Facebook envy
Do you get it? How to get over it?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 3rd time lucky

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think I'm turning into a grunmpy old hag...

I've noticed I'm starting to get grumpy and envious of friend's facebook updates etc, instead of thinking 'wow, what great news for them'....

My own life is great... of course there's the usual stresses of finances over Christmas, kids bugging me haha.... but certainly no worse / harder than any other family.... And I'm sure others would look at my life and think I've got it great.

I think what annoys me is people bragging on facebook. If I chat to a friend in real life and they tell me about some good news I am genuinely happy for them. It's more the 'I'm posting about how wonderful my life is on Facebook for all to see' updates that seem to irk me.

Anyways, anyone else feel this way????? How do you deal with it, short of getting rif of facebook?
I'm not on it much but do need it to stay in touch with certain people interstate and overseas.

#2 steppy

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have a hard and fast rule when reading facebook updates - if anyone is continually posting yaypositive updates, there is something wrong in their life that they are publicly trying to cover or make up for. Haven't been wrong yet.

I do get jealous of friends who travel a lot though. Nothing I can do about that except try and travel more!

#3 Satay Chicken

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (3rd time lucky @ 20/12/2012, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyways, anyone else feel this way?????

Not really - I just laugh because most of it is just fake and attention seeking!

I have a FB friend and every second day she goes on about how fabulous her life is, photos of her walking on the beach, drinking her wine etc.... actually, she just comes across as really bored...

#4 mandarins

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

No. I never envy what I see on FB because it is well known that people only share what they want to about their lives. And even if you ask someone in real life how its going, they will often do the same.

And if someone is a bragger, then take that to mean they 'feel a need' to show off. And if it bothers you that much just unfriend or block them.

#5 CupOfCoffee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (steppy @ 20/12/2012, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a hard and fast rule when reading facebook updates - if anyone is continually posting yaypositive updates, there is something wrong in their life that they are publicly trying to cover or make up for.

You can tell how sad my life is when my last yay update was: 'yay, no more overdue library book, I love the amnesty'.

Not sure it would make people jealous, it would just confirm how dull my life actually is laugh.gif

#6 Tesseract

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (steppy @ 20/12/2012, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a hard and fast rule when reading facebook updates - if anyone is continually posting yaypositive updates, there is something wrong in their life that they are publicly trying to cover or make up for. Haven't been wrong yet.

Exactly this. The more someone posts about how wonderful their life is, the worse it is in reality. In fact when friends start going on about how great things are I know they're on the downhill slope. The odd yay post here and there is fine, but much more and they're only trying to convince one person - themselves. Just hide their statuses if they're annoying you.

#7 SophieBear

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

The travelling friends annoy me. But then again I do it while away too.

I had a cousin who was in Paris and she wrote her status, "Went up the Eiffel Tower, walked along the Champs Elysse and went for a cruise on the Seine. What did you do today?" and then the next day "Paris is amazing, so much to do. Go out and live your lives people, stop looking at mine".

Honestly! I am jealous but she looked like a giant t*at. So I unfriended her.

ETA: The funniest thing is when ppl are at a party saying how awesome it is but then post heaps of pictures that night and have conversations on FB. Sitting on your phone all night doesn't seem like that party is too exciting/fun to me!

Edited by SophieBeagle, 20 December 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#8 lorywhol

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Really?

How about just feeling happy for someone when they are happy? Or compassionate for someone when they are sad?

I don't know anyone who is positive all the time on FB.

Everyone goes through stages and phases.

You celebrate with them when they are having their glass of wine, relaxing at the beach or bragging about their latest purchase.

And you commiserate with them when their kids are being cheeky, they have had an argument or a bad day at work.

#9 Peridot

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Wow she does sound like a t*at!

Most of my friends have just as many depressing statuses as happy ones, so I have no envy!

It does irk me when a few of them complain non stop about having no money and how crap their lives are..

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Why do people take FB so seriously?

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm equally jealous in person as I am on Facebook!

I don't have a vast array of FB friends though, they are just my real friends so I just roll with it.

If someone has posted a 'Look at me!' status I just hide it. Or call them out on it! (as I said before my FB friends are my real life friends, so I can do that without fearing the response.)

#12 snuffles

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

The only thing that irks me a bit is when friends who have told me that they are too busy to catch up at the moment (which would be fine), then post on facebook about all having gotten together for a social function of some sort or another without me.  (The ones who are local to me, not the ones interstate and overseas, lol).  I think I need *some* new friends.

#13 Overtherainbow

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don't like the constant whinge on fb from some people.  They always look at situations from 1/2 empty perspective and only write the downs.

I only put the positives.  It does not mean my life is all good. It means I want to only focus on the good.  I assume others on fb are doing the same.

#14 BadCat

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just recognise that most people, unless they are extremely boring, only post the best and worst bits of their lives.  For every "yay I just went skiing" there's dozens of times where they just did the washing up that they don't bother posting about.

#15 whatnamenow

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Eh, i mostly look at facebook like a job interview, your only ever going to hear the good stuff.  My really close friends created a secret closed group where we post status's with the real stuff.  What goes on my wall is sanitized because of the wide variety of 'friends' that see it.  Family, friends and work dont all need to see/know the same level of stuff going on in my life.

