WWYD? Drinking problem of midwife? UPDATE POST 44

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

I am very conflicted here.  A very close family member I believe has a drinking problem.  She is a midwife (has been for over 30 years), and her drinking has been what I would class as an issue for close to 15 or so years.

However, previously she would drink more on her days off (she is a very nasty drunk too), and from what I saw not so much when she was due to work within the next 24 hours.  This has changed though over the last few years.

She is definately what I would class as an alcoholic.  At the moment her drink of choice is cask port, which she drinks out of normal size glasses (so about 250ml), and I know that she drinks at least a litre a day.  Everytime that I talk to her, she is either very obviously intoxicated, or I can't get hold of her because she is asleep (this can be any time day or night), or she has just woken up and feels ill.  Unless she is intoxicated somewhat, she says she always feels ill.

I have in the past tried to talk to her and suggest that maybe she needs help and she flies off the handle and gets abusive defending herself, and saying she does not have a problem.  

She has on many many times emotionally (and when I was younger physically) abused me, to the point where I changed my phone number last year as I was over it.  The only reason that contact was re established was because I received a phone call in the middle of the night saying that she had had a fall at home, and had broken her femur.

Anyway I am a big girl, and I have had enough of all the drama so I am cutting off contact for good.  My only issue is that I am worried about her profession and her putting at risk the lives of mothers and babies because of her problem.  I have had this worry for a while, and I know that some people will criticise because I haven't done anything sooner, but I was hoping she would change.  I am certain now that she will not, as she sees everyone else as the problem.

She works night shift, and 90% of the time she will basically drink from mid morning till 1pm or so.  She will then got to bed,(or pass out)  and get up at about 7pm, get ready and go to work for a 9pm start.  So my question is (and I am pretty sure I already know the answer), do you think that getting very drunk and then going to work in a job such as a midwife 8 hours or less later is something that I should report?

Edited by KylieMin0gue, 17 December 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#2 triangle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 16/12/2012, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am very conflicted here.  A very close family member I believe has a drinking problem.  She is a midwife (has been for over 30 years), and her drinking has been what I would class as an issue for close to 15 or so years.

However, previously she would drink more on her days off (she is a very nasty drunk too), and from what I saw not so much when she was due to work within the next 24 hours.  This has changed though over the last few years.

She is definately what I would class as an alcoholic.  At the moment her drink of choice is cask port, which she drinks out of normal size glasses (so about 250ml), and I know that she drinks at least a litre a day.  Everytime that I talk to her, she is either very obviously intoxicated, or I can't get hold of her because she is asleep (this can be any time day or night), or she has just woken up and feels ill.  Unless she is intoxicated somewhat, she says she always feels ill.

I have in the past tried to talk to her and suggest that maybe she needs help and she flies off the handle and gets abusive defending herself, and saying she does not have a problem.  

She has on many many times emotionally (and when I was younger physically) abused me, to the point where I changed my phone number last year as I was over it.  The only reason that contact was re established was because I received a phone call in the middle of the night saying that she had had a fall at home, and had broken her femur.

Anyway I am a big girl, and I have had enough of all the drama so I am cutting off contact for good.  My only issue is that I am worried about her profession and her putting at risk the lives of mothers and babies because of her problem.  I have had this worry for a while, and I know that some people will criticise because I haven't done anything sooner, but I was hoping she would change.  I am certain now that she will not, as she sees everyone else as the problem.

She works night shift, and 90% of the time she will basically drink from mid morning till 1pm or so.  She will then got to bed,(or pass out)  and get up at about 7pm, get ready and go to work for a 9pm start.  So my question is (and I am pretty sure I already know the answer), do you think that getting very drunk and then going to work in a job such as a midwife 8 hours or less later is something that I should report?

Check out the ahpra website, jsut google. It is the new registration body for health professionals. THere should be info on there. Or if not, search for the relevant nursing and midwifery board if your state and give them a call.

#3 asdf89

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Unsure of what state you're in... but I am friends with nurses in QLD and they've told me that 'as long as you're alright to drive, you're allowed to work' - i.e. .05 and under is fine. (i'm not sure if that's an actual rule, or just accepted practice)

If you are worried, report her to the relevant nursing authorities. Again not sure how much action would be taken on a report from a (relatively) uninvolved person (i.e. you're not a co-worker or patient) but if her drinking is as bad as you say, her co-workers have probably noticed as well.

#4 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (triangle @ 16/12/2012, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out the ahpra website, jsut google. It is the new registration body for health professionals. THere should be info on there. Or if not, search for the relevant nursing and midwifery board if your state and give them a call.

Yes I know about APHRA as I myself am a student nurse.

