Wanting presents that are not age appropriate

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Excluding presents that are not age appropriate because there is a safety issue, if your child really wanted something for Christmas that wasn't really for their age, would you have an issue buying it for them? Would it make a difference if the toy in question was for a much older age group or a much younger age group?

#2 ILBB

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

DD wants an item that we know she wont really be that "into" so we are getting her the item (DS) and something else that we know she will like as well.  We are getting it for her as her Brother is getting one and I am sure at some point in the future she will play with it.  We are suckers and want an easy life!   xmas_cool.gif
Edited to add - she will look after it - that is not the problem - she is just not that into computer type games - but because her Brother wants one - she does too!

Edited by ILBB, 20 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#3 CupOfCoffee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

It would really depend.

If my 3 year old wanted hitman absolution for the PS3, I would say no...

If my 3 year old wanted a lego set for 6 year olds, I would buy it.

If my 14 year old wanted beer, I would say no.

If my 14 year old wanted a teddy, I would say yes.

If my 14 year old wanted hitman absolution (MA15+) I would say yes

#4 namie

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

If it was something for a younger age group than the child requesting I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't like to go too many years older.

DS1 (3yrs) is desperate for Lego but he's just not quite ready and with DS2 (21 months) following him everywhere, I'm not prepared to get any yet.

I've shown him the age ranges on the boxes and pointed out that he's only 3 but the boxes say 5 - 7 (or whatever) and he's fine with that for now. Actually, he's noticing age ranges on everything now, even to the extent of saying 'Mum, when I'm 12 I can have that enormous Lego!' and 'Maybe when I'm 26 I can  drive a car' (that was a bit random, no idea where that came from, lol!).

He knows that Duplo is for his age and we make sure we get lots of play time out of that.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (The 7 Dwarfs @ 20/12/2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excluding presents that are not age appropriate because there is a safety issue, if your child really wanted something for Christmas that wasn't really for their age, would you have an issue buying it for them? Would it make a difference if the toy in question was for a much older age group or a much younger age group?

Depending on the object they wouldnt get it and I would just either say no (now that they are older) or tell them that Santa wont bring it because Santa knows that mummy has already said no (when they were younger).   In both instances I would tell them that its not appropriate for them because they were not adults or older.  If if was a couple of years out, I would promise at a certain age that we would talk about it again.   ie: DS desperately wants a TV in his room.  We dont like TVs in kids rooms but have told him when he is 13 we will have another conversation about it.    He stopped nagging me when I told him that if he keeps mentioning it, it wont happen at all.

If you are talking about getting a teen a pillow pet (for example) then I wouldnt care and would probably roll my eyes at them, but I would get it for them.

It really does depend on the object of their desire.

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

My Grandmother gave me a proper hand held electric mixer for my 6th Birthday because I liked cooking.

We were a safety conscious home but I was allowed to use that mixer whenever I wanted to - because it was mine! I never hurt myself, and I took it with me when I left home.

I really appreciated my interest being taken 'seriously' by her.  A little kiddy mixing bowl set would have been patronising!

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

For something like Lego the ages are a guide only.

My 5yo happily builds the 12+ aged Lego stuff by himself.

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

DP.

Edited by lsolaBella, 20 December 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#9 LookMumNoHands

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

6 yo DS is getting a Lego set for Christmas that is recommended for 16yo +. I have no problem with that, and he'll probably have it completed in time for plum pudding  happy.gif . He's also getting a PS3 game that is rated 8+, but not because of violence, because of the difficulty level. He'll also be fine with that present.

5yo DS I wouldn't, because he's totally different, and would struggle with presents not age appropriate.

#10 BadCat

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

As long as the content is age appropriate, so not too sexualised or violent, then I don't worry about age reccommendations.  I go by whether I think my child will get use and enjoyment out of it.  That tends to rule out things that are well below their age group as well because they really aren't likely to enjoy them as more than a passing novelty.

#11 Jembo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

It would depend what it is, I tend to use the age appropriate as a guide.  For instance both lego and playdough are something both my kids had well before the age appropriate age.

If we are talking a game or DVD rated M for my 10 yr old, no.

#12 Charri36

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I bought something far to young for my DS15 (16 on boxing day) He picked it out, it's a blow up....

turtle for our pool. You sit on it, has a picture of a 3yo on it, he desperately wanted it. If he want's to be silly and request a blow up turtle so be it. ps - I bought him a beach towel with green turtles on it too (adult not kiddle), he will laugh so much when he gets it.

#13 Feral timtam

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Charri36 @ 20/12/2012, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought something far to young for my DS15 (16 on boxing day) He picked it out, it's a blow up....

Am I juvenile for thinking it was one of those blow up squeaky hammers?
Those are so much fun and banned from our house because I can't trust DH with them.

As to my kids wanting age inappropriate presents, if it's for a younger age group I'll get it, if it's for an older group the answer is usually heck no.
DS1 has asked for "a blanket like 'Anna's", one of those plush baby blankets with satin trim from Best and Less. Unfortunately he asked after all the Christmas shopping had been finished, so whether he gets one for Christmas or not is dependant on how up to tackling the shops I am on Monday.

#14 FeralMalinki

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I'm a stickler for following age restrictions on things with small pieces.  Both my kids are/were obsessed with putting everything in their mouth.

DD is now 4 and that isn't such an issue, but she's only allowed to play with smaller items when the 1 year old is in a different room.

As far as movies go, I don't have a problem with a bit of mild crude humor that goes over their heads, but I don't like anything violent.  

DD loves board games, and is pretty good at them, so she will be getting some 6+ ones.

#15 Buggylicious

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Depends on the child and the gift DS (4) wanted some lego sets that were for age ranges 7+. I told him Santa won't get them but he would get him ones that say 5 because he knows he will be 5 before next Christmas. I told him that because the bigger ones were way out of his ability range, honestly he isn't even up to the stage of lego and should still be using duplo. DP builds everything for him and he just plays with them.

DD gets things that are for older age ranges but being the younger sibling she seems to be growing up much faster trying to keep up with her brother.

#16 mez70

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I guess it depends on what the gift is and more importantly who and why it is wanted.

DS2 this year has a thing for Garbage trucks and has wanted the lego City Garbage truck for AGES so Santa is bringing it knowing that DH will have to assemble it, yet DS plays with his brother and sisters Lego often so I am not worried as such.. He would love an Ipod as well mind you he is NOT getting one lol... Mind you he has access to mine which is loaded with stuff for him anyway..

#17 EBeditor

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Slightly off topic, but this is a wonderful toy garbage truck for 2+:
http://www.amazon.com/WOW-Flip-Tip-Fred-Se...e/dp/B000F44PGQ

Both my children have played with it for years and it's still very sturdy.

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (SlinkyMalinki @ 20/12/2012, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a stickler for following age restrictions on things with small pieces.  Both my kids are/were obsessed with putting everything in their mouth.

DD is now 4 and that isn't such an issue, but she's only allowed to play with smaller items when the 1 year old is in a different room.

As far as movies go, I don't have a problem with a bit of mild crude humor that goes over their heads, but I don't like anything violent.  

DD loves board games, and is pretty good at them, so she will be getting some 6+ ones.

My DS2 at 5 yrs I still have to tell him Lego does not go in the mouth. DD at three is also an oral fixator. She still comes into e crying that her dummy is gone... It went over a year ago.

#19 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

DS (5) wants - and will be getting - Skylanders, which I think is rated for ages 10+ for the game and 6+ for the toys, so the answer is a partial yes. He also shows interest in toys that are for much younger children sometimes, and I will buy them.
Basically it would be on a case by case basis.

#20 kabailz13

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

My kids share in toys, movies and everything I suppose that covers a wide range of ages.

My 4 and 6 year olds love Jurassic Park and my 11 year old still loves little petshop!

Within reason, we oblige. I wouldn't get my 6 or 11 year olds baby toys simply because they would be a very short lived fad but other than that, most things are up for discussion.

James often gets Lego sets aimed at 12+ simply because he is into Lego. Ellie shows very little interest in that sort of thing so she doesn't get those sorts of toys.

#21 notorico

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

It depends on the present and the kid. My DS is getting the Lego Monster Fighters Haunted House for Christmas which is recommended for 14+ and he is 7. He is very good at lego though and I think he will be able to manage it on his own or with only a little help. He also wants an ipad, which I would prefer to wait until his older his teenage brothers are getting one each and he will probably be put out but his time will come for that.

#22 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

My DD almost 8 wants a Dora toy that looks more suited for me 2 year old DS. I did get it for her as she is getting 3 other presents and it wasn't the main one, but I  kept looking at it as I was wrapping thinking I should take it back, but I guess if she doesn't enjoy it for too long, then she has younger brothers who will get use out of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.