Help needed with decluttering

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi

We need to declutter. We are bad at it. Everything is either essential, or has memories attached to it etc.

So, I need tips, ideas and anything to help us throw stuff out (eg throwing baby stuff, we wanted another baby but after three years of trying its very unlikely to happen so I need to throw out all that stuff).

Thanks

#2 Escapin

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Would you consider joining Freecycle? That way things are going to real people who will use them, not just the rubbish tip?

Or maybe start an online journal, where you can photograph things and write down why they are important, and them you can let the 'thing' go?

#3 Frau Farbissina

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Not easy, I know. Would you consider donating all the baby items to a women's refuge? If you could look at websites/ call local ones in your area and you may find one that is on need of such items.( I know of one in canberra if you're here.)

Hold on to the items that are sentimental and keep them together in a memory box.

Throw/recycle/donate what you can. There are charities that will pick up large furniture items that you donate. There may be a freecycle set up in your area where you can basically advertise items you have for free and people interested would contact you and arrange to pick them up.

Once you've got left what you want to keep, find a home for everything . Let everyone in the household know where it is and try to stuck to putting them back where they belong.

Good luck. I know it's not easy and overwhelming. I feel like I am in a permanent state of "must declutter!"

Edited by Frau Farbissina, 17 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#4 amabanana

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

It's hard to throw out things with sentimental value.  Some suggestions that I read once included making a quilt out of your favorite baby clothes and taking photos of things that have memories attached and making a memory book.  Often it is not the object itself that is important but the memory it brings up for you.  Having a photo helps you retrieve your memory and so you can (in theory!) get rid of the object.  Same with the blanket.  Get rid of boxes of stuff and replace it with a small blanket or throw for the couch.

Once you start I'm sure you'll find it very freeing and find it hard to stop.  original.gif

#5 PurpleNess

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Not sure if this will help but start one room at a time, get three large boxes & mark
Keep
Throw
Donate
& the only thing for it is be ruthless, perhaps call in a more impartial 3rd person who can guide you and rationalise with you about hoarding.

Also get a skip bin.

Agree with PP you may actually find it cleanisng & liberating once you get started.

I keep all my photos and letter & cards for special occasions, everything else goes, so maybe set your self some boundaries & be specific.

Good Luck

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

As an incurable squirrel I know exactly what you mean. We had our house repainted earlier this year and moved entire contents into the garage. We hired a rubbish skip and ruthlessly threw away anything we hadn't used/seen/thought about for ages. When time came to move everything back inside we got another skip and filled that as well. I got rid of wedding presents we had never used (married 25 years!) old toys, books I would never read again, jigsaws with missing pieces etc. I would advise you not to get too caught up in keeping stuff to donate as charities are overwhelmed with donated goods (I read on the weekend that Lifeline spend $55 000 each year on rubbish tip fees). Happy disposing!

#7 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for hints. I like the idea of taking photos or making a blanket, as you are correct, it's the memories more than the object.

Old Grey Mare, our households sound similar. I think our problem is, is that we don't want to get rid of stuff that someone else could use, but everyone we know doesn't need our stuff and charities in Canberra don't want electrical stuff . Skip is coming this week (we pulled out our kitchen) and I don't want to miss that opportunity.

Frau Farbissina please let me know of the refuge as we are in Canberra.

This is a pre-moving declutter and my aim is that we move, everything will have a place as built in storage is better in our new house. The biggest issue is that we have too much stuff.

#8 75etd

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Visit my house. My Mum moved in a while ago with more stuff than we did-family of four-which included only two pieces of furniture. It has really encouraged me to go mad with my stuff. Think about whether you will ever need it, does it really hold any significance memory wise or is it just another memory, does it cause you more stress to keep it than to replace should you ever need it.

My Mum collects s**t-beer mats, milk bottle tops, cards, stamps, coins, books, linen, kids toys, all my school books from grade 1 to 12 (and gets upset that I don't want them!) etc. it is so overwhelming I just want to throw it ALL out.

#9 LittleListen

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

An awesome resource for decluttering:

http://simplemom.net/

Check out her ebook (also an actual book) Organised Simplicity. Its a plan for every room of the house and how to declutter and clean successfully. I love it.

#10 Myprincesses

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Are you on Facebook? There are heaps of buy, swap and sell sites there linked to towns/regions. Anything that is too good to throw out but you don't need take a photo and list it to either giveaway or for a few dollars. You just don't know who maybe looking for that item. That way you know those things that are too good to throw away are going to someone who will use it.

We are about to move again today. With each move we go through everything and get rid of the things we know we won't need in the next place, any clothes we have not worn in the last 2years (you know you won't wear it), anything broken, or anything our girls have grown out of. Of course nothing special  is kept in a small box.

Mind you last night we discovered a large box of Vases I had totally forgotten about. Can't do anything today but once we move these will be sorted too. I don't think we need 12 vases espcially when we all get hay fever any asthma! They are too good to throw out so I will be listing them on face book at our new location.

Good luck with it.

#11 FERALfoxgirls

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

My rule is once its set to leave the house i don't look at it again. DO NOT re open op shop bags or things to go to other people.

#12 PigNewton

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

My rule with the sentimental stuff is, if something happened to DH and myself, and someone had to come clear the house, would they see the item and recognize why it was important? Ie, DS' hospital bracelet from when he was born or our wedding photos are obvious sentimental items. A broken TV that a deceased relative,gave us or the top that I was wearing when DH and I had our first date might mean something's me, but absolutely nothing to anyone else, even my nearest and dearest, so out they go.

#13 Ninja Lemur

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi there JoIsMe !

Some people find it easier to imagine if the house burnt down what would they rebuy?  What would they be heartbroken they have lost.

