How does Hand Foot and Mouth start?
DS has red spots on the roof of his mouth

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

DS has been a bit "off" all week. It started on Monday with a runny nose, slight temp, unsettled sleeping, grizzly, and refusing food.

This morning when I was brushing his teeth I noticed dark spots on the roof of his mouth. Nothing on his tongue, and nothing on his hands and feet. There are a few spots around his mouth but they kind of look like the spots he gets when he has been dribbling lots (which he has).

He doesn't seem particulary unhappy, so I feel a bit dramatic taking him to the Dr. Plus, googling pics of Hand Foot and Mouth show more blisters, than just spots.

If your kids have had this, how did it start?

DS started daycare about three months ago and has been sick more often than not since, poor little dude.

#2 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I've had another look at his mouth, def full of red spots. Made a Dr appointment for in an hour (lucky!) so will see what he says.

#3 Elemenopee

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

For my boys, first they were very hot, tired, lethargic. The spots came within a few hours. They were  noticably ill, and slept for a couple hours in the middle of the day, uncharacteristically.
12 weeks later, their fingernails and toenails peeled off, which only happens with one particular strain of HFM.

#4 squirrel10

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

My DD had it a couple of weeks ago and it pretty much started as you describe but the blisters developed pretty quickly after that. So Sat afternoon she was really sleepy and a bit grizzly through the night. Sun morning she woke with a temp of about 38.5, didn't want much brekky and had a couple of red spots on her hands and feet. Temp went away with Nurofen.

Monday morning she woke up covered in a viral rash (including nappy rash) and about 10 blisters on her hands and feet and a couple of red spots around her mouth. Her temp was 38.8 and she refused BF and breakfast. Her temp lowered with Nurofen again. I took her to the GP that morning and she immediately diagnosed Hand, Foot and Mouth. The poor thing also had a couple on her throat which I could tell were really hurting her. She also had bad breath which was from the blisters on her throat.

After that she needed to be in quarantine until her blisters dried up because she was still contagious until then. By the Sunday (so a week in total) she was as right as rain and back eating and drinking again as normal.

She has also just started at daycare and has been constantly sick for the last couple of months so I feel your pain OP!

#5 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 19/12/2012, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's impossible to say. In my experience, it can present as nappy rash, but is actually HF&M.

Sometimes it's the more classic presentation of hand/foot/mouth blisters.

Interesting... He had TERRIBLE nappy rash (I thought it was thrush, all spotty) about two weeks ago. I will mention this to the Dr as well, see if it's related. Thanks for the tip.

#6 squirrel10

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Interesting about the fingernails and toenails Elomenopee. The skin on the bottom of DD's toes and near her fingernail nail beds is peeling off and I thought it must be related to the HF&M.

Do you know if anything we can do about it?

Edited for grammar

Edited by squirrel10, 19 December 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#7 red_squirrel

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

red spots in mouth could also be strep.
Best take him to the doc for a proper diagnosis.

#8 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

If anyone is interested- I took DS to the Dr, seems its just a viral rash. Glad I took him, but jeepers it seems like I'm at the Drs every week these days! Thanks daycare!

#9 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Well colour me confused. I just looked at the soles of DS's feet and they are covered in red spots...

Any advice? (within EB rules, of course).

#10 Natttmumm

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I would go back to the doc if you can. Does sound like hfm although there is nothing that they can do anyway.
I hope he is not in pain. When DD2 had it she was very unsettled - literally awake all night crying. It lasted about 5 days and slowly she got better.

#11 MacFeral

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

If it isn't blistering I'd say it probably isn't hand foot and mouth. Keep an eye on it, make sure you keep fluids up and temps down and see how he is feeling in general. If it seems to get worse then head back to the GP.

#12 Le-a

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I rang the Dr but they have closed for the day. DS was supposed to go to daycare tomorrow and Friday, but I just called them and they pretty much told me he couldn't come in based on the symptoms I described...

He seems to be ok, a bit clingy, and his feet are tender - I can tell because he's walking with his toes curled under. Also, he says "ow ow" when I touch the red spots.

Still no blisters though shrug.gif

#13 thespottedcat

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

My daughter had it this year. Only affected her by little white spots on sides/tip of tongue and a couple of spots outside the mouth, along with grumpy toddler who refused her dummy (due to tenderness). Dr diagnosed HFM and pain relief.

I was surprised as other kids in my mother's grp developed the commonly seen blisters and that is what I had always thought of, guess it affects them all differently.

#14 libbylu

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

My adult BIL has hand foot and mouth at the moment - he has spots on his hands and feet and some mouth issues too.
For him it started as a fever and a sore throat.

#15 lozoodle

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

DD1 had it two years ago.

She had a random fever and was really unwell seeming for a day or two, and then all of a sudden fine. A few days later she started with pinprick spots on her toes, a couple on her hands and then a few blisters on her feet (barely there blisters). That was it with her.

DD2 had it last year, didnt seem overly unwell but I knew it was coming as we had been warned by a friend her little girl had it and theyd all been mouthing the same toys on the weekend at a party. Sure enough she got a few spots, and had the TERRIBLE spotty nappy. Hers were raised spots and appeared over a few days. only a few blistered, but she got them around her mouth, arms, hands, wrists, feet, and the nappy area. None IN her mouth.

A few weeks later her nails peeled off, just like PP had happen.

Some kids dont get spots in all three spots, some dont blister.

#16 MrsW87

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

DS2 Started as 1 blister on his foot. I thought it was from crawling. Then they just kept coming up. He was really lucky though and only got about 20 blisters all up. The weirdest part was, he was never unwell. He had 1 38 degree temp, which I thought was from me forgetting to open his window.

#17 Duck-o-lah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

OP sounds like the way my DS presented with HF&M. Off colour and warm for a few days, then broke out in the rash. I first noticed the red spots on his feet. They never blistered though, and once the rash appeared his health improved. We excluded him from daycare until the spots cleared.

He passed it on to me and I copped a mouthful of blisters... extremely painful sad.gif Hope it doesn't get any worse for your DS sad.gif

#18 *maddierose*

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

My son had this last week.

He started out grizzly and then developed temps of 39+, the following day diagnosed with acute tonsilitis and also had dark red spots on the roof of his mouth.
The next day spots appeared as a viral rash up his arms and legs, then larger red spots developed on his feet, top and bottom and hands on his palm . He got only 3 spots around his mouth and lots on his bottom and around his testicles. Only 3 on his feet blistered and the ones on his bottom area.
He could not walk on his feet for 48hrs without crying in pain and hardly slept as he was uncomfortable.

To begin with the dr was reluctant to diagnose HFM as they were not the typical spots/ blisters. However ds was exposed as 13 children at my work developed it within days of each other. They all had different degrees of rash/blisters.

Many started as what looked like dribbling/dummy rash.

#19 FreeRangeMum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

My DD and DS have both had it (a couple of times I think). Neither ever had 'blisters' as in fluid filled spots, but they both had raised red spots (started as flat red pinpricks), except in their mouths - they were b,isters/ulcers. DD had it the worst when she was 2! Over 30 blisters all inside her mouth and tongue and throat.

#20 FreeRangeMum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Something else to remember is that HFMD is really common and there's HEAPS of different strains (just like the common cold), which could account for peoples different experiences original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.