Coping with overtired tantrums
Strategies?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 neaka

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hi everyone!

Im hoping for some advice for dealing with my toddlers tantrums.

He has recently dropped his day sleep but most definitely still needs it. We've started just having quiet time on the lounge with a dvd most days when at home and that seems to work ok but the real problems arise when we have been out for the morning and he falls asleep in the car. He used to transfer to bed quiet well but now as soon as he wakes up in the car and sees we are at home its game on.
I nervously lift him out of the car and pretty much straight away it starts. He kicks, bites, screams, yells, scratches and basically turns into the devil.

So, i take him straight to his room. Ive tried sitting in the room with him but he basically attacks me, ive tried smacking him when he bites and realised pretty quickly im not a smacker, i dont think it acheived anything. I now just put him in his room and wait for him to calm down then let him out and talk about the tantrum and the hitting, he usually says sorry and we move on. But this has been happening for close to 4 months now. After todays tantrum im not sure im approaching it the right way because we just dont seem to be making any progress. He's now been in his room for an hour simply because i just dont know what to do with him and im so exhausted and upset from yet another attack that i cant look at him. I also dont want to let him out because i feel like its saying well ok here, get your own way? I cant make him sleep but he really needs it?

I also have a 6 moths old who is a horrible day sleeper at the best of times but trying to get him down while DS1 is sreaming in his room is impossible.

What strategies should i be trying to not only prevent the tantrum but also teach DS1 that this behaviour is NOT ok!

Any advice is appreciated.

:-(

#2 rainycat

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

If he is asleep in the car can you go for a drive or park somewhere so he can have a decent snooze?
My 2 have dropped their day sleep as well, annoying isn't it.
Good luck and remember it is just a stage.

#3 Rosiebird

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you have a garage, put the car in there, open all the car doors and let him finish his sleep in the carseat. Or cut short the morning activities so you are at home for the beginning on the nap.

#4 halcyondays

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you have to get him out of the car and he is asleep, can you wake him up with a distraction? Like "wake up, we have to go and feed the ducks/eat icecream" Whatever rocks his boat.

I don't think the tantrums are manipulative- it takes a while for children to learn to deal with their fatigue. I've seen some tired adults throw some good ones too.

I've given up pushing on a day time nap at home- we all just get exhausted. I used to set him up with a quiet activity while I had a snooze on the sofa, and when I had to settle a young baby, used TV as a babysitter too.

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

That sounds horrible.  

I'm not an expert as my son has just started the tantrum age, but could he be hungry/thirsty?  My son's worst tantrums so far have been when he's overdue for something to eat.  I just wondered whether when he sees you are home he thinks it's time to wake up and have a snack, and is frustrated because that hasn't happened.

I'd also be tempted to enforce the nap by going for a drive, if your baby will sleep then as well.

#6 willow79

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Both my dd have gone through this stage & dd1 did eventually stop doing it.  I just think they are just really bad at being woken up (heck I'm the same!).  If I have the time I just stay sitting in the car with them until they wake up themselves.  They usually don't sleep that long after we stop anyhow.  I feed the baby or use my phone to Facebook/eb or read a book etc.  It's my chill time lol

#7 Tesseract

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

DD also gets distressed when woken unexpectedly. I know how she feels, I feel awful when I wake up mid-sleep-cycle.

If I have to wake her up I gently get her out and then have her wake up being held by me in a big cuddle. That seems to make her feel secure. I don't put her down until she is fully awake and happy, or she looses it. I quickly get her a drink of water or give her a breastfeed, as well as set up a distraction (oh let's check the letter box!).

#8 FeralAlpacaWarrior

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

DD1 does a version of this, just the crying though. It's like a PP said, to do with being woken up during a sleep cycle, as she is sometimes like this when woken in the morning. She can be inconsolable, and while I like PP's idea of holding her and giving her a big cuddle, usually at these times I am also dealing with DD2 so can't hold DD1.

I generally just speak calmly and gently to her, give her a cuddle, let her know I'm happy talk to her when she calms down, then suggest she goes to her room for quiet time (books and puzzles) to calm down (not a punishment btw), or go snuggle with her fluffies (stuffed animals and teddies) in the tent in her playroom. My current mantra, from the book Buddhism for Mothers, is patient, calm and consistent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Wondersuit heaven: Bonds & Disney launch exclusive collection

Bonds and Disney fans with babies to buy for will be celebrating this news. Bonds and Disney have just released collaboration Wondersuits.

Perth hospital mistakes cancerous tumour for "behavioural issues"

When Naomi Holly, a mother of three, noticed her eight-month-old daughter Nora, was having difficulty crawling and standing up as normal, she knew there was something wrong.

