Big baby
Can I do it? Dr says no!

17 replies to this topic

#1 madammuck

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi all.

I'm currently 28 weeks with DS2. DS1 was born via emergency c-section after going in to fetal distress (I was induced and am sure this is why he went in to distress), he was 8 pound 5, which is large for me for my first baby I guess (I'm only about 5 foot 2), but still not at all a humungous baby I wouldn't think!

I've been doing a lot of research and really feel quite strongly about trying for a VBAC with DS2, but when I went to see the OB today (NB, we do shared care so he won't be my OB for the whole pregnancy) he said that DS2 is looking to be big again and he wouldn't even recommend I bother trying a VBAC because it will end in another emergency c-section again.

DS2 is also breach at the moment but OB said if he hasn't turned in the next couple of weeks they won't try to turn him because of his size and risk to my c-section scar (this I think is fair enough), but there's not much I can do to encourage him to turn naturally either.

So I'm not really brimming with positivity at the moment, and I think everyone attempting a VBAC needs to be surrounded by positivity to be confident in their decision.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience - have you delivered a big bub through VBAC? I don't mind if it ends in emergency c-section if it all goes pear shaped, but to suggest not even trying seems extreme?

And have you had any luck encouraging baby to move naturally?

TIA

#2 Lokum

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

My first was a little one (5lb9oz), born by emerg c/s because he went into distress after induction... but that's because he already wasn't doing too well.

#2 was always looking bigger than #1. All my measurements were big, and scan showed he was going to be around 3.5kg.

I did end up trying for VBAC (went into labour 2 days before my scheduled c/s.) I laboured for 9-10 hours, and stodd, rocked, bounced on a fit ball for most of that. I had continuous monitoring, but I spent almost no time sitting or lying on the bed, because it was the least comfortable.

I didn't make progress. He never engaged, I didn't dilate, and we ended in another emerg c/s. He was 8lb, with a 97th centile head!!!

So for me, it didn't work. I haven't successfully been able to birth a baby. His head was huge! However, I DID get satisfaction from those 10 hours of labour, and from trying. I don't have any 'what ifs.' I'm glad I got to give it a try, and that baby and I were well monitored and looked after and never at risk.

I followed my Dr's advice, but I'm glad I could give it a try, and an emerg c/s wasn't the end of the world. Actually, we think it was good for my baby that he got squeezed a bit, as he had great APGARs and did really well.

Don't know if this is helpful to you or not!

GL.

#3 pinkcupcakes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

yes, YES!you CAN do it!! omg i could have written this myself. i went through this 5 months ago. dd was right on 8 pounds, a  week late, emergency c-section after 26 hours of natural labour ( failure to progress due to incompetent staff).. you know what/ i'll brb am going to try pasting my vbac success story for you.watch this space...

* ok so i can't find it, gah! anyway, so its was 3 years in between dd and ds, i had put on less weight with ds and was healthier, and feeling fantasticc.i wanted so badly to have a vbac and while i had my doubts, i knew in myself i could do it. most of the staff at the hosp i went to for ds ( also did shared care) were fantastic, really good, positive etc.

there was one ob there who i saw a couple of times who was A COW pure and simple. ds was estimated to be close to 9 pounds and she tried to bully me into going an elective cs. i stood my ground and on the day, i was surrounded by such positive people, i really do think this made a huge difference. i made sure i was active and upright from the start, i was in various different positions throughout (despite having continuous monitoring, you do NOT have to be laying down the whole time). i had i think it was 5 hours of established labour and then i did it!if i can you can, op, coz things dont come easily to me. i did end up with 4th degree tearing BUT i think this is because i was on birthing stool in the end, (typically not good for tearing, i found out later)and by that stage i got a bit impatient and really gave it my all. if i had been a little more patient, and gone back to all fours, i dont think i would've torn. all fours is the best way to deliver, the gentlest, because there's less gravity bearing down on your pink bits.
op, it was the greatest, proudest, most satisfying feeling of fulfillment when ds came out and i knew i had succeeded. still makes me tear up at the thought!

i went into the decision to have a vbac with the determination to make it work and the belief in myself, and also the option of, well i can still have emergency ceasar if i need to, but there's no harm in trying. YOU CAN DO IT!

AND, there are things you can do to encourage bub to move.ds wasnt breech but looked like he was going to go posterior. i know its a bit different but it might help. i was told ( and did) to sit on a fitball, or sit on a backwards facing shair to tilt your pelvis forward. resist the temptation to sit back in a recliner or lounge as this will only encourage bub to stay backwards. you can also get on all fours to do gentle rocking exercises, and this is also a good thing to do if you want to try it on d-day.( i found it really took the weight off the bump.)

also i got a chiro adjustment the day before due date ( waters had already broken! ffear.gif ) and i think that helped too, it just gives your body a better chance of getting bub in the right position in birth canal, or something.

anyway i know i've been blabbering on but i really hope you stick to your guns op, coz i really do think it's worth it. dont just give up without a fight. at least if you try then at least you've tried, eh? biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif all the best, please post an update and just relax and stay positive, determined and focused. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Oh! btw! ds was bang on 9 pounds ( also with a 97th percentile head,lol!)and i am 5'2. so i am proof.

Edited by pinkcupcakes, 19 December 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#4 erindiv

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

One thing does stand out from your post - the doctor mentioning the baby turning in the next 2 weeks.

Babies can turn VERY late. A friend of mine was about to undergo manipulation to turn her boy at 36 weeks when he suddenly took a great big turn head down and stayed put for the next four weeks. 28 weeks is way too early to worry about breech, especially for a second baby.

