Very Heavy Periods

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Ms_Jae

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have had enough! Ever since I have had my period since early age.. They have been so damn heavy.. Had my baby and again back to the heavy periods.. I am so so sick of this..
I cant do anything.. I stand and i can feel it flowing and have to rush to the toilet to change, not only my pad but clothing as it gets on them too.. Constantly changing everyday.. Makes going out a nightmare for me and I rather stay home..

What can I do about this? It is driving me insane.. Sorry for TMI  sad.gif

#2 Velouria

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hey there

If you have completed your family a uteral ablation may be the answer. Sounds gruesome but I had this done and it lightens your periods considerably and is often used for this purpose (the lining of your uterus is burnt away resulting in much less bleeding if at all in some cases).

Talk to your GP or Gynaecologist, there may be methods of birth control that lessen flow as well.

#3 Fossy

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

What has your gynae said? Have they diagnosed any issues? Heavy periods suck, I feel your pain!

#4 davalli

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I know exactly how you feel....I too suffered extremely heavy periods throughout my teenage years....so much so that I went on the deprovera injection all throughout my 20's.   I never had a period for 10 years....and although I would never recommend this to anyone....it was absolute bliss!!  Now in my 30's and off the deprovera injection and ttc...the heavy periods have returned mad.gif  I have subsequently been diagnosed with PCOS which is the underlying problem with my heavy periods.....something you might want to investigate yourself??  You should discuss it with your doctor and have some blood tests to determine if you have any hormonal imbalances.  If you are not planning another bub anytime soon, birthcontrol pills/implants are meant to help.  I'm ttc so birthcontrol is out of the question for me, and therefore this is something I must live with every month.  Sorry if TMI...but I 'survive' by using incontinence pads (tena or poise) instead of normal pads and for those really heavy couple of days, I actually fold a couple of viva papertowels into 3rds and lay them ontop of the pads for that extra absorbsion....again, sorry if TMI, but it works for me..

#5 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

On the milder side, look into menstrual cups. I have very heavy periods, and menstrual cups have completely changed things for me. I no longer fear my period like I used to. I can now be away from a toilet for a couple of hours, too, because the combo of a cup and a pad will give me that long (usually).
Largely, I guess, because it's one extra layer of protection to get through before my clothes. If I feel ANY blood come out of me - then cup is full and it's time to change.
Seriously. Life changing.

#6 Ms_Jae

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Ive never heard of a menstrual cup before.. I am not sure if we will have baby.. and I certainly dont want to continue with this.. It is soooo embarrassing having to go to the supermarket, having to waddle and try and hold everything in, just to quickly go get pads..
Its even worse, when I am sitting on a chair.. and all of a sudden, you feel up your back getting wet! I quickly get up and look down to see if i have marked the chair.. (Sometimes I have).. Even my car seat sad.gif

#7 Ms_Jae

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

No I havent spoken to this about it, to anyone.. not even my doctor.. Thats how embarrassed I am..  cry1.gif

#8 Barefoot

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I had the same issue, and my periods were lasting weeks and months on end. I bought a diva cup and haven't looked back, instead of hourly changing, I was able to get several hours before needing to empty the cup.
Good luck. It is hard.

#9 mightysweet

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

you do need to speak with someone OP.  I have very bad PCOS and on a recent laparoscopy, it was discovered that my ovaries are 5 times the size of normal ovaries, therefore producing way ore lining etc which is part of the reason my periods are so heavy and painful.   When i get my periods, my bladder and bowels get irritated as well and have the runs for 10 days and a bladder infection each month which is also causing me to  have thrush that just wont go away.

I think you need to at least get some blood tests done to check your hormone levels and a refferal to a good gyno.   Is there is no reason why you should be embarrased when they are there to help you!  Gosh plenty times my gyno's been at the end and his copped it LOL embarrasing but he is used to it after 12 years !!

#10 Ms_Jae

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yeah I think I better see someone.. Should I wait til my period finishes or just go?

#11 sakura73

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Please have your hormone levels checked. Very heavy periods can be a sign of excess estrogen, which has health implications including the risk of hormone-fuelled cancers such as breast cancer.

I had horrible heavy periods and went on the Pill to control them. What I should have done was corrected the underlying hormone imbalance. I ended up with estrogen-fed breast cancer and I am absolutely sure the first warning sign was those periods. Since my periods returned post chemo they have been much lighter, because the excess estrogen is gone.

I don't recommend chemo as a means of controlling periods, though, so please see a doctor for some tests. I know it is embarrassing, but it is better than the alternative.

#12 Fossy

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Speak to a gp and get a referral to a gynae, in the mean time get a pelvic ultrasound done and bloods.  I've had u/s done when I had my period, they didn't care.

