how often do you do or buy things just for you

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I rarely do, which seems silly really.  I will see things for dh or the kids and have no second thoughts about it, but if its for me I question if I really need it .  today I indulged and bought myself a pot of jam I have been eyeing off for weeks and really enjoyed it for supper, but I feel guilty for spending $10 on jam just for me.  also things like underwear, clothes or a hair cut for me just get pushed to the bottom of the list priorities.  

maybe my new year resolution should be to make more time for me.

#2 Bob-the-skull

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

i used to be like this, especially when i was on a pension...

now i work and i have a partner who makes me feel like i am worth it (not saying yours doesn't but i have self esteem problems) i spend more money and time on myself...

most recently i brought myself a tablet (2nd hand and the boys can use it but it is mine) and an expensive dress instead of a cheap one... after all i am worth the time and money!

#3 Chocolate Addict

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

If it is something not too expensive I buy it when I want to. Admittedly my child gets much more than me but that is life. original.gif

I have a one hour massage once a month that is not negotiable. original.gif Have been doing that for years.

#4 Therese

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Not as much as I should. But I am getting better at it the older I get original.gif

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I rarely do, and DH does it even less than I do. For example, he got a gift certificate for over $450 to a pretty pricey shop(mens boots $400). He has told me to get DD8yrs some new clothes.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I hardly ever used to buy anything just for me. It's so easy for your own wants to get lost in the kids wants, and yours always come last.
Now my kids are grown up, I'm gradually starting to explore the things I want, although I usually ask for them for Christmas or birthdays. Sometimes I don't though....sometimes I just buy it!

This year I told my husband I really wanted an iPad for Christmas, but I couldn't really justify it. I have a MacBook Pro (Christmas 2 years ago), and an iPhone 4s (under contract with Telstra) and a Kindle....so an iPad seemed to be just a luxury I really didn't need. He said "Hon, you work really really hard, you've worked hard for years, if you want an iPad, we'll get you one!"

So guess what I'm getting from Santa???

#7 .Jerry.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Regularly.  I have time to myself each week and buy lots of things that I want.

#8 Foogle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Same as Jerry.  I want I buy (as does DH whenever he wants something).

#9 happening

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

.... all the time ...... ph34r.gif

I didn't lose me when I became a wife and mother.

#10 Jane Jetson

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

A lot. DH and I have an amount of money we are each allowed to spend on ourselves each month - this is budgeted for. Extra-budget stuff is fine if it's discussed, but small items like treat food we don't have to discuss. Also, I have a bad habit of buying books at airports.

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

All the time. In fact I wish I had more restraint.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not at the moment.  I want a nice top to wear on Christmas day and I can't find a single thing I like.

Spare money is ploughed back into the business or used to pay down debits.  I grew up in a very frugal household and splurging just feels strange and decadent.

#13 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have a shopping problem and a huge WWE collection, need I say more.

#14 TwoHeadedGirl

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Our budget doesn't really stretch beyond essentials at the moment but even when it does it goes on the kids first, then DH and if there's anything left, me. I can't remember the last time I had my haircut or bought anything just because I wanted it.

Hopefully things will look up for us in the New Year and I might actually get a chance to look after myself too.

#15 rjflc69

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Kids always come first and DH second - my choice as i feel i dont need anything. I nearly always spend vouchers I receive for my birthday on the kids for Christmas presents etc  ph34r.gif (not that i disclose that to the generous people who give them to me) and the small amount of pay I receive monthly goes to pay school fees.

#16 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Often. I'm worth it. biggrin.gif

#17 Mille-Mille

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Every weekend I usually spend too much money on myself and DD.  I don't get myself in debt but i'm not saving thats for sure.
Now I just started maternity leave and will only be getting half pay for awhile so I have to tighten up sad.gif

I love buying stuff original.gif

#18 Curly Wurly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Almost never until recently. I really wanted to start swimming but have had a nagging injury.  I jump when the kids need to go to the doctor/physio/chiro but never for myself. I finally go myself to the physio and feel so much better for doing it, it was quite liberating actually and I am really enjoying swimming and doing something worthwhile just for me.

Edited by Curly Wurly, 21 December 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#19 *LucyE*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

It's all about perspectives, isn't it?

I would say I regularly indulge myself - magazines, take away coffees, eating out, gourmet foods etc. However, DH regularly comments that I should treat myself more. I haven't had a hair cut in over 6 months but I haven't felt like I needed one either. I don't buy jewelry either. The last handbag I bought was about a year ago (but boy was it a doozy).

And vice versa. I would say DH rarely does/buys anything just for himself and he feels lucky that I don't mind him playing golf multiple times each week.

I think when we are feeling nourished, we don't feel like we're missing out, iykwim?

#20 -Emissary-

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

All the time.

I guess it's the plus side of not having a partner to explain why you just dropped $500 on a bag or really need that new pair of shoes that might or might look like one you already have.  wink.gif

#21 The Awesome One

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

It's rare, I take DS1 to the movies most holidays does that count? I love disney movies  original.gif

#22 snuffles

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I honestly don't feel I need to usually.  I am not a 'things' person.  I buy takeaway coffee most days and I have a gym membership, they are my 'just for me' things.