#16 Wigglemama

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

LOL don't worry OP, I took someone off my news feed as I was sick of her gloating about her amazing kids, life , cars, new houses, stupendous career, where she earnt loads of money, travelling all over the world to beautiful, exotic locations but still missing her gorgeous (he's not) hubby.

It wasn't that I was jealous of her, just that she was annoying and her gloating made her sound like a huge tool. I couldn't delete because her so called "gorgeous" hubby is a friend of my dh.

Edited by Wigglemama, 20 December 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#17 Jax12

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 20/12/2012, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm equally jealous in person as I am on Facebook!

Me too!  original.gif

QUOTE (Overtherainbow @ 20/12/2012, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like the constant whinge on fb from some people.  They always look at situations from 1/2 empty perspective and only write the downs.

I only put the positives.  It does not mean my life is all good. It means I want to only focus on the good.  I assume others on fb are doing the same.

I agree with this - not a fan of the constant whingeing, woe is me posts.  

I have seen some pretty gratuitous  bragging on FB but I don't see anything wrong with sharing good news or focusing on the positive.  

Sorry to hear you're feeling affected by FB...maybe take a few days off?

#18 Nora.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I seriously don't get the snarkiness that so many EB'ers have over FB. Either you're a seriously miserable bunch or you need to choose your friends better.

Honestly, nobody on my FB is over the top when it comes to what they post. Just day to day stuff. If they're having a good time then I'm genuinely happy for them. They may be like me, and prefer not to use FB as a whinging platform. I generally only post positive stuff. I'm not trying to pretend my life is perfect or be somebody I'm not, I just don't feel the need to share that my husband has shat me because he never picks up his clothes, the kids are whining, we can't pay our bills etc. I'd rather say we had a fab day in the city, I'm proud of my children for doing XYZ, I'm loving the weather etc.

I see so much bitterness towards FB on EB. It's totally unnecessary.

#19 jai*

I have just posted on FB this week about being able to go to Paris next year.
I don't post about the daily struggles I have with infertility.

So yes, my FB is a very positively skewed look at my life.

While I was in NYC an old school friend posted "it looks like you havea fabulous life!" - this did upset me a little, because I would kill for her life as a mother. And I responded honestly - back to the boring routine and every day problems soon!

But I prefer to keep my problems to myself. Even in real life.

#20 ~TSC~

Not so much FB but I do see a lot of things on blogs and IG that can make me feel dissatisfied with what I have.  I have a friend who on the surface everything looks perfect but I know it is far from it - it's a bit lesson I have learnt this year

#21 boatiebabe

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I would not be envious about people's fantasy facebook lives.  wink.gif

#22 Magnus

The PPs comment about why we can't just be happy for people does make me think.

I am actually happy for people when they seem genuine and they post positive things, even if it's something I'm really jealous of like overseas travel. And there is A LOT of overseas travel going on on my fb feed at the moment and it's all the exciting destination sort, not the more banal visiting family kind.

There are just a few people who really irk me. It might just be the way I was brought up to not be boastful. When I was an undergraduate student I would never have dreamed of posting that I got all high distinctions that semester, but I have fb friends who do that every single semester, in a really self-congratulatory way.

I think that if people usually seem genuine then I'm really happy for them if they say something really soppy about their relationship, or talk about their great job, or their fantastic body, or their overseas travel, or whatever. However, when people talk these things up all the time, I find it kind of nauseating. If I wanted to make myself feel good by recognising my achievements, then I might share a few on fb and save the rest for a diary, or for sharing with close friends and family.

I also can't stand the ones who whinge constantly or use fb to demand favours of people all the time.

#23 Ally'smum

Ha ha, I wouldn't believe anything I read on FB.

We have one person who posts something about how great her life is every day, we are waiting for the breakdown that we know is coming...

The other one lives in a really bad area and is sick of friends and relos badmouthing it, so puts up photos of the park, the lake etc saying how much she loves it. This one I think is more of an F U to people in her life who tell her how bad it is so I think it is fair enough.

Think about it, if people's lives were so great! and fun! and fantastic! wouldn't they just be enjoying it rather than logging on to the internet all the time?

#24 Nora.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Who says they're logging on all the time?

When I was having a fab time in Paris (don't worry, I don't recall bragging about it), I still had time to go online. Waiting for my family to get ready, when I had insomnia, sitting in a cab, train, bus going somewhere. Why can't you be having fun & still use FB?

#25 ekbaby

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

90% of what I post on Facebook is positive but i don't think that's because I've got some huge secret problem in my life. I mean I have the same problems as many people (money tight, cranky kids, not enough time) but i don't see Facebook as a forum to whinge about those things. If I need support I prefer to speak to a friend in person or one on one. I see Facebook as a bit of lightweight fun and the equivalent of the things you'd tell relos when you catch up with them at Christmas- the nice things, snapshots of the kids etc. Most of the "positive" things I put up are pretty simple like a pic of the kids enjoying water play, something new I cooked, a funny story...I never thought it might be coming across as trying to brag, I just like to keep it mostly light and positive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.