ABA...

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#251 lucky 2

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

So I would strongly argue that the issue is not, in fact, unrealistic expectations, or these issues being entirely out of the realms of their expertise. If you read information from the ABA, as I had, before calling them, you might be very shocked indeed by the hard line response of the person on the other end of the phone. And criticism of this is highly reasonable.

We are back again to the problem of inconsistent advice about infant feeding amongst the ABA Counsellors.
They are not always living up expectations of their training, role and the women.
I would include the expectation of the service by the users, that has to be considered a factor, maybe not the major one though.
Since the helpline has a high rate of "customer satisfaction" then it is not the majority who perform at a lower level.
It is exactly the same with health professionals, inconsistencies in knowledge (or perhaps the retention of knowledge, understanding or even interest in that knowledge) and practice/advice.
Feedback is important for all services, informal (ie. ABA) or formal (Hosps etc as care given in the postnatal period attracts the most dissatisfaction and complaint, there has been a lot of study as too why this is so).
I see these issues as linked, ie the distress of early feeding issues and dissatisfaction with both informal and formal care or help.

#252 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#253 Melidia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

That's why breastfeeding is promoted - because statistically it keeps babies healthier and costs the government less money in the long and short term.

It's not being promoted - it's being pushed to the exclusion of all else, with absolutely no regard for the woman, baby's or family's circumstances or individual needs.  The message isn't 'breast is best' - it is 'breast is all there is'.   It's an ideal substance for feeding an infant, not the only one.

Giving women the idea that they must sacrifice their own physical and mental health in order to provide breast feeding (not even expressed EBM in a bottle is approved by some!) to their babies is wrong, no matter what spin you put on it.

It is insulting and degrading ..... to constantly suggest to women who for whatever reason, aren't entirely successful with breastfeeding or simply find it awful and don't want to do it...that there must be something WRONG with them if they don't do it

I agree.  Or that they are selfish, or lazy, or aren't a very good mother.  The all-or-nothing mentality really gets me.  People who want to comp feed, or mix feed, or do anything to make their lives more manageable often end up fully formula feeding because they DON'T get the support in order to make even a part-time breastfeeding relationship work, but instead face condemnation and judgment for wanting (or needing) to do something other than sit and feed a baby for years on end.

Edited by Grey, 23 December 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#254 CupOfCoffee

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I am someone who almost 15 years ago had a bad experience with the ABA (I exclusively express fed for 2 months with him, against the advice and criticism of the ABA at the time).  

It is the reason why, when I had the same breastfeeding issues again with my daughter (almost 4 years ago) I told the nurse in no uncertain terms, I want to bottle feed (and didn't need someone to come talk to me).  I felt like I missed the first 2 months of my sons life because of the whole experience, I wasn't doing that again.

I see motherhood holistically now, not just needing to succeed at one thing, I need to succeed overall.  So my view is being kind to women, and forgiving of myself, is the best way to have positive outcomes.

#255 Jane Jetson

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (*magenta* @ 23/12/2012, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which bit says they help with all feeding issues?

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/aboutaba

Which bit says using nipple shields and EBM don't count as breastfeeding?

QUOTE (*magenta* @ 23/12/2012, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they called the ABA for breastfeeding advice, but were hoping, perhaps unconsciously, the ABA would give them permission to move to formula feeding.

What garbage. I wanted to breastfeed exclusively. So many of the posts in this thread are from women who were seeking help to *save* their breastfeeding relationship, yet this is continually ignored.

#256 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (katpaws @ 23/12/2012, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What evidence?

The Australian national infant feeding survey showed that the breastfeeding initiation rate was 96%, and that over 9 out of 10 women intended to breastfeed.
http://www.aihw.gov.au/media-release-detail/?id=10737420970

#257 katpaws

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

The Australian national infant feeding survey showed that the breastfeeding initiation rate was 96%, and that over 9 out of 10 women intended to breastfeed.

That doesn't have anything to do with your statement:

But the evidence is that the majority of women do want to breastfeed, and some of thse women are being let down by a lack of adequate support and services in the postnatal period.

The only thing that link said about women not breastfeeding was:

‘Wanting to share feeding responsibilities with their partner’ and ‘previously unsuccessful breastfeeding experiences’ were the two most common reasons for not breastfeeding. Many women also felt that formula was just as good as breastmilk.

Medical reasons for mother was another reason for not breastfeeding.