Piano playing dad soothes son to sleep in moments

There's nothing more frustrating, or distressing to a parent than a sick child who can't  - or won't got to sleep. 

Lucky escape for mum and bub after snake found in couch

Perth mother Laurie Rushton Dyble was sitting on a recliner chair in her home holding her six-month-old son when her husband suddenly told her to get up and leave the room.

When your partner misses the birth

While no one wants their partner to miss their baby’s birth, it can happen. Here’s what to do if you find yourself in that situation.

Motherhood challenge: smug or just a bit of fun?

The #motherhoodchallenge sounds harmless, doesn't it? Some women disagree.

Who's the mum? Family photo goes viral

Last year, it was "The Dress". This year, it is a family photo that is breaking the internet.

5 easy meditation practices for beginners

So who's with me? You know meditating is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.

Woman to go on trial for being a bad housewife

An Italian woman could face up to six years in jail after her husband accused her of not doing enough cooking and cleaning at home.

Is the latest advice on women and drinking over the top?

While most expectant mums know to stop drinking when they’re pregnant, experts now warn women should stop drinking earlier than that. Is this necessary?

How household chores can double as a workout

If there's less than a slim chance you'll find time to get out for a jog or to hit the gym today, take heart in knowing that household chores contribute to the calorie equation.

I have no idea what I'm doing - and that's okay

Why don't we talk about the fact that when everything goes right, we may still feel completely lost, and certain that we have failed?

Dad warns of hair tourniquet danger after baby almost loses toe

A shocked father has shared his family's experience in a bid to warn other parents about the dangers of hair becoming entangled around a baby's toe.

Town welcomes first baby in 28 years

Since the 1980s, the Italian town of Ostana had not seen the birth of a single baby.

How to start teaching your kids road safety

It's something that can be taught as early as possible and reinforced as they get older and more mobile - even from toddlerhood.

Just announced: Bugaboo Cameleon³ Classic+ Collection update

Meet the brand new understated chic model from Bugaboo.

The emotional moment a mum hears her late son's heartbeat

It's been two and a half years since Heather Clark's seven-month-old son Lukas passed away.

Nine reasons why you have 'brain fog'

One minute your productivity is skyrocketing and the next you're sitting there trying to focus – just like that you draw blank, your brain, mush.

I had a caesarean and it was beautiful

Guess what? Despite not pushing him out, I cried, and my heart skipped, and I felt the rush of love and pride when I saw him for the first time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Penny Wong

'The most hurtful argument in the marriage equality debate'

Labor frontbencher Penny Wong is used to to hearing arguments against same-sex marriage. But for Australia's most prominent gay politician, one hurts more than others.

Does exercise have to be fun to work?

Some things in life are inherently served with a big scoop of fun: balloons, bubbles, cupcakes to name but a few, but exercise?

Hair dye gives woman second-degree burns

She wanted a fresh colour for 2016, but instead she got chemical burns.

Kelly Slater saves mum and toddler from 'freak wave'

A Perth family has thanked US surfing "legend" Kelly Slater after the star saved a mother and a young toddler from "a freak wave" in Hawaii.

Apple recalls millions of power adapters

Tech giant instigates massive international recall of power point adapters due to risk of electric shock.

Toddler's adorable alphabet goes viral

It's impossible not to share this little boy's excitement  about the alphabet.

Tot's nighttime waking saves family's life

Like all tired parents, Monique and Kyle Ruppel were looking forward to the day their 15-month-old daughter Celia would start sleeping through the night. 

Australian mum gives birth to quintuplets

An Australian mum who has shared the ups and downs of carrying quintuplets has welcomed her five babies into the world.

Dad of four girls faints at gender reveal for fifth baby

It was all too much excitement for this dad.

The simple way you can help your baby's language development

The way parents respond to their child's babbling can shape how their infants communicate.

Zika virus is 'spreading explosively': WHO

The World Health Organization announced that it will convene an emergency meeting about Zika.

National database recommended for child protection cases

Baby Ebony was repeatedly failed by the agencies tasked with her protection before her horrific death at the hands of her father, South Australia's deputy coroner says.

Hospitals put babies at risk by ignoring policy on elective caesareans

Thirty-eight weeks or 39? Non-medical factors are pushing women to have elective caesareans earlier than official guidelines - and hospitals are playing along.

Police help deliver baby on busy roadside

Two police officers delivered more than a traffic fine by the side of a busy Melbourne road yesterday.

1D's Louis Tomlinson shares first photo of baby

One Direction's Louis Tomlinson has posted the first picture of his baby boy, Freddie, on social media.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Melbourne!

Get your ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.