Quick summer dinners
menu planning

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Impatientmummy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

DH & I will both be working until 8pm most nights for the next month, I need some ideas on quick easy dishes or even slow cooker ideas that go well when its hot. A bonus is if I can give it to DS 3yrs the next night as the kids will be at home with a baby sitter. Im going to attempt a fortnightly menu plan so I only have to do 2 big shops then quick grab ones inbetween. Any tips for menu planning last time I tried it I didnt feel like what was planned lol

#2 Funnington

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I would be following Jamie Oliver's 'family tree' concept to get a few meals out of one thing.  Or, embracing a slow cooker (one pot meals or slow cooked roasts).

Some ideas would be:

- Cook a roast leg of lamb on Sunday.  Make sure you buy a big one - I understand the initial outlay is huge (up to $30 for a large leg) but, if you can make a couple of extra meals on top of a traditional roast, that's got to be a winner!  So, Sunday - traditional roast with all the trimmings, next night you could have a shepherds pie using finely chopped leftover lamb and the night after that, lamb ragout with pasta.  

- Pop a piece of roast beef in the slow cooker.  Add some stock for moisture and any flavours you like (herbs, mustards, red wine etc.).  Chuck a nice salad together and boiled potatoes - easy!  

- Make a beef stew in the slow cooker.  If you make a large batch you could just get home and add some dumplings to the stew and the next night use the beef stew as a filling for a pie.

- Roast a large chicken (no need for complicated stuffing's).  Just baste with melted butter, finely chopped thyme and salt & pepper.  On a Sunday, roast chook and all the trimmings.  Another night a chicken pasta or curry.  (I tend to get only two nights out of a chicken)

- Make a large batch of bolognaise sauce.  Freeze into family size portions.  Make sure you add heaps of finely grated vegie goodness - tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, fresh herbs.  There's the bog standard spag bol, lasagna (using fresh sheets to speed up the cooking process) or, get fresh lasagna sheets and use them to roll up and make cannelloni.  

- Don't forget soups that can be made on the weekend and frozen.  There's nothing wrong with having an omlette or poached eggs on toast.  

You can definitely do it if you plan ahead without compromising nutrition and learning to cook a 'family tree' meal that can be stretched across another one or two nights.

Edited by Funnington, 19 December 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#3 MoonPie

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Get intimate with the slow cooker.

This morning I stuck carrots and brussels sprouts straight from the crisper into the bottom of the slow cooker. Stuck the cheapest lamb roast I could find on the top and put it on low. It will last us 2, maybe 3 meals. The veggies go lovely and soft original.gif If I can be bothered I pop chopped or baby potatoes and/or peeled sweet potato and pumpkin in the bottom too.

Cheap beef, stock, tomato paste and veggies.

If DS will eat curry I recommend the McCormicks Mild Chicken Curry powder mix with coconut milk, chicken thighs and sweet potato.

Budget mince, tomato puree, stock and veg.

All easy, and the cheaper the cut of meat the better for slow cookery.

#4 Funnington

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

This morning I stuck carrots and brussels sprouts straight from the crisper into the bottom of the slow cooker.

Yum!  The juices would make a delicious gravy.  

I'm a very late starter with the slow cooker.  I had a crap Sunbeam one that was either on or off.  Didn't work for me turning it on at 8am and arriving home after 5pm to a stringy bark, watery mess.  I've invested in a better slow cooker (that I can brown ingredients in, woo hoo) that has a timer and low, medium and high settings.  

I've officially left my husband for Morphy Richards (the slow cooker).

OP, as for your requirement for 'summer dinners' - I know we tend to BBQ more and have more salads in Summer,  but the slow cooker doesn't overheat the kitchen area so you can have things that would normally lend themselves to Winter.  Unless you're after lighter meal ideas?

Edited by Funnington, 19 December 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#5 ChunkyChook

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Here is a thread I started a few weeks back. It has some great ideas

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...1030961&hl=

#6 MoonPie

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Funnington @ 19/12/2012, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yum!  The juices would make a delicious gravy.

Yep, I'm about to duck to the shops for mint sauce to go with the lamb and gravy. Droooool.

#7 Impatientmummy

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the idea's, some of those sound really yummy!
Funnington I said summer because when its hot we dont want to eat a hot meal every night, so some cold dishes or ones that go with salad are helpful.
I have a few good slow cooker recipes but have never tried veggies in there with a roast so thats something Im definately going to try!
Forgot to mention DH is dairy free not that its an issue with the suggestions so far original.gif
Thanks for the link ChunkyChook, some good ideas in there too

#8 Natttmumm

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I don't use the slow cooker but here are some of our summer style meals.
Tacos - I cook the sauce the night before and chop up all the salad etc.
Pasta with the taco sauce. Cook pasta night before
Chicken pasta bake made the night before - I add veges too
Beef stir fry made the night before with noodles. It's very quick as I buy the sauce.
Maze plate- homous with pita bread, cheeses, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and ham - kids love it
Scrambled eggs with ham - my lazy no time meal

#9 IVL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Our quickest meals are normally seafood which we eat 2-3 times/week. Pan fried salmon or ocean trout, should not take longer than about 7 mins total in a hot pan, spray pan with olive oil. In that time steam some chinese veg or make a salad. We also do prawn stir fry and a quick laksa in less than 15 mins.

We also like the platter where everyone picks what they want, we serve them with wraps so kids can make buritos if they like.

I can't take any credit for these as DH is the cook in our house, but I do encourage from side lines and pour the wine.

#10 Fairey

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Chicken salad using a roast chook from the supermarket!!

Quiche? Zucchini slice? Getting hungry just thinking of food!!

#11 kandj

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Our Fave quick dinner mid week is Salmon on rice. We marinade the salmon in a quick curry paste and yoghurt mix (though i'm sure you could use something other then yoghurt for dairy free). We usually do tikka massala or tandoori as these generally go best with the salmon.

The rice we do in the microwave, we add some turmeric, cumin seeds, lemon zest and cardamon pods to flavour the rice while its cooking.

Cook Salmon on the bbq. Then when rice is done, add juice of 1 lemon and a handful of fresh coriander leaves stirred through.

We servce it with mango chutney and yoghurt.

I know there are no veggies in there which is a bit of a no no, but on nights when we are really pushed for time we figure its still better then getting take out wink.gif

#12 MintyBiscuit

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

We've been doing a lot of wraps this summer. Basically just grill the meat you're using, and put that, some salad bits and pieces and the wrap on a plate and build your own. Very little cooking, and you could easily do a double batch to have hot one night with vegies and then cold the next day in a wrap.

#13 Duck.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ours are
Minute steak cooked then sliced and tossed through salad with what ever flavours you want. We use soy, honey and garlic

Eggs on toast

White fish, cream, lemon juice, loads garlic, dill served on rice with salad

#14 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Cheat version crunch noodle salad using a bag of coleslaw salad. Add bbq chicken or sometimes we have it with pine nuts or cashews.

Pasta with a jar of pesto mixed through & a punnet of halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomato) & some parmesan.

Spanish omlette/fritatta

Salad with leftover meat or cheese.

Cheese plate with vegie sticks & dip.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.