I easily get overwhelmed by 'stuff', especially stuff without a purpose (as I see it), I mean, why on earth would I need more than 4 pairs of pants, LOL.  Definitely not a jewellery person either, don't wear makeup, have long hair that gets trimmed about once a year, love my greys and hate hair colour anyway.... you get the idea.

The gym membership was one of the best decisions ever, it's $15 a week and it is beyond worth it's weight in gold.  original.gif

#23 BadCat

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've never been much of a spender, even in my carefree single days.  I probably buy less for myself now but I think that's because there isn't much I really want.  I don't buy random stuff for the kids or DH either.

#24 Cherish

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

I buy things I want for myself all the time. But Only if we can afford it and I over think most purchases to the point where I talk myself out of them all the time.

My husband doesn't buy much for himself at all. A couple of PS3 games a year and a few cartons/bottles of grog.

#25 JRA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Whenever I want. From the op I probably would say I rarely buy things for Dh, he knows what he wants and buys it for himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The popular baby name from the Rio Olympics

"With a pair of athletes who are not only successful, but seen as great role models – combined with a softer sound – it is like hitting the jackpot."

Toy stuck in baby's throat for two weeks

When Jude Atiga's baby son Laith was struggling to breathe the worried mum called an ambulance.

Mum awarded $20 million over birth power struggle with nurses

As a mother of three, Caroline Malatesta thought she knew what she was letting herself in for when it came to the birth of her fourth baby.

Win a Baby Jogger City Premier for Father's Day

To celebrate Father's Day, one lucky EB fan will win one of their own! Enter Now!

'There's a giant picture of BOOBS but I can not feed my child'

A mum was ushered out of an US department store's underwear section after discreetly breastfeeding her baby.

Why fatherhood scares many dads-to-be

Travis Bull vividly remembers discovering his partner was pregnant for the first time.

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

Warning for pregnant women as flu-related deaths triple

A more than three-fold increase in flu-related deaths has sparked a plea for those with the flu to stay away from vulnerable people.

I'm trying to keep my child-free friends in my life, but it's tough

I tried to prove to my single friends that I was the same I'd always been. But marriage did change me - and motherhood has, too

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Too many parents still putting babies in unsafe bedding: study

A study found that a whopping 91 per cent of four-week-old babies had been placed in cots with unsafe bedding.

Mum's shock as toddler fat-shamed by internet trolls

When a mother uploaded a cute photograph of her 14-month old child online, she did not expect a swarm of internet trolls to write that her toddler was fat.

How an Aldi staff member made one exhausted mum's day

It was a simple act of kindness, but one that made an exhausted mother's day.

The most awww-worthy celeb baby pics of the week

It's been a pretty cute week on Instagram in terms of celebs relishing their babies.

When 'Just Do It' just doesn't cut it

When even Michelle Bridges admits to struggling with her exercise regime, it's time to accept that having small children can be a legitimate reason for exercise not happening.

What life is really like when you have five kids

Life is cute with one, manageable with three, but at times completely impossible with five.

When no one can pronounce your baby's name

In Wales it's a common name, but over here, it's cause for some confusion.

Dad shares horror tale after Roomba's run-in with dog poop

It's the poop story that's been shared hundreds of thousands of times around the world.

How a homemade wheelchair is giving baby Evelyn freedom

Like all one-year-olds, Evelyn Moore is keen to get moving and explore the world around her. But a battle with aggressive cancer left the little girl paralysed from the waist down.

Single to double pram that folds with seat attached

A pram is a large purchase, and you only want to buy once.

Mum-to-be surprises husband with big news in joy-filled photoshoot

When Bri Dow learnt that she was expecting, she immediately knew she wanted to break the news to her husband Brandon in a special way.

Blake Lively: 'Post-pregnancy slim down pressure is so unfair'

Blake Lively has urged women not to feel pressured to lose weight after pregnancy.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

5 ways having a baby is different when you have older children

So much parenting advice is geared towards having your first baby, but what's it like having a baby when you already have children?

You can now make your own plush Falkor

Fans of The NeverEnding Story – of which there are certainly plenty – went crazy for these plush Falkors when they first went on sale last year.

Baby steps

10 things that will actually happen after having a baby

I thought I had prepared myself for motherhood. Then my baby girl arrived and knocked everything flat.

Having a baby: expectations vs reality

People love to warn you about what to expect when having a baby, but they can be way off when it comes to the reality.

Are we having fun yet? Thinking positively as a parent

Motherhood is wonderful ... except when it sucks.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

When breastfeeding doesn't go with the flow

Breast is best, except when it's not. And in our case, it most definitely wasn't.

'If you don't vaccinate your kids you're a bloody idiot'

The photos are heartbreaking and almost too difficult to look at, but Kayley Burke is begging other parents to take notice.

Why pregnant women should eat chocolate

In news that will make expectant mums jump for joy - and reach for a block of Cadbury - scientists have revealed chocolate could provide health benefits during pregnancy.

The baby born with an incredible head of hair

If you're in any way challenged in the follicle department, prepare to feel a jolt of envy - at a two-month-old baby.

The push for Medicare to fund lactation consultants

While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Help! My baby will only sleep in my arms

It's stressful to be the one who is holding your baby most of the day, but it's even more stressful to wonder, 'am I doing something wrong? Or am I creating bad habits?'

ENTER NOW

Win one of two Father's Day Gift Packs

Sign up to receive our new Essential Kids announcements emails for a chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.