Bring a plate.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joolz

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Urgh, I have no imagination, please help!
DD's break up lunch tomorrow at school - bring a plate of food to share. Please suggest - no real heating just refrigeration if needed...
Break up do at one of the school mum's houses on the last day...bring vino - check; and a plate! Have no idea what to rock up with, eeek!
All suggestions gratefully received.

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Mini quiches, scrolls, sandwiches, scones, slices, cake/muffins made in mini muffin tin.

#3 Maple Leaf

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Not that I have any amazing ideas, but I bought a brownie maker for $12 and have been finding that the easiest thing ever lately.

Whip up some mix, make the brownies and I don't have to turn on the oven to heat up the house- so easy.

So, that's my new "bring a plate" thing...wink.gif

#4 ninaswalk

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I did mini kebabs.  Toothpicks with a grapes (or other fruit) and a marshmallow.  My 3 yr old helped me do them and they were a hit.  Good for kids not sure about the adults though wink.gif

#5 Zanbam

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'm planning on making biscuits/toasts with good quality feta smeared on them and a dollop of whole cranbery sauce (I think it is from ocean spray) with a little rocket on top (I will also add roasted walnuts but only because I KNOW no-one has a nut allergy where I am serving it).

They are yummy and the cranberry makes it quite christmast and they are quick and easy to put together.

#6 HeartMyBoys

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

School........fairy bread (you could do it in xmas themed shapes), watermelon, sandwiches, biscuits
School mums house.........dip with crackers/cheese/carrot & celery sticks, fruit cake, pretzels n peanuts
Anything really. Everyone loves nibbles

#7 MotherClucker

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Im making these!! http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27423/butt...colate+tartlets

#8 Mootmoot

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

At this time of year: shortbread.  Therre's plenty of google recipies and it's pretty simple: I usually just cook it in a lamington tin (lined with baking paper) and cut into fingers when it's straight out of the oven - then you don't have to fuss with cutting shapes or patting it into a circle.

Lemon slice.  
I also second mini quiches.
Fruit plate.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I made these for something at the weekend.  They were popular with the children and looked like they took a lot more effort than they did.

#10 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Bring a fruit platter. Watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple, grapes, cherries whatever wont discolour and spoil. I've found that there's always so much sweet/unhealthy party foods that lots of people do enjoy plain fruit. There's never leftover fruit to take home.

#11 Tarantara

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I cut these up, total winner!

Thinking of branching out into honeydew ones for christmas day wink.gif

Edited by Jillian_10, 18 December 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#12 Fluster

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

My son always signs me up for cheese, kabana and jatz.

#13 Chelara

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Jelly cups? Layers of red and green jelly.

#14 discomonkey

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

My two favourite options:
1. Skewers with watermelon, strawberries and pink marshmallows 2. Stir bought mini tart shells filled with melted chocolate mixed in equal parts with thickened cream and topped with a raspberry
Both super quick and easy - and everyone loves them.

#15 ubermum

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

How much do you cook?

I did pizza scrolls for ballet break-up Friday night. I rolled out pizza dough to 40cmX20cm. Topped with filling ( I used cheese, tomato pizza sauce, capsicum and mushroom). Roll to a long sausage and slice into 2cm rounds. Place on baking sheet lined with baking paper and squish each scroll a bit with the heel of your palm. Top with extra cheese and bake in a hot oven.

Failing that, tzatziki and rice crackers, carrot sticks and celery is always good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

The Bugaboo by Diesel Denim launch

Essential Baby attended the launch and it got messy!

Father's letter to Bataclan terrorists

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

Adele's new song to sing along to

Singer follows up success of Hello with new belting ballad When We Were Young.

Major retailers restrict formula sales

Coles and Woolworths have imposed tighter buying bans on baby formula amid a shortage blamed on Chinese consumers.

Three-year-old breaks family's news

If you are three-years-old and an only child, then news doesn't get much bigger than this.

Swapped babies stay with families

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

How life is different with three kids

I knew having a third child would alter our lives, but it's had so many impacts - both tiny and enormous.

What's hot on EB

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Beautiful 'now and then' images of premature babies

They are stunning photos that the parents of these beautiful no doubt feared they may never see.

Physios warn pregnant women not to crunch like Michelle Bridges

Experts are urging pregnant women not to do exactly as Michelle Bridges does when exercising, or they risk developing rectus abdominus diastasis.

Penny-pinching supermarket shoppers switching in droves

Half of Australia thinks it can get cheaper groceries by switching supermarkets, and about one in four of us have already switched.

Baby breastfed by wrong mother after hospital mix up

A newborn baby has been breastfed by a stranger after a NSW hospital bungled the identities of two newborns, devastating one mother and potentially exposing the newborn to health risks.

Nurses invent skin to skin c-section drape

The determination of three US nurses to provide immediate skin to skin contact to mothers delivering their babies by caesarean section has led to the invention of a unique surgical drape.

Baby's first photo shoot features a special guest

You can always be sure of a few things not entirely going to plan during a newborn shoot – little accidents are almost par for the course – but this shoot was memorable for a whole other reason.

We are not the family you think we are, I promise

Kids have a way of presenting a completely inaccurate impression of you, as parents, and as a family.

The hidden harm of foetal alcohol syndrome disorder

Experts believe many children diagnosed with ADHD might actually have FASD and that the number of people suffering from the condition across the country could be as high as 500,000.

Anaesthetist facing charges after ignoring woman's pain during caesarean

An anaesthetist could be punished after telling a woman enduring an "excruciating" painful C-section that she was not actually in pain.

When your baby starts life in NICU

Our daughters are finally home after spending nearly four weeks in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Wellington hospital.

How to save for a deposit while renting

As hard as it sounds, it is possible to save money when you rent, and certain things can be done to build a deposit faster.

Medications pregnant women should take, avoid, and think about

There are actually very few medications that must be absolutely avoided during pregnancy.

Paid parental leave uncertainty a growing concern

Eight months out from the due date of the government's PPL cut, some expectant parents are facing an uncertain time.

7 commandments of using the internet as a parent

What you need is careful, objective and repeatable science. Not anecdotes or old wives' tales, but data.

A rethink on screen ban for kids under two

With new guidelines being developed, the discouragement of use below two years of age is being revised.

10 things I want my wife to know

It's on those crazy days that I must remember to stop and let her know some things she needs to hear.

Better education about SIDS needed as deaths plateau

The number of sudden and unexpected deaths in infancy has decreased in NSW for the past 15 years but the most recent report into child deaths reveals the decline has plateaued.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.