#5 starsg

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

If her job was one which didn't involve caring for extremely vulnerable newborns and their mothers, I might think twice but a midwife is a role of great care and responsibility. Yes, I think you need to report her. If something awful happened to one of the women or babies in her care because she was not 100% on the ball, I think you would feel awful and although it doesn't seem like a nice thing to do, perhaps being faced with the prospect of losing her job may prompt her to seek help which can only be a good thing.

#6 KeepTheFaith

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'm not sure if this applies to students, but I believe that all AHPRA full registrants are required, as part of their registration, to report on other AHPRA registered professionals when there are concerns such as this. I do know that it doesn't matter what discipline- I recently assisted a psychologist in making a complaint about a nurse, for example, when the nurse was risking patient safety at a Community clinic.

I would call AHPRA and discuss it further- if she is as bad as you say, then the potential for 'doing damage' is extremely high (assuming it hasn't already happened).

#7 Ange

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (asdf89 @ 16/12/2012, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unsure of what state you're in... but I am friends with nurses in QLD and they've told me that 'as long as you're alright to drive, you're allowed to work' - i.e. .05 and under is fine. (i'm not sure if that's an actual rule, or just accepted practice)

Really?? I'm under the understanding that it is zero alcohol allowed in your system whilst working! I'd be very shocked if a co-worker had a BAL of 0.01-0.05! (If a nurse under my shift had alcohol before work, I'd be telling her/him to go home)!

#8 asdf89

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Ange @ 16/12/2012, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?? I'm under the understanding that it is zero alcohol allowed in your system whilst working! I'd be very shocked if a co-worker had a BAL of 0.01-0.05! (If a nurse under my shift had alcohol before work, I'd be telling her/him to go home)!

It came up when talking about doctors on call (as in.. what happens if they have a drink with dinner and then get called in) ... as I said I don't know what the official rule is.

#9 KeepTheFaith

BTW, I'm not a nurse, but I do work with nurses (most of whom are midwives) in Far North Queensland. Our organization has a drug and alcohol management plan that includes being 0.00 for alcohol whilst on duty. We even have random breath testing to ensure this (as we do high risk remote work).

I would be really surprised if any nursing staff were allowed to practice with any sort of positive blood alcohol level.

#10 ~Sasquatch~

Absolutely report her. This isn't about disagreeing with her life styles choices, she is potentially putting mums and babies at risk. There are around 10 standard drinks in a 750ml of wine. I think port being a fortified spirit it would be more. So approx 15 standard drinks a litre at least. Which would then take 15 hours to leave her system. According to you she is leaving it 8 max. She would also be well over the limit to drive.

You could also call the hospital, ask to remain anon and tell them that she is coming into work drunk.

#11 Superman+4sisters

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Please report her. Tomorrow morning. You've been sitting on this for long enough. Time to take action. Call AHPRA: https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Notifications-and-...tification.aspx

From their website:
The professional conduct of health practitioners and students is guided by the ‘Codes and Guidelines’ and ‘Registration Standards’ of their relevant health profession.

Any person can notify AHPRA with concerns relating to the conduct of a registered health practitioner or student.

When a conduct-related notification is received by AHPRA, the health practitioner or student may be investigated by a relevant National Board, to ensure appropriate action is taken, if required, to protect the public.

Notifiable Conduct
Practitioners, employers and education providers are all mandated by law to report certain notifiable conduct relating to a practitioner or student. Registered practitioners who fail to report notifiable conduct may face disciplinary action by their National Board.

Such conduct includes:

•intoxication by alcohol or drugs while practising or training in the profession
•engagement in sexual misconduct in connection with the practice or training of the profession
•an impairment that places the public at risk of substantial harm
•a significant departure from accepted professional standards that places the public at risk of harm

How to make a notification:
1. You can make a notification about a registered health professional or student by downloading the Notification Form - NOTF-00 (663 KB,PDF), completing and mailing it to the AHPRA office in your state or territory.

2. If you have concerns regarding completing the form, need assistance or an interpreter, phone AHPRA on 1300 419 495 and ask to speak to a Notifications Officer in your state or territory.

https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Notifications-and-...tification.aspx

Please. Just do it. And thanks original.gif

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I too think you should report her. Her job requires clear thinking and the ability to make sound decisions, sometimes in very pressured environments. I know I wouldn't want any health professional administering a drug protocol on me for example while they were under the influence.

You know this about your aunt, you know she is probably putting patients at risk, IMO you have an ethical obligation to report.

Edited by Jemstar, 16 December 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#13 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 17/12/2012, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too think you should report her. Her job requires clear thinking and the ability to make sound decisions, sometimes in very pressured environments. I know I wouldn't want any health professional administering a drug protocol on me for example while they were under the influence.

