Are midwives supposed to help you cope during labour?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just wondering if a midwife is supposed to help you cope during labour?

When I gave birth last year I end up being induced and DS needed monitoring so was hooked up to a drip and a machine. My midwife mostly spent the entire time watching the machine, although she did help me go to the toilet and got me heat packs.

However when coping with my contractions she didn't really say or do anything or offer any suggestions as to how I could cope, just left me to it and didnt speak to me. My DH was sick during most of my labour so he was pretty useless but I had hoped he would have been more helpful.

Some of my friends who have given birth said that their midwife helped them during their contractions, talked them through, offered them words of encouragement etc. Mine didn't do this.

It didn't bother me at the time and doesn't bother me now, my DH should have been the one supporting me through anyway, but as he was sick I was pretty much left alone. She was a really lovely midwife and left just before I pushed DS out.

So does anyone know if a midwife is supposed to provide support to cope during labour?

#2 seepi

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Mine didn't. i was crushed. i was really expecting them to.

#3 Onyx

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Mine did. Then when things went pear shaped 2 more midwives came in.
I started to lose it completely, one midwife told me to stop, calm down and let them do what they need to do, to get my baby out, then they would focus on me.
Exactly what I needed to hear at that point. She brought me back into focus.

Then when being rushed to theatre it was my OB that helped me immensely.

#4 Feral_Pooks

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think so. I was ok during the first stage, so I was pretty much left to myself with DP dozing on and off and occasionally running to get a middy if I needed something. I would have thought that if I wasn't coping, she would have helped. Although I wasn't coping at all during second stage and was treated a bit like a farm animal, so I don't know.

I guess part of the problem is that what is supportive for one woman isn't for another? I know I appreciated minimal noise, light and chatter. I couldn't have cared less what anyone had to say. In second stage, I think I needed the same, plus some positivity when I started having doubts. I think if you freak out, it can have bad implications for the birth, so surely part of it has to be about keeping you "coping"?

#5 rosiebird

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

My midwife did - she always had a new suggestion just as I was losing confidence in my ability to cope. When I was exhausted and panicky, she lay me down, put on aromatherapy candles and did visualisation techniques. When I had settled down and contractions slowed, she got me up and walking. When the pain was too much, she ran a warm bath and massaged my back etc etc. she was marvellous and I would not have managed without her.

#6 ubermum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

I guess they help people the way they think they would like to be helped. I know for me, when I am having a contraction, everyone better shut the hell up. Silence is what I want. Due to my needs during labour, I would probably be quiet during someone's contractions, only offering advice if they were crying out or saying something like "I can't do this". Midwives are people. They all respond to situations differently and are influenced by their own experiences.

#7 lynneyours

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think they are supposed to get the baby out safely and ensure the safety of the Mum.

With DD1 - the lovely student midwife pressed pressure points on my hand which helped, and massaged my back, really low down, for a bit. The midwife in charge coached me through pushing, made me understand that the baby's heart-rate was almost stopping with each contraction and she needed to come out NOW.... 3 pushes later....

With DD2 - the midwives didn't really listen or help: I told DH to go tell them I had pressure. 10min later I said "go tell them I have pressure AND I delivered my first baby in 45min".  They came fast.  4cm, water bulging.  Broke waters.  Told them I needed to push. Got scoffed at.  11min later I was cuddling DD2.  biggrin.gif

#8 mama123

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I don't know for sure. Technically, she probably did all she had to. I had a similar experience with my 1st.

I had 5 different midwives. biggrin.gif

Anyway the one that was in the room for most of the time, didn't say anything as well. I had an epidural and could not stop shaking. Eventually it was time to change shifts and another older midwife came in. After a little while she looked at me and said to me "you know, if you just slow down your breathing, you won't shake and waste all your energy". I was a little panicked I guess, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. biggrin.gif

Well thank you very much! That's all I needed to know. The shaking almost stopped immediately!

I think full on coaching you through it would be ridiculous but a little tip now and again wouldn't hurt.

#9 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 21/12/2012, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think so. I was ok during the first stage, so I was pretty much left to myself with DP dozing on and off and occasionally running to get a middy if I needed something. I would have thought that if I wasn't coping, she would have helped. Although I wasn't coping at all during second stage and was treated a bit like a farm animal, so I don't know.

I guess part of the problem is that what is supportive for one woman isn't for another? I know I appreciated minimal noise, light and chatter. I couldn't have cared less what anyone had to say. In second stage, I think I needed the same, plus some positivity when I started having doubts. I think if you freak out, it can have bad implications for the birth, so surely part of it has to be about keeping you "coping"?

Yeah that's true. In hindsight and with this next baby I would have liked some more words of encouragement when the contractions got really bad, especially as I couldn't really be active or use water like I had hoped. I really wanted to avoid the epidural but in the end gave in because there was nothing on offer to me and I'd didnt know what to do. Like I said, my DH should have been the one providing encouragement but from conversations with my friend I was just curious if it was a midwives role to provide support as well.