WOmen not continuing with breastfeeding:

The most cited reason for not continuing breastfeeding was ‘not enough breastmilk for child’. However, this reason was cited by only of 13% mothers/carers whose child stopped receiving breastmilk after 12 months of age, compared with 56% of mothers/carers whose child stopped receiving breastmilk when aged 6 months or less (Table 4.2). Those children who stopped receiving any breastmilk when they were aged more than 12 months did so because ‘child was old enough to stop’ (63%) or ‘child lost interest’ (33%).

I don't dispute that many women want to breastfeed but i dispute your claim that women don't do it due to a lack of support and services. These reasons were not in the provided responses of mothers for discontinuing or not undertaking breastfeeding. I believe that the reasons why women don't breastfeed or discontinue with BFing can be quite complex and that stating "they don't do it due to lack of support and services" can minimise the experiences of many women. ETA: I do acknowledge that for some women having a lack of adequate services and support may influence their decision to or ability to BF, I just don't think that this is the case for all women.

So, still waiting for the evidence.

Edited by katpaws, 23 December 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#258 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I meant that there is evidence that the majority of women do want to breastfeed.  I didn't mean to imply there is also evidence about lack of breastfeeding support letting women down.  Apologies if I was unclear.

I think the fact that 9 out of 10 women intend to breastfeed when they are pregnant, and that the breastfeeding initiation rate is 96%, are good indicators that the majority of women do want to breastfeed.  I don't know of any research specifically addressing that question.

Edited by bottle~rocket, 24 December 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#259 Lolpigs

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (bottle~rocket @ 23/12/2012, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant that there is evidence that the majority of women do want to breastfeed.  I didn't mean to imply there is also evidence about lack of breastfeeding support letting women down.  Apologies if I was unclear.

I think the fact that 9 out of 10 women intend to breastfeed when they are pregnant, and that the breastfeeding initiation rate is 96%, are good indicators that the majority of women do want to breastfeed.  I don't know of any research specifically addressing that question.

I think the pretense that breastfeeding is easy really got to me when I had issues. All this time I was told how wonderful it was, and how easy it was, and it was anything but.

A bit of honesty with women would probably go along way. Why would you stick at something you had been told was wonderful and easy, and then to find out it is really hard and difficult? You feel like a failure, and with the combined attitude of "you must not have tried hard enough" really cements it.

#260 statua angelam

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

That last post of Tamm's is one I agree with.

I would add that - at least up to the age of 6 months - many people putting that question have an implied "exclusively" in front of "breastfeeding."  

I breastfed DD for over a year.  I didn't get to a week of exclusive breastfeeding.  I think many women who want and intend to breastfeed, don't necessarily want and intend to do so exclusively (for 6 months).  Those are very different questions!

#261 sarkazm76

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 23/12/2012, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which book did you chose? Sue Cox's book "Breastfeeding with Confidence" is a good one and easy to read.
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Confid...e/dp/0684040050

I got Breastfeeding Take Two:
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/...tfeedingtaketwo

Recommended by Claire Fitzpatrick (I think is her name) from Free Your Parenting original.gif
Coincidentally bought it from the ABA/ Mothers Direct store as they had the best price biggrin.gif

#262 sarkazm76

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 23/12/2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I'm aware, the government public health has no position on using EBM or bottle feeding per se, nor does the government suggest to discourage combination feeding.
What annoys me greatly is that GOVERNMENT employees, such as Midwifes are pushing heavily teh ABA aims, not the government they are working for aims, to the degree that they now do.
Tamm

Ummm... the government does have a stance on encouraging breast feeding:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/pub...-dept131109.htm

And I'm not sure how it works in other states but my hopsital is clearly pro-breastfeeding in their position (not that it stopped them being totally useless with the care that I got... but anyway)...

Caboolture is a Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) accredited hospital. BFHI accreditation supports the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, which promotes breastfeeding as the norm and where the mother's informed choice of infant feeding is encouraged, respected and supported.
We see part of our role is to provide you with accurate information to ensure you are able to make an informed decision about feeding your baby. Whilst we understand that breastfeeding is best for babies, we are committed to supporting your decision on how you choose to feed your baby.

The page I got this from also has more info and then links to the ABA, the BFHI, Qld Health Breastfeeding resources and a link titled "risks of not breast feeding" which goes to an ABA page as well.

