Coping with overtired tantrums
Strategies?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neaka

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hi everyone!

Im hoping for some advice for dealing with my toddlers tantrums.

He has recently dropped his day sleep but most definitely still needs it. We've started just having quiet time on the lounge with a dvd most days when at home and that seems to work ok but the real problems arise when we have been out for the morning and he falls asleep in the car. He used to transfer to bed quiet well but now as soon as he wakes up in the car and sees we are at home its game on.
I nervously lift him out of the car and pretty much straight away it starts. He kicks, bites, screams, yells, scratches and basically turns into the devil.

So, i take him straight to his room. Ive tried sitting in the room with him but he basically attacks me, ive tried smacking him when he bites and realised pretty quickly im not a smacker, i dont think it acheived anything. I now just put him in his room and wait for him to calm down then let him out and talk about the tantrum and the hitting, he usually says sorry and we move on. But this has been happening for close to 4 months now. After todays tantrum im not sure im approaching it the right way because we just dont seem to be making any progress. He's now been in his room for an hour simply because i just dont know what to do with him and im so exhausted and upset from yet another attack that i cant look at him. I also dont want to let him out because i feel like its saying well ok here, get your own way? I cant make him sleep but he really needs it?

I also have a 6 moths old who is a horrible day sleeper at the best of times but trying to get him down while DS1 is sreaming in his room is impossible.

What strategies should i be trying to not only prevent the tantrum but also teach DS1 that this behaviour is NOT ok!

Any advice is appreciated.

:-(

#2 rainycat

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

If he is asleep in the car can you go for a drive or park somewhere so he can have a decent snooze?
My 2 have dropped their day sleep as well, annoying isn't it.
Good luck and remember it is just a stage.

#3 rosiebird

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you have a garage, put the car in there, open all the car doors and let him finish his sleep in the carseat. Or cut short the morning activities so you are at home for the beginning on the nap.

#4 halcyondays

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you have to get him out of the car and he is asleep, can you wake him up with a distraction? Like "wake up, we have to go and feed the ducks/eat icecream" Whatever rocks his boat.

I don't think the tantrums are manipulative- it takes a while for children to learn to deal with their fatigue. I've seen some tired adults throw some good ones too.

I've given up pushing on a day time nap at home- we all just get exhausted. I used to set him up with a quiet activity while I had a snooze on the sofa, and when I had to settle a young baby, used TV as a babysitter too.

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

That sounds horrible.  

I'm not an expert as my son has just started the tantrum age, but could he be hungry/thirsty?  My son's worst tantrums so far have been when he's overdue for something to eat.  I just wondered whether when he sees you are home he thinks it's time to wake up and have a snack, and is frustrated because that hasn't happened.

I'd also be tempted to enforce the nap by going for a drive, if your baby will sleep then as well.

#6 willow79

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Both my dd have gone through this stage & dd1 did eventually stop doing it.  I just think they are just really bad at being woken up (heck I'm the same!).  If I have the time I just stay sitting in the car with them until they wake up themselves.  They usually don't sleep that long after we stop anyhow.  I feed the baby or use my phone to Facebook/eb or read a book etc.  It's my chill time lol

#7 Tesseract

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

DD also gets distressed when woken unexpectedly. I know how she feels, I feel awful when I wake up mid-sleep-cycle.

If I have to wake her up I gently get her out and then have her wake up being held by me in a big cuddle. That seems to make her feel secure. I don't put her down until she is fully awake and happy, or she looses it. I quickly get her a drink of water or give her a breastfeed, as well as set up a distraction (oh let's check the letter box!).

#8 Alpha_Chook

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

The hour he spent in his room today.....was that meant to be time out? If so it is a long time for time out and by the time he comes out he will have forgotten what he went in there for.

I find with Eamon when he has the tired tantrums the best tactic is to cuddle him really tight and start making stupid noises. Kinda mimicking the noise he is making but slightly different. He usually wonders what I am doing then stops and laughs. Other times if I let him be he will either get over it himself or fall asleep

#9 Feral Alpacas

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

DD1 does a version of this, just the crying though. It's like a PP said, to do with being woken up during a sleep cycle, as she is sometimes like this when woken in the morning. She can be inconsolable, and while I like PP's idea of holding her and giving her a big cuddle, usually at these times I am also dealing with DD2 so can't hold DD1.

I generally just speak calmly and gently to her, give her a cuddle, let her know I'm happy talk to her when she calms down, then suggest she goes to her room for quiet time (books and puzzles) to calm down (not a punishment btw), or go snuggle with her fluffies (stuffed animals and teddies) in the tent in her playroom. My current mantra, from the book Buddhism for Mothers, is patient, calm and consistent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.