Swimming pool with no fence!

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Green Door

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The people that live behind us have just built a new home and moved in about 3 weeks ago. the last week they had a inground pool put in and fill, they have 3 small kids and the pool still has no fence.

They leave pools toys in the pool over night ,which I think would just make the kids want to get in the pool more.  So today I called out local council, I was shocked that they told me to give it till after xmas and see if they have put up a fence. Because its  a new pool they may still be arranging a fence.

I think they should have waited till the fence was up before filling it.

I worry because if that were my kids they would be so excited about the new house and new pool it would be hard to keep them out of it.

Who else can I call. I have 3 small children myself, this pool is making me very uneasy.

#2 Becky Thatcher

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

OP, can your kids get to the pool?

#3 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

I don't know the answer sorry but this would make me feel very uneasy too!!

#4 HollyOllyOxenfree

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'd keep calling council to be honest. That response from them is disgusting, and really just sounds like they couldn't be bothered sending someone out before christmas. I'd also be taking names of who you speak to and who tells you to "leave it until after christmas". Imagine if something were to happen and the council had a wait and see attitude?

#5 Green Door

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

My 5 year can get over the fence, but he never has, today both my 4 year and 5 year noticed the pool. I don't think he would. but thats not to say he won't

#6 Green Door

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 21/12/2012, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd keep calling council to be honest. That response from them is disgusting, and really just sounds like they couldn't be bothered sending someone out before christmas. I'd also be taking names of who you speak to and who tells you to "leave it until after christmas". Imagine if something were to happen and the council had a wait and see attitude?

I was so shocked when I called, Last night I could hardy sleep knowing they have kids. The kids are in the pool right now,
I think you are right about no wanting to send someone out, Our council shuts down today till after new years I think, I am going to call back now to see who else I can talk to

#7 3plusme

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi

I just wanted to say, that we put a new pool in this year and our council told us to put up a temporary fence when there was water in the pool.

We have 3 small children.  I was not going to risk it and we hired a temporary fence.

Your council are not taking the matter seriously, make more of a fuss with them.

#8 Becky Thatcher

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 21/12/2012, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 5 year can get over the fence, but he never has, today both my 4 year and 5 year noticed the pool. I don't think he would. but thats not to say he won't

Oh dear.
I agree with Holly, I think it is just laziness close to Christmas. Ring them back and ask for names and say you will be keeping a record. A law is a law no matter what. Imagine if you said to a policeman "Oh sorry I was not wearing a seatbelt, you didn't have to in the 1940's" or something like that.

I know councils are going into Christmas mode at the moment but it is no excuse.

#9 3plusme

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

posting again to add.. I just read the thread on water safety about hannah's story.  If the council is closed, ring the police.  It is breaking the law if you don't have a fence.

Gosh, people are so stupid.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I would maybe pop over to welcome them to the neighbourhood and somehow slip it into conversation.  Did the council know they'd had one installed?

Edited after OP added - if your child could get over the fence, I'd go over and be direct.  Tell them your child can get over the boundary fence and ask when the pool will be fenced.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 21 December 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#11 Green Door

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (3plusme @ 21/12/2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
posting again to add.. I just read the thread on water safety about hannah's story.  If the council is closed, ring the police.  It is breaking the law if you don't have a fence.

This is how I felt the day they filled it, I was really mad ranting to DH about how people think things will never happen to them. I really want to call over the fence and tell them I think they are risking the childrens life but DH told me that was over the top.
On hold to council now.

#12 LucidDream

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I would take a photo of the pool, reiterate what the council person said, and send it to them, cc'ing the council CEO. dev (6).gif

You could contact Kidsafe for advice.  Also the local paper could be interested in this.

#13 niggles

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

The problem as I see it, and maybe this what the council is thinking, is the best they can do would be issue a fine and order fencing to be installed. It's going to take time for the fence to be constructed. So the reality is that there isn't really much anyone can do to fix their stupid mistake of filling the pool before the fence is constructed. I'm not sure but it can't be emptied can it? And even a temporary fence would take time to arrange and install and I'm not sure whether that would meet standards.

I'm sorry you are in such a stressful situation. I think you should talk to the neighbours and continue to apply pressure to the council. If you get no response from them I would contact your local MP. I can't think who else would get involved.

#14 mards

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

We had to erect a TEMP fence prior to any water going in - IT IS THE LAW!! - it was included in getting the pool quote!!

RING THE COUNCIL NOW!! _ they should be all over it!! ring until you get action

Temp fence takes about half hour to put up!! not long you can hire from any Active hire etc etc

Edited by mards, 21 December 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#15 bark

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Go and introduce yourselves to them and bring it up civilly, not yelling over the fence.

#16 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I would keep following it up with the council. That is shocking.

#17 WithSprinkles

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Our friends built last year and got a pool.They had to have temporary fences up as soon as the pool was filled.

They moved in just before Christmas and couldn't get anyone to come out and do the permanent fencing until the end of January so the temporary fencing was up for quite a number of weeks.

I wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot with the neighbours, so if the council isn't willing to do anything I'd just go over and let them know that your DS can climb over the fence and you're concerned (maybe take some treats over as well to butter them up wink.gif)

ETA - it's pretty poor of the council to not even bother contacting them about getting a temporary fence. They may be organising a permanent fence but a lot of tradies have a break over Christmas/early Jan so it is likely that it will be this way for a number of weeks.

Edited by VanillaIcecream, 21 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#18 Tigerdog

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'd keep calling council to be honest. That response from them is disgusting, and really just sounds like they couldn't be bothered sending someone out before christmas.

This.  And I'm with you, the fence well and truly should have been put up before the pool was filled.  They need to at least force them to get a temporary fence put up, as a PP stated.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

It the pool against the boundary fence your child can climb over?

#20 kelsey82

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 21/12/2012, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The people that live behind us have just built a new home and moved in about 3 weeks ago. the last week they had a inground pool put in and fill, they have 3 small kids and the pool still has no fence.

They leave pools toys in the pool over night ,which I think would just make the kids want to get in the pool more.  So today I called out local council, I was shocked that they told me to give it till after xmas and see if they have put up a fence. Because its  a new pool they may still be arranging a fence.

I think they should have waited till the fence was up before filling it.

I worry because if that were my kids they would be so excited about the new house and new pool it would be hard to keep them out of it.

Who else can I call. I have 3 small children myself, this pool is making me very uneasy.

That sounds a little strange to me.
I'd ring council again to check the person you talked to had it right. In our area, the council doesn't permit pools to be filled until the fencing meets the standards. I know a couple who aren't allowed to fill their pool until the fence line is altered at the back of their property.

#21 JRA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (kelsey82 @ 21/12/2012, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds a little strange to me.
I'd ring council again to check the person you talked to had it right. In our area, the council doesn't permit pools to be filled until the fencing meets the standards. I know a couple who aren't allowed to fill their pool until the fence line is altered at the back of their property.

I agree

#22 Frockme

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

How did you go with council?

I would talk to your neighbours. It doesn't have to be an aggressive confrontation. Tell them you're concerned, ask when a fence is going in etc, ask when the temp. fence is being delivered wink.gif etc.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

#23 baddmammajamma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 21/12/2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh dear.
I agree with Holly, I think it is just laziness close to Christmas. Ring them back and ask for names and say you will be keeping a record. A law is a law no matter what. Imagine if you said to a policeman "Oh sorry I was not wearing a seatbelt, you didn't have to in the 1940's" or something like that.

I know councils are going into Christmas mode at the moment but it is no excuse.

QUOTE (3plusme @ 21/12/2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OP, I hope you were able to get through to someone -- if not the counsel, then the police.

There is no excuse that your neighbors could possibly have that makes this situation ok.

#24 NSG

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Why not just speak to them directly? It is not unreasonable to ask given you have small children. Keep calm and polite. If they are reasonable people I am sure it can be solved quite quickly. They may even have fence parts on order.

You must however live in a different area to us. We are currently in the middle of a garden reno including a pool and the pool company themselves AND the certifier come to inspect our fence before making the final connections to the pump and filter (i.e no point putting water in if it is just going to sit there getting filthy).

#25 *cough*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to put up a temp fence. Also pretty sure it has to be filed ASAP for structural/engineering reasons. I think. I could be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.