Edited by sarkazm76, 03 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#263 JAPN2

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 03/01/2013, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Caboolture is a Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) accredited hospital. BFHI accreditation supports the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, which promotes breastfeeding as the norm and where the mother's informed choice of infant feeding is encouraged, respected and supported.
We see part of our role is to provide you with accurate information to ensure you are able to make an informed decision about feeding your baby. Whilst we understand that breastfeeding is best for babies, we are committed to supporting your decision on how you choose to feed your baby.

Sorry the BFHI doesn't in my view respect or encourage FF at all. In fact by making women jump a stupid hurdle of signing a form of 'consent' it actively work to discourage women from FF.

I have stated many times that BFHI is a midleading name and should be renamed Breastfeeding Encouraged Hospital Initiative. It also doesn't talk about any negatives that can be associated with BF for women's health especially those suffering PND.

#264 Melidia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

As far as I'm aware, the government public health has no position on using EBM or bottle feeding per se, nor does the government suggest to discourage combination feeding.

Ummm... the government does have a stance on encouraging breast feeding:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/pub...-dept131109.htm

Yes, the government encourages breastfeeding.

As Tamm pointed out though, there is nothing specific about EBM or bottle feeding (of EBM), or of discouraging combination feeding.

All of those methods can also ensure that a baby is getting breast MILK, which is actually the most important part of breastfeeding.  

If a mother cannot, for whatever reason, BREAST feed, then she should be supported and encouraged to supply breast MILK to her baby.  If that cannot happen, for whatever reason, then she should be supported in either mixed feeding or formula feeding.

Edited by Grey, 03 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#265 sarkazm76

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Tamm also said that midwives, who work for the government, are pushing the ABA agenda and not that of their government.... I was merely saying that acutally and at least in my hospital, they push BF very much and so the midwives to that respect ARE actually following government guidelines, not the ABA.
That was all.  I never said the government postition was right or wrong.
I totally think women should be encouraged to do whatever works for them and their baby and if that means not solely BF then so be it.  I went through it too and we compliment fed pretty early on and got the flack from the MHN for it (well your supply will go down) even though I was only doing it once a day just to get some rest!!!  (DH was getting up to give one of the night time feeds as formula).

#266 Melidia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Tamm also said that midwives, who work for the government, are pushing the ABA agenda and not that of their government.... I was merely saying that acutally and at least in my hospital, they push BF very much and so the midwives to that respect ARE actually following government guidelines, not the ABA.

I guess it depends on whether or not you go by the ABA's literature, or by the experiences that women actually have with the counsellors, because there seems to be a difference between the two, as has been discussed in this thread.  

The experience of many women with the ABA is that they push the 'breast FEED at any cost' line.  This is in line with the experience that many women have in so-called 'baby friendly' hospitals.  I believe this is what Tamm was referring to.  The government does not have a position on EBM and mixed feeding or comp feeding, yet the midwives in these hospitals are either not giving mums information about those methods of feeding, or they are making mums feel bad for wanting to explore any alternative to straight, constant breast feeding. This is not what the Government literature promotes.  

I agree that women should be encouraged to do whatever works for them in their own particular circumstances.  Unfortunately this simply is not happening, as evidenced by the many negative experiences outlined in this thread alone.

#267 lucky 2

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Sorry the BFHI doesn't in my view respect or encourage FF at all.

The BFHI 10 Steps is about hospitals trying to not interfere with you or your baby during the establishment of breast feeding/lactation, it's not about formula feeding.
The BFHI is governed by the Australian College of Midwives, it was developed jointly by the World Health Organisation and UNICEF in 1991.
The ABA isn't involved with BFHI.

What is the connection btn BFHI and PND?
I've never read any literature about BFHI and PND, do you have something I could look at regarding this?
What annoys me greatly is that GOVERNMENT employees, such as Midwifes are pushing heavily teh ABA aims, not the government they are working for aims, to the degree that they now do.

MW's are employed in many settings (just like RN's), govt (local, state, fed), in hospitals, in the community and privately.
Considering most MW's are also RN's, are MW's somehow more prone to practising in a more unethical or unprofessional manner than any other RN?
Any infant feeding policy would follow various govt guidelines (ie the NHMRC Infant Feeding Guidelines) and research findings etc.
The ABA is not involved with the governance of the BFHI or the formulation of individual Hospital Policies and procedure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.