-SA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

We get Lions Christmas Cake, which isn't the same but close enough.

Mostly we are too stuffed to eat it on Christmas Day (what's left of it by then anyway  wink.gif ) but it does get eaten.

I prefer mine with warm custard, which I make from my grandma's recipe.

#16 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I LOVE CHristmas pudding, with loads of cream. Am going to make my own next year.

#17 Etcetera

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yum! I like it with custard - warm, not cold.

I hate Christmas cake though. My grandfather ate it with cheese!

#18 Frau Farbissina

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Oh I love a good Christmas pudding with a big dollop of custard! And yes it has to be warm. and if it's doused in some brandy, even better!

My grandmother used to make them with a dollar coin in each slice.

#19 Kiki M

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

In our family no one under the age of 40 will touch it. It's like a generational line has been drawn for pudding-eaters and non-pudding eaters. So we always have two desserts, one for the old people and one for the young-uns  original.gif

#20 FeralBob!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

I do quite happily in Ireland, but I couldn't imagine it in Sydney heat  blink.gif

My best advice would very to keep it till next winter and have a Christmas in July type meal where you will appreciate it much more  laugh.gif

Oh, and brandy butter is All The Good Things on Christmas pud wub.gif

#21 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I hate pudding but at work we got given a chocolate one from a rep. It was so moist and good, we all thought it was the normal fruit one but nope was so good.

#22 DreamFeralisations

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

On the subject, I got given one but it is sans cloth - how do I heat it?

#23 katbalou

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Kiki M @ 24/12/2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In our family no one under the age of 40 will touch it. It's like a generational line has been drawn for pudding-eaters and non-pudding eaters. So we always have two desserts, one for the old people and one for the young-uns  original.gif

Way to may someone feel old, lol.  I love Christmas pud, and so do my kids.  We made our own last week, as we do every year.  We will enjoy it with custard and icecream..  My DH is not a fan however.

#24 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (suziej @ 24/12/2012, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the subject, I got given one but it is sans cloth - how do I heat it?

I just microwave slices!

I LOVE Christmas pudding and bought one this year, but we have to finish the trifle first wink.gif

We eat pudding with custard (pudding hot, custard cold).

We eat Christmas cake with butter on it original.gif

#25 skylark

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I used to hate it, but have grown to love it over the years (ditto fruitcake). I love a really moist christmas pud, we got a Heston one from Coles this year, steamed it for 3 hours as per the instructions, and it was incredible. My husband even said it was better than his mum's (which is a huge call for him to make). It had a whole candied orange inside, so yummy!

eta: we had ours with whipped cream and vanilla bean custard. I don't personally like brandy butter, but that is the traditional accompaniment. At my in-laws place they put brandy butter, custard, whipped cream and ice-cream all on the pudding at the same time, I can't deal with that!

Edited by skylark, 26 December 2012 - 03:56 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.