Some items have sentimental attachment but the emotions might not be positive ones.  This might be the case with the baby items?  They might be a reminder of the baby you longed for and don't have.  It will be easy to get baby items if you do have another baby in the future (heck I'll even send you some myself)

There are women on EB about to give birth who would love baby stuff.  Could you offer them on here?

Can you imagine each room in your new house and imagine in your mind's eye what each room will be used for and what items woudl create that perfect space and the rest will go?

You sound a lot like me in that you find letting go responsibly the hardest thing.  I often place things out the front on the nature strip and random strangers take them.  Could you do that?

#14 claptrap

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi JoIsMe!

another hint if you find the whole process daunting:
at least as far as baby clothes go, you don't have to go from full on clutter to minimalist in one fell swoop.  I got myself one largish plastic tub for old baby and toddler memorabilia, and as it filled, I edited.  Some things I couldn't bring myself to get rid of on the first pass, but a year or two later, I was ready to let go.

Since you are moving you probably do need to be a bit more ruthless but if it seems insurmountable, just make a start.  Oh and I second a PP's advice about tackling one room at a time.

#15 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm super at de-cluttering. I love living minimally.  It feels so good to purge crap.  Your home will feel so much lighter.
I don't sell anything - it takes too ling, if I put stuff aside to sell I never get around to it - it is much more satisfying to give it away. Freecycle or donate and it's gone and your unlikely to go grab it back again or leave it sitting somewhere for months.

When I first started decluttering we filled 2 skips it was awesome, we also have a guy that will come and take anything metal - old bikes/computer/tv's/fridges etc - he took 2 trailer loads.
Then we donated bags and bags of clothes to goodwill.
Now I am down to going through removing pics from the walls (visual clutter) and colours but I am aiming for true minimalism.
I joined a minimalist group and it is very inspiring.  The feeling of freedom that comes from not being attached to and bogged down by stuff is amazing.  I have very little attachment to "stuff" now, I actually prefer not to own/buy much.
For me the xtra space freed up by decluttering means more than keeping an old baby blanket that I may or may not need again and could easily be replaced if I did.

Goodluck

#16 Ninja Lemur

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Do you have a link to the minimalist group?

#17 ~rollercoaster~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I would like the link too.  original.gif

#18 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I think the hardest part of decluttering is not the physical side, but the mental and emotional. Some resources which help me to keep on track are http://www.aslobcomesclean.com/new-here/ and http://www.theminimalistmom.com.

There's a lot of information out there, so just read the ones you resonate with and ignore the rest.

A few lessons I'm learning which have helped are:

- Remember that stuff itself doesn't have meaning - we are the ones who attach meaning to our stuff, so focus on the meaning rather than the stuff.
- Getting rid of stuff that doesn't suit your life anymore is not a waste of money. The money has already been spent, it's gone, but you can still save space and mental clarity.
- If there's something in your house that you don't love or don't use, there could be someone out there who is looking for exactly that. Let it go and let someone else get joy from it.
- If you give something away and down the track you realise that you really need it, you can buy another one. That may sound wrong, but the majority of the stuff you won't need ever again. Keeping 100 things around on the offchance you might need one of them one day takes up physical and mental space. Buying (or borrowing) that one thing you actually need when you actually need it makes more sense when you look at the numbers.
- You don't have to get rid of absolutely everything, but be smart. Keep one or two extra special mementos, the little outfit your baby wore home from the hospital, but not every outfit from the first year of their life, for example.

And to finish, a quote from William Morris: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

#19 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I love that Morris quote.

I think it's a good idea to sort out for yourself what kind of a declutter you are talking about.  I want organised with little to no excess junk.  The thought of minimalism fills me with horror and dismay--it's not how I want to live.  

I'd feel paralysed if I decided that I had to declutter to the point of minimalism and thus do nothing. My truth is I want to have less stuff with more organisation and to have very little around which is excess to requirements.

#20 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your ideas, it has really helped to think about my stuff differently.  We have started.

So far, I have discovered we don't have a lot of rubbish stuff that would be destined for a skip, but we will have a lot to donate.

I started on things that I would find easier emotionally, so have decluttered my clothes. I have got a couple of plastic boxes to put keep sakes in (and that's the limit). Working well so far. Going through DD's baby stuff, we have decided to keep some stuff (just not ready to get rid of it all yet) but we have a large box filled ready for donation and I feel energised to downsize other things on order for it to be donated. It's helped that there is somewhere for it to go (going to try a women's refuge in Canberra).

I am also mentally thinking about our new house and how we are going to store/organise stuff.

I have also discovered that DH is a hoarder in denial, but he has managed to cut his computer cable stash by half and we have found a charity that will probably take them.

I also suspect that we will declutter moving in to the new house, trying to use the "if it doesn't have a home then it doesn't come into the house" mentality.

DDs toys are the hard bit. But I am now feeling optimistic that we will get there. I have even thrown out notes from school from over 20 years ago (that has survived over 15 moves)!

#21 Overtherainbow

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Fly lady can be a great help.

I find going through room at a time works for me.  If I start in the kitchen I do benches first, then fridge/freezer, pantry hen cupboard at a time.  I know how I want it to be at that my goal.

Kids bedrooms are done with the child.  They have a set area to put toys/books and it has to fit in there.  I help them each holiday making sure they only keep what they love and everything is in the right place.

I hang all my clothes backwards.  At the end of a season if it hasn't been turned around, it goes.  Makes it easy to see what's really used.

I aim to put one plastic bag full of stuff to Sammies each week when I take dd to dance.  Good way to cull books, clothing, etc.

When it comes to memories, I found the blessing of seeing a friends baby wear my children's clothing and not hav to buy it when she was struggling financially was far more rewarding.  I've only kept 2 outfits per child.

I have one filing box per child where I keep art and writing I value.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.