5 year old STILL pooing pants
Just want a shoulder to cry on OR anyone in same situation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mummydo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi,
Background: my eldest DD(just turned 5) has never completely TT with poos and im slowly going crazy. It actually brings me to tears. ( my 3yr old ds was tt at 2.5 and does better than her)
She was always an extremely scared kid. Scared of those rides in the shops (will not ride a bike) so when it came to pushing out a poo she is still petrified to this day and constantly has small bits of poo in undies. Once i find or smell it i usually have to bribe her to push out the poo. (it is not a fear of the toilet its a fear of pooing) I have tried bribes with sticker charts, toys,money etc.. also unless its so runny she will not push anywhere near hard enough to push out solid poos and i have no idea how to get her to do more effective pushing. She has never been constipated so the fear has not stemed from that.

I have seen a paediatrician who has prescribed benefibre and osmolax twice a day to make them soft but 6 mths down the track no better, he was not concerned when i saw him last a mth ago and said she will grow out of it. I have googled and assume she has encopresis but i have read up about 8-10yr olds still with the prob. (I CANNOT do this another 3-5yrs ).
I suggested a psycologist to the Paed and he said no not yet. (i think "I" will need one soon)

She starts school in 6 weeks and its my worst nightmare.
Has anyone had any experience in this or know of anyone that has i am at my wits end

Thanks for listening

#2 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I can't give you any advice really but can sympathise. My 9 year old step son still does this. He has improved over the years but it does still happen a couple of times a week. I can understand how you feel.  If it is any help, my SS has only occasionally poooed his pants at school and he has never said that he has been teased about it.

I don't think it comes from a fear of pooing if she is 5 and it's still happening. They can be too distracted to notice how their body is feeling. It can also come from being constipated long term and having the bowel stretch and losing the sensations that it needs to tell her she needs to go to the toilet. When the poo builds up, often bits can break off and come out (called "sneaky poos" apparently).

We tried reward charts and punishments and a lot of other things but none of it works for too long.  The best you can do is sit her on the toilet about 20 min after breakfast, lunch and dinner for about 5 min. If she goes, then that's good, but she possibly won't. This is to get their bowel used to emptying.

I've read up on this issue too and there doesn't seem to be too many really successful solutions. I think it just gets better with time, a LOT of time.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 18 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#3 AMPSyd

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

It does sound like encropsis.

My DS had it and parachoc worked wonders, softened things nicely. Yes, get her to go to the loo 20 mins after meals - the bowels work around this time.

I also didn't think DS was constipated as he went regularly - but - they were - TMI - huge. A Dr said said this can show constipation.

I found DS sensitive to some foods - paddle pops, pineapple juice (he now has apple juice), flavoured chips. He loved oats for breaky but I found that oats do block him up.

I read, here on EB - that too much fibre can actually block them up. Better use things that soften stools. Pears are good for that, as well prunes. Parachoc is a stool softener.

But it takes time as the bowels need to revert to the normal size (encropsis means the bowel is stretched and some leakage can occur).

Good luck.

#4 mummydo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

thanks for your reply's. I do put her on the toilet after meals however she can do nothing then have poo in pants 10mins later (so frustrating).
I have had her on parachoc untill i saw paed and started her on the osmolax (i didnt want to overload her. and even now with that and the benefibre and increased fibre in diet she can have a massive runny poo 3 times in one day then go 2 days of nothing then normal poo, so its so hard to adjust her dosages.
I have tried pear and prunes and she wont have a bar of them, even pear juice she wont touch. just trying high fibre cereals at the moment. I find it so hard to pinpoint any food relations.

#5 soapy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

My DS (5) doesn't seem to like to go to the toilet and if we don't take note he could go up to 7 days without going. He doesn't seem scared to go just would rather hold on than go. I am thinking of trying Parachoc over the holidays to get him more regular as the Dr said his bowels need retraining. He doesn't have accidents but just thought I would let you know you are not the only one. A school mum/friend has a little boy who soils himself at school has organised a plan so that if it happens the child goes to the office where a change of clothes is kept and they help him clean up.

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Have you tried prune juice? My 7 year old (who is a very fussy eater and also suffers from constipation) has  about 1/2 a cup of prune juice over his weetbix every morning, then milk added. He will also drink small amounts of watered down prune juice occasionally.

#7 mummydo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

i have tried prune juice a while a go might give it another shot. Thanks

#8 rileys-mum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hi OP, we have just come out of 3 years of encorpresis. I can only tell you what has worked for us.
Please watch the amount of fibre you are giving. We have worked out that both my boys react to fibre and it causes them to clog up.  With my eldest, we were on 3 sashets if movical and 50mls para choc a day. It was excessive and not good. Out of desperation I went and saw a naturopath who performed some Bowen therapy. We are now medication free but still have the occasional flare up. I know of 4 other families who have also had success with this condition and natural therapies so maybe just something to consider.

Op, it is a long, frustrating road that I would not wish upon everyone. Everytime there is an kids underwear sale on, stock up so that on those really bad days when you can't handle any more poo, you can just throw the soiled undies in the bin! Good luck

#9 mummydo

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

thank you rileys-mum i will give a naturopath a go in the new year. its so hard to decide whether to keep going with all the stuff we are using ie benefibre and osmolax or stop and try something like what worked for you. since uping her fibre she has had quite big runny poos and alot in pants but im guessing its good as its keeping her empty and giving it a chance to get those muscles back to normal.
Its soooo sooooo hard and really resent her at times (hate to admit it)
also its so hard as everyone else around her (adults) tend to try to to say to her "why did you do that in your pants" in a dissapointing tone and are not encouraging to her. I am only just realising that she cannot help it and truley doesnt know when its there....

#10 handsfull

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Having been there and done that I totally agree with your Paed.  Give her time and it will happen.  You mentioned that she has been a very anxious child in the past, is she also sensory by chance.  A lot to do with pooing is to do with the senses.

My DD1 started Prep and would still only go in pullups.  So frustrating as I had been training them since 2 years.....However we found out she was a sensory child and it also has to do with letting go, with undies/pullups they feel it close to their skin, in the toilet there is nothing.. IFKWIM.

It took DD1 half way through Prep before she could go in a toilet and she worked out a pattern to get around school accidents.  She went in the morning in a pullup or after school/at night in a pullup.  Sometimes she wouldn't go for a few days - I think 10 days was a record for us and she was on all types of medicines.

She take Osmolax occasionally but only because I know she doesn't drink enough water sometimes and poos are hard and I want to make sure she doesn't get constipated or a fissure with trying to strain.  

It will happen and try to get people to back off a bit on their comments, they may be young but they can still understand people's tones and words.  I do not feel it is encoparesis based on what you have said, as my paed said my DD definitely did not fall into that category and he definitely had kids that did.  The fact that she is going at all in any way is a good thing, just needs some fine tuning.....lol!

Edited by handsfull, 19 December 2012 - 09:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.