Flying with 3 month old
logistics info please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Futureself

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

We're flying on the weekend to Melbourne from  Brisbane so only a short flight. But I get really anxious in unfamiliar situations so I'm fretting that I don't know what will happen with DS on the plane.
Can someone talk me through the infant belts - where do they go on him?
He'll be in the carrier in the airport - I then have to take that off for take-off AND landing yes?
I keep reading to breastfeed him to help with pressure in the ears - can I do that with the infant belt?

Thanks for easing my anxiety - if I know what to expect I'll feel ok!

#2 mandala

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

It will be fine. The infant belt slips over yours, and then goes around the baby's middle, like your belt goes around you. It's very easy to lie the baby down to feed while the belt is on.

You do have to take them out of the carrier for takeoff and landing, which is annoying.

I've found the flight attendants to be very helpful, always willing to provide food early/keep it warm, and hold the baby if needed.

#3 libbylu

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

The infant belt is just an extra loop with it's own buckle (which you can pull tight).  It attaches to your seat belt and is easy to work out.  If you have it pulled tight around the baby's lap it would be difficult to breastfeed at the same time.  You can try for a feed just before take off when you are seated if feeds make him sleepy, and the inertia at take off will often make them fall asleep.  Or loosen the belt a little to feed more if he gets fussy when you are half way up.

#4 witchesforest

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

i did this exact flight on sunday with our 3 month old DS and it was fine, don't worry!

you need to take the carrier off for airport security too. take a dummy or be prepared to feed baby for take off and landing so his little ears don't hurt. other than that, it will be a breeze. AND you get to hop on the plane first too!

#5 Wyn99

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have flown when my babies were 3 months and it's a good age to travel. As PP said the hostess will give you a infant belt when you board (or when seated) and ask if you have used it before, if not, will show you what to do. Try to hold off feeding until take off, then you can sort of twist bub a little to feed while still in the seat belt. Remember to wear loose, accessible clothing and ask for a small pillow if it helps. If you sit near the window then you won't need a cover wrap if you're worried about flashing when feeding.

#6 Futureself

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thank you all very much, I will have a collection of  dummies as well so if I can't twist him around to feed as you suggest, I can use them to soothe on take-off/landing.

QUOTE (witchesforest @ 18/12/2012, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you need to take the carrier off for airport security too.

That I didn't know, thank you!

#7 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

My top tip for travelling on a plane with a BF young baby is to avoid poo-splosions by covering the disposable nappy with a cloth nappy cover/pilchers if you have them! Mine always seemed to time massive poos for the moment when you push out from the terminal (and have a good 20-30 minutes of seatbelt sign being on before you can get up to change them!).

Flight attendants are usually really helpful and will show you how to use the infant belt and give you a pillow for feeding.

Good luck original.gif

#8 Escapin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

My tip is an extra outfit for you AND your baby. Something about the change in air pressure seems to cause poo-plosions.

Agree with PPs re seatbelt being easy original.gif

Good luck, you'll be a pro in not time.

#9 l-m-n-o-p

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi futureself

The infant belts look like this:

So your seatbelt goes through the loop. The flight attendants will walk your through it.

The tip about feeding when taking off and landing is a good one. I did quite a lot of flying when my eldest was little and we never had any problems with her ears. There is something about the vibration/white noise of the plane that put my baby to sleep. If your baby is asleep I wouldn't wake them up to do this (just be ready in case they do wake up and are uncomfortable).

Good luck - this is probably the easiest age to travel with original.gif

Edited by l-m-n-o-p, 19 December 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#10 sakura73

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Definitely ask for a window seat and a pillow, preferably the window on the side you intend to breast feed on so his little head is protected.

I always change him last thing before we get on the plane so his nappy is as fresh as possible.

The belt is loose enough that you can have him cuddled towards you for feeding. Breastfeeding always worked for me on take off and landing: now he is 16 months we just use a dummy and he has never had ear problems.

I have found that I often get an empty seat next to me when I travel with DS. And the attendants are usually very lovely.

#11 PurpleNess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Get to the airport early & ask if they have a bassinet seat available, we found it wonderful flying from Perth To Melb when DS was 5 months old, I rocked him to sleep then popped him in, gave us a break!

#12 Sharlie2878

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I did the Brisbane to Melbourne flight on my own with my daughter when she was 11 weeks and it went really well.  The carrier has to come off for security and take off and landing, I pretty much decidedthe flight was short enough that once I had her on the plane there wasn't much point putting it back on.  Breastfeeding or a bottle is a great idea on take off, in my experience Qantas will give you a pillow straight away, Virgin and Jetstar you might be lucky.  

I have done Brisbane to Darwin on my own as well and found when she was getting bored a quick trip up and down the aisle gave her plenty of faces/colours/things to look at and got chilled her out a bit. ON that flight the carrier is a godsend on the plane!

If you have someone with you, it is heaps easier, but amazingly people actually do offer to help if you are on your own with a baby and have a bunch of bags to deal with.  Definitely don't expect a lot of help when the queue starts to get on board though, there is something about that rush to get on the steel tube that turns people a bit nasty.  The main thing to remember is if you are calm the baby will be calmer, my partner and I had taken a really short flight when Georgia was 4 weeks old and I knew from that she didn't react much with the change in pressure so was pretty sure she would be fine with a boob in her mouth, which made me a lot more relaxed about the whole thing.

#13 hunter4

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Just a couple of other things that I've founr work when flying with the little bubs.

create a couple of little packaages with the minimum you need for changing bubs that you can take to the change room if you need to change them in flight - theres no room in the change rooms for a big nappy bag. I fing a zip lock bag with a nappy a couple of wipes and a disposable change mat worked well (or one of those nappy change wallets if you have on)

take a small bag that you'll be able to fit under your seat - the last thing you want is to have to keep getting up to get stuff out of overhead lockers.I found a bigger bag with all the extras (change of clothes just in case) that you can put up and hopefully wont need, then a smaller bag with a nappy change, dummies etc that you're more likely to need.

They normally allow families to board pretty early in the boarding process to give people time to get settled - personally I find the less time sitting in those seats the better so ignore this - however my DH is one of those that needs to be first on the plane so I send him on first with the big bag to get settled then board last with the baby and just the small bag that I throw under the seat.

Feeding or dummy on take off is good - but don't get to hung up on the idea.  If bubs is asleep - or wants a feed earlier just go with the flow - babies are actually pretty good at equalising their ears and if they are having problems they will let you know and yuo can them give them a feed.

Good luck - its really pretty easy at that age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.