I think next time I'm going to hire a doula!

#10 Goggie

In my experience, yes. I gave birth almost 4 months ago through a midwives program at a public hospital. I saw midwives the whole way through and an OB twice.

During labour I had a wonderful midwife who was passing me the gas and rubbing my back and talking me through it the whole way. My DH was on the other side wiping my brow and rubbing my back too. She was amazing. She calmed me down when I was screaming in agony and was there for all 4 hours of labour and only took a 10 min break. She stayed with us after he was born to help me shower and get myself organised before I went up to the ward.  She was inspiring and a true professional. I however, was a screaming mess  wink.gif  I will remember her til the day I die.

I'm sorry you had a crappy experience OP, you should absolutely feel supported during labour and it makes me sad that you didn't get that.

#11 BearBait

I gave birth at Freemasons in Melbourne in 2010 & 2012. The midwives were brilliant, but not intrusive. They watched & were available, when I asked for help they gave good advice, when I lost the plot they brought me back, when I needed to just get on with it they weren't fussing around. I think it depends on who you get, I was really happy. They were both more senior ladies too, had plenty of sage advice & clearly had seen it all.

#12 glowlight

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Mine just told me to breathe rather than scream. A bit hard to follow that advice after 20 plus hours of posterior labour. She left me to it for most of my time at the hospital and was out of the room until the pushing stage when I called her back in. She was awesome when DS was born though. She kept asking me what I wanted throughout but she was there to manage labour not hold me hand through it iykwim

#13 Soontobegran

I think midwives often take their cues from their patients Sunnycat because some like to be touched, massaged and rubbed and talked to and others like to be left alone with peace and quiet during the latent stage of labour with coaching just through the pushing phase.

I also gave consideration to how much support the partner is because sometimes they are doing such a fine job that a midwife feels intrusive.

There are some midwives who do struggle with this and knowing their bounderies which can make the patient feel a little neglected as you seem to have been. sad.gif
There is a huge difference when labour is not accompanied by continuous monitoring and an IV because these do need quite constant vigilance, I don't like it when a labour becomes all about the machines and not the person in labour.

Hopefully next time you'll have a more positive experience, if you can get to know your midwife before your delivery it will often mean you are more comfortable in each others company in labour.

#14 Feral-Lausii

I have very quick births and tend to go into my own little world where nothing and no one can penetrate it, unless they try to tell me what to do. So no, midwifes have been very unhelpful in most of my births, in fact some of them were just a pita trying to tell me to lay on my back and deliver and then not listening when I was telling them I was going to push baby out now. She told me not to be silly as she couldn't see baby  and turned her back on me to set the tray up. I delivered dd leaning over the back of the bed, it was lucky she fell onto the bed and not the floor.  mad.gif And this was the same midwife I told that all 4 previous births had worked to the exact same quick timetable and I was sure this one would be the same.

I swear if I ever have another baby I will just do it at home~!

#15 littlepickle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

well by mere definition a midwife is 'with woman' so yes they are there to support you.

They are there to ensure that you and your baby are both coping with labour.
They are there to communicate to you about what is happening to your body.
A good midwife is there when you need them but knows how to back off when you dont.
A midwife is there to help your partner to help you by showing them how to rub your back etc.
A good midwife hands you the vomit bowl ,gives you cold flannels for your face and makes you cups of sweet tea.

A good midwife shares in the excitement of the impending birth............

A great midiwfe can be the difference between a traumatic or empowering birth however it occurs.

You are entitled to ask for someone who will help you to achieve the birth you want.

good luck
littlepickle

#16 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

The two midwives who were there when I was pushing DS out were like my personal cheer squad, so I wonder if they provide different support during pushing and during contractions.

DS was posterior as well. All I wanted during contractions was to hug someone. I bout my soft toy monkey George to cuddle and at one point the midwife took him away to show the other midwives outside while my DH was throwing up in the loo!

Hopefully next time though I'll get to go to the Birth Centre and have my active water birth.

Edited by Sunnycat, 21 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#17 Avocado

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

The midwife assigned to me held my hand and rubbed my back. She would tell me when the next contraction was coming. Come to think of it i wouldn't have pulled through without her. I got lucky.

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (lynnemine @ 21/12/2012, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they are supposed to get the baby out safely and ensure the safety of the Mum.

I get what you are saying, but a freaked out mum can mean problems for her and baby. Eg. Because of what was happening (which I am not going in to), I completely lost the plot and I *think* that's why they did an episiotomy. With support, I strongly feel this would have been avoided. Also, some PTSD could have been avoided. Which had implications for my and DS's health. IYKWIM.

#19 roses99

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Mine ran away  laughing2.gif

No seriously, she did.

