Could I be pregnant?
Late AF

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrsShine

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi everyone, I've not usually posted in this area as DH and I aren't officially TTC yet (we're thinking in the new year we'll start). But I came off the BCP about 5.5 - 6 wks ago, we just figured we wouldn't STOP anything from happening naturally IYKWIM but weren't going to begin charting or using OPK's or seriously trying anything like that for a few months while my body adjusts to coming off the BCP.

I had AF straight away, it was longer than usual (about 8 days) and we have DTD about 4 or 5 times since it finished. I had my regular period cramps and moodiness almost like clockwork at about 27 days and expected AF at any moment but 28 days came and went, as did 29, 30, 31 etc. and tomorrow it will be 35 days since the beginning of my last period. I did a HPT at 30 days and again today and they were definitely BFN's. But I'm wondering if there is any chance I could actually be pregnant?

I know it's probably just my body adjusting to coming off the hormones but I do feel weird, I've also put on a bit of weight in the last few weeks and been craving chocolate (which I don't usually eat!) maybe it's in my head but I've also been using the women's log App on my iPhone just so I know what my AF is like and keeping track of mood etc. and when I looked back we DTD right around the time I would have been ovulating if I did actually ovulate! I just don't want to be one of those women on the "I didn't know I was pregnant" show!! Lol

Is it possible to still be getting BFN's this late? Or have people got BFP's later on?

P.S I have never been pregnant before, and my sister got pregnant the first month she stopped the pill!

Just wondering if I can rule pregnancy out - thanks for your help!

Edited by MrsShine, 17 December 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Onyx

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

You might be pregnant, or you might not.

Since you don't know when you ovulated (if you even have) you won't know when you period will be due.

I would give it another week or so before testing again.
When I came off BCP I had one normal cycle then after that everything was haywire.

#3 Cat People

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

It's possible.

#4 MrsShine

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Waiting a week will be Christmas Day - eek! What a present that would be if I got a BFP original.gif

Not getting my hopes up as if it is positive I'd be very happy and absolutely thrilled, but if not it's also ok, as we hadn't really started yet.

How late have people got BFP's after AF being due?

I've heard that some people always get negative results on HPT's and never get a positive until a BT.

I'm going to stop thinking about it - it's driving me insane!

Edited by MrsShine, 17 December 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#5 Daisy Goat

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

you had sex .... ergo you could be pregnant

rolleyes.gif

#6 pinkelephant

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

My cycles were about 42 days after coming off the pil. They varied between 35 and 42 for about 6 months before they levelled out!!

I think its just hormones readjusting.  I get my bfp's by 10dpo.

Good luck either way!!

#7 Jersey Caramel

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Any time I've come off hormonal contraception, I've thought I was pregnant the first 'month'! My first few cycles are usually long, but settle down after a few months. If you're wanting to get pregnant, I would keep DTD, because you may not have even ovulated yet.

It's unlikely that you ovulated 'on time' and are still getting BFNs (possible, but very unlikely).

Good luck with whatever happens. original.gif

#8 MrsShine

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yep, I think you're all correct - prob just late with the readjusting of hormones  etc. I've just never been late before, I came off the BCP about 5 months ago but had a hard time coping emotionally (was like I had PMT 24/7 for 8 weeks straight!) and AF was on time both months. But I went back on the BCP in October so maybe I've just confused my poor body! original.gif

Oh well, I would like to get PG soon so fingers crossed!

#9 emelsy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Two months ago I was sure I was pregnant and the tests were wrong/dates not quite right but alas I was not. I had heaps of symptoms that I felt sure were EPS. Fast forward a month and so didn't feel pregnant but did a test on a whim and BFP!
Good luck!

#10 lamarque

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I remember having an ear infection when I was due for a period almost 8 years ago.  I did a HPT before I saw the doctor which was negative.  Was given antibiotics for the infection and about 10 days later I got a BFP. So yes when my period was due it was too early to test.

Goodluck!

#11 Nervy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

It took my body a while to ovulate after I came off the BCP, 65 days (fell pregnant then) but i never got a period after coming off BCP. I remember i was massively bloated and moody and i kept getting negative tests. I ended up taking a test every week until one came up positive. So Yes, you may be, or no, your body may be going through an adjustment! i hope you are! good luck!

#12 tazcan

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

The cramps, moodiness and bloating you are experiencing now are probably due to ovulation - it is very common to have delayed ovulation after coming off the BCP.

#13 MrsShine

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Well I'm not pregnant!

Got AF at day 40 - 12 days late ! I've never been late like that before, the good thing is that I was a little bit disappointed when it arrived which has helped me realise that I am actually ready to TTC original.gif before this I knew we were getting ready but kept freaking out so this little incident was almost a test and now I can't wait to be pg!

A bit annoyed that I also now have a very heavy AF over Xmas but what can you do!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.