You know this about your aunt, you know she is probably putting patients at risk, IMO you have an ethical obligation to report.

Not my aunt, is in fact my mother

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Apologies, I don't know where I got aunt from! From memory you have posted about this before. You need to do something. It's tough when it's a family member, but each and every one of us had a duty of care to people in our community and I think this is a very serious situation indeed.

#15 Brrrroooce!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Does she drive to work?

#16 ~TSC~

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

You've posted about her before I think? Report her to AHPRA. And contact her work in writing of your concerns. Keep doing it until there's action

#17 JustBeige

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

I would report her to AHPRA and I would also call the police when I know what shift she is on and tell them that this person 9 out of 10 times drives to work drunk and what profession she is in.

You will truly hate yourself if she kills someone either in  hospital or on the road.

If she gets reported to work AND the police, then maybe this is the 'rock bottom' she will need to stop.

Edited by JustBeige, 17 December 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#18 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Brrrroooce! @ 17/12/2012, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does she drive to work?

Yes she drives to work.  She has never had to do a breath test on the way to work before though.  I remember her telling me a couple of years ago that there was a random breath testing thing set up, and she pulled in, but they just waved her on when they saw her uniform and she told them she was on the way to work.  The drive is also only about 10 minutes, and there are rarely police or breath testing stations in the area at the time that she drives to work.

I do know that she used to (not sure now) drive to the local pub and drink and play the pokies (she has a gambling problem too I believe, as I have seen her blow $1000 in the space of a couple of hours) and then drive home.  I only know this as I caught her once, and she was just about veering down the road, and when I followed her home, she could barely walk.  Her car also has numerous scratch marks near the drivers side door, where it is obviously that she has struggled to get her key in the lock to unlock it and missed. (IYKMIM)
She also once asked DP to take her car to the tyre place to get 2 new tyres.  (She can't do anything for herself)  The guy at the shop took one of the tyres off and had to throw away the rim as it was so buckled it was dangerous.  He said the only way that this could have really been caused is by hitting the kerb at a reasonably high speed, and he was surprised nothing else on that side of the car was damaged.

#19 SplashingRainbows

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm pretty sure you know you should report your mother.

You also know who to and how.

Something's stopping you. Do you know what that is? It might help you more to work through that than whether we would all report your mum. You already know we all would, and that what she is doing is highly dangerous.

#20 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (brighton14 @ 17/12/2012, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure you know you should report your mother.

You also know who to and how.

Something's stopping you. Do you know what that is? It might help you more to work through that than whether we would all report your mum. You already know we all would, and that what she is doing is highly dangerous.

I think the reason I haven't reported her is because she is my mother and every bad thing that has happened so far in her life has been blamed on me.  As a child (from about 7 years of age) I was told I was the reason her and my father had marital difficulties. (They were both having extra marital affairs though I have since found out)  They eventually divorced when I was 20.  I was also told on numerous occasions that I was unwanted and I was a 'bad kid'.  For the record I was a straight A student, and I was a good kid.  I was called all the names under the sun by her, and I mean really horrid names, like 'dirty c*&t etc (and she still does to this day when she is angry and blaming me for something), and physically abused.  (Was dragged around by my hair, once had my head banged so hard on my wooden bed head that I nearly blacked out.  This was when I was 13)

Anyway I am pretty sure she will figure out who has reported her, and I am so sick of being blamed for things in her life.  The only people who know exactly what she is like, and how bad she is is my sister (who was also abused, but not to the same extent), and my dad.  (Although he turned a blind eye, and is now not interested in hearing about it)  People actually think that my sister and I exaggerate the way out mother treated us and what she is like today, but many have seen glimpses of her true self when she has had outbursts at family things etc., but even then they all turn a blind eye.

#21 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm sure i have read this before.

There is nothing else you can do but report her. You may have to suffer the consequences but she is putting mums and babies at risk.

#22 lozoodle

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Absolutely you should report her.

#23 liveworkplay

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Every hospital I have ever worked in had a 0% alcohol polo,y.
AHPRA are extremely helpful over the phone (rang for something completely different).

#24 ubermum

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 17/12/2012, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the reason I haven't reported her is because she is my mother and every bad thing that has happened so far in her life has been blamed on me.

Yeah, chances are she will blame you for this too if you dob her in. However, she won't know for sure, it could be anyone and your concious will be clear. Dob her in to AHPRA, they'll investigate.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

You've posted this before OP and it was a long time ago. You were given the same responses then as you are now so I will not repeat what I said as you obviously chose to let it go and only you know the reasons for that. sad.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.