Good luck op, hope you get some answers.

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Wait until your period is finished and then check with your GP, who will probably send you to a gynae. I had very heavy periods for years and used to go out wearing a red raincoat rolleyes.gif I had large fibroids which were causing the heavy bleeding.

#14 mumto3princesses

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I too know how you feel. Its horrible!!

I tried a mirena but I think that caused me lots of problems. It did help with the periods though and I had nothing at all. But I decided to get it out and check out all my problems to see if it was causing them. So now I'm back to my heavy period dramas. I'm seriously thinking about the uterus ablation.

velouria- What was the recovery etc like with the ablation?

I saw something called buddies underwear a month or so ago. I mean't to look at their website properly but didn't get around to it. They come in extra small, small, medium and large and are basically like a leakproof short bike pant.

#15 Red nut

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Wait until this one finishes, you don't need to put yourself through another trip out...
But you need to see a gynaecologist. There are lots of causes of heavy bleeding, and some  can have something done about them! That kind of bleeding sounds pretty extreme

#16 mumto3princesses

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (StormGirl77 @ 20/12/2012, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I havent spoken to this about it, to anyone.. not even my doctor.. Thats how embarrassed I am..  cry1.gif

No need to feel embarrassed op. Its more common than you think. Sometimes there is a reason and can be fixed but other times there isn't a real reason. Mine were always pretty heavy but got rediculous when I was put on blood thinners. Unfortunately for me my Gyno said my choice was mirena or uterus ablation.

#17 Beancat

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

I had this in my teenage years and really bad cramps, turns out I had endodemetriosis.  You need to talk to a gyn, there should be things they can do to investigate and help you

#18 Velouria

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

mumto3princesses they say 3/4 days but I was off work for a couple of weeks. My recovery may have taken longer as I have endo too so had some scraped off.  I also had tubes tied as there is a small chance you can still get pregnant with the ablation, but abortion is then necessary as you wouldn't carry the baby to term with no uterus lining so I went the whole hog.

I have since had a hysterectomy as the pain came back for me. The recovery for that was pretty awful (6-8 weeks off work then not feeling myself for 6 months to a year) but reading these posts now that I no longer have a period makes me realise how far I've come. I'm 34 btw.

Edited by Velouria, 20 December 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#19 Ms_Jae

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Wow Velouria... I am only 35..

#20 mumto3princesses

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Velouria @ 20/12/2012, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mumto3princesses they say 3/4 days but I was off work for a couple of weeks. My recovery may have taken longer as I have endo too so had some scraped off.  I also had tubes tied as there is a small chance you can still get pregnant with the ablation, but abortion is then necessary as you wouldn't carry the baby to term with no uterus lining so I went the whole hog.

I have since had a hysterectomy as the pain came back for me. The recovery for that was pretty awful (6-8 weeks off work then not feeling myself for 6 months to a year) but reading these posts now that I no longer have a period makes me realise how far I've come. I'm 34 btw.

Wow, I didn't realise the recovery for a hysterectomy was so bad. No wonder my Gyno said a hysterectomy would be going overboard for me. I'm such a wimp though and the thought of putting myself through an operation freaks me out. The pain I can live with but I can't keep going with the heavy periods and then low iron too.

#21 *melrose*

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

just go! thats not normal.

#22 Alina0210

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have started using a menstral cup this last 5mths and wow changed my life. I use to get super heavy periods, now they probay still are heavy. It because it's in a cup and not on a pad/tampon it doesn't look as much.... Plus then you can really measure how much u lose etc...

#23 archygrouseferal

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Definitely get checked out.  I had very heavy periods after babies and when I went to give blood my iron was too low.  Check-up showed I was anaemic.  I had thought being tired all the time and getting cold after cold was just because of having 2 little kids to run after.  I had an uterine ablation and my health suddenly improved out of sight.

#24 daisydo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yes you need to go to the doctor.

I had very heavy periods (I have endometriosis). I started using a cup and it has made a huge difference, including I was able to tell the gyno how much blood I was passing each day. It was over 100mls per day.

Tried the Mirena and it made me crazy. Since I have had an ablation, some people stop having a period, but I am not that lucky. I still get one, but it is improved. The other option was a hysterectomy.

Go see your GP for a referral and get it sorted out.

#25 lynneyours

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have the same problem OP.  My GP prescribed a drug called Cyclokapron and it isn't a contraceptive, just slows the bleeding right down.  It isn't perfect, but it is helping.

I've been referred to the Heavy Menstrual Bleeding clinic at the Womens in Melbourne, but don't yet have my appointment.

I've also had internal scans and have no PCOS, no Endio, no fibroids. sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.