This was with my second. She was barely there in the early stages but, to be honest, I coped better at that stage just being on my own. Then, after a two hours of labour, I hopped out of the bath, onto the bed and told her I was ready to push. She told me I couldn't possibly be. I told her I was certain I was. She looked panic stricken and just said, "Well I need time to put my tray together". Lol. She examined me, saw that I was indeed about to give birth and ran away.

Thankfully, a much more experienced midwife arrived a few minutes later and took control of the situation. She called my OB, and really helped to put my mind at ease. She was very business-like, rather than hand-holding but that was just what I needed, especially when DD got a bit stuck and it all happened very quickly (DD was born less than half an hour after I felt the need to push).

With my first, the midwife was lovely. Not hugely big on hand-holding either (I think a doula is probably a great option if it's a birth coach you're after) but she was excellent. For me, I was most  comforted by the presence of my OB since I knew him well and trusted him.

#20 katiecoop

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I was booked at a public hospital birth centre and we were told at the initial info session and first appointment that the midwives would be in and out of the room - I guess I always expected they would be next to me, (figuratively) holding my hand through the whole thing. We hired a doula based on that info, although I was surprised that that was the case.
I would have been twice as surprised and disappointed if they hadn't mentioned it, and I hadn't thought to ask and they just weren't there the whole time.
Definitely get a doula! They are great, will do/say whatever you want them to during the contractions if you tell them beforehand.

#21 Roobear

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

DD's labour - I had brilliant midwives - they rubbed my back, offered heat packs/water/flannels. They gave me lots of sympathy which made me feel better lol. And told me that I was doing fantastically. When she left us she gave me and DP a hug, visited the next day to check on how we were doing.

DS's labour - She sat in a corner on the computer. The only things I remember her saying to me (and there is lots I don't remember so it is probably not accurate) was a told her my birth plan and she agreed, when I stood up and lent over the bed she told me I "should do whatever is natural to me" and then I remember her speaking very sternly to me when I was completely out of control saying "You are being silly, you need to pull yourself together and calm down".

She is actually the reason that I am going down the IM path for the next baby. If I could guarantee I would get midwives like DD's birth I would be very happy to go public again. I am just not willing to roll the dice and end up with a crap midwife like last time as it really effected me.

#22 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I did not want cheerleading but would have liked a practical suggestions on positioning every few hours. I was having a hard posterior labour and aside from having a birth ball rolled at me early on, did not receive any positioning suggestions at all. My midwives were totally passive in that regard.

I have changed to my public hospital for my next birth (VBAC attempt) and while I have heard the midwives are much more hands on at this hospital, I am hiring a doula just in case.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 21/12/2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The two midwives who were there when I was pushing DS out were like my personal cheer squad, so I wonder if they provide different support during pushing and during contractions.

I'd like to think that their level of support would vary according to need. The pushing stage requires a totally different type of support than first stage labour and even then this varies from mum to mum.
Some like to be quietly whispered to when it comes to pushing, others like the cheer squad and the counting.
A good midwife should be able to recognise what type of support you require and know when and how to get you back on track if necessary without the delivery suite sounding like a football match.
I admit I was better at it after I had delivered my own children. original.gif

#24 #LG

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (littlepickle @ 21/12/2012, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well by mere definition a midwife is 'with woman' so yes they are there to support you.

They are there to ensure that you and your baby are both coping with labour.
They are there to communicate to you about what is happening to your body.
A good midwife is there when you need them but knows how to back off when you dont.
A midwife is there to help your partner to help you by showing them how to rub your back etc.
A good midwife hands you the vomit bowl ,gives you cold flannels for your face and makes you cups of sweet tea.

A good midwife shares in the excitement of the impending birth............

A great midiwfe can be the difference between a traumatic or empowering birth however it occurs.

You are entitled to ask for someone who will help you to achieve the birth you want.

good luck
littlepickle

I would also add a good midwife doesn't leave just as you are about to push the baby out, regardless of whether her shift has finished! OP I would think it a bit heartless of your midwife not to stay for the birth when you were so close. With DD I had a 19 hour labour and my midwife that was with me for the last 8 hours of that stayed beyond the end of her shift to see DD born. I know it must become a bit humdrum after several hundred births, but that would have upset me and made me feel a bit irrelevant.

Edited by LifesGood, 21 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#25 Madeline's Mum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

My midwife was amazingly supportive, she was completely supportive of my birth plan, kept all the lights off, only monitored my intermittently when she needed to and always asked my permission first (I was induced), encouraged me to have showers or baths and have great words of encouragement to push me through transition.

She also knew how much I wanted to do it completely natural and during transition when I lost my zen and total focus she offered me an epidural knowing I would turn it down and give me the confidence to keep going.

She and my doula were so amazing, they made my birth choice possible and I am so grateful to them. It can make such a difference. I highly recommend a doula if you can afford it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.