OB is also wrong is saying there is nothing you can do to encourage your baby to turn. There are many, many methods that have proven successful for a lot of women, I think there is even a thread dedicated to it somewhere here on EB.

Another friend of mine delivered a big baby on her first go (around the same weight as yours) but ended up with severe tearing. The decision was made to perform a CS with her next baby less than 12 months later. That baby was over 9 pound.

How has your OB determined your current baby is big? Simply by measuring your belly? This can be inaccurate, especially for a second one. Or by ultrasound? This can also be inaccurate, many members here will testify to that.

#5 Rumina

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

... Big baby, previous C/s, breech presentation... Your OB is likely way out of his comfort zone. His negativity is not about you, it is about him!!
Surround yourself with positive and supportive care providers, practice optimal fetal positioning to encourage a good position, be confident that you can birth your baby if left to labour undisturbed... You absolutely CAN!!!!

#6 Unatheowl

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

My Ds was a relatively large first baby delivered by c section.  I wanted to try pushing which I did but could not do it.  I wish I had listened at the time.  However, with DD my ob said there was no way anyone could really predict whether you could birth a large baby or not until it happens.  He was fine to let me try.  Turns out DD was smaller anyway and came out fine.  I had a friend deliver a 4.5 kg baby in about 40 mins and another one who' ob was sating how large her baby was and it came out 2.8 kg.  They can't know.  With regards to the turning thing, I can't comment.

Just to add to all those posters saying "you can do it" be careful about making this about the op.  she may not be able to do it.  You don't know her medical history and are just a clueless as her ob in relation to whether the baby will come out with little  or any horrible damage.  There is no reason given here why you can't try op, however, all pp's can offer you are our own stories where we did it and that came out ok.  I would still listen to medical advice all through the labour and work with your team, who are there for the good of yourself and your baby.

Edited by Unatheowl, 27 December 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#7 mnsr621

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

No experience with VBAC but DS2 turned at 35 weeks and again at 36 weeks, he was born at 36 weeks and weighed 3.1kg which I was told was a good size for 36 weeks, don't give up hope.  Good luck

#8 MoonPie

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positio...p/flip-a-breech

An excellent resource for breech baby turning!

#9 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 26/12/2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positio...p/flip-a-breech

An excellent resource for breech baby turning!

Was going to post a link to this site.

DS3 was breech up until a few days before my 36 wk ultrasound to check where his head was. I did the leaning off the lounge thing and tried to spend as much of my time playing with the kids on all fours.

28 wks is (in my opinion) way too early to be making decisions about a breech baby. I was given until 36 wks and then given the option to turn which I didn't end up needing but i'd be pushing up until the last minute not to have a c section booked in. I'd even be asking for an ultrasound the day before you are booked in for a c section or the morning of the confirm where bub is laying.

#10 Puggle

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I had a 12lb 11oz (5.76 kg) VBAC baby. The story is linked in my sig if you are interested.

PPs have given some useful advice, especially the Spinning Babies website.

All the best.

#11 tenar

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I had a 4.5kg VBAC (the first was 4.1 kg and an emergency c/s because she wasn't descending at all after hours).

It can be done!

Having a doula there was a huge help to me, I suggest trying to locate one who you like and who can work with your ideas about birth and help you achieve your goals.

Good luck!

#12 Feralishous

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

spinning babies worked for me. DS turned at 35 weeks and I birthed naturally.

#13 leisamd

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

On the measurement thing, my middle child measured huge, my youngest measured smaller - guess which baby was bigger?  My youngest, by nearly a whole pound.

I wouldn't be ruling anything out yet...

#14 akkiandmalli

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Echoing the thoughts of the previous posters.. Dd was 3.8kg and born via emer csec. Due to feral distress. Lucky for me my hospital was fully supportive of a VBAC and when DS failed to progress in second stage due to head size the used forceps. So it was an assisted VBAC . He was 4.25kg. I think a lot of the advice given is great lol esp Anne's ( her birth story is inspiring! )

#15 axiomae

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Acupuncture has been known to help turn babies - worked for my friend.

#16 madammuck

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thank you so much for your replies, your experiences are amazing inspiration for me.

In general, I do think my hospital is supportive of VBACs (definitely the midwives), maybe just not so much the OB I saw the other week, and hopefully I won't be seeing him again! You're so right when you say it was all just a bit too far out of his comfort zone.

I'm absolutely still going to try for a VBAC, if it ends in another c-section then so be it, at least I will have let my body go in to labour naturally and for me that's the main thing.

Amazingly, I went to see my acupuncturist just before xmas and he suggested we try moxibustion to start loosening the ligaments to encourage baby to spin - and he did!! After the first go! I don't doubt he'll continue to do somersaults for the next few weeks, but the main thing is that I now know the OB is a bit of a fool and there is absolutely still enough room for my baby to spin around if he wants to.

Thanks again ladies biggrin.gif

#17 Corella

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Moxibustion is amazing and fabulous. You can just use a peg on the little toe as well original.gif.

#18 premmie_29weeks

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I've never had a cs or vbac but I just wanted to say its still really early on at 28 weeks, there is still plenty of time for the baby to turn. My ob who is very pro letting nature take its course unless there are other medical issues would normally wait till 36 odd weeks before attempting to turn the baby. My ds1 was posterior until about 4 days before his birth. I also had quite large babies for my size. I'm only 5'2. They thought ds1 would be 4kg plus and he turned out a reasonable 3.4kgs, Ds2 was 3.65kgs and that was actually an easier birth, no time for any pain relief....totally natural. Recovery was better too, no stitches...

Keep an open mind hopefully circumstances will be on your side and